Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleWoW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
SLC, Utah
If anyone has a new iMac or and older gen iMac and runs WoW and raid alot. (lots of UI changes) Could they tell me what they get in areas like SSC or TK? Also a screenshot of the FPS and video settings would be nice! Thanks!

MacSync

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2005
Lurking
WoW

I was in Gruuls last night on my new 24" iMac 2.4ghz. I was running at max resolution (1900xsomething:eek:) and getting 60fps. I just got it Friday so I have not had too much time for testing. Most of my video settings are set at the defaults or bumped up slightly for better detail. Sorry I'm being so vague about the settings. I spent much more time enjoying the new machine than diving into the particulars.

Also, I only got the default 1Gig of ram. I'm ordering more today, I just didn't want to pay the Apple Stores pricing.:D

miller218

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
nearly the same situation

I have the 20" 2.4 iMac. I'm not raiding yet, but it was a huge step up from my eMac (1.25 GHz, 1.5 GB Ram). I can see so far that it almost seems like cheating and the extra detail is amazing. The best part is it's so much more playable

However, when I fly into Shattrath City, I get about 0.2 frames per second. It clears up after a while. Other locations like Honor Hold aren't as bad. I also have a second GB of RAM ordered, so hopefully that will clear things up. It's really starved for memory

The other place that was pretty awful was Gnomeregan when fighting one of the Acrane Nullifiers. All the effects really suck down the performance.

I was in Gruuls last night on my new 24" iMac 2.4ghz. I was running at max resolution (1900xsomething:eek:) and getting 60fps. I just got it Friday so I have not had too much time for testing. Most of my video settings are set at the defaults or bumped up slightly for better detail. Sorry I'm being so vague about the settings. I spent much more time enjoying the new machine than diving into the particulars.

Also, I only got the default 1Gig of ram. I'm ordering more today, I just didn't want to pay the Apple Stores pricing.:D

AppleWoW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
SLC, Utah
I have the 20" 2.4 iMac. I'm not raiding yet, but it was a huge step up from my eMac (1.25 GHz, 1.5 GB Ram). I can see so far that it almost seems like cheating and the extra detail is amazing. The best part is it's so much more playable

However, when I fly into Shattrath City, I get about 0.2 frames per second. It clears up after a while. Other locations like Honor Hold aren't as bad. I also have a second GB of RAM ordered, so hopefully that will clear things up. It's really starved for memory

The other place that was pretty awful was Gnomeregan when fighting one of the Acrane Nullifiers. All the effects really suck down the performance.

Nice to hear and I cant wait to get mine cause going from 1.25 GHz dual core to 2.4 will be a huge upgrade for myself! I would still like to see some screen shots if possible. Now for your issue do you think it has to do with your 1GB of ram? Currently in Shatt I can get around 7 FPS on my machine.

jaka

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2006
I thought the 24" comes with 2g ram as default? I'm looking into getting a new Mac that can run better than my MB but I'm still not hearing anything about the 24" being perfect for it. If I'm going to buy a new machine I want it to be perfect!

AppleWoW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
SLC, Utah
So would my 20" with 4GB of ram run WoW full screen with max settings with a crap load of addons? With atleast 15 FPS during raid?

rjames86

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2007
San Francisco
I'm running the original iMac 20" 2.0ghz intel with 1GB RAM, 256 VRAM. I run 30+ mods and graphics turned all the way up (except distance). I run anywhere from 20-60fps. Usually in instances like SSC/TK its 60fps unless there is a lot of spell damage going around. Then its in the 20s but there is no noticeable lag of any kind.

You can see here that my fps is 12.3 but I'm thinking that was because of the screen shot on crit. Screen shots always give a big lag spike.

1216539142_9727ebfd3f_b.jpg

AppleWoW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
SLC, Utah
I'm running the original iMac 20" 2.0ghz intel with 1GB RAM, 256 VRAM. I run 30+ mods and graphics turned all the way up (except distance). I run anywhere from 20-60fps. Usually in instances like SSC/TK its 60fps unless there is a lot of spell damage going around. Then its in the 20s but there is no noticeable lag of any kind.

You can see here that my fps is 12.3 but I'm thinking that was because of the screen shot on crit. Screen shots always give a big lag spike.

Awsome thanks so much! Just what I was looking for! This has helped me out alot! The screenshot was espcially helpful! If any others could post SS's that would be nice to get a a general range! :D

Edit: here is a screenshot of what my UI currently looks like same fight as yours yet...not in the fight but after.

screenshot111707013922hr1.jpg

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
I too am curious to see what peoples results with a iMac and WoW are. I am raiding SSC/TK (armory Earthenwrath) with my guild and need a new computer. I just don't want a PC but am concerned I will be getting a machine that is unable to handle World of Warcraft on maximum settings with all of my raiding addons.

Should I just bite the bullet and buy a Windows based PC or will the new 24" alu iMac handle the game? I suppose I could always return it for $100 restocking fee if I'm not satisfied but... I'd rather just get it right the first time.

rjames86

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2007
San Francisco
I too am curious to see what peoples results with a iMac and WoW are. I am raiding SSC/TK (armory Earthenwrath) with my guild and need a new computer. I just don't want a PC but am concerned I will be getting a machine that is unable to handle World of Warcraft on maximum settings with all of my raiding addons.

Should I just bite the bullet and buy a Windows based PC or will the new 24" alu iMac handle the game? I suppose I could always return it for $100 restocking fee if I'm not satisfied but... I'd rather just get it right the first time.

iMac all the way. My iMac is going on three years old and I run full graphics and its great. the 24" imac would be amazing. I want to get one myself.

miller218

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
The second Gig Of ram cleared up the landing in Shatt problem very nicely.

Game performance is all about the Graphics in the system.

I also set up Boot Camp just for curiousity's sake. I'll try WoW on Win XP to see what difference there is.

Nice to hear and I cant wait to get mine cause going from 1.25 GHz dual core to 2.4 will be a huge upgrade for myself! I would still like to see some screen shots if possible. Now for your issue do you think it has to do with your 1GB of ram? Currently in Shatt I can get around 7 FPS on my machine.

AppleWoW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
SLC, Utah
uhh alot I can get you an exact list if you want? Mainly x-perl or discord unit frames (if you can find a good one that works) prat, bartender, fubar, grid, swstats, omen, and much more

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
I have a:

20 inch 2.4 alum, 1g of RAM. Looking at the Org bank I get a solid 60fps with default settings, and in Bg's I get even higher at 70 to 80. Indoors, it hovers around 120.

I'm happy :D

Dillenger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2006
Central, Illinois
uhh alot I can get you an exact list if you want? Mainly x-perl or discord unit frames (if you can find a good one that works) prat, bartender, fubar, grid, swstats, omen, and much more

Still a bit new to the game so could you post links. Right now I use Cosmos, but what your screen shot displays looks much more informative than Cosmos, and thanks.

AppleWoW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
SLC, Utah
if you want to know everything about my UI please send me a PM and ill get back to you with links and the most important addons that I use...and yes cosmos was the first thing i downloaded but didnt like. I like to mix and match. Anywho you can find most addons and packs at wow.curse.com or wowace.com .. yeah so if you want to know please just PM me and ill get to you asap.

I have a:

20 inch 2.4 alum, 1g of RAM. Looking at the Org bank I get a solid 60fps with default settings, and in Bg's I get even higher at 70 to 80. Indoors, it hovers around 120.

I'm happy

And thats nice to hear that you get those high FPS with only 1GB but remember you are in old world (azeroth) and not outland and if you could tell me your video settings that would be awsome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.