PDA

View Full Version : Apple Patents Mini CD/DVD-ROM Adapter For Slot Loading Drives

MacRumors
Nov 29, 2007, 02:42 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has issued a patent application (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/29/apple_developing_mini_disc_adapter_for_slot_loading_drives.html) for an adapter to convert mini CD/DVD-ROMs to standard 12 cm size for use in slot-loading drives found on many of Apple's computer models.

Apple points out that the use of reduced-size media when possible would reduce shipping, manufacturing, and packaging costs. However, such media cannot be played in slot-loading drives that are designed to only accept standard-sized 12 cm media.

As a solution, Apple presents an adapter that would fit around reduced-sized media, making the media work as if it were standard 12 cm media in slot-loading devices.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/11/29/CDadapter1_300.gif

The patent application, which was first published last Thursday, was filed in May of 2006 and was brought to light today (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/29/apple_developing_mini_disc_adapter_for_slot_loading_drives.html) by AppleInsider.

Raw Data: Patent Application #20070271577 (http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22Apple+Computer%22&s2=Fadell&OS=%22Apple+Computer%22+AND+Fadell&RS=%22Apple+Computer%22+AND+Fadell)

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/29/apple-patents-mini-cd-dvd-rom-adapter-for-slot-loading-drives/)

Eidorian
Nov 29, 2007, 02:43 PM
Nintendo Wii slot drive anyone?

I've seen these adapters before though.

Spades
Nov 29, 2007, 02:44 PM
How does the Wii manage to handle Gamecube discs now? That's a much nicer way of handling smaller discs than an adapter would be.

Lycanthrope
Nov 29, 2007, 02:46 PM
Hang on, I've one of those for adapting CD single to play in a normal CD drive???

WildCowboy
Nov 29, 2007, 02:46 PM
Yeah, the old-school ones from the '80s when 3" CD singles were rather popular in the UK.

The argument for these foldable ones seems to be that including a standard one is the same as issuing a full-size CD. Why don't computer manufacturers just include a regular adapter or two in the box with their slot-loading machines? You don't need an adapter with every mini CD.

Wii technology is certainly an easier option for end-users, but does anyone know the drive height of those Wii drives? (ie. Would such a drive fit in laptops?)

Bob Knob
Nov 29, 2007, 02:48 PM
I just wish the odd size/shape CD and DVDs would just die out. I'd hate to have to keep an adapter around. I don't see how making smaller CDs and DVDs could save enough money to justify the pain in the a$$ they cause.

markie
Some slot loading drives handle 8cm discs without a problem, it just depends on the drive and if it's designed to do it or not.

longofest

Yes, the Wii slot drive can handle smaller disks (gamecube games). However, try doing something like that with your MacBook, MacBook pro, iMac, or whatever, and you'll be making a trip to a Mac genius station.

It would have been nice if Apple had included a Wii-like drive in all of their computers so they didn't have to deal with an adapter, but they didn't.

Remember that reduced sized media = reduced packaging = good for environment as well.

Spanky Deluxe
Nov 29, 2007, 02:49 PM
Yeah, the old-school ones from the '80s when 3" CD singles were rather popular in the UK.

The argument for these foldable ones seems to be that including a standard one is the same as issuing a full-size CD. Why don't computer manufacturers just include a regular adapter or two in the box with their slot-loading machines? You don't need an adapter with every mini CD.

Wii technology is certainly an easier option for end-users, but does anyone know the drive height of those Wii drives? (ie. Would such a drive fit in laptops?)

I'm pretty sure its a slimline drive as is. Its definitely not full size at least, the whole Wii's the size of a full size device!!

Squonk
One more thing to carry in your laptop bag. I've never had a smaller than regular sized CD for anything other than novelty trade show stuff. And these were in funky shapes - like a house or a brick. Where are those adapters? :D

Will shipping smaller than 12cm media really save that much money in manufacturing and shipping costs? Smaller disks = less capacity too.

Rodimus Prime
I am kind of wondering how they would paten something like that. To me it just common senses that something like that would be formed (which means it might not hold up if apple tries to sue any one over it)

Also I though there where items like that already out there long before apple filed the patented.

Now how the Wii does it is another story. I am kind of wondering how they do it on the Wii.

k2director
Nov 29, 2007, 02:50 PM
Sounds pretty clumsy to me...

JesterJJZ
Nov 29, 2007, 02:51 PM
Aren't the smaller discs more expensive?

Squonk
Nov 29, 2007, 02:52 PM
Another item to sell on the Apple Store, the iFoldingMiniCDToFullSizeCDAdapter. Catchy name!:p

DesignerOnMac
Nov 29, 2007, 02:53 PM

Same argument can be said about printers. Why doesn't the printer manufacturers include the USB cable? Makes NO sense.

Littleodie914
Nov 29, 2007, 02:54 PM
So instead of a sub-notebook completely scrapping the optical drive, maybe Apple will be releasing one with a sub-optical drive?

minik
Nov 29, 2007, 02:54 PM
My Sony CD Walkman comes with the 8cm CD adapter too. Yay, it's a slot-load portable CD player. It works okay with my TiBook.

Clive At Five
Nov 29, 2007, 02:59 PM
Are we sure this is Apple's filling or even their project? Or is it just this Tony Fadell guy?

It seems odd that Apple would care to develop something so... lame.

It sort of reminds me of:
http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/45insertmd.gif

Apple, who always seems so concerned with keeping it easy for the consumers, should probably just opt for the slot-loaders that read both sizes of disc.

If this IS Apple-related, one has to wonder... why all the new interest in mini discs? Trying to make everyone happy by putting a mini optical drive in an ultra-portable or something? That would be a waste of an optical drive. =P

Weird.

-Clive

Rodimus Prime
Nov 29, 2007, 03:00 PM
Aren't the smaller discs more expensive?

it depends on which side you are on. For us individuals they seem to cost a because it an odd ball item. But in huge numbers they are cheaper. They the plastic more effectively and they can get more disk out each sheet they stamp them out of us. Add in the fact it cost less to mail them.

dr_lha
Nov 29, 2007, 03:04 PM
Same argument can be said about printers. Why doesn't the printer manufacturers include the USB cable? Makes NO sense.
Or why did they used to sell electronics in the UK without a plug? ;)

That said, all printers I've bought had USB cables in the box.

mike12806
Nov 29, 2007, 03:04 PM
I live in the US and never have seen a smaller disc then the dvd/cd size.....are they prevalent in digital filming or something? I've seen PSP discs and Nintendo GameCube discs but this seems kind of irrelevant....

notjustjay
Nov 29, 2007, 03:05 PM
Why bother with a CD at all? We are getting to the point where anything you could fit on a miniCD (what, 180 megs or so?) could easily be downloaded over the internet.

