PDA

View Full Version : Is VisualHub seriously the best in converting AVI to MP4?

je1ani
Nov 27, 2007, 02:05 AM
I mean seriously isn't there something a little better? The quality is really rediculous and this setting was on "Go Nuts."

http://i7.tinypic.com/8bswnci.png

I am going to try a little something new.. I am using the advance feature and putting in the original file size in MB and try "Two Pass." Will this help? Thanks!

mooty
Nov 27, 2007, 06:30 AM
I'm using the trial version and so far unimpressed with its attempt to convert .avi to .mp4

Very blocky on low res stuff on Go Nuts settings with 2-pass. Just about to test a HD 720 mkv conversion

xUKHCx
Nov 27, 2007, 06:38 AM
Is that Machu Picchu on your desktop?

wmealer
Nov 27, 2007, 09:14 AM
I have found VH to be better than QT Pro mainly because of the level of control VH gives you. All you can do in QT Pro is select the AppleTV option and cross your fingers. Unless you want to get into a custom mp4 setting, that is.

For .mkv files, VH is darn near the only solution on a mac. VLC limits you to a 3072 bitrate or something like that, and FFMPEGX isn't user-friendly enough for my taste.

daveL
Nov 27, 2007, 10:18 AM
Are you selecting H.264 encoding?

Mindflux
Nov 27, 2007, 10:25 AM
First: You are transcoding. You will *ALWAYS* lose quality moving from one lossy format (DivX) to another lossy format (MP4).

This is like converting an mp3 to an ogg, or even an mp3 to another bitrate mp3. You lose data, it's data compression/compromise.

I wouldn't ever expect to take an AVI, toss it through VH or anything else to convert it to any other format other than VOB, which you would NOT lose any more quality, but you also do not gain quality.

mr_matalino
Nov 27, 2007, 12:44 PM
Is that Machu Picchu on your desktop?

It sure looks like it.

dextertangocci
Nov 27, 2007, 01:49 PM
Yes. I swear by it:)

je1ani
Nov 27, 2007, 03:10 PM
It sure looks like it.

lol yes someone was on my computer and messed with the screensaved and wallpaper

bmb012
Nov 27, 2007, 03:44 PM
Don't use 2 pass encoding. I would have thought that that would actually make the quality better, but it doesn't...

And definitely make sure you have h.264 selected.

RubberChicken
Nov 27, 2007, 04:17 PM
I usually use High setting for transcoding and make sure you set H.264. Go Nuts should not be necessary in my experience, and may even increase your file size. Your sample shows a much greater loss of quality than I have seen with my conversions. I have noticed the difference in gamma between Standard and High, similar to your sample, with standard showing darker than the original.

7on
Dec 13, 2007, 12:35 PM
I use ffmpeg

gkarris
Dec 13, 2007, 12:42 PM
Comparing the two looks like your output res is lower...

Use the custom settings if you are picky about that stuff...

billabong
Dec 13, 2007, 04:32 PM
No matter what program you use, you are going to loose some quality. But I am still very happy with visual hub. Until AppleTV can accept higher bitrates, you will lose some quality from the source. But it still looks great on a hi-def TV.
http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/5/12/13/f_Picture1m_24a3c85.jpg

Brentnal
Dec 13, 2007, 09:22 PM
The quality loss you are seeing here is becuase Quicktime plays MP4 files alot DARKER than other players. Open up your original DivX in VLC side by side with your MP4 in VLC and the quality will be alot more similar.

Background: Quicktime has a bug when decoding MP4 files and causes the output to be alot darker than what it should.

Keep in mind - your apple TV uses quicktime to play the files aswell :P

billabong
Dec 14, 2007, 12:55 AM
The quality loss you are seeing here is becuase Quicktime plays MP4 files alot DARKER than other players. Open up your original DivX in VLC side by side with your MP4 in VLC and the quality will be alot more similar.

Background: Quicktime has a bug when decoding MP4 files and causes the output to be alot darker than what it should.

