Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Hi There,

I just got my first Mac! I love it. But I've got a problem. I installed boot camp creating a 20GB partition in Leopard. Rebooted and installed Windows XP SP2 Professional. Installed the drivers from the Leopard DVD rebooted and everything is fine.

When I was installing Windows I choose the Boot Camp partition I made which I did a quick format to NTFS. Now when I turn my iMac on it boots Windows by default! After installing Windows is my Mac altered to boot Windows by default now? How can I correct this? Is this normal?

Thanks

Danny

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
In Windows:

1. Go to the Start button. Choose Control Panel.
2. Open up Boot Camp.
3. From here, there is an option that will allow you to change whether you boot up in to Windows or OS X on your next reboot.

When the computer is turned off:

1. Hold the Option key when you power up.
2. Wait for the icons of each bootable partition to show up on the screen.

In OS X:

1. Go to the Apple menu. Select System Preferences.
2. Open up Startup Disk.
3. From here, you can select which partition to boot up from on your next reboot.

danny_boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
In Windows:

1. Go to the Start button. Choose Control Panel.
2. Open up Boot Camp.
3. From here, there is an option that will allow you to change whether you boot up in to Windows or OS X on your next reboot.

When the computer is turned off:

1. Hold the Option key when you power up.
2. Wait for the icons of each bootable partition to show up on the screen.

In OS X:

1. Go to the Apple menu. Select System Preferences.
2. Open up Startup Disk.
3. From here, you can select which partition to boot up from on your next reboot.

Thank you. I'll try that when I get home. So once I change the boot order in Windows will my iMac boot into the last used operating system?

Danny

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
My Mac Pro keeps booting into Windows, no matter how many times I set it for OS. The very next time I restart without first going to the System Preferences and setting OS X as the startup disk, it goes to Windows. Very annoying. I've tried resetting the whatever the equivalent of PRAM is, but it didn't change.

higginsoft

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
My Mac Pro just starting doing the same thing yesterday. I've not booted into Bootcamp since I installed Parallels over a year ago, now it does it every time I cold boot. I've set the startup to Macintosh HD in both Windows and MacOS, but it still boots in Windows first thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.