If they really want to impress me, they should come up with a disposable, inexpensive, mini-USB-storage chip that would store the desired content.

MacCheetah3
Nov 29, 2007, 03:05 PM
Hi
Yeah...My thought precisely. Why not just put more R&D into those drives instead of a clumsy adapter?

ghall
Nov 29, 2007, 03:07 PM
If Nintendo can pull off a slot loading drive that can handle both regular and small sized disks, why can't Apple? :mad:

unity
Nov 29, 2007, 03:08 PM
Odd. My slot-load iMac took my 3" Sony Mavica CDs all the time, never a problem.

And I have an adapter too, came with my Sony camera. So this really is nothing new.

BenRoethig
Nov 29, 2007, 03:10 PM
About damn time they did something. Mini-DVD camcorders are becoming very popular.

SimonTheSoundMa
Nov 29, 2007, 03:10 PM
That would be good. Had an update for Logic Studio and it came on a half size DVD. Odd when most of Apple's machines have slot loading CD-ROMs.

network23
Nov 29, 2007, 03:15 PM
I'm pretty sure its a slimline drive as is. Its definitely not full size at least, the whole Wii's the size of a full size device!!

True, but the Wii uses a different load/unload mechanism that allows the use of the smaller CDs. Not all slimlines are created equal.

aranhamo
Nov 29, 2007, 03:16 PM

Why, when I bought my washer and dryer, did I have to buy the dryer exhaust hose and the dryer power cable separately?

overanalyzer
Nov 29, 2007, 03:16 PM
That idea kind of reminds me of those silly CD cassette things that Macs used to have a long time ago. I hated those things...always cluttering up the desk when they weren't in use.

Eidorian
Nov 29, 2007, 03:18 PM

Wii technology is certainly an easier option for end-users, but does anyone know the drive height of those Wii drives? (ie. Would such a drive fit in laptops?)It'd be quite silly to include the adapter with each disc.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=677908&rl=1

The Wii's optical drive is there on the right (http://www.informit.com/content/images/art_fogie_insidewii/elementLinks/wiifig21.jpg).

And here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihXP9WYhLc&eurl) a take apart video as well.

One more time you can see here (http://www.maxconsole.net/content_img/wiin.jpg) that the drive isn't much larger then the disc. I don't know how thick it is though.

Yes, the Wii slot drive can handle smaller disks (gamecube games). However, try doing something like that with your MacBook, MacBook pro, iMac, or whatever, and you'll be making a trip to a Mac genius station.

It would have been nice if Apple had included a Wii-like drive in all of their computers so they didn't have to deal with an adapter, but they didn't.

Remember that reduced sized media = reduced packaging = good for environment as well.I can imagine even smaller packaging now. ;)

Same argument can be said about printers. Why doesn't the printer manufacturers include the USB cable? Makes NO sense.I was in the same boat too until one day I ended up with 3 extra USB cables from every other device.

Why bother with a CD at all? We are getting to the point where anything you could fit on a miniCD (what, 180 megs or so?) could easily be downloaded over the internet.

If they really want to impress me, they should come up with a disposable, inexpensive, mini-USB-storage chip that would store the desired content.Mini-DVD can hold 1.4 GB single or 2.66 GB dual layer. That's not a lot to download but bandwidth and maintaining it for so many users does add up.

Hi

Yeah...My thought precisely. Why not just put more R&D into those drives instead of a clumsy adapter?Why not ask Nintendo? :D

That idea kind of reminds me of those silly CD cassette things that Macs used to have a long time ago. I hated those things...always cluttering up the desk when they weren't in use.I remember CD caddies as well.

longofest
Nov 29, 2007, 03:20 PM
Why not just put more R&D into those drives [...like the Wii] instead of a clumsy adapter?

Because they already have a bunch of drives out on the market that aren't small-disk compatible, but if they want to distribute their software on small disks, they need it to be able to run in those drives.

Squonk
Nov 29, 2007, 03:23 PM
So instead of a sub-notebook completely scrapping the optical drive, maybe Apple will be releasing one with a sub-optical drive?

Interesting idea. However it would be kinda nasty when you have full size media and a mini drive. I mean if software were currently shipping on smaller media then this would make more sense.

VaDor
Nov 29, 2007, 03:24 PM
Another item to sell on the Apple Store, the iFoldingMiniCDToFullSizeCDAdapter. Catchy name!:p

For just 20$ or 20€ a amazing adapter using a quality white plastic... :p

Don't like this idea..:apple:

Mindflux
Nov 29, 2007, 03:25 PM
Maybe the reason for the adapter is because these drives are burners as well. Perhaps the reason it works on the Wii is because it had the parts to make it work properly without jamming, but with the additional hardware for the drive to be a cd/dvd burner it is not possible.

SciTeach
Nov 29, 2007, 03:28 PM
I'll agree with it being for camcorder DVD-Roms but why make their own (other than something else to sell with their name on it:p)?

Maybe its just to throw people off and they will actually come out with a super micro MacBook Pro (5.2").:D;):rolleyes::p

dr_lha
Nov 29, 2007, 03:29 PM
I live in the US and never have seen a smaller disc then the dvd/cd size.....are they prevalent in digital filming or something? I've seen PSP discs and Nintendo GameCube discs but this seems kind of irrelevant....
They were common in DVD-writer camcorders that were popular for a bit (I think HD based camcorders have probably surpassed them now in popularity however).

Also software is often distributed on small disks to save space, for example I bought a HP Printer Cartridge at Wal-Mart recently that had a DVD for some junk HP software stuck onto the box. The DVD was tiny, so it could be fit on the small printer box (and totally useless if you have a slot loading drive).

