Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesLam07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Johnstown, PA
I need some advice from all you cool people at Mac Rumors. I'm going on a trip to visit a college (the Art Institure in York, PA) this Friday November 30, 2007. The car we're taking has a CD player and a couple cigarette lighters to charge stuff in. This is a semi long trip, about 4 hours maybe more or a little less. I want to play my ipod video without using an FM transmitter. Is this possible?

I'll need to be charging my iPod most of the time, as it is getting old and the battery is going, but that's ok because i'm getting an 80 gig iPod Classic from Santa!

Any input is very very appreciated!

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
With only a CD player (no aux jacks or ipod interface) FM transmitter is your only option, second to installing a new head unit or wiring in an FM modulator; both not going to happen unless you know the owner of the car VERY well.

Is the problem with using a transmitter the (poor) quality? Because you can fit 4 hours worth of audio on about 4 CDs.

JesLam07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Johnstown, PA
Yeah, it is mostly because of poor quality and bad reception. We have to go through a couple of long tunnels and there are some places where the FM transmitter just doesn't work.

That is a good idea though. I can take my FM transmitter and use it when it will work and then take CD's of my favorite songs and pop those in when the FM Transmitter is acting funny.

Thanks for the advice!

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Yeah, it is mostly because of poor quality and bad reception. We have to go through a couple of long tunnels and there are some places where the FM transmitter just doesn't work.

That is a good idea though. I can take my FM transmitter and use it when it will work and then take CD's of my favorite songs and pop those in when the FM Transmitter is acting funny.

Thanks for the advice!

FM transmitters should actually work *better* in a tunnel because there would be less radio interference.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007

Or you could take a Macbook and a few CD-RWs. Sync up your iPod, charge your mac, and voila! CD's on demand!

JesLam07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Johnstown, PA
Yeah, one would think it would work better, but it doesn't, at least not for me. The radio doesn't even work right in those long tunnels.

Thanks for the helpful ideas everyone!

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
If you have a cassette deck , you can buy a cassette adapter

I think the point of his post was the only "interface" he had was radio and CD player.

Otherwise, that would be the best option.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Yeah, one would think it would work better, but it doesn't, at least not for me. The radio doesn't even work right in those long tunnels.

The reason being the broadcast station is somewhere above land, way outside the tunnel. The tons of concrete, steel, and earth around the car (inside tunnel) is blocking the signal of the station (outside tunnel.)

The FM transmitters turn your iPod into a mini radio station. When you drive into a tunnel, you take the station with you. Simply put, there's really no way that it would operate poorly in a tunnel vs. outside.

Imagine it like a flashlight and a paper bag. The flashlight (the transmitting station) cannot get into the paper bag (the tunnel), so if you stick your head (the car) in there it's dark. If you take the flashlight with your head, inside the paper bag, suddenly its light in there.

This isn't a very far stretch because both light and radio are identical phenomena; Electromagnetic waves, just at (drastically) different frequencies.

JesLam07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Johnstown, PA
thanks for the advice, everyone! I ended up buying a new FM Transmitter and it worked quite well. FM Transmitters just seem to not work very well in this area, but they're ok on long road trips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.