Keep in mind - your apple TV uses quicktime to play the files aswell :P

http://img36.picoodle.com/img/img36/5/12/13/f_vlcsnap1399m_784625b.png
here is a screen from VLC. That is weird that quicktime darkens the image like that. They don't seem darker when playing through the appleTV....

live4ever
Dec 14, 2007, 01:45 AM
Just choose passthrough for video so it doesn't re-encode, it should be very quick too.

wmealer
Dec 14, 2007, 10:04 AM
Just choose passthrough for video so it doesn't re-encode, it should be very quick too.

I wish it was so easy...

live4ever
Dec 14, 2007, 05:30 PM
Here's the settings I use to convert an avi (XviD mpeg4 video & 5.1 ac3 audio) that I made in Handbrake before for my Philips DivX DVD set top player.

The video is passed through and the audio encoded to stereo aac for playback on an iPhone.

http://i17.tinypic.com/8fjomts.png

madmaxmedia
Dec 14, 2007, 06:54 PM
Here's the settings I use to convert an avi (XviD mpeg4 video & 5.1 ac3 audio) that I made in Handbrake before for my Philips DivX DVD set top player.

The video is passed through and the audio encoded to stereo aac for playback on an iPhone.

This works because Xvid is MPEG4 compliant, or vice versa or whatever, right? So you only have to re-encode the audio, and put the whole thing in a new container.

I had always wondered if this was possible, I guess it depends on how the original video was encoded. I am gonna try this with a random vid right now...

7on
May 8, 2008, 10:59 PM
This works because Xvid is MPEG4 compliant, or vice versa or whatever, right? So you only have to re-encode the audio, and put the whole thing in a new container.

I had always wondered if this was possible, I guess it depends on how the original video was encoded. I am gonna try this with a random vid right now...

Did this work?

madmaxmedia
May 8, 2008, 11:53 PM
Did this work?

No. I think there are too many different encoding settings and other variables, so for any given clip may it will work, maybe it won't.

For example, there are different profiles for H.264 encoding, and the iPods will play certain kinds (the more basic settings.)

Borjan
May 9, 2008, 04:36 AM
Hiya there.

I'm using iSquint at the moment, and I too found the AVI -> MP4 conversion to be kinda poor...

But I'm on an ibook G4 1.33, so I didn't use the H.264 setting, because it jsut seemed to take to long. But like OP, even using 'Go nuts', the result was poor...

So are people saying that if I use a 'High' setting and H.264, I'll have something that basically looks like my source?

Because all I want is the quality to be kept the same... nothing more!

NightStorm
May 9, 2008, 08:45 AM
Hiya there.

I'm using iSquint at the moment, and I too found the AVI -> MP4 conversion to be kinda poor...

But I'm on an ibook G4 1.33, so I didn't use the H.264 setting, because it jsut seemed to take to long. But like OP, even using 'Go nuts', the result was poor...

So are people saying that if I use a 'High' setting and H.264, I'll have something that basically looks like my source?

Because all I want is the quality to be kept the same... nothing more!

The quality will never be the same... at the very least you are converting between two lossy formats. This is even true using Handbrake to go from DVD -> MPEG-4.

madmaxmedia
May 9, 2008, 09:44 AM
Select 2-pass encoding, that will at least help minimize the damage.

H.264 is better, but probably not worth the wait on a G4.

Borjan
May 9, 2008, 12:31 PM
Cheers, guys tried using H.264 on a smaller file, and using iSquint I much closer using Go Nuts setting....

If I try and use FFMPEGX with similar settings but 2-pass... it should improve further right?

And in terms of raw speed... FFMPEGX or iSquint?

madmaxmedia
May 9, 2008, 12:46 PM
I believe iSquint is actually just a front-end to ffmpegx.

You can also do 2-pass with MPEG4 and the results should not be that bad.

Borjan
May 9, 2008, 01:34 PM
Can't do 2 pass with iSquint it seems, so I think I'll just have to stick to ffmpegx...

dynaflash
May 9, 2008, 01:40 PM
VisualHub, iSquint and ffmpegx are all Gui's for ffmpeg.

Borjan
May 11, 2008, 12:40 PM
Well, I went ahead on bought VH, partly thanks to how much people are praising it, and partly due to the fact the developer has a great sense of humour!

