Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Thought I'd come to the experts for advice. I'm looking for a D40x for my son (HS senior). Both of us have been watching these forums trying to decide between the Rebel and the D40. Went out to BB and actually handled both of them and he likes the feel and the controls of the D40x. Can't argue with that. Both are good choices and wouldn't go wrong with either but the decision has been made. Now I'm looking for the best deal. I'm looking for just the basic body with the standard kit lens...no additional goodies. I'm searching the net but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cheers

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill

Thanks for the reply. I found it here for $559 with the 18-55mm kit lens http://www.digicombos.com/product_p/nkd40xnk1855.htm

Anyone have any experience with this vendor?

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I don't have experience with that vendor, but for that price difference, it might be grey market. That's when camera equipment is imported from countries where it's available cheaper and then sold here. It's totally legal and I've bought equipment that way before. The only downside is since it's not intended for sale in the US, sometimes the warranties don't apply. You can contact the seller to ask if this is the case, or if they just have a great deal. But plenty of reputable sellers carry grey market equipment, so that's not a deal breaker if it is.

Also, I don't know if this is a good deal, but Costco has a two lens (18-55 and 55-200), bag, 1GB SD card kit on sale for $849.99 including shipping. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11238544

I've been vaguely looking for a D40X, just haven't decided if I want to spend the money. So I'll be very interested to see what deals you come up with.

EDIT: B&H has the same two-lens kit as Costco for $749.95 plus shipping, but without the case/SD card etc. Probably about comparable by the time you add in the price of the other stuff in the Costco kit, but personally I'd probably prefer to get a larger SD card and pick my own case if I was starting out.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/532273-REG/Nikon__D40x_Digital_Camera_2.html

mattwe

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Thought I'd come to the experts for advice. I'm looking for a D40x for my son (HS senior). Both of us have been watching these forums trying to decide between the Rebel and the D40. Went out to BB and actually handled both of them and he likes the feel and the controls of the D40x. Can't argue with that. Both are good choices and wouldn't go wrong with either but the decision has been made. Now I'm looking for the best deal. I'm looking for just the basic body with the standard kit lens...no additional goodies. I'm searching the net but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cheers

Right now, you can get the following from Amazon:

Order the Nikon D40 Kit for $488.59.
Order the 55-200 VR Lens for $203.55 and get a $100 instant rebate.
Order the Lowepro bag for $19.95 and get a $10 instant rebate.
Order the Lowepro strap for $19.95 and get a $19.95 instant rebate.
Order the Tiffin 52mm UV Filter for $6.99 filter and get a $6.99 instant rebate.

Total comes out to $602.09

I think this is a screaming deal (I have been watching prices on them lately) considering you know this is US model. There are tons of posts about why the extra money for the D40x is not justified, but I assume you have read those and still decided on the D40x over the D40. Substituting the D40x in on this deal you end up at $744.61, still a great deal.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Why the D40x? D40 should be great.

I'm sort of debating on this point too, and I know a lot of people have discussed it elsewhere. I just spent a while comparing prices on Costco.com, Amazon and B&H for the D40 and D40x with various kit options. The D40x basically comes out to be roughly $140 more than the D40 in any configuration. Relative to a price point of about $480-$850 depending on kit choice, that's anywhere from a huge to a notable but not bad difference.

How did you decide on the D40x instead of D40?

EDIT: Also, about this -

Where do you see the $100 instant rebate for the 55-200 VR lens? That really is a great deal...kinda tempted to jump at it.

EDIT Again:
Doh. Nevermind. I finally see it. They really don't do a great job promoting those specials considering I missed it while looking for it.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I found it here for $559 with the 18-55mm kit lens http://www.digicombos.com/product_p/nkd40xnk1855.htm

Anyone have any experience with this vendor?
If you don't buy from a known reseller (like B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc) make sure you check http://resellerratings.com. There are tons of scams on camera sales where you can end up paying more from a non-authorized dealer and end up with no warranty.

Most review sites can be very unreliable because these scammers populate the sites with false positive reviews. Resellerratings.com has more realistic ratings.

