Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zed888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
just wanted to get people's thoughts on what they think apple should include in the next version of the ipod touch. My suggestions are as follows:

1) in-built radio (FM and DAB digital radio) with the ability to record live radio stations directly on to the ipod
2) longer battery life
3)standard headjack so you can use your own headphones
4)voice memo recorder
5) larger memory capacity (32 GB? 64GB?)

also when do people think the next version of the touch is likey to be introduced? my guess is the middle of next year...?

milszils

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
1st it does have standard heaphone jack
2nd we will not see radio unless it is internet based and i doubt we will see a new 1 until start of '09

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
just wanted to get people's thoughts on what they think apple should include in the next version of the ipod touch. My suggestions are as follows:

1) in-built radio (FM and DAB digital radio) with the ability to record live radio stations directly on to the ipod
2) longer battery life
4)voice memo recorder

also when do people think the next version of the touch is likey to be introduced? my guess is the middle of next year...?

It is a standard headjack as above said, but 64GB will be a little too much i think, 32BG maybe... voice memo recorder, okay, i don't think we'll get better battery life, because then it would be better than the iphone because the iphone would have 3G and that takes like apple says more battery... internet radio would be nice, if they make a nice app for this with alot of channels..

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
I think second generation will be 16gb and 32gb versions, and there's no doubt that 32gb version will be much more expensive than 16gb. Flash based memory is still very expensive to produce so it's a long way ahead till 80gb and up flash memory gonna be cheap and affordable. If you want to have 100gb or more storage then for the next few years the only option is ipod with hard drive on board. Maybe they gonna make ipod touch with hard drive for big storage enthusiasts? Who knows...

big-blue-wolf

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
15.8 miles from Molineux
I would have said external volume controls so you don't have to press the home button, then slide to unlock to adjust the volume.

But today I found if you double press the home button when the touch is locked it brings up the volume controls which you can use without having to unlock.

Having said that, external volume controls would be nice.

zed888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I think second generation will be 16gb and 32gb versions, and there's no doubt that 32gb version will be much more expensive than 16gb. Flash based memory is still very expensive to produce so it's a long way ahead till 80gb and up flash memory gonna be cheap and affordable. If you want to have 100gb or more storage then for the next few years the only option is ipod with hard drive on board. Maybe they gonna make ipod touch with hard drive for big storage enthusiasts? Who knows...

i don't think hard drive ipod touch will ever happen - apple are trying to reduce the size of ipods, not increase it.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007

2) longer battery life
4)voice memo recorder

and a built in speaker.

voi666

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
- 32gb
- dedicated volume button
- built in speaker
- open platform (you can dream, right)

that's pretty much all i would need

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
i don't think hard drive ipod touch will ever happen - apple are trying to reduce the size of ipods, not increase it.
but the mini hard drive's technology have been significantly improved. Look at iPod classic, Touch is not much thinner than classic, and classic has hard drive on board. It is possible to make a mini hard drive with lots of gigabytes.

JHKL

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2007
Toronto, ON
The biggie for me (and I know this will never happen) would be Bluetooth functionality that could be used to share a data connection with a cell phone. I really wish I could use the data plan on any cell phone with the Touch web browser... Would be nice to have some "anywhere Safari" access here in Canada.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
the Touch will never come with a microphone or other voice-memo taking ability. That is, unless you pay a $100 upgrade fee and sign a 2-year contract :D

madofrain

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
Internet radio

helloo,

'1) in-built radio (FM and DAB digital radio) with the ability to record live radio stations directly on to the ipod'

Well if you use installer there is a radio app called 'IRadio' from Conceited.
there's an article here on 9-5 mac on it.

http://www.9to5mac.com/iRadio-for-iPhone-43252344

For an early release it's very stable and sports a genre browser exactly like itunes.
No record functionality as yet, but it's still an early version and hey, its free so..

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I would go for an external volume dial or slider.

Voice recording would be cool but not something I'd expect.