Theres some other weird DVD/CD sizes like the "bootable business cards" that the Linux community are fond of (I've seen these at conferences in the USA as well, they're business card size DVDS, with rounded off edges).

zombitronic
Nov 29, 2007, 03:34 PM
From Hack a Wii (http://hackawii.com/under-the-hood-of-the-wii/):

http://hackawii.com/images/_inside_a_wii_2.jpg (http://hackawii.com/images/inside_a_wii_2.jpg)

http://hackawii.com/images/_inside_a_wii_3.jpg (http://hackawii.com/images/inside_a_wii_3.jpg)

bdkennedy1
Nov 29, 2007, 03:37 PM
That's what I was thinking. They've been complaining about not being able to make smaller laptops because of the size of the current optical drive.

If they are making a smaller drive, it might be a blue-ray drive. They would be able to fit all of the Final Cut Studio discs onto a tiny dual layer Blue-ray disc or something. This might be their way of pushing the industry to use small discs and retire the 25 year-old sized discs.

This has to be more than just saving a few pennies on packaging.

mrcartman91
Nov 29, 2007, 03:54 PM

ya the wii plays small gamecube discs without an adaptor, how come macs cant do the same?

thingy
Nov 29, 2007, 03:56 PM
Seems pretty clear to me this isn't a product idea (which would be pretty lame) but is something they thought up a few years ago when they were trying to figure out how to reduce the size of the iPod packaging. (Before the nano and 5G iPod, every iPod included the iTunes install CD in the box.) If they were going to shrink the package by putting in a mini-CD, they had to ensure that everyone, even with people with slot drives that can't read mini-CDs, could use it. Hence, the idea of including the folding adapter in each package.

Eventually they just decided it was OK to dump the CD entirely and just make people download iTunes themselves, but presumably either Apple or Tony thought there might benefit to patenting the idea anyway.

revbean
Nov 29, 2007, 03:57 PM
Odd. My slot-load iMac took my 3" Sony Mavica CDs all the time, never a problem.

My 6+ year old TiBook also accepts 3" disks in its slot-load drive with no problems. The first time I fed it one I was a little concerned, although I believe that the manual said it would work.

This really seems like a non-story.

Dagless
Nov 29, 2007, 03:57 PM
Come on Apple, just do a little trade with Nintendo. Their (likely patented) loading design for, I dunno, iTunes on Wii :p

synth3tik
Nov 29, 2007, 03:58 PM
Thought they would have come out with this in like 2002. Better late then never I guess.

grappler
Nov 29, 2007, 04:00 PM
That seems like it would be a pain to use. Wonder why they can't make a slot that would recognize and grab a smaller disc.

ChrisA
Nov 29, 2007, 04:04 PM
Let's all of us hope that Apple is just filing this patent so they can lock it up in a safe and then throw the safe in maybe a volcano and prevent anyone including themselves from building this. What a service that would be to users everywhere. Thank you Apple.

Yes I guess making a smaller disk might save them two cents but do I really want to hassle with an adapter so that someone else can save two cents? Let's hope I'm right about Apple doing this as a public service.

SeaFox
Nov 29, 2007, 04:05 PM
Whoops! Too late, Apple. (http://www.amazon.com/Memorex-3-Inch-DVD-Adapter-3-Pak/dp/B000M52EW0)

MvdM
Nov 29, 2007, 04:10 PM
So that's about 25 discs for installing Final Cut Studio :eek:
Now they can sell it in a tennis ball tube though.

Whoops! Too late, Apple. (http://www.amazon.com/Memorex-3-Inch-DVD-Adapter-3-Pak/dp/B000M52EW0)
*Note that the adapter may not work when used in a vertically-loading drive.

archurban
Nov 29, 2007, 04:10 PM
well I am doubting whether Apple will use I'd for future product. Because Sony has made similar kind of device and small size CD or DVD, UMD. They haven't been successful well. I just believe it would be just patent.

GoodWatch
Nov 29, 2007, 04:11 PM
I think of it as a non-issue. I have a USB 2 CD writer lying around, the tray has a recess that accepts the smaller discs. On a slot loader you need a mechanism that centres the smaller discs but it seems that has been dealt with by some manufacturers.

GoodWatch
Nov 29, 2007, 04:12 PM
So that's about 25 discs for installing Final Cut Studio :eek:
Now they can sell it in a tennis ball tube though.

Ha, ha :) Very good! :) I just can picture this :D

schatten
Nov 29, 2007, 04:14 PM
I remember when I was an Apple Technician, fixing G3 iMac Slot-Load CD drives when users would insert the mini-CDs.

It was an easy fix (Open up iMac, remove drive, disassemble drive, remove disk, reassemble drive, etc), but not covered by Apple's Warranty. $80 labor for 20 minutes of work! I loved it! :-D

Apple shoulda come up with this idea long ago... Although there are slot-load optical drives that will take different sized media, but no way of knowing if your drive will without trying. Thus by the time you find out yours isn't capable, it's too late!

One thing that worries me is with this collapsible adapter vs. high-speed spinning drives... will it hold up to the torsion?

Antares
Nov 29, 2007, 04:17 PM
Why, when I bought my washer and dryer, did I have to buy the dryer exhaust hose and the dryer power cable separately?

Tell me about it. And why didn't my refridgerator come with food already in it, when I bought it? :)

Anyway, the folding design of this clearly means that it's intended to fit into small packaging with a mini-dvd.

Can anyone confirm or deny that a mini-cd or mini-dvd would fit into an iMac Drive (Core Duo iMac)? I don't want to be a guinea pig but I do have some mini-cds that I'd like to get some stuff off of....

GoodWatch
Nov 29, 2007, 04:26 PM
I just don’t get it. The price of CD’s has become so low that you get them with a magazine. And if anything, because the smaller discs appear to be non-standard, they are actually more expensive. But thinking out of the box, is there something looming in the future? And are Apple taking care of backward compatibility right now? :confused:

bdkennedy1
Nov 29, 2007, 04:26 PM
If optical discs are going to continue to be around, they may as well be smaller. Imagine how much plastic would be saved by everyone moving to smaller discs. The 3" DVD discs these days can hold more than twice as much as a CD.

This seems like a way to push consumers to start using them. Especially if Apple has it's hand in getting the record companies to start distributing music on them.