Digicombos has a 7.65/10 rating. Not too bad. The scammers typically have about .01/10 and so on. B&H is a 9.55/10.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
If you don't buy from a known reseller (like B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc) make sure you check http://resellerratings.com. There are tons of scams on camera sales where you can end up paying more from a non-authorized dealer and end up with no warranty.

Most review sites can be very unreliable because these scammers populate the sites with false positive reviews. Resellerratings.com has more realistic ratings.

Digicombos has a 7.65/10 rating. Not too bad. The scammers typically have about .01/10 and so on. B&H is a 9.55/10.

Woah! Thanks for the info.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Ok, ok. Having second thoughts bout the D40x and now looking at the D40. A bit easier on the wallet, yet still an excellent camera. Talked to my son about "lowering our/his sights" a bit and after he researched prices etc. seems to agree that the D40 w/ kit lens would be a good deal for a first dslr. So, still researching best price for a D40. Yes, as has been pointed out a D40x is "only" $140 more but that extra 140 is pushing things. I'll keep looking and appreciate everyone's help.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Ok, ok. Having second thoughts bout the D40x and now looking at the D40. A bit easier on the wallet, yet still an excellent camera. Talked to my son about "lowering our/his sights" a bit and after he researched prices etc. seems to agree that the D40 w/ kit lens would be a good deal for a first dslr. So, still researching best price for a D40. Yes, as has been pointed out a D40x is "only" $140 more but that extra 140 is pushing things. I'll keep looking and appreciate everyone's help.
If you spend the extra $140, you'd be much better off putting it towards a better lens anyway.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I think you've hit the same spot I have. After reading a bunch of reviews and forums debates, I think the D40x isn't worth the extra money to me either. I'm finding the Amazon deal extremely appealing. It seems to be the best deal for a D40 with the 18-55 and 55-200 VR lenses. Have you come across anything better?

EDIT: One thing I've been wondering about is the 18-200 VR lens with a D40 (either as a kit or body only then buying the lens). But it seems like the D40 is always packaged with a lens, right?

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
I think you've hit the same spot I have. After reading a bunch of reviews and forums debates, I think the D40x isn't worth the extra money to me either. I'm finding the Amazon deal extremely appealing. It seems to be the best deal for a D40 with the 18-55 and 55-200 VR lenses. Have you come across anything better?

EDIT: One thing I've been wondering about is the 18-200 VR lens with a D40 (either as a kit or body only then buying the lens). But it seems like the D40 is always packaged with a lens, right?

You can get a body only if you want. The one I buy will be a present and I want to make sure that my son can use it right out of the box...ie kit lens initially. Then "HE" can research and then buy a lens he wants. Hmmm, the Amazon deal looks good. Guess I'll need to buy an SD card as it doesn't come with one. Saw some on ebay...4gb for $10 and another $10 for shipping. Sounds good.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
You can get a body only if you want. The one I buy will be a present and I want to make sure that my son can use it right out of the box...ie kit lens initially. Then "HE" can research and then buy a lens he wants. Hmmm, the Amazon deal looks good. Guess I'll need to buy an SD card as it doesn't come with one. Saw some on ebay...4gb for $10 and another $10 for shipping. Sounds good.

Where'd you see a D40 body only? I've only come across the D40x body only. I couldn't find it on Costco/Amazon/B&H.

As for an SD card, $20 for a 4GB is a good deal, just check the speed. Amazon has high speed 2GB SD cards for $15 with free shipping on orders over $25, so you could toss that in with everything else if you're ordering from Amazon. Haven't had a chance to check their prices on 4GB yet, but that's also a LOT of photos unless you're capturing RAW...something on the order of 450.

EDIT: I'm tired and typing stupidly. I meant on the order of 450 photos for RAW, but it's on the order of 2500 photos for JPG.

schreck

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
New England
Never realized the great deals that could be had out there. Figured my discount at work was good enough..glad I found out that how incorrect I was!