More memory, obviously. My 8 gig Touch is sufficient for now but I won't be able to really use it as intended (for carrying around lots of videos and music) until it at least matches my current iPod capacity (e.g. 32 gigs).

Longer battery life, obviously.

There are minor software improvements that I'd like to see. For example, in the "Now Playing" screen, the default is to show you the cover art in full-screen. If you want a track list, you need to tap the icon in the upper-right corner. I'd like the option to default to the track list screen (or keep it in this mode) instead of seeing a giant cover art photo (which is cool looking but not functional). This would also be a big help when driving.

(I find the Touch to be perfect as a car iPod, because it's much easier to glance over at the bigger screen and tap somewhere once, while driving, than it is to try and manipulate a click wheel. If it could only stay in track list mode...)

Also, to access the song scrub bar, you need to tap to make it appear. The option to have it always there would be nice. And while we're at it, make the scrub icon bigger as I find it hard to "hit".

I would also like the option to force the iPod into a particular orientation. Sometimes I listen to music or surf the net while lying down in bed, and it goes into landscape mode when I don't want it to.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
radio function will be solved to add updated software. currently apple already has radio remote control. it's not working with touch. it will be. it's not neccessary to put it physically. even I bought radio remote control, I used 2-3 times so far. I might never use it again.

Apple usually changes, improve ipod with updating software. it's all about software. so I want to see something rather than what you made list up there.for example, without hacking, mail, weather, stock, note pad, sms texting, google map widget will be working just like iphone.

only thing I wait for new version is capacity. it will be upgraded 32GB soon. so I don't mind. yeah, longer batter life. well, now I am satisfied with it. mine goes up to 26 hours without wifi. with wifi, it goes up to 23 hours. so I am fine. but if life would be longer than 26 hours, I will be happier.

sojer2005

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
mine goes up to 26 hours without wifi. with wifi, it goes up to 23 hours. so I am fine. but if life would be longer than 26 hours, I will be happier.

!!!
23 hours with wifi???? I hope battery in my touch is not broken...

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
2) longer battery life
4)voice memo recorder

1. You have the internet. That's enough streaming content right there. And Apple wants you to buy their radio adapter for extra money.
2. The battery life now is fine. A bigger battery would make a bigger device, as well.
3. It's already there.
4. Not going to happen. That means that the device would get a microphone which would be too risky because people would want to develop voip for it. That would kill the iphone.
5. You've got a long time until 64GB. 32 might come in September or at macworld 2009.

The device has only been around for like two months and people are already talking about all of these ridiculous upgrades. Once the device is actually refreshed, there will be a lot of forumers complaining that it didn't get every single feature under the sun with a price drop...

madofrain

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
streaming

1. You have the internet. That's enough streaming content right there. And Apple wants you to buy their radio adapter for extra money.

Don't know if i'm missing a trick here, but my ipod touch doesn't stream media out of the box..
It plays Quicktime downloadable content, but not streaming, same goes for real player, wma and of course flash..
There's a 3rd party remote access app called telekinesis that will stream content from your mac..But thats about it.

Apple will drag their feet and then make you pay. If your that desperate for new features,you have to go 3rd party i'm afraid.

isshou

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
2) longer battery life
4)voice memo recorder

1.- What is the point?. You have the internet, meanwhile use iRadio app. It works fine.
3.- You already have it.
4.- Nop neither bluetooth, :apple: don't want you to use VoIp
5.- Eventually but some time still for the 64GB

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
  • Built-in speaker
  • 32GB
  • VOIP, as I read earlier this week that the touch is found to have a built-in microphone of some sort?

All in all, not too much?
Although the VOIP is a doubt because it's basically an unlocked iPhone minus the contract, then..

cmuench

macrumors member
May 15, 2007
I would also like the option to force the iPod into a particular orientation. Sometimes I listen to music or surf the net while lying down in bed, and it goes into landscape mode when I don't want it to.
Amen brother. This is my biggest pet peeve with the touch. It going to a mode that I don't want it to. I wish their was some way to "lock" it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.