PDA

View Full Version : So how many "re-calibrated" after 10.2.8?

coolbreeze
Sep 24, 2003, 12:49 AM
I know I did, after seeing my battery life go from 3.5 hours to 1.5 hours. Not sure if "re-calibrating" my "not brand-new" battery was the right thing to do?

Just wondering. I feel a bit jaded by 10.2.8 so far. Guess we should wait a week before updating, like the Apple rep told a poster.:rolleyes:

hugemullens
Sep 24, 2003, 01:09 AM
My battery life went from 3 1/2 hours to 2 hours. How do i recalabrate?? i definetly need to, or start talking new battery from apple.

EDIT: i did what apple said and drained into force sleep, then fully recharge, didnt help. :(

coolbreeze
Sep 24, 2003, 01:48 AM
You did a full drain and recharge that quick? Well, I am still in the process. Even if this works, it shouldn't be a requirement. Or am I wrong?

hugemullens
Sep 24, 2003, 01:53 AM
I did it as soon as i realized i had bad battery life this morning, i am draining it again, i just didnt realize that qualified as recalabrating. I even reset the pmu and nothing as far as success.

Daveman Deluxe
Sep 24, 2003, 02:11 AM
Weird, I haven't had any problems with battery life. I played Neverwinter Nights for about an hour this evening and went from about 80% to 30%, which isn't bad to begin with.

Still, in the five months that I've had this particular battery, my battery life seems to have gone from four hours to three and a half. Perhaps that's just because I spend less time on battery with the screen dimmed as I take notes in dimly-lit lecture halls. Guess I'll find out, school starts again in a week.

Horrortaxi
Sep 24, 2003, 09:02 AM
YIPES!!! After reading this I pulled my iBook off the charger and it says only 1:30 of charge. It's usually well over 3 hours. Not good. I'll run it down and reset the PMU but it does't sound like that'll do anything based on other people's experience. Now what?

beefcake
Sep 24, 2003, 09:15 AM
I drained my battery to sleep, recharged, and still have awful battery life. Fortunately I can avoid unplugging my TiBook for the near future, but sooner or later Apple needs to release a fix for this. My battery life was cut by over an hour.

crees!
Sep 24, 2003, 09:49 AM
OS just calculates it wrong

From what I've heard other people saying is that it is OSX that is not calculating the battery life correctly. You should still have the same amount of charge you did before the 10.2.8.

damson34
Sep 24, 2003, 02:05 PM
after installing my update on my 900mhz 14 inch iBook it said 2 hrs and i drained the battery and charged and it is no back up to over 4 hrs normally.

jaykk
Sep 24, 2003, 02:26 PM
After the update my battery life went down I thought - it reports just 2:00, but I get about 3:30 hrs still from my Ti550 Mhz. The calculations are just wrong, as far as I can tell.

hugemullens
Sep 24, 2003, 02:43 PM
I'm down slightly still, i got 2:50 when normally in the same situation i would get around 3:15, but never once did the powerbook show over 1:54 remaining, so the OS has issues, and it also ran for 12 minutes on 0%.

saabmp3
Sep 24, 2003, 06:22 PM
Although the calculations are somewhat wrong, battery life is down. My TI 667 DVI says 1:30 left at 100% charge. I get a little less than 2 hours off of that. I don't know how people can say that's normal when 2 days ago I got three easy.

BEN

Marlon_JBT
Sep 25, 2003, 07:59 PM
Switch to the percentage view. My experience is that it is now correct, and a great way to calculate the remaining battery. The time just isn't working like it should.

BrandonRP0123
Sep 25, 2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Marlon_JBT
Switch to the percentage view. My experience is that it is now correct, and a great way to calculate the remaining battery. The time just isn't working like it should.

Indeed. My Powerbook 12" says 1:54 after full charge - but the percentage (percentage over time...) seems to be working better.

macrat
Sep 25, 2003, 11:59 PM
I didn't download the 10.2.8 but after reading these posts, I checked my battery timer and I have the same problem!!! Full charge used to show 4 hours on my PB17. Now I am only getting a reading of 2 hours at "100%" charge.

Not good.

jimthorn
Sep 26, 2003, 12:46 AM
I've been running OS X 10.2.8 for a couple of days on my iBook 900MHz. No problems, and I show about 3.5 hours when I go to battery.

Do you think it matters if you're running on battery (i.e. not fully charged) when you install the OS update?

robbents99
Sep 26, 2003, 02:03 PM
I've got a Pismo and I've drained the battery, recharged it, turned it on the next morning and I've getting 1.30mins on my battery life do I have to drain it again?

Horrortaxi
Sep 27, 2003, 10:41 AM
I reset the PMU and have run the iBook until it goes to sleep twice. Each time the time reported goes a little higher. The battery still has decent life but the reporting is definitely screwey. It will go up and down frequently--28 minutes, 27 minutes, 34 minutes, 33 minutes, etc.

shadowfax
Sep 27, 2003, 12:25 PM
my ghz tibook is definitely doing the same thing. when i first did the update, it would say 1:20 remaining. after one recalibration, it's now saying 1:40 remaining. i am thinking i will do that again. but even with the 1:20 calculation, i still got 2.5+ hours out of it, compared to my usual ~3.