PDA

View Full Version : Apple threatens resellers: don't talk about iPhone

MacBytes
Nov 28, 2007, 11:39 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Apple threatens resellers: don't talk about iPhone (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20071129003953)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

macFanDave
Nov 29, 2007, 09:11 AM
Or Fight Club.

Orng
Nov 29, 2007, 09:56 AM
Misleading Title.

It should read: "Don't provide support for illegally(?)- acquired unlocked iPhones"
And since the article is about Australia, that's all iPhones, except for those owned by people traveling from an iPhone-enriched country, who are to be referred to blah-blah help line.

mpw
Nov 29, 2007, 10:10 AM
More of same from Apple.:rolleyes:

Not content with selling hardware locked to software, software locked to hardware, hardware locked to service providers, services providers locked to hardware, etc. etc. now they're controlling who can talk to who.:mad:

gkarris
Nov 29, 2007, 10:17 AM
... and that would be for Australia - probably since the phone is not ceritified by their Government Telecom entity.

If someone has a phone there, it's probably hacked...

But, what about the official unlocked ones from Europe?

mpw
Nov 29, 2007, 10:27 AM
...what about the official unlocked ones from Europe?
Apple expect you to phone Apple in your home country.

desenso
Nov 29, 2007, 10:40 AM

Not content with selling hardware locked to software, software locked to hardware, hardware locked to service providers, services providers locked to hardware, etc. etc. now they're controlling who can talk to who.:mad:

I know, they're so evil.

mpw
Nov 29, 2007, 10:44 AM
I know, they're so evil.
I wouldn't say evil, but they are frustratingly restrictive.

Orng
Nov 29, 2007, 10:59 AM
In a related topic, I just received a flyer from Comwave (http://www.comwave.net/CDN/iPhone/index.htm) (Canada) advertising their 4-year old iPhone-branded VOIP service.

I'd scan in the flyer but it adds nothing to the info at the link above, except for multiple shots of a cute blonde posing with a phone. Woot!

When we last heard from Comwave iPhone (http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/10/11/tech-iphone-trademark.html) they were refusing to budge on their well-documented ownership of the iPhone trademark in Canada, and refusing to "share" the name with Apple.

This, however, is the first time I've seen any of their advertising, although a quick Google search shows them using this name for at least 4 years.

Earendil
Nov 29, 2007, 01:01 PM

mpw, you seem a little more paranoid today :-)
Apple doesn't want people helping those people in the AU who have chosen to break Apple's terms of service. If you break Apple's terms of service, I'm not sure why you expect to get help from Apple at all.
[ethical/law side of me put away]
Of course, I would unlock an iPhone in a second if I had the money. But I also wouldn't go drive X miles to talk to some bumble head behind a desk, I'd come here, or keep calling Apple until I got someone on my level :)

I have no doubt that if AT&T allowed it, Apple would sell the iPhone to whoever, whenever, where ever. But the sad reality is that Apple *IS* a new player, and what they have accomplished so far is astounding. The Telco's run this game, not the device makers.

~Earendil

mpw
Nov 29, 2007, 01:57 PM
mpw, you seem a little more paranoid today :-)...
If it were paranoia wouldn't it be unfounded? Are any of the claims not based on Apple's actual practices?
...Apple doesn't want people helping those people in the AU who have chosen to break Apple's terms of service...
Then why don't they say that? That's not the reason they've been quoted as giving. If you're saying that they have ulterior motives it could just be you're paranoia.
...If you break Apple's terms of service, I'm not sure why you expect to get help from Apple at all...
Well I wouldn't expect help from Apple IF I broke their terms of service (and to be honest I haven't broken their terms of service, yet they still offered pretty ****** after-sales service, but that's just my experience:mad:), but then they're restricting people who haven't broken any terms of service from seeking available professional services from third parties. Is that really appropriate?

Earendil
Nov 29, 2007, 03:54 PM
If it were paranoia wouldn't it be unfounded? Are any of the claims not based on Apple's actual practices?

No, they don't have to be unfounded, just extreme or essesive.
"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't really out to get you"
I do understand where you're coming from though. I am still allowed to disagree, or at least voice a different perspective :)

Then why don't they say that? That's not the reason they've been quoted as giving. If you're saying that they have ulterior motives it could just be you're paranoia.

Apple Australia is quoted once through one person in that article. That person, Fiona Martin, basically said that Apple officially suggests calling instead of talking to a 3rd party reseller, and that currently, since the iPhone is not sold, nor does it hold a certification in Australia, that people there should not be trouble shooting problems.

After that short quote, the article writer launches off into his own personal "What I really think" spiel which includes thoughts such as Apple wanting to prevent unlockers.
Of course, if Apple really wanted to stop them, than they are really doing a half assed job of is. It would not be *that* difficult to stop this, or make it extremely irritating by sticking a small team on changing up the iPhone software every few days.

Personally I'm of the mind that Apple is doing only enough to make AT&T happy, and not piss them off. After all, if AT&T claims Apple is a contract backstabber, Apple will probably be dead too all the other telcos (at least in the US).

Well I wouldn't expect help from Apple IF I broke their terms of service (and to be honest I haven't broken their terms of service, yet they still offered pretty ****** after-sales service, but that's just my experience:mad:), but then they're restricting people who haven't broken any terms of service from seeking available professional services from third parties. Is that really appropriate?

First off, let's clarify. They are not preventing people from seeking service. They are preventing them from seeking service at a brick and mortor shop. I'm sure they can find a phone and dial the (equivalent) 1-800 number.

And appropriate? Perhaps. Perhaps legally if Apple took an official position to fix iPhones in a county that they should not be operated in due to a lack of certification by the governing country, they would be in legal trouble. I don't know one way or the other how the AU works. Perhaps you can tell me?

Also, since iPhones are:
1. Not sold in the AU
2. Will not work on AU networks (without hacking)
3. Is illegal to operate in the AU

Than I would say that the number of people affect by this are miniscule since you would have to be:
1. A traveler to Australia
2. Own an iPhone
3. Have it break while in Australia
4. The iPhone be in a state that can actually be helped without sending in
5. Need the iPhone as soon as returning to a country with service

If all of those are not met, than the person is not effected by this scenario.

Personally, I don't see it as a big deal. The article writer obviously wanted to make it seem huge, with their inflammatory wording, conspiracy theory talk, and catchy (yet untrue) headline.

I'm not saying I like the whole ordeal, but I also am aware that a very very tiny percentage of iPhone costumers will be effected by this, and only for a short time (as soon as the iPhone is available in the AU, this issue is void).

I'm also personally unaware of the AU legal system surrounding electronic devices and the transmission of radio waves. In the US it's pretty strict (on paper at least), and I can see the government coming down on a company that was repairing devices here in the US that were not certified for use in the US. It would be understandable for the government to say "Hey, take that back to your own country and repair it, you can't use it here anyway!"

But perhaps you know the legal system, and are aware that Apple really is just out to spite its costumers?

Peace,
~Earendil

Brianstorm91
Nov 29, 2007, 03:58 PM
Apple expect you to phone Apple in your home country.

Apple is so harsh! They can't tell me who I can phone!
I was planning on calling Australia for their support on my iPhone which I can't afford here in England!

PCMacUser
Nov 29, 2007, 04:23 PM
Meh. The moral of the story:

"Don't buy an iPhone unless it's supported in your country".

As for Apple telling retailers who they can and can't talk to, well that's just ridiculous frankly.

siurpeeman
Nov 29, 2007, 04:24 PM
Or Fight Club.

i don't know why, but this really made me laugh. :)