Anyway, I've realised that my goals (using files that are about 170MB per 24min episodes):

1) To convert AVI to .MP4

2) Preserve as best as I can the quality of the file (not amazing to begin with, but I'd like it not to get any worse)

3) Have the files size be roughly the same/smaller.

4) Have these files compatible with iPods, as well as Front Row and :apple:TV

Right... so far, the first one is easy. Likewise, thanks to the easy presets in VH, the last one is also okay. Trouble comes when making number 2 and 3 play together. I know, I know, its going to be tough, and slow since I'm on a G4 1.33Ghz iBook.

My question is as follows.. has anyone had any luck keeping file sizes the same, as well as quality... NOT using H.264?

Macsterling
May 11, 2008, 07:40 PM
I always use Quicktime Pro to convert my avi files and I never lose any quality. I download a lot of avi files and never have a problem opening them in quicktime. Of course you will need a plugin for this......

Borjan
May 15, 2008, 11:58 AM
Just so people know...

http://www.aroona.net/VideoDrive/Home.html

Came across this one.

Don't know anything about how well it works, but if all you want is to import into iTunes (if you want to then put them on your iPod, then you'll need to convert) then this *might* be a much quicker solution.

But as I said, haven't used it, and not planning to. Sticking with VH, since I've paid for it! :p

pj4533
May 15, 2008, 05:13 PM
I used VH for a while converting avis to mp4s, but had tons of problems. Interestingly, I only noticed the problems after I got more particular about the quality of output I was getting. I was having trouble using the h264 encoding, as it would darken the image and look noticably different the avi played thru quicktime/perian. I posted about this here about a month ago....

Anyway, that issue, combined with general lack of quality, caused me to eventually bite the bullet and hack my ATV for divx/xvid playback. I thought it would be a bigger deal, but it was easy and now I never reencode anything, so I get the best quality possible!

If you are technically proficient at all, I recommend doing the same. Its much better than jumping thru all the reencode hoops. I figured I'd have lots of problems getting the hacking stuff to work, but i think its the phrase "hack your apple tv" that scares some people (it scared me away for a while). Really its just "install sshd. then install perian and ATVFiles".

-pj

neven
May 15, 2008, 05:32 PM
Anyway, that issue, combined with general lack of quality, caused me to eventually bite the bullet and hack my ATV for divx/xvid playback. I thought it would be a bigger deal, but it was easy and now I never reencode anything, so I get the best quality possible!

If you are technically proficient at all, I recommend doing the same.

Keep in mind, if you go this route, you won't be able to play those files on iPhones/iPods/other people's computers. This may not be an issue for you, but it's what's kept me transcoding.

My eyes are honestly not eagle-like enough to tell the difference once this stuff is up on the TV or my iPhone.

cazlar
May 15, 2008, 06:27 PM
My question is as follows.. has anyone had any luck keeping file sizes the same, as well as quality... NOT using H.264?

You are always going to get MUCH better results using H.264 rather than plain .mp4 encoding. But I understand your pain having an old iBook (I was until recently encoding stuff on a 1Ghz 12"PB and it is sooooo slow compared to even a mini or MB). So I suggest you either suck it up and spend the hours (days?) encoding at H.264 for the quality, or live with the reduced quality file, or larger file size, for the time being. If you go with the latter, I'd keep the source .avi archived somewhere though, so when you get a faster computer you can re-transcode it with H.264.

pj4533
May 16, 2008, 08:19 AM
Keep in mind, if you go this route, you won't be able to play those files on iPhones/iPods

yeeeeah, I fall into the David Lynch camp when it comes to watching films on your phone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

:D

-pj

MikieMikie
May 16, 2008, 11:59 AM
Man, that Lynch.

What a cahd. What a maroon.

sharecong
Aug 29, 2008, 02:32 AM
search google: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&newwindow=1&q=video+converter+for+mac&btnG=Search

AdrianK
Aug 16, 2011, 04:24 AM
yes, i think,

Do you? I hear that Snowsoft total converter (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=219017&highlight=) will do it too :rolleyes: