PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook 12in best prices

Ipaqman
Sep 22, 2003, 11:06 PM
hey,

I am going to get the new 12 inch g4 1ghz. Where is the best place to get them for the best price. Are there any good deals out there.

Thanks so much,
Ipaqman

Doctor Q
Sep 22, 2003, 11:33 PM
Go back to school. Take an evening or weekend class at your local junior college, and buy a Mac at the education price. You'll have a new Mac and learn needlepointing or auto repair too!

Ipaqman
Sep 22, 2003, 11:35 PM
i do go to school, so i could get the educational price. is that the cheapest? what is the buy a mac and ipod deal?

thanks for your help.
ipaqman

Doctor Q
Sep 23, 2003, 12:56 AM
The best price I found on a 12" PowerBook was at U.C. San Diego, which had 'em for $100 less than the Apple Store for Higher Education (http://www.apple.com/education/hed/) price. So check your school's computer store in case they have a deal too. I got a free printer through the You save, they rave (http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/promo_you_save_they_rave.html) deal and another $200 back by purchasing an iPod and PowerBook together. The two deals together are called the Buy a Bundle, get a Bundle back (http://www.apple.com/education/promos/bts/) deal. Both deals end in 5 days (Sept. 27) and you may have to take delivery, not just order, by then, so buying at school might be better than the online Apple Store for Education anyway. Note that the $200 deal doesn't apply to the lowest configuration of the 12" PowerBook.

Abstract
Sep 23, 2003, 08:12 AM
No, it doesn't work with the 12" iBook CDROM model. It works for all qualifying Macs, but if I were you, I would buy a 12" model already available at school to take advantage of the Buy A Bundle deal. If they have to order the machine, you won't be able to take advantage of it. I believe the machine has to be in your possession before Sept 27th.

Paperstreet
Sep 23, 2003, 08:57 AM
This isn't necessarily true. Call apple about that bundle deal. They're making concessions for their shipping delays. I've heard from others here and at spymac.com, that as long as its all ordered together on the SAME invoice before the 27th, you'll be fine. I'd call just to assure yourself, but this looks like a good deal.

revenuee
Sep 23, 2003, 09:05 AM
I found the apple website store educational discount to be about $150 less then that at my college bookstore

Do that if you can afford to wait.

QCassidy352
Sep 23, 2003, 07:52 PM
I have ordered a new 12" PB combo and first, abstract is right - the "buy a bundle" *does* apply to the 12" powerbook, just not the 12" ibook with cd-rom.

Paperstreet is also correct that apple is relaxing the "take delivery by 9/27" requirement. As the salesman I spoke to on the phone put it, if you order before the 27th, Apple isn't going to hold you responsible for their inability to ship the product fast enough.

If you're a student, buying direct from apple (or from your bookstore if it has good deals) is definitely the way to go.

applemacdude
Sep 23, 2003, 10:25 PM
Contact Backtothemac, hell give you a great deal. just contact him ok

tazo
Sep 23, 2003, 10:41 PM
Following up with what Applemacdude said

backtothemac is a Macrumors.com member and works with generalcybernetics,

a mac reseller and tech company.
He might be able to get you a better deal.

PM him!