PDA

View Full Version : Universal's CEO Once Called iPod Users Thieves. Now He's G...

MacBytes
Nov 28, 2007, 09:01 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Tunes
Link: Universal's CEO Once Called iPod Users Thieves. Now He's Giving Songs Away. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20071128100146)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

jephrey
Nov 28, 2007, 10:47 AM
Here's an idea for a "record" company.

Name: Performance Pays
This record company distributes albums for free in a lossless format, hoping to attract customers to band merchandise and live concerts. Bands more or less record albums as demos or for marketing, to get people into their shows and to get them to buy their merchandise. Part of the merchandise is CD booklets that you can buy to put your burned CD in which allows people to have a physical item. Sure, there will be CDs for sale as well, but the price will cover the booklet and stamping of the CD (with minor profits of course) making people more likely to buy the item at a low price. The band can also offer up soundboard recordings and/or video of their live performances (as some already do) to further generate revenue. Maybe this isn't for all bands (especially ones that suck live), but most bands starting out already employ the theory of giving away their music in some way, giving out demos to whoever to build a fan-base. If they want to spend a year or 2 working on an album, that's their own perogative. There are other bands that can generate a great album in 7 days, and maybe that ability is part of being a good musician. If I had an entire year for music production, I could probably make a good album, tricking people into thinking I am a good musician. Maybe these people need to be weeded out?

I don't know. People dub tapes, copy cds, now copy files. It's just gotten easier, but "stealing" music has existed since consumers have had a way to record audio. The amount has increased per capita, but so has the amount of so-called artists. I didn't know I'd come to the conclusion that music should be free, but I guess that's where I am. There's plenty of money to be made as a musician without CD sales. The record companies need to see that. I think many artists already do, but are only using the record companies for a little extra income.

That's my opinion.

J

Eraserhead
Nov 28, 2007, 11:02 AM
Some people don't go to concerts ever. Recorded music is certainly still worth something though.

giles117
Nov 28, 2007, 11:21 AM
Spend 100+ hours in the studio making a record and your concept of MUSIC should be free will quickly change....

rjfiske
Nov 28, 2007, 11:47 AM
By his own admission he knows little about technology, yet is fully behind an unproven model for the manufacturers of the hardware, and indeed currently unpopular model for the end user. For what purpose? To dethrone Apple? He says it's to benefit the musician but...

If he does indeed care first and foremost about getting more money to the music makers, and if iTunes represents 20-22% of all music legitimately sold in the US, then it seems Universal as the most powerful record label should work with Apple, not against them. They're selling unprotected MP3's at Amazon? There should be no reason whatsoever to not do that at iTunes as well. Its as if they want to sell a physical product on a shelf and are saying "We know that Wal-Mart is the largest retailer in America and we're bound and determined to sell it elsewhere".

Draddy
Nov 28, 2007, 12:23 PM
Spend 100+ hours in the studio making a record and your concept of MUSIC should be free will quickly change....

+1

Was that idea above serious or a joke? you really think that would actually work? :rolleyes:

kaiwai
Nov 28, 2007, 01:07 PM

Alot of artists, its a wasted 100hours. I'd sooner see less artists and more original music rather than the recycled garbage.

These should be the questions:

1) Can you play an instrument?
2) Can you write music?
3) Can you write lyrics?
4) Can you sing?

Say no to anyone of those 4 and kick them to the curb. You'll find that you would have a very slimmed down operation.

ftaok
Nov 28, 2007, 01:25 PM
Alot of artists, its a wasted 100hours. I'd sooner see less artists and more original music rather than the recycled garbage.

2) Can you write music?
3) Can you write lyrics?
4) Can you sing?

Say no to anyone of those 4 and kick them to the curb. You'll find that you would have a very slimmed down operation.That's ridiculous. Thare are lots of people that can't do all four, but can do one or two at a very high level. If the music industry was open only to four-tool artists, then you'd be left with almost nothing.

How would anyone field a band with only 4-tool players to choose from?

ft

rjfiske
Nov 28, 2007, 04:06 PM

2) Can you write music?
3) Can you write lyrics?
4) Can you sing?

Say no to anyone of those 4 and kick them to the curb. You'll find that you would have a very slimmed down operation.

Thereby eliminating the works of Paul McCartney, Jimi Hendrix, Barry White, Dr. Dre and Eddie Van Halen, among others.

Music is not a science.

Geetar
Nov 28, 2007, 04:52 PM

2) Can you write music?
3) Can you write lyrics?
4) Can you sing?

What's your area of expertise, so that I can mouth off nonsensical stuff I pulled out of my...whatever.... about it?