So basically this could be a small tiny thing, or a huge industry changing move.

well I am doubting whether Apple will use I'd for future product. Because Sony has made similar kind of device and small size CD or DVD, UMD. They haven't been successful well. I just believe it would be just patent.

reno
Nov 29, 2007, 04:28 PM
seriously, who gives a crap about this.

what's to stop itunes from offering software downloads in the future? you can download many major apps as demos now too. what do we even need discs for anymore? i think they'll be gone very soon, so this little invention is sorta pointless.

plus, mini discs are barely used now anyway....

i, Podius
Nov 29, 2007, 05:03 PM
Maybe the reason for the adapter is because these drives are burners as well. Perhaps the reason it works on the Wii is because it had the parts to make it work properly without jamming, but with the additional hardware for the drive to be a cd/dvd burner it is not possible.

The difference between CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD-R drives is that the laser is different (but generally the same basic size & shape) and the -R drives have a larger cache. Neither of these things would get in the way of the loading mechanism. I would say the reason that it works in the Wii (but not for Apple, apparently) is that Nintendo HAD to have a way for their system to be compatible with the smaller discs of the GameCube, whereas Apple had no such great necessity for having their machines compatible with smaller discs, which are, as someone pointed out, not used all that often.

Necessity, it seems, is the mother of better invention.

Yvan256
Nov 29, 2007, 05:06 PM
I'm with everyone so far: has nobody at Apple ever even seen a Nintendo Wii? The GameCube discs are 8cm and the Wii has a slot-load optical drive that can also accept 12cm discs (Wii). Sure it wouldn't help people with previous computers, but I'm wondering why they're wasting money with the R&D and patents on something so simple/stupid.

Indeed, 8cm CDs can't carry much data, but what about an 8cm DVD? Isn't there at least as much storage on that as a full-size CD?

I'm with you on the downloading, though. In this age of downloadable TV shows and movies, 600MB isn't that much data anymore.

If they really want to impress me, they should come up with a disposable, inexpensive, mini-USB-storage chip that would store the desired content.

A disposable electronic device would really not impress me, no matter what size it would be and even if it only cost 0.01$.

chelsel
Nov 29, 2007, 05:11 PM
sounds like another brilliant way to sell unnecessary things to improve the Apple bottom line, ala iPhone headset adapter so your standard headphones will work with the "standard" iPhone headset jack.

Dr Who
Nov 29, 2007, 05:26 PM
How about if our friends Apple are preparing us for the 3" Blu-Ray Disk. Imagine a tiny little drive in their sub-notebook.

mac 2005
Nov 29, 2007, 05:26 PM
I just wish the odd size/shape CD and DVDs would just die out. I'd hate to have to keep an adapter around. I don't see how making smaller CDs and DVDs could save enough money to justify the pain in the a$$ they cause.

I think it's the novelty. I have a freelance client who LOVES them. I remind him that he can get three times more stuff on a full-size CD, but he always wants the little ones--and then complains when I make him cut the content. :rolleyes:

ChrisA
Nov 29, 2007, 05:27 PM
I'm with everyone so far: has nobody at Apple ever even seen a Nintendo Wii? The GameCube discs are 8cm and the Wii has a slot-load optical drive

You forgot to read the patent. The great innovation was a way to sell mini-disks to people who already have slot loading drives. Requiring all users to replace their existing CD/DVD drives would not have been a popular move

Apple needed a way to put a CD in a small box. So they though "Why not break the CD into three pieces and let the user re-assemble the pieces?

If they had thought just a little harder they might have tried putting the iTunes software on the iPod so that when you plug in a new iPod it appears as a disk on the desktop with the instaler in that disk. Does anyome else think it is silly to include a CD with a device that itself has more storage space then a CD.

GoodWatch
Nov 29, 2007, 05:28 PM
How about if our friends Apple are preparing us for the 3" Blu-Ray Disk. Imagine a tiny little drive in their sub-notebook.

Dr.Who is using his or her brains! :)

Littleodie914
Nov 29, 2007, 05:43 PM
Dr.Who is using his or her brains! :)Indeed. Apple always has been one of those companies to encourage a industry-wide transition from one technology to another, maybe this will be the latest Apple-initiated trend?

GoodWatch
Nov 29, 2007, 05:53 PM
Indeed. Apple always has been one of those companies to encourage a industry-wide transition from one technology to another, maybe this will be the latest Apple-initiated trend?

Ehhhh, AN industry wide... ;) Mind your English :rolleyes:

P.S. I've had one Vodka Martini too many :D

Analog Kid
Nov 29, 2007, 05:55 PM
First, "reducing distribution cost" seems a bit silly given that current costs are fast approaching zero. If it fits on a mini disc, it's probably just as well to distribute it by the net.

Second, the drive should handle this. Two separate parts rotating very, very fast just sounds like a bad idea to me. The disc has a hole in it-- let the drive just worry about putting the hole in the right place.

pcortez
Nov 29, 2007, 05:58 PM
we don't need cd drives anymore.

harddrives and space are cheap; the internet is fairly fast; music, software, etc can all be purchased/downloaded online.

johnpaul191
Nov 29, 2007, 06:01 PM
1) This was originally filed May 2006. Does that make it a dead project? Maybe?

2) I don't know how well they sell (compared to other options) but there are those video cameras that use those little discs (blank mini DVDs). I also have a professional level audio recording deck from Fostex that uses that size DVD-RAM disc.

The DVD-RAM discs are fading away, but there are seemingly plenty of the same sized DVD-R and DVD+R devices out there. It would only make sense that the HD and Blu-Ray technology eventually trickle down to the mini discs. The only advantage my deck has with the DVD-RAM discs is that they come in a caddy (like a minidisc), so i don't have to handle them super carefully while i am working on a film shoot. That, of course, means little to the rest of the world. I'm guessing camera size is the obvious reason not to use full sized media. I'm guessing that in some situations people prefer to use media like this, as opposed to flash memory or a P2 card because they do not have the opportunity to download and reformat.... or do not want to lug around a laptop?

Anyway, it would suck for somebody to buy a new video camera only to realize the media is sort of incompatible with any Apple laptop, iMac or Mac Mini. I'm sure plenty of people still try to load the discs anyway, and as i understand it is a crapshoot if it will work.

