Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I'm about to embark on the fun-filled (I use the term loosely) trip to see the in-laws which entails two 5 hour flights plus 2 weeks of sitting around with people who speak solely French, a language I do not yet speak (everyone should speak English or shut up [kidding kidding! it's from a comic])

I will be bringing my PSP and DS and my gf will have her GBA Micro so any portable platform is groovy. What should I get? I was thinking of getting FFXII:RW for the DS or maybe Disgaea for my PSP but I dunno, i'm not very into portable games so...

I don't have much new, only Phantom Hourglass and FFT for PSP so most stuff will be new to me :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Pokemon ate up 50 hours of my time.

Revenant Wings is out? Time to get this imported!

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I was so looking forward to the DS game. The SNES with the 3-tap adapter was so much fun when I was younger.

I've owned the game for a year, but finally decided to give it a go. I ended up shutting of my DS and throwing the cartridge in my game drawer. If they hadn't dropped the ball with online co-op, I would have at least drudged through it with my friend online.

I'm currently looking for another Zelda or Magical Starsign fix. Because of these two games, the first thing I tried to do with Children of Mana was move my character with the stylus. :)

<]=)

Kwub

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2007
If you're into strategy RPGs, the PSP is your best friend in the world right now. Currently that blasted Jeanne D'Arc is sucking away every ounce of my free time, and both Disgaea AoD and Final Fantasy Tactics WotL are incredibly good renditions of the PS1 classics, especially if you've never played either before (I'm a first time newbie to Disgaea, and thus far I'm finding it to be one of the most addictive [and hilarious] titles I've played in ages). I finally finished playing Puzzle Quest after clocking in like 40 hours, but I'm already feeling the urge to return to its bizarre Bejeweled-meets-Final-Fantasy world of wonder.
Beyond that genre, there are several other more recent PSP titles that I've found quite enjoyable. Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles is excellent, especially if you're as big of a classic Castlevania fan as I am. Silent Hill: Origins is every bit as good as the original (but not a huge step forward, I must admit). Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow is even better than its predecessor. Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron is a heckuva lot better than some reviewers would have you believe. Brave Story is pretty good if you're in the mood for the most generic RPG you've ever played in your life, after Final Fantasy 3 for DS of course, albeit with vastly superior graphics. Manhunt 2 is decent, but not really worth the full retail price, if you ask me. Wipeout Pulse is probably the best entry I've yet to play in the entire series, but if you're not a fan already it certainly isn't going to convert you.

As for the DS's more recent affair, I must say that Revenant Wings is among the best titles I've ever played on the system, and certainly much better than most reviewers are saying. Orcs and Elves is fairly addicting if you can overlook the hideous graphics, but it's nothing incredible (pretty much the same as the cell phone version, which isn't a bad thing per se). Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations easily wins my "best in series" label. Dementium: The Ward is another title that's much better than reviewers would have you believe. Dragon Quest: Jokers seems pretty darn fun, but I've only played about an hour or two of it so I can't really speak for the entire game.
And, of course, if you haven't picked up Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin as of yet, then there shouldn't be anything holding you back; it's not quite as amazing as Dawn of Sorrow, but it's pretty darn close if you ask me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.