PDA

View Full Version : Largest Artic Ice Sheet Brakes Up

Mr. Anderson
Sep 23, 2003, 07:53 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/09/22/arctic.ice.reut/index.html

Kind of scary to think what the long term problems will be here.....that much fresh water mixing with the ocean could be an issue.

Also, this is at the northern most part of North America and continued melting over the next couple decades could see the whole arctic ice sheet break up....

D

Waluigi
Sep 23, 2003, 10:24 AM
I seriously hope that this is just a natural occurrence, not due to hundreds of years of human pollution. I have heard a theory that the earth fluctuates its temperature over time, and we happen to be in a time when the temperature is a few degrees warmer. If that isn't the case, what can be done to prevent this? Your right, this is scary, almost as scary as the destruction of the rain forests...

--Waluigi

Mr. Anderson
Sep 23, 2003, 10:30 AM
It does change temps over time - just currently its been getting warmer.

The thing is that even though its breaking up, we're at the end of September and its going to start freezing again.

The problem is that many things are measured in the arctic by the age of the ice - this ice shelf is very old, not seasonal ice....if it turns seasonal it will have a profound affect on the planet.

D

patrick0brien
Sep 23, 2003, 10:51 AM
-Gents

This is at the crux of wether Global Warming is caused by humans.

I feel there is little doubt that Global Warming exists, question is wether humans have caused it, and if there is anything we can do about it.

There have been periods in the distant past when the Global climate has been far warmer than it is now - remember, the Globe is still recovering from the last ice-age. While this warming is disturbing to we humans who've been here only for the last 50,000 years, this may be perfectly normal.

Frankly, I don't know how we can determine the difference between this being caused by us, or not.

crap freakboy
Sep 23, 2003, 12:13 PM
"Hi, can I have a BigMac Meal with Diet Coke...oh and extra ice in the coke please"

MrMacMan
Sep 23, 2003, 04:18 PM
We all know that the Ice Ages come and go in cyclic patterns...

But our next one *should not be happening so soon*

Yeah global warming has not made an affect on the map...

:(

bennetsaysargh
Sep 23, 2003, 05:20 PM
i hope that it doesnt get out of hand and causes a diaster:(

Thanatoast
Sep 23, 2003, 05:38 PM
Global warming may not be our fault, but I'd rather not help it along, if you know what I mean.

superfunkomatic
Sep 23, 2003, 05:39 PM
i think it's time that north-americans realize that our habits have a profound effect on our environment. and perhaps it's time for governments like canada, us and the uk to offer subsidies to companies finding more sustainable ways of providing energy rather than fueling the pig that is the oil industry.

it could just be a coincidence that the ice is breaking in the arctic, but it also corresponds with the industrial revolution. hmmm... scratch head here. hey cletus, maybe there's a correlation here?

MrMacMan
Sep 23, 2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Thanatoast
Global warming may not be our fault, but I'd rather not help it along, if you know what I mean.

Thats like

'Thining the Forrest' By Selling the land to the lumber companies right?

:rolleyes:

idea_hamster
Sep 24, 2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Kind of scary to think what the long term problems will be here.....that much fresh water mixing with the ocean could be an issue.
There was a documentary that talked about relatively recently discovered geological information suggesting that the melting of ice in the North Atlantic, while a part of a general warming trend, may actually shut down the Gulf Stream causing a localized deep freeze in northwest Europe. Bundle up, Brits! Brrrrr!

Mr. Anderson
Sep 24, 2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by idea_hamster
There was a documentary that talked about relatively recently discovered geological information suggesting that the melting of ice in the North Atlantic, while a part of a general warming trend, may actually shut down the Gulf Stream causing a localized deep freeze in northwest Europe. Bundle up, Brits! Brrrrr!

Exactly, dumping that much fresh water into the Atlantic would screw up the the whole system of currents, the Gulf Stream being just one of them.

Its going to take a lot more to have the whole icecap melt, and I doubt we'd see it in our life times, but it is a concern for future generations.

As for this being a manmade phenomena or not, well, all the pollutants and greenhouse gasses can't be helping the situation.....

D