As the above said, i would prefer to use something like a P2 card, or compact flash.... but i can easily use 6+ gigs on a day of filming, and that's not reality TV. That world would possibly be using tons more space when using 6 isolated tracks of audio at better than DAT quality. You isolate the audio in case, for example, one wireless mic goes to hell. That keeps the rest of them usable.

Just to put things in perspective... if i record 6 (isolated) tracks of audio at 48kHz/24-BIT, i only get 24 minutes on one side of a mini DVD-RAM disc (1.4 gigs). the discs are double sided, but the drive does not flip itself. It's not a huge market so the drive is proprietary. It's an oddball drive, but it will not fail if you are running behind a camera while chasing the action and rolling the whole time.

GoodWatch
Nov 29, 2007, 06:09 PM

harddrives and space are cheap; the internet is fairly fast; music, software, etc can all be purchased/downloaded online.

OS needs a re-install. OS is thus dead. OS is needed to be able to connect to (the) Internet. Without OS, no Internet. OS needs CD (DVD) drive. Single point of failure. End of lame message.

takao
Nov 29, 2007, 06:20 PM
OS needs a re-install. OS is thus dead. OS is needed to be able to connect to (the) Internet. Without OS, no Internet. OS needs CD (DVD) drive. Single point of failure. End of lame message.

supply computer with small onboard ROM. Size: 2 perhaps 4 MB. Fill with code for network installation. End of smart message.

chubad
Nov 29, 2007, 06:23 PM
This is stupid. We get to be inconvenienced by having to assemble a rinky dink adaptor to install software so Apple can save a few cents on packaging?! Gimme a break. I can see the class action lawsuits for these grenading in a drive.

That-Is-Bull
Nov 29, 2007, 06:29 PM

Not everywhere. HughesNet is our only option. $800 setup, $100 a month after that. It's as bad or worse than Dial-Up most of the time, and if you download/view more than 300 MB of content in a day, they pretty much disable your connection for 24-48 hours. If I had to download something like Leopard, I'd be screwed.

That's what I was thinking.

Off topic, but when you're quoting somebody, put the quote above your response rather than below. You don't respond to people before they talk.

GoodWatch
Nov 29, 2007, 06:30 PM
supply computer with small onboard ROM. Size: 2 perhaps 4 MB. Fill with code for network installation. End of smart message.

Onboard code doesn't know what kind of Internet connection you are on. ISP doesn't provide for network boot. Imagine pulling 4 GB over a telephone line. I whish you luck, Yoda :p

skellener
Nov 29, 2007, 06:35 PM
How different is this from the ones that already exist? I have adapters for small CDs now.

Usually the small disc media runs MORE expensive than full size media. I don't see how they will save money with this and the inclusion of the adapter.

Just use regular media.

Loge
Nov 29, 2007, 06:41 PM
Remember that reduced sized media = reduced packaging = good for environment as well.

True, but there is plenty of scope for reducing the packaging supplied with existing media, for example the unnecessarily large plastic oblong boxes that movie DVDs tend to come in.

Rodimus Prime
Nov 29, 2007, 06:43 PM
That would not be a reason. If you took apart a burner and a non burner and put the parts out they would look almost exactly the same. The only difference is the lazer on the burner is slight different to account for the burner. Hardware wise they are exactly the same.

You could lay out the parts and at most you would only see a different lazer but chances are they would look exactly the same.

Personally I am not a fan of slot loaders. I like the old fashion try loads. They are simpler and have first parts and is less likely to break. They are cheaper as well and as an added bonus they can be used a cup holder.

freiheit
Nov 29, 2007, 06:48 PM
I am kind of wondering how they would paten something like that. To me it just common senses that something like that would be formed (which means it might not hold up if apple tries to sue any one over it)

Not only is it common sense but 8cm to 12cm adapters for CD/DVD media already exist and are sold by dozens of companies. Prior art here would seem to invalidate Apple's patent unless they're patenting the specific way the adapter folds together or something, but there's plenty of prior art for things which fold in half as well. My daily newspaper, for instance, comes folded in half. I don't foresee the LA Times paying Apple royalties to continue doing this. :)

SiliconAddict
Nov 29, 2007, 06:50 PM

Yah I hate to rain on Apple's patent frenzy but there is a ton of prior art. I've seen these things as early as the late 90's.

overanalyzer
Nov 29, 2007, 06:59 PM
The one thing this very lively conversation seems to be missing is that Apple files endless amounts of patents that it never uses. Their commitment to R&D just for the sake of exploring new ideas is part of what makes Apple the company we all know and love. But on the flipside, the likelihood of seeing any given random patent come to fruition isn't really that high. There have certainly been more interesting Apple patent applications posted on here in the past that are more compelling and more likely than multi-piece optical media. So let the debate go on, but don't get your hopes or protests up too high.

Dagless
Nov 29, 2007, 07:57 PM
seriously, who gives a crap about this.

what's to stop itunes from offering software downloads in the future? you can download many major apps as demos now too. what do we even need discs for anymore? i think they'll be gone very soon, so this little invention is sorta pointless.

plus, mini discs are barely used now anyway....

What planet are you 2 on?

I've got a stack of mini DVDs and cases, the capacity is just enough for me to fit my games on when I sell them. Costs a lot less to post.

ScubaDuc
Nov 29, 2007, 08:41 PM
Please don't laugh but I really need one of those adaptors. :rolleyes:

I get the small CD's at medical conferences all the time, and often with all the conference papers on them. It's a pain in my tail fethers because I either have to leave my MB home and take the old Acer or wait until I get home and use an external drive...

reno
Nov 29, 2007, 08:53 PM
What planet are you 2 on?

I've got a stack of mini DVDs and cases, the capacity is just enough for me to fit my games on when I sell them. Costs a lot less to post.

i dunno what planet we're on, but i think you're on Planet Old School ... :D

notjustjay
Nov 29, 2007, 09:01 PM
A disposable electronic device would really not impress me, no matter what size it would be and even if it only cost 0.01$.

Well, ok, maybe not that disposable. But I think it's the obvious progression. Right now you buy a printer or some other peripheral, it comes with a CD that you pop into your drive and install the software. One day you'll receive a USB memory stick with it instead. You'll pop it in, mount the disk and run the installer.