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
I could swear that I found a body only but I've been to so many sites looking at the D40 or D40x I could be mistaken. If I find it again I'll post the site. Boy, that Amazon deal is looking good. Throw in the "free" strap and add on a 2gb card and everything would be ready to go. You know, tomorrow is supposed to be the "big" day for online ordering/stores. Supposed to be some good deals. I'll be checking. If anyone finds anything PLEASE post. Cheers

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
...Guess I'll need to buy an SD card as it doesn't come with one. Saw some on ebay...4gb for $10 and another $10 for shipping. Sounds good.
Be very careful about ordering flash cards on eBay. Most found there are inferior Chinese counterfeits. Either they don't have the specified capacity, or they are so substandard you end up losing a whole day's shoot to corrupted memory. $10 for a 4 GB card has a very bad smell to me. I wouldn't do it.

Newegg often has good deals on flash memory. I have bought CF cards from them for very good prices. Also watch for rebate deals from Sandisk, Lexar, etc.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Be very careful about ordering flash cards on eBay. Most found there are inferior Chinese counterfeits. Either they don't have the specified capacity, or they are so substandard you end up losing a whole day's shoot to corrupted memory. $10 for a 4 GB card has a very bad smell to me. I wouldn't do it.

Newegg often has good deals on flash memory. I have bought CF cards from them for very good prices. Also watch for rebate deals from Sandisk, Lexar, etc.
I was thinking the same....too good to be true. Amazon had a 2gb Kingston SD for $15 which seemed ok.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

Order the Nikon D40 Kit for $488.59.
Order the Lowepro bag for $19.95 and get a $10 instant rebate.
Order the Lowepro strap for $19.95 and get a $19.95 instant rebate.
Order the Tiffin 52mm UV Filter for $6.99 filter and get a $6.99 instant rebate.

Total comes out to $602.09

That is an incredible deal. Get the chequebook.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Amazon has this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f=noref?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1196085888&sr=1-1
D40 w/ 18-55mm kit lens and the Nikon 55-200 mm Zoom $559. Any experience with this 55-200 zoom. My son would like a zoom and he does want to do macro shots also and it would seem that this is a pretty good deal to do now opposed to buying a zoom separately. Your thoughts?

I think this is only slightly cheaper than buying the 55-200 VR lens through Amazon separately with the $100 instant rebate. To me, the extra money (I think it's something like $20-$30) for the VR is an amazing deal. VR promises to be very useful both for telephoto and macro use. http://nikonimaging.com/global/technology/vr/index.htm

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Well, I think I've made up my mind. Here's what I'll be getting http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
Note that the 55-200 mm is NOT the "VR" lens. Kind of limited regarding $ but this deal seems too good to pass up. I know that my son will want a zoom and this will get him started. Unless I hear something dreadful about this 55-200 I'll be burning the numbers off my credit card tomorrow. Cheers

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Well, I think I've made up my mind. Here's what I'll be getting http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
Note that the 55-200 mm is NOT the "VR" lens. Kind of limited regarding $ but this deal seems too good to pass up. I know that my son will want a zoom and this will get him started. Unless I hear something dreadful about this 55-200 I'll be burning the numbers off my credit card tomorrow. Cheers

I think you've done well. It's a good starter kit.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
I think you've done well. It's a good starter kit.

Hope so:). My son was visiting some photography forums and he said that they all recommended the Canon Rebel. Basically because of the auto focus lens issue between it and the D40/D40x. He has handled the Rebel and the D40/40x and really preferred the Nikon. I told him that if he felt that way then he'd never be happy with the Canon and the Nikon would serve him well, especially starting off. I'm sure that it won't be his first and last dslr. He's actually "contributing" to the additional lens. The D40 with the kit lens and the 55-200 zoom is about $90 more than just the D40 with kit. I couldn't "swing" or should I say justify the additional money to the "boss" (read wife) so I approached my son with a proposition. Would he be willing to make a $90 "investment"? One that he wouldn't regret???? The 55-200 lens sells by itself for $154 so, a $60 savings. I know, the 55-200 VR is selling for $180 which is just a bit more but when do you say stop. Kind of like buying a new computer, right after you get it there's another one that's cheaper and faster. Get what you can and don't look back. Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.