PDA

View Full Version : Ultra-Portable MacBook Likely at Macworld San Francisco 2008?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Nov 30, 2007, 10:55 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster believes (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/30/piper_ups_likelihood_of_ultra_portable_at_macworld_comments_on_iphone.html) that the likelihood of an ultra-portable MacBook is about 85% at Macworld San Francisco.

Munster bases this prediction on circulating rumors about the ultraportable MacBook that have been making the rounds amongst Mac rumor sites over the past few months.
"As Macworld approaches, reports of an ultraportable MacBook are following patterns of previously expected products that eventually materialized," analyst Gene Munster wrote in a note to clients. "We believe these reports are legitimate and continue to expect Apple to introduce a MacBook with a significantly smaller form factor."

The new ultraportable MacBooks are rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/12/ultra-portable-mac-expected-at-macworld-expo-2008/) to be aluminum clad, 50% lighter and "strikingly slimmer" than the existing 15" MacBook Pros. They are also expected to incorporate NAND Flash memory to improve battery life and boot times.

Macworld San Francisco takes place January 14-18th 2008 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, CA.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/30/ultra-portable-macbook-likely-at-macworld-san-francisco-2008/)

Much Ado
Nov 30, 2007, 10:56 AM
I want one already.

Eidorian
It sounds better then keynote slides at WWDC 2007. :rolleyes:

MrT8064
Great news, just what i've been waiting for!

thejadedmonkey
Nov 30, 2007, 10:57 AM
I've wanted one for ages... give me a reason to sell my MBP, get a windows desktop for gaming, web design, and expandable storage, and and a nice thin mac laptop... mmm heaven:)

TripleCore
Nov 30, 2007, 10:57 AM
It seems logical for a product to fill the gap between an iPhone and laptop form factor. I remember when they released the 12" powerbook, which was stressed as a portable, where they showed photogs taking it in the field. Something like this would be even greater for traveling. But I wonder if this is same or different from a rumored tablet...

OwlsAndApples
Nov 30, 2007, 10:58 AM
Please Apple! These sound immense (in quality...not size ;)).

DJTJ
I'll be in line to buy as soon as its released!

olliebraves20
Hopefully this will come true!! I wonder what the wait times will be like to get one since I'm sure everyone will want one when they come out....

headfuzz
Nov 30, 2007, 11:00 AM
Seeing as by reading all the rumours sites a lot we have already worked this out for ourselves, I reckon we should all demand an Analyst's salary from Piper Jaffray. It's only fair. :rolleyes:

PDE
Nov 30, 2007, 11:01 AM
likelIhood, not likelYhood.

EDIT: FIXED!

Digital Skunk
Nov 30, 2007, 11:04 AM
I will believe it when I see it. And I hope that the price is sort of reasonable. I wouldn't mind an underpowered processor (2GHz or so) but I would love to see the option to make it a true performer, and something that can actually compete with the Dell M1330.

mrsebastian
Nov 30, 2007, 11:06 AM
if the rumors are true and steve doesn't blow it, by pricing the damn thing too high as usual, i'll take at least one and maybe two... heck you can bundle two of 'em with an airport (apple tv?/needs streaming hd video) and sell it as a family entertainment bundle.

Romanesq
Nov 30, 2007, 11:08 AM
Wonder what the specs would be and what size screen they'd go with? :cool:

AoWolf
Nov 30, 2007, 11:09 AM
I am in the market for one so this is good news :)

koobcamuk
Nov 30, 2007, 11:14 AM
EVeryone is going to complain so much after MWSF :o

plumbingandtech
Nov 30, 2007, 11:15 AM
One. Please.:)

Marx55
Nov 30, 2007, 11:15 AM
We need ultraportables at our University, but ONLY if they are trully and really ULTRAPORTABLE. For us, that is not another iBook or Mac Book, but something completely different. We want to carry the full Mac OS X experience (read the full of it!) in our pocket. In our hand. Call it iPalm or the revival of the Newton. But make it now.

Why? Because we do not want to carry heavy laptops. We want something as light as an iPod touch, iPhone or similar, but with a true full Mac OS X inside. Of course, full support for Keynote and PowerPoint NATIVE file formats for the ultimate presentation remote experience from the device. Wired and also wireless. Got it? We have an order of several thousand units waiting for!

notjustjay
Nov 30, 2007, 11:18 AM
Here we go again.

I'll believe it when I see it.

itickings
Nov 30, 2007, 11:21 AM
Here we go again.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Seconded. Or maybe rather "I'll buy it when I see it".