Either that or download bandwidth will become so high that you won't need to pop anything in, you'll just download whatever you need.

mikeinternet
Nov 29, 2007, 09:17 PM
shouldn't optical drives be replaced by thumb drives by now?

- they are tiny
- they are cheaper everyday
- and they are reusable

Shasterball
Nov 29, 2007, 09:19 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has issued a patent application (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/29/apple_developing_mini_disc_adapter_for_slot_loading_drives.html) for an adapter to convert mini CD/DVD-ROMs to standard 12 cm size for use in slot-loading drives found on many of Apple's computer models.

You file patent applications -- you don't issue them.

Sorry, I just keep seeing the same error everytime one of these is reported.

:D

Shasterball
Nov 29, 2007, 09:24 PM
Yah I hate to rain on Apple's patent frenzy but there is a ton of prior art. I've seen these things as early as the late 90's.

Hahaha. What did you accidently nab a copy of the MPEP?

DoFoT9
Nov 29, 2007, 10:27 PM
woooow.

taht is seriously awsome.

ive always had problems, only my imac g3 can read these smaller CD's/DVD's. been waiting for apple to do something about it for ages.

yaaaay :)

bondsbw
Nov 29, 2007, 10:36 PM
Wow... I could have used this earlier today... I got a mini-DVD stuck in it, had to stick a thin strip of plastic in my Macbook until the eject mechanism triggered enough to push the disc out.

Sure, sure, RTFM, but I didn't have a manual, and I have a Wii, so I just figured there weren't any problems with it.

zarusoba
Nov 29, 2007, 10:38 PM
Big deal. I had one in the 80's when CD singles came out.

DoFoT9
Nov 29, 2007, 11:01 PM
Big deal. I had one in the 80's when CD singles came out.

any idea where to buy them from :confused:

e12a
Nov 30, 2007, 01:57 AM

- they are tiny
- and they are reusable

DL DVD is still a heck of a lot cheaper than a 8gb thumb drive. Dont expect Apple to sell leopard on thumb drives anytime soon. :rolleyes:
Optical drives = still alive and kicking.

Cloudsurfer
Nov 30, 2007, 03:03 AM
This has probably been said a million times over, but my Wii has a slot loader and accepts both 12 and 8 cm discs.

Why is Apple having so much trouble with it?

Nov 30, 2007, 05:01 AM
About damn time they did something. Mini-DVD camcorders are becoming very popular.

Yeah, there are a ton of mini-DVD camcorders out there, and people will probably be using them a while - but they are on the way out. I went to Best Buy because I really needed a camcorder upgrade (still using a 10 year old handy cam with 8mm tapes). They are pushing the newest ones with internal hard-drives that act like an external hard drive when you connect it to your computer.

But seriously. I am not a fan of mini-CD/DVD as they are incompatible with most drives, including CD players in your car (most cars still do not come with ipod connectors- although I use the FM transmitter but it sometimes loses sound quality). Also, I have about 10 full size DVD's that hold my backups (40 gigs of music, electronic books, and misc software I downloaded). I also do not like mini-DVD camcorders as I like to edit my videos to get rid of bad shots, add a music overlay, etc.

I need something that will not scratch and that will be good for permanent backups without worrying about damage or electronic failure of jump/thumb drives (we killed 2 where I work).

MiC07
Nov 30, 2007, 05:18 AM
This is the most boring patent I've ever seen from Apple. But read carefully the explanation for it. It absolutely makes sense with only one product, that still doesn't exist: The Multitouch Mouse.

To me it seems like a discrete hint, that they bring it in January.
Anyone who want's to bet on it?

Nov 30, 2007, 05:43 AM
Fold-able plastic? Keep folding and unfolding and eventually - snap! Another broken part.

And for those who said to go with USB jump/thumb drives. Ok, cost high. Electronic parts that will fail (I know got 2 dead at work). And how do you write or put a label on those that says what is stored on it? I can see it now - they came out with printers that print directly on CD's. Now a printer to print on re-usable thumb drives? :rolleyes:

Seriously though - CD/ DVD/ HD/ Blue Ray/ Double-layer - all that media, all those sizes, limited compatibility between devices. So much for sharing information - even on your own computers.

twoodcc
Nov 30, 2007, 06:05 AM
this is good. we need something like this. especially now that imovie supports mini-dvd camcorders

dazzer21
Nov 30, 2007, 06:31 AM
Either no-one's mentioned this, or my reading head isn't on today. Would the application of this be in connection with Apple's supposed sub-notebook we are going to see sometime soon? Makes sense to me that there would be some effort by apple to get software manufacturers to jump on the sub-sized CD/DVD route (global warming and all that, if Steve is to be believed) and then the adaptor merely be used to make those disks readable in desktop/full sized notebook machines.

Quite how the standard is just going to be limited to Macs, I can't quite perceive - they must be looking to a future where ALL computers, PCs or otherwise, are going to be compatible with this format, and I can only assume that most, if not all of the PC vendors out there, are looking to make a big thing out of powerful, smaller laptops as well. Would the discs will be high density enough to make all the standard size ones obsolete. Doesn't get around the fact that everyone will still be using full sized disks, mind...

Bonte
Nov 30, 2007, 06:45 AM

- they are tiny
- and they are reusable

And can be fitted with a robust copy protection to dub as a software dongle. :o

BenRoethig
Nov 30, 2007, 07:10 AM
Yeah, there are a ton of mini-DVD camcorders out there, and people will probably be using them a while - but they are on the way out. I went to Best Buy because I really needed a camcorder upgrade (still using a 10 year old handy cam with 8mm tapes). They are pushing the newest ones with internal hard-drives that act like an external hard drive when you connect it to your computer.

Best buy bushing the hard drive ones might also have something to do with them being $200 more expensive. The hard drive players might have a lot of advantages, but they also pretty much need a computer to be involved. Tape/DVD camcorders allow you to just pop out the movie and watch it.

kristenz
Nov 30, 2007, 07:32 AM
I own a Sony Camcorder that records to mini-disks. When I finally saw the light and converted from PC to Mac, I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to play mini-disk. I thought there would be no worries as I could use a fire-wire to input video into my 24" imac. Unfortunately, I happen to own the only Sony model camcorder without a firewire port.

I was considering buying a new Camcorder altogether. This new patent information has me wondering if I should wait.

