Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

News.com's blog reports that Google is set to launch a new feature in Google Maps for Mobile that will automatically set our location even in phones that lack a global positioning system (GPS) device.

This "My Location" feature uses the same technology as Navizon and triangulates your location based on nearby cell phone towers.
The My Location feature "complements" GPS functionality, because it works indoors, doesn't drain the battery as much as GPS does, and is much faster (a few seconds compared with what can be a few minutes on GPS), according to Lee.
The new feature is launching as a "beta" as Google builds the database of cell towers from people using Google Maps and is said to be accurate within 10 city blocks.

Google Maps for Mobile is available for a number of phones including the iPhone. The iPhone's version, however, is not yet upgradable to this new beta version. Apple has indicated it plans on deploying new features to the iPhone over time, so it seems likely that this feature may find its way into a future iPhone software update.

Youtube video of new feature: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6gqipmbcok

Article Link

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Wow :eek:, this is really cool stuff. This will see significant refinements and improvements over the next few years. I wonder how (if at all) it may be used with the new platform Google is building for mobile phones.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
The technology to do this has been around for ages, but I had always assumed it required co-operation from the network provider.

If Google find a way to do this without the explicit support of the network provider, then there's gonna be a lot of annoyed networks out there.

Go Google! :D

SL

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
How Similar to Navizon? Lame, Google, Lame. I never forgave Apple for cloning Konfabulator, and I may never forgive you for cloning Navizon...

Oh who am I kidding. I love Google. I just wonder when they're going to pop... Seem to be spreading themselves a little thin, don't you think?

Regarless, redimentary GPS should be a requirement of any mobile mapping service, so I'm not complaining about this.

Now to attain a phone capable of accessing Google Maps...

-Clive

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Very good! I'm after a GPS functionality as I do a lot of climbing and walking over the moors.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
10 city blocks is a pretty big error bar when you're trying to get directions to something in a city...but it's better than nothing.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I'm really hoping Apple gets this out there for the iPhone sooner than the February SDK release.

wake6830

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
This is new? My Helio Ocean has had this exact same thing since I got it back in like May.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Navizon does EXACTLY this, even using iPhone's gMaps...hardly a new thing!

Came around 50m from me...

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
This is awesome!! I want it now. Theres nothing new under the sun, its great that google is adding this support. Great implanentation.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
10 city blocks is a pretty big error bar when you're trying to get directions to something in a city...but it's better than nothing.

If you're in the middle of the city, you're probably 30 yards from a street sign...

I see this having more of a use if you get kidnapped and dropped off in the middle of nowhere along a country highway or something...

...or maybe a suburban maze of hell, hehehe. Oh come on, I love the suburbs...

-Clive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.