Clive At Five
Nov 30, 2007, 11:21 AM
Oh, please. Can we stop recycling all this "Analyst" garbage?

Let's get real here and realize that Gene doesn't actually have more info than any of us. His sources are Apple rumors sites! See?
Munster bases this prediction on circulating rumors about the ultraportable MacBook that have been making the rounds amongst Mac rumor sites over the past few months.
Therefore he can't draw any more of an 85% chance than any of us... and I have yet to see any truly compelling stories about ultra-portables. AppleInsider had one a while back, but that's just one report, and they practically worship anything Shaw Wu says, so who knows if it's real.

We should be asking an expert at collecting Apple-Related news and rumors...

Arn, what are the chances we will see an "ultra-portable" (or as I would like to guess, "slightly-more-portable") from Apple at MWSF?

-Clive

SciTeach
Nov 30, 2007, 11:22 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster believes (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/30/piper_ups_likelihood_of_ultra_portable_at_macworld_comments_on_iphone.html) that the likelihood of an ultra-portable MacBook is about 85% at Macworld San Francisco.
Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/30/ultra-portable-macbook-likely-at-macworld-san-francisco-2008/)

That still leaves a 15% chance that it will not happen. Hmmm. Not to sound like a pessimist, but I won't be holding my breath on that one. Still, maybe the new ultra-portable will take those small DVD-Roms you put in camcorders.
EVeryone is going to complain so much after MWSF :o

Don't they always do anyway?:rolleyes:

Oirectine
Nov 30, 2007, 11:24 AM
One word to this guy: "DUH!" :)

ehsteve23
Nov 30, 2007, 11:26 AM
Seconded. Or maybe rather "I'll buy it when I see it".

that sounds about right

macdaddy57
Nov 30, 2007, 11:27 AM
This news doesn't excite me in the least. We don't need another laptop; we've got laptops. What we really need is a Mac tablet!!! I want a tablet, 8.5" x 11" or smaller that I can carry around with me. Here's what it would have:

Wi-Fi
EVDO support
Built in webcam and microphone
USB ports
Web browsing
iTunes
View TV shows and movies
Download and read books and magazine articles (think Kindle)
Touch keypad like iPhone (optional handwriting recognition)

This would be the ultimate light-weight, portable media device. With it I could surf the web, send emails, webcam, listen to music, watch movies or TV shows, or even read books and magazines... all with a slender tablet that I could hold like a magazine. I could use it literally anywhere and have Internet access where ever I go. The iPhone screen just isn't large enough for all of these uses.

IMHO Apple is really missing the boat here. This would be a "killer app" type of product not only for the home but I could see everyone at work carrying them around. And if there was built in Exchange access and an open API so that developers could create applications for it, forget about it! Game over, Redmond.

C'mon Steve, make this happen!

plumbingandtech
Nov 30, 2007, 11:30 AM

Let's get real here and realize that Gene doesn't actually have more info than any of us. His sources are Apple rumors sites! See?

Actually he talks to people in the supply chain, China, Taiwan etc. And makes judgements based on supply inventory and other parameters.

So you are wrong.

cloudnine
Nov 30, 2007, 11:31 AM

Ditto! I still have my maxed out PB G4 12", and I've refused to get a MBP or MB because they're too big (I have a 23" cinema display for when I need the size...) to lug around with me everywhere I go. I love the portability of my PowerBook, but it's getting to be the time where I have to give the baby up. I've gone this long without Adobe CS3, which stinks... if they don't release this rumored ultraportable, I guess I'll have to suck it up and get a 15" :(

cohibadad
Nov 30, 2007, 11:31 AM
sweet. if the likelihood of things coming out is directly related to the number of posts on mac rumor sites then we got a lot of amazing stuff coming!

MattJessop
Nov 30, 2007, 11:33 AM
While this is kinda old news, I'd definitely would love to see something of this sort (even though I wouldn't buy one just yet)

As for ultra-portables at uni? I'm pretty darn happy with my Macbook for Uni. It's so much smaller than anybody else's laptop, and it's light and easy to carry, plus it has a really great case.

I'm not sure if a tablet would be overly great? It'd have its uses, but I'm much more content to have something that I can work on a full proper essay with. I've owned smaller word processing devices, and by god are they not nice to work on for more than 5 mins :P

Manatee
Nov 30, 2007, 11:35 AM
So should we all retrieve our posts from the previous thread?