Can any of you help me with a quick fix solution to input video in the meantime?

Kristen

24" imac
15" macbookpro:apple:

MiC07
Nov 30, 2007, 07:35 AM
»reduced-size media when possible would reduce shipping, manufacturing, and packaging costs.«

If you ship a sub-notebook or whatever you can give a **** on the difference price for packaging and delivering a mini CD insted of a normal CD. I suppose it even would be more expensive because of the unusual size of media. For shure its not cheaper.

This adaptor comes in two peaces and so it's not much bigger then a mouse. And yes – there would have a reduction of pacaging which is at least a third to the package Apple use to ship their Mouses. And yes – if they ship a multi-touch-mouse (which patent we saw at the beginning of the year on this board), they would ship it with software for Mac and PC on a mini CD. They would sell masses of this product, and yes – costs for pacaging and shipping are very relevant for it.

So what do you think?

notjustjay
Nov 30, 2007, 08:21 AM
I own a Sony Camcorder that records to mini-disks. ... Can any of you help me with a quick fix solution to input video in the meantime?

Buy a tray-loading external DVD drive in a FireWire or USB enclosure. If you're willing to go the eBay or used route they should be very cheap.

KingofAwesome
Nov 30, 2007, 08:25 AM
Sounds to me like this gives you two options with a slot-loading drive - either put the small disc in and hope you don't get it stuck in there, or put the adapter on the disc and hope you don't get two things stuck in there. Maybe it will attach securely, but do you really want consumers assembling something before inserting it into a very thin slot?

The trade show business-card-sized discs were nothing more than a novelty to me. I acquired a dozen or so but never used them. I didn't feel like putting my hardware at risk just to view a marketing video.

egsaxy
Nov 30, 2007, 08:43 AM
personally i think the discs are dumb. and i think that this be a frivolous patent. But after the screw up with microsoft in 85 why shouldn't apple patent every idea they ever have. better to protect everything even if some of its rubbish than let something that seems benign and it explodes to something huge.

MarvinMartian
Nov 30, 2007, 08:51 AM
I live in the US and never have seen a smaller disc then the dvd/cd size.....are they prevalent in digital filming or something?

I recently bought a Nikon digital SLR. The image manipulation software that came with it was on a mini-CD. I recently bought an mp3 player, and the software for it came on a mini-CD. I recently bought an SDHC card reader. The software that came with it was on a mini-CD.

They're out there..

The *other* issue with mini-CDs that torques me off is that you can't buy a darned wallet for the darned things. You either have to stack and carry multiple little plastic boxes in your laptop bag, or continue to carry a full-size CD wallet. So, trying to save space by using the mini-CD worked right up until the point you tried to store them for your convenience. I'd found a couple of links for 8mm CD wallets, but they were in Britain, and the postage and handling was more than buying two of the darned wallets. Since Mini-DVD cameras are plentiful, why isn't there an equal call for the wallets to store *those* things in?? Geez....

MarvinMartian
Nov 30, 2007, 08:55 AM

---um, unless you're stuck with dial-up, which a large portion of the western US still is. I have a relative that lives on an acreage. Because of the size of the lots, population density will never rise to the point where cable will go in there. He's also serviced by Billy-Joe-Bob phone company, and he's about thirteen thousand feet from the nearest central office, and they've no plans to upgrade this century, it seems. So he 'lives with' crappy dial-up. There's not even a plan in place for anyone to do muni wi-fi or wi-max anytime 'soon.' He's just plain scr00d.

kingtj
Nov 30, 2007, 09:16 AM
That's true (although overall, the situation gets better in the U.S. all the time, with more areas getting cable or DSL, and satellite a viable option for some others). The problem I have with the whole "just download it instead of buying it on physical media" idea is, you really should store your download permanently on something once you get it. For 99% of us today, that means burning it onto a CD or DVD. This is an extra hassle you shouldn't really have to go through on a piece of commercial software you just paid for.

In this era of horrible tech. support and constant "upgrades" that end up costing you over 2x what you spent on the product to begin with after only a few years, the LEAST they can do is provide you a piece of physical media with the software "ready to install" from it!

---um, unless you're stuck with dial-up, which a large portion of the western US still is. I have a relative that lives on an acreage. Because of the size of the lots, population density will never rise to the point where cable will go in there. He's also serviced by Billy-Joe-Bob phone company, and he's about thirteen thousand feet from the nearest central office, and they've no plans to upgrade this century, it seems. So he 'lives with' crappy dial-up. There's not even a plan in place for anyone to do muni wi-fi or wi-max anytime 'soon.' He's just plain scr00d.

morespce54
Nov 30, 2007, 09:20 AM
...Remember that reduced sized media = reduced packaging = good for environment as well.

That's all good but I am really tired of all those non-standard medias. I mean, if they can do it with a smaller CD (with the same capacity as the regular ones), that's fine by me. Just change them all then! As mentioned above, I don't want to carry (yet an other) adapter around... :eek:

Did the DL DVDs are twice as big as single DVDs? So why have different size for CD/DVD and mini-dvd? :confused:

I think they should all be the same size.

We are already facing an exciting dilemma about BR/HD DVD... :eek:

mytdave
Nov 30, 2007, 09:21 AM
I think it's a dumb idea. I just wish the small disc would die out. It almost has, let's not try to popularize the stupid thing again. Storage capacity needs are continually increasing, why would we want a lower capacity media to become widely used? Let it go.

Eriamjh1138@DAN
Nov 30, 2007, 09:23 AM
What I don't understand is why Apple doesn't put the iTunes software needed for iPods on the iPods themselves.

Why download from the internet when you can just install it from the flash or disk drive of the iPod?

mikeinternet
Nov 30, 2007, 10:11 AM
And can be fitted with a robust copy protection to dub as a software dongle. :o
I find dongles rude.

b33k34
Nov 30, 2007, 01:04 PM
i've been re-ripping my entire cd collection on my new iMac and have ripped a number of cd singles using old-skool UK converters. it did make me a bit nervous but they seemed to work fine.

