Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kkatyboo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Hi... I've been browsing around the forums before I go to posting and I just have a couple of questions if you can please answer. Sorry if they have been asked.

1. Can an iPod touch get viruses? If yes, what viruses can they get? Do you know if apple would replace a infected IPT ?

2. What is jailbreaking ???

3. Does the film that you can buy to put over the screen work and when you put it on... does it really STICK, and if you were to take it off, it would leave the sticky residue on it?

and last....

4. What risks do you take when you go to hack ?

ps.... ONE MORE!!! Why does the week of your ipod matter and how do you find out the week?

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
1. I don't think an Ipod Touch can get viruses. Even if it could, you'd only need to restore it, and it would be fine.

2. Jailbreaking means essentially hacking the iPod by downloading and installing a small program that allows you to then install other programs to give more functionality. For example, the Touch doesn't ship with Mail, Stocks, Weather, Maps or Notes like the iPhone does, but you can add them through Jailbreaking, as well as many other applications.

3. No idea, but the screen seems pretty tough. I'm considering leaving mine nekkid.

4. As for risks... I believe that worst case scenario you restore the iPod to default settings, which erases all music/movies/additional apps, but fixes any problems.

Your week number is in your serial number... should be something like 3VBxxUP... etc, where xx is your week. Should be in the 30s or 40s. It matters because most of the defective screens seem to be before week 39 or so.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
1. Not exactly sure. I don't think there have been any documented cases.
2. "Jailbraking" means to set the iPod touch free from Apple's control, so to speak. Right out of the box, there is no way to add extra application like google maps, weather, stocks, etc, all the stuff that the iPhone has. Jailbraiking allows you to hack the iPod touch so as to install applications: the ones the iPhone has, and many others.
3. Not sure, haven't used any.
4. None really to my knowledge...at any time you can restore (i.e. reformat) the iPod using iTunes which will erase the hacks. Supposedly, jailbraking voids the warranty if Apple finds out you did it (not 100% sure on this one - please correct me if I'm wrong) - but the entire process of jailbraking is as easy as going to a URL...
5. Week 39 and up you should be fine, but newer units still have problems. I myself have been through 7 - all of which had stuck pixels.

Edit: Darn, epicwelshman beat me to it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.