PDA

View Full Version : Buy now or wait till Jan MW Expo?




kagharaht
Nov 26, 2007, 09:13 AM
I can't decide. I want this device, but I'm worried about two things. If I buy it now will Apple release a new one right after Jan MacWorld Expo, or will Apple announce that they are going to be discontinued. Which I would end up scrambling to get my hands on one? Anybody have an inside scoop at all on the future of Apple TV? :confused:



zedsdead
Nov 26, 2007, 09:29 AM
There is documented evidence that there are Rentals coming to iTunes. Strings have been found in The iPhone, itunes, and the iTunes store as well. These all point to a Wi-Fi Store on the Apple Tv. Apple had been a little bust lately with the iPhone, leopard, the new iMacs, Ilife, iWork, the new iPods, and there entire professional video and audio editing applications. Many people are expecting an Apple Tv update, although it might he more software based rather than hardware based. Jobs himself said back in the middle of the year that an apple tv announcement was "coming soon" and that has yet to appear.

In short, I would wait until macworld. Although remember that the largest difference likely to occur Is going to be in the software, so all owners will be eliagable, like how the iPhone updates are done.

Mindflux
Nov 26, 2007, 09:44 AM
It'll be interesting to see what pops up. I just got a 160GB AppleTV and I'm pretty pleased with it.

peeaanuut
Nov 26, 2007, 10:07 AM
I would say wait. There is the chance that a hardware upgrade will be coming at MW but that chance seems small. If they do decide to discontinue them at MW I wouldnt think they would be hard to find. Just wait for that exact day and than go get one if they say they are discontinued. If they do release hardware upgrades you will be glad you waited.

However, i cannot imagine much of a hardware upgrade coming. I would think more software and feature upgrades are on the horizon. Just my 2 cents. I am pretty happy with both of my aTVs.

amakh007
Nov 26, 2007, 03:00 PM
Wait.....
MacRumors states new flagship Apple TV will be out....with optical drive, possibly HDDVD or Blue Ray.....

http://macosrumors.com/

wmealer
Nov 26, 2007, 03:57 PM
Wait.....
MacRumors states new flagship Apple TV will be out....with optical drive, possibly HDDVD or Blue Ray.....

http://macosrumors.com/

And if you believe that, I have some swamp land in Louisiana you just might be interested in.

Superman07
Nov 26, 2007, 04:21 PM
And if you believe that, I have some swamp land in Louisiana you just might be interested in.


:) Nice.

I actually have the same two concerns. Either you buy and it's out of date. Not a problem if the update is software based. Or, you buy and the product is axed. Granted you would still have a useful product, but you're very unlikely to get anything more out of it.

psychofreak
Nov 26, 2007, 04:24 PM
I'm still thinking there may be an interlinking between the iPhone/iPod SDK and an SDK for the AppleTV...simple games galore!

ob81
Nov 26, 2007, 04:41 PM
I need 2 ATV's. I bought one, and waited to buy the other just incase one was released in January.

bluesjam
Nov 26, 2007, 05:58 PM
Buy now only if you buy tv shows or movies from itunes store.
I'll say wait till January as its not a big deal, we all waited almost a year to buy a new mac for leopard so wait as there might be something new on the horizon with Apple being secretive as always.
If they discontinue it you might as well rush to get one and it probably be on discounted price.

amakh007
Nov 26, 2007, 06:00 PM
And if you believe that, I have some swamp land in Louisiana you just might be interested in.

Whatever....waiting 6 weeks with the possibility of a major overhaul seems like a smart decision.....

nutmac
Nov 26, 2007, 07:04 PM
Whatever....waiting 6 weeks with the possibility of a major overhaul seems like a smart decision.....

Over the last few years, MacOSRumors hasn't gotten a single rumor right. PowerBook G5, 42" Apple Plasma TV, Leopard running more than 100% faster than Tiger, iMac Extreme Edition optimized for video games, to name a few.

billselak
Nov 26, 2007, 09:07 PM
I can't decide. I want this device, but I'm worried about two things. If I buy it now will Apple release a new one right after Jan MacWorld Expo, or will Apple announce that they are going to be discontinued. Which I would end up scrambling to get my hands on one? Anybody have an inside scoop at all on the future of Apple TV? :confused:

I just ordered my 160 :apple:TV on Thanksgiving. My Apple inside guy convinced me to wait til Thanksgiving for the big push. Now, he said he's glad I went ahead and got one. It was agonizing, but I'm tired of waiting.

sWaltuo
Nov 26, 2007, 11:06 PM
I would say wait. There is the chance that a hardware upgrade will be coming at MW but that chance seems small. If they do decide to discontinue them at MW I wouldnt think they would be hard to find. Just wait for that exact day and than go get one if they say they are discontinued. If they do release hardware upgrades you will be glad you waited.

However, i cannot imagine much of a hardware upgrade coming. I would think more software and feature upgrades are on the horizon. Just my 2 cents. I am pretty happy with both of my aTVs.

I think this is your answer. I mean it is win-win. Unless you absolutely NEED it now and can't wait another month (I mean you have waited since they announced it almost a year ago). But I don't see any reason anyone would absolutely need an :apple:tv. Don't get me wrong I love my :apple:tv and if they release more than a software update for it I will get a new one and put the old one in my bedroom.

Anyway, I'd say wait. You have nothing to gain by getting it now ..

MikieMikie
Nov 27, 2007, 06:46 AM
And don't forget the 2 week grace period the apple retail stores give. Buy one 2 weeks before the MWExpo and if there's a new one, you can bring it back.

-- Mikie

kagharaht
Nov 27, 2007, 09:23 AM
I would say wait. There is the chance that a hardware upgrade will be coming at MW but that chance seems small. If they do decide to discontinue them at MW I wouldnt think they would be hard to find. Just wait for that exact day and than go get one if they say they are discontinued. If they do release hardware upgrades you will be glad you waited.

However, i cannot imagine much of a hardware upgrade coming. I would think more software and feature upgrades are on the horizon. Just my 2 cents. I am pretty happy with both of my aTVs.

All good advices from all, thanks. I will take this route. Wait till MW expo. If nothing happens I'll buy one. In the meantime, it will give me time to Apple TV my DVD movies. :)