Amazed they bothered trying to patent this.

e12a
Nov 30, 2007, 01:06 PM
apple may want to contract Logitec (not logitech) for a laptop version of this slim slot loading drive, capable of handling 8cm discs.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/13/logitecs-portable-burner-slot-loads-8cm-discs-an-industry-firs/

LieutenantLefse
Nov 30, 2007, 02:05 PM
The *other* issue with mini-CDs that torques me off is that you can't buy a darned wallet for the darned things. You either have to stack and carry multiple little plastic boxes in your laptop bag, or continue to carry a full-size CD wallet. So, trying to save space by using the mini-CD worked right up until the point you tried to store them for your convenience. I'd found a couple of links for 8mm CD wallets, but they were in Britain, and the postage and handling was more than buying two of the darned wallets. Since Mini-DVD cameras are plentiful, why isn't there an equal call for the wallets to store *those* things in?? Geez....

A friend of mine has a 12-disc zippered wallet for his gamecube discs. I don't know where he got it, but if you search eBay or Google for "gamecube 12 disc" you might find one.

morespce54
Nov 30, 2007, 02:42 PM
...That said, all printers I've bought had USB cables in the box.

That's because it's been a while since you bought one! ;):D

morespce54
Nov 30, 2007, 03:04 PM
...I'm with you on the downloading, though. In this age of downloadable TV shows and movies, 600MB isn't that much data anymore...

I agree that downloads are the future (well, more like Y2K's future;)) but I can't see myself installing, re-installing or trouble-shooting my computer without a physical CD (or DVD) of the OS.

Sure, now that we have Time Machine, we are slowly going down that road but, as it is now, it's *nowhere* as safe or as practical as a physical CD (with the trusty CMD+C)...

morespce54
Nov 30, 2007, 03:19 PM
...One day you'll receive a USB memory stick with it instead. You'll pop it in, mount the disk and run the installer...

This idea (or even the iPod idea with iTunes installer on it) seems much more adequate for softwares distribution than mini-cds, as far as I'm concerned.

Plus, you could (possibly) reuse them...:rolleyes:
No more zillions CD/DVDs laying on your desk... :D

EagerDragon
Nov 30, 2007, 10:26 PM
Another stupid device to carry, lose or break. Regular DVD format is fine, leave it alone.

There is no real must have advantage here.

timothyjay2004
Dec 1, 2007, 05:54 PM

Here is my theory, and it's just a theory, but may one day come to life. Seeing how the new smaller laptop is supposedly going to not contain a cd-rom drive, how is someone supposed to go about updating their operating system later when 10.6 or 11 comes out (they will be on DVD's)? What if something gets corrupted and the original OS needs to be reinstalled? What if a person does not have access to an external CD/DVD drive?

Enter the new possibility: Removable USB flash card based distribution. Flash media is getting cheaper and cheaper as the memory sizes increase. In theory, Apple could have the OS installation on a USB flash drive (that would be protected from user erases of course). This would also allow the system to update the installation files on the USB Flash drive (Ex: flash media ships with 10.5, and a few weeks later 10.5.1 comes out. The system/OS (being the only mechanism that can make changes to the flash drive) could update the files on the flash drive to include 10.5.1 so that the user does not have to update and it would make the recovery process faster). Apple's programs, such as iWork or iLife, could be shipped on small, lightweight flash drives with the same criteria (the ability to update the installer files and the system being the only mechanism that can make any changes). Plus, the newer macs have the ability to boot through USB making it doable.

I know, it sounds a little out there, but look at the impact that it could have on the user end as well as Apple's end. NAND is getting cheaper all the time, probably never as cheap as CD's, but it could maybe one day get there. But the programs, such as mac os or ilife, could be zipped (unzipped by mac os or disk utility) and .dmg'ed to make the size smaller. iLife '08 installation package could in theory fit on a 512mb flash drive.

As per the folding mini-CD adaptor, it's neat but I'd honestly be afraid to use it. I'd be afraid that the rotation of the disk would break one of the folding hinges, resulting in a useless disk drive. With how big program installer packages are getting, they won't be able to fit the installer packages onto the tiny disks, at least for very long. It's an idea that I think is a little too late in this digital era.

timothyjay2004
Dec 1, 2007, 05:58 PM

- they are tiny
- and they are reusable

I guess someone else had the same idea as I did (I only read the first and second page), but I had elaborated on how this could be done and what restrictions that they should have.

John Musbach
Dec 1, 2007, 07:26 PM

Apple points out that the use of reduced-size media when possible would reduce shipping, manufacturing, and packaging costs. However, such media cannot be played in slot-loading drives that are designed to only accept standard-sized 12 cm media.

As a solution, Apple presents an adapter that would fit around reduced-sized media, making the media work as if it were standard 12 cm media in slot-loading devices.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/11/29/CDadapter1_300.gif

The patent application, which was first published last Thursday, was filed in May of 2006 and was brought to light today (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/29/apple_developing_mini_disc_adapter_for_slot_loading_drives.html) by AppleInsider.

Raw Data: Patent Application #20070271577 (http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22Apple+Computer%22&s2=Fadell&OS=%22Apple+Computer%22+AND+Fadell&RS=%22Apple+Computer%22+AND+Fadell)

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/29/apple-patents-mini-cd-dvd-rom-adapter-for-slot-loading-drives/)

A definite thumbs up for this one! Too many times have I been given a mini cd rom from a hardware package I ordered and have had to go find a regular tower computer to read the cd rom on.

ClassicMac247
Dec 2, 2007, 12:20 AM
very cool

philips
Dec 2, 2007, 07:07 AM
That's all good but I am really tired of all those non-standard medias.

8cm CD and DVD disks are standardized. (Oddly enough, you Americos call that 8cm vs. 12 cm while here in Europe most people I know refer to the disks as 3.5" and 5.25")

I think they should all be the same size.

"I think they should all be the same small size." - corrected that for you.

I stopped using CD/DVDs because 12cm is dominant form factor - and it doesn't fit my pockets. On other side, 3.5" USB hard drive fits perfectly and can hold much more info.

We are already facing an exciting dilemma about BR/HD DVD... :eek:

BR/HD are both now on hook of movie industry. And movie industry want you to sell something huge, big - at least physically - to make overpriced movie (you have paid N time before already) look OK in comparison. At least that was my impression.

Anyway, I'm all for smaller disk domination. Probably I would start using them then again.

P.S. And of course Apple's R&D gets a "TOO BAD" mark for not taking/ripping idea from Wii drive.