It's nice to get a reminder of the anticipated specs -- the footprint of a 15" MBP, half the weight (2.8 lbs), very slim, possible SSHD. This is the device I'm hoping for. I don't want a hand-held, or a low-priced gadget. I want a light, elegant, fully-functioning computer that runs OS X.

zwida
Nov 30, 2007, 11:36 AM
I'd have no choice but to buy at least one for personal use. Frankly, if the specs were strong enough, I'd buy them for my staff to replace their last gen PowerBooks.

RichP
Nov 30, 2007, 11:38 AM
I think a tablet is not going to happen. If we have a tablet, we are probably going to have an OS very similar in GUI to iphone. That means that you will not be installing OSX apps on it (pshop, office, etc) I dont want a glorified internet tablet, I want a superportable laptop that can run adobe and office apps (even if they dont run extremely fast)

Beside, handwriting recognition I feel is old tech. Most people type faster and can enter data more quickly than by writing. I can hardly read my handwriting these days, how can I expect a machine to?

Rhosfelt
Nov 30, 2007, 11:38 AM
idk about you guys but I love my MBP and I would want an nice update to the PRO laptop. something like extremely thin and maybe a 13"ws

have to keep my backlight keyboard and video card for gaming on the go. :) I'd even take just a bump in processor speed, I belive I am running a 2gz Core Duo so a 2.5 C2D is good enough in my book :)

I already have a iPt and there is a good chance I'm getting an iPhone too, so I wouldn't go anywhere near a tablet. I always make fun of table pc users so no thanks. I'd rather do video and image editing than draw on a screen.

cloudnine
Nov 30, 2007, 11:39 AM
if the rumors are true and steve doesn't blow it, by pricing the damn thing too high as usual, i'll take at least one and maybe two... heck you can bundle two of 'em with an airport (apple tv?/needs streaming hd video) and sell it as a family entertainment bundle.

Well, not to burst your bubble, but Apple would never "bundle" one of their laptops with something else... but yeah, I'm also concerned about the pricing... especially since they would probably attempt to use the NAND flash memory as a selling point.

However, we have to admit that Apple's been doing *a lot* better about the pricing of their computers to make them more accessible and reasonable in the past year or so... hell, how many times did Steve Jobs stress at the keynote presentation when he released the Mac Pro that the price was much lower than the PowerMac G5?

Maybe it's stupid of me, but I'm getting my hopes up with this one...

boxlight
Nov 30, 2007, 11:39 AM
I'd like to get an inexpensive laptop just for web browsing around the house, I'm wondering would such a "ultra-portable" typically be more expensive or less expensive than, say, the cheapest MacBook?

DaBrain
Nov 30, 2007, 11:41 AM

I'll await the pricing info!:eek:

bdkennedy1
Nov 30, 2007, 11:43 AM
What do we need an ultra-portable for? What would it be used for? Didn't Apple already try this with the 12" PowerBook that nobody bought?

Data
I wanna love it, be i only could if i would be able to stick a regular cd/dvd into it to play/import it, otherwise id will not do for me,and in earlier rumors i rad that the woun't be puting in a superdive :(

plumbingandtech
That's the thing.

What price?

lowend 1200$ or higher end $1800-$2000.

If it is priced higher I want horsepower in the thing.

I mean really, if the thing does not provide more horsepower and costs $1800 then the macbook, I (and I bet a few others.) will just buy a macbook which not quite as small, is close to performance of a macbook pro (except for graphics cards which I do not care about) and is built like a little tank so you can toss it around.

Edit:

Unless it has multitouch and the screen detaches! Then I will spend more. :)

Edit 2:

As you prob. guessed this would be my travel, take to the living room,coffee house machine and not my main mac.

jnc
Nov 30, 2007, 11:46 AM
Where's all this "tablet" hububb coming from? That's a pipedream if ever I heard one -- straight after the iPhone and iPod touch come on the scene, you really think some magical, do everything tablet's gonna follow? whatever...

A super-slim 13" macbook pro... sounds a lot more like it. $1999. Shipping tomorrow :p

Oh, and it'll definitely cost more than a MacBook - it's not all about specs, you pay a premium for the slim and light more portable design. I wouldn't expect speeds any faster than the latest MacBooks, but I would expect a dedicated GPU

cloudnine
Nov 30, 2007, 11:46 AM
I'd like to get an inexpensive laptop just for web browsing around the house, I'm wondering would such a "ultra-portable" typically be more expensive or less expensive than, say, the cheapest MacBook?

That's a good question... it all depends on the specs, though. If they market it as a "mini-macbook pro", I would assume that it would be more expensive than the MacBook. Plus, as I wrote in a post earlier, I'm also concerned that Apple would try to use the NAND flash (if that's what they would use) as a selling point. However, because of the size and cooling requirements, I wonder if the specs would have to be relatively low, therefore lowering the price?

However, I *am* just speaking out of my a$$, so who knows :p

cloudnine
Nov 30, 2007, 11:48 AM
What do we need an ultra-portable for? What would it be used for? Didn't Apple already try this with the 12" PowerBook that nobody bought?

It's funny that you say that... I go to a coffee shop to work all the time, and believe it or not, the majority of people in there are still using their 12" PowerBooks because they love the ultraportability... I still see them everywhere. And also, if you follow the forums here, you'll see that a bunch of people still use them, as well.

Not to point out that you're wrong or anything, but... :p

plumbingandtech
Nov 30, 2007, 11:49 AM
It's funny that you say that... I go to a coffee shop to work all the time, and believe it or not, the majority of people in there are still using their 12" PowerBooks because they love the ultraportability... I still see them everywhere. And also, if you follow the forums here, you'll see that a bunch of people still use them, as well.

To say nothing of their resale value which is still really high, AND the japanese market which loves sub-notebooks and is a market that apple is not doing quite as well in as they hoped.

cloudnine
Nov 30, 2007, 11:53 AM
To say nothing of their resale value which is still really high, AND the japanese market which loves sub-notebooks and is a market that apple is not doing quite as well in as they hoped.

Yeah, exactly! I was looking on http://www.craigslist.org the other day (for if/when I decide to sell my PowerBook), and they're still selling anywhere from $650 to $900! For a machine that's more than 2 years old! Yet another reason I love :apple: hehe :)

tuneman07
Nov 30, 2007, 11:55 AM
Ultra portable sounds like a stupid idea to me really, I want a macbook with a dedicated graphics card. Honestly if you can carry a 13 inch 5 lb laptop around is a 11 inch 4.3 pound one going to really blow you away? The size isn't going to matter much and you will probably be sacrificing tons of performance. Honestly leave the crazy "lets see how small we can make something" to the Japanese.

appleengineer
Nov 30, 2007, 11:55 AM
We've seen this rumored EVERY year. I don't think its going to be true. Where's the proof?

The new ultraportable MacBooks are rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/12/ultra-portable-mac-expected-at-macworld-expo-2008/) to be aluminum clad, 50% lighter and "strikingly slimmer" than the existing 15" MacBook Pros. They are also expected to incorporate NAND Flash memory to improve battery life and boot times.

Macworld San Francisco takes place January 14-18th 2008 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, CA.

Clive At Five
Nov 30, 2007, 11:57 AM
This news doesn't excite me in the least. We don't need another laptop; we've got laptops. What we really need is a Mac tablet!!!

I agree that a tablet would indeed be a "killer ap," and the ultimate suppliment to one's desktop (or other main computer), but we have to keep in mind the most important thing at which no tablet to date has succeeded at: Portability.

We can rattle on about wish-lists and must-have-features, but what we really need is a unit that is light, thin, and has a long battery life. One needs to be able to easily carry the tablet in one hand and interface with the other. I see these as the most important goals in creating a tablet.

In order to accomplish this, we'll have to sacrifice a lot of power. That being said, I don't see how, at this point, we could give it any more complex of an OS than the iPhone and therefore, bmight just be dismissed as just "a big iPhone." Maybe that's what we need, but I'm assuming that people are going to want its capabilities to lie somewhere between the iPhone's and the MacBook's. If this is that case, I think we have a year or two to wait.

See, the iPhone's UI is limited by the size of its screen. Surely the SOCs inside the iPhone will become more powerful, but you'll never be able to run a program that requires a larger screen. A tablet, however, could use these moblie chips and benefit from a the larger screen, as that is its niche, so I forsee a resurgence of "true" tablets in a year or so, as we really start to chart out more-and-more powerful SOCs.

Wow. That ended up being sort of a thread-jack. Sorry, all.

Summary: I don't see an adequate tablet being a reality for another couple years.

-Clive

SthrnCmfrtr
Nov 30, 2007, 11:58 AM
We've seen this rumored EVERY year. I don't think its going to be true. Where's the proof?

I share your misgivings.

I could add that 93.24% of all probabilities are made up on the spot.

MacTheSpoon
Nov 30, 2007, 11:58 AM
I will buy one. Not looking forward to how expensive this will probably be, though... sigh... Oh well, at least I have a few months to ready myself for the hit to my wallet.

Orng
Nov 30, 2007, 11:59 AM
-Clive

Well, at least we know that Gene isn't posting as Clive at Five... unless this quote is a clever ruse...

deggs37
My gf and I have been waiting for months for something like this. I loved my 12" pb and would love to have something lighter and with longer battery life than my MBP, but with the same design. I would be in heaven.

matthewHUB
all i want to know is will it be powerful enough to:

-Handle HD home movie content on the go comfortably through imovie
-run leopard extremely efficiently
-handle the next OS comfortably

and will it:

-have an easily upgradable HD like the macbooks
-provide enough features/performance to take as your "personal machine" on business trips without having to have need for a larger comp to sync to/work on.

I want something i can take for a week and use for perhaps an hour a day on one charge (? maybe). Then sync all my work to my iMac at home eventually.

If all of the above, i'm in.

al3000
Nov 30, 2007, 12:04 PM
I'd be really interested if the spec was good, ie. better than the current macbooks.

blashphemy
Nov 30, 2007, 12:08 PM
its OK if its an ultra-portable, but can it be a Tablet PC too? Please? Especially considering that ultraportable is with very few exceptions one of the definitions of a Tablet PC?

Cherry on top? :)

offwidafairies
Nov 30, 2007, 12:08 PM
Apple needs to release something like this. My sister has a Dell Inspiron which is 2 or 3 years old and is still smaller and lighter than even the 12" mbp. I would like to show her up. ;)

cloudnine
Nov 30, 2007, 12:11 PM
its OK if its an ultra-portable, but can it be a Tablet PC too? Please? Especially considering that ultraportable is with very few exceptions one of the definitions of a Tablet PC?

Cherry on top? :)

Just out of curiosity, what industry do you work in where a Tablet PC would be appealing? :)

MacTheSpoon
Nov 30, 2007, 12:12 PM

The ultraportables of most manufacturers tend to be pretty expensive. I expect the same for Apple's. It will be more expensive than the cheapest MacBook by far. Sony's ultraportable SZ series starts at around $1500 and goes to $2600, according to the starting configurations on their web site. That's the 4.0 lb model.

There are even lighter models for sale in the Japanese market, and they're probably more expensive, still. Check out this specialty importer web site; the 2.0 lb, 12" Sony starts at $2300 and goes to $3900. They probably mark it up a bit more than you'd pay in Japan but still, it's expensive:

http://www.icube.us/

TheScavenger
Nov 30, 2007, 12:12 PM
Apple needs to release something like this. My sister has a Dell Inspiron which is 2 or 3 years old and is still smaller and lighter than even the 12" mbp. I would like to show her up. ;)

Which inspiron is that? I didn't know Dell made inspirons smaller than the 12" PowerBook (which is what I think you are talking about).

Josh

tcoleman
Nov 30, 2007, 12:15 PM
This news doesn't excite me in the least. We don't need another laptop; we've got laptops. What we really need is a Mac tablet!!! I want a tablet, 8.5" x 11" or smaller that I can carry around with me. Here's what it would have:

<snip>

*sputter*

You don't ask for much, do you?

Excuse me while I wipe coffee off my monitor.

splintah
Nov 30, 2007, 12:16 PM
lets hope that ends up as a portable tablet
with multi touch
with pressure sesitive pen support
with dedicated 3d chip

then i am so going to buy it
even though i cant afford it right now

guzhogi
Nov 30, 2007, 12:16 PM
Sounds cool. I can see maybe a 12" screen, NAND flash, no hard drive or optical drive. However, I wonder how long it'll last if Apple does do this. I could see Apple pulling it after a few months saying it either is not selling well enough or is selling too well and is cannibalizing MacBook/MacBook Pro sales. While I like Apple products, I feel that Apple wants to increase its market share, but only wants to sell high-end stuff that's too expensive for the regular user. IMO, I think Apple's trying to be the Gucci or Versace of electronics world, but also wants everyone to have it and wonders why no one can buy it. Just my 2

riverfreak
Nov 30, 2007, 12:17 PM

Although a tablet sounds intriguing, I couldn't disagree with you more. Apple *desperately* needs an ultraportable LAPTOP.

I'm not talking about a glorified palm device like another poster suggested, or an expanded iPhone. I'm talking about an ultraportable laptop for people who travel, people who travel a lot.

Lugging around a 15" laptop, adaptor, extra battery is a complete drag, literally. Tack on cameras, lenses, let alone clothes; it's a burden.

A small form factor, fully-functional laptop is precisely what Apple needs (IMHO :) ). I saw a 12" powerbook the other day and had to marvel at just how much more portable it is than the current MacBooks and MacBook Pros/Powerbooks. Even then, I still think that the 12" was too big.

Years ago, I had a VAIO with a high resolution 10" screen. It weighed like a pound and was smaller than a sheet of paper. I could actually use it on an airplane in coach. It was a dream to carry around. I dread lugging around my 15" powerbook. It's great on the desk, or schlepping to coding sessions or meetings; it completely sucks for extended travel.

I'd love to see Apple do something like the old VAIOs...

aljawad
Nov 30, 2007, 12:20 PM
Even though I own a MBP 15", I still travel with my trusty 12"er PB. When it comes to the internet and Office apps, it still performs OK. Using it to archive my travel photos is another story: iPhoto crawls on this little boy.

Either a new small MBP or a tablet, it must be as versatile as the 12" PB used to be when it was introduced back in '03; remember how Steve pitched it as a good iLife platform? Sure, we ran 10.2, iLife '03, Keynote 1.0 and MS Office X on it.

And the thing must be priced reasonably (say around $1500?). Now this is gonna be the clincher: the current price of a flash-memory HD replacement ... I recall the 64GB priced at that exact same amount just a few weeks ago :eek:

Anyhow, I'm already booked to attend MWSF '08. I hope I'll be super-duper-pleasantly surprised :D

Clive At Five
Nov 30, 2007, 12:21 PM
Actually he talks to people in the supply chain, China, Taiwan etc. And makes judgements based on supply inventory and other parameters.

So you are wrong.

So you are making a huge assumption.

READ:

And unless Munster posts the phone conversations for all of us to hear for ourselves, I wouldn't believe him for a minute that he "talks to people in the supply chain, China, Taiwan." Aside from that, Apple has confidentiality agreements with suppliers, so they cannot reveal to whom and how much they are supplying. A supplier could say, "we moved 15 million 4GB NAND Flash SSDs, but that's about it. The rest is all just assumptions.

-Clive

jockmock
Nov 30, 2007, 12:22 PM
if it's going to have NAND, except 2k to dissapear from your pocket

dashiel
Nov 30, 2007, 12:22 PM
the ultra-portable/thin mac book is likely to fall in to one of two categories:

1) a gorgeous looking, but rather pedestrian, me-too product. it will still sell like hot-cakes, but won't be the game changer that apple can be (think ipod mini, airport express, appleTV, etc...)

2) a paradigm shift in what an ultra portable is (think ipod, iphone, macintosh, etc...)

there's nothing really wrong with either approach, though i'm sort of hoping for option 2. with the iphone i hardly pick up my powerbook anymore, but there are plenty on instances where the iphone just doesn't cut it. i could use something between the two, for the couch, meetings, the coffee shop, etc...

Popeye206
Nov 30, 2007, 12:23 PM
Oh please, please! I want one!

My prediction for Mac World is... Upgrades to the new Intel processor for the iMac and Mac Pro, a major update for the iPhone with 3rd party apps (this is a no brainer) and a whole bunch of fixes and feature refinements, possible new iPhone with more memory (16gb), and I really hope a new Ultra Portable with all the goodies. If we're lucky, we'll hear some good news on iTunes and more content coming and maybe they'll make AppleTV worth while???

As always... it should be a fun ride!!!!! Any other educated predictions?

Orng
Nov 30, 2007, 12:23 PM

I'm dying for a 12 or 13 inch Macbook Pro. I want MORE graphics power than a macbook, and less size/price than a 15" MBP, and when I need more screen real estate, I'll plug in my monitors. I frankly don't care if it's thin or thick, just give it a dedicated graphics card. The macbook is just not suitable for anyone who needs to cut video. I mean real video, not iMovie.

chelsel
Nov 30, 2007, 12:34 PM
it's not hard to figure out. The rumors are planted by Apple themselves.

diamond.g
Nov 30, 2007, 12:35 PM
If this ultraportable is between 1.5 and 3.5 lbs then it would sell like hotcakes. I know I'd consider getting one.

plumbingandtech
Nov 30, 2007, 12:36 PM
Munster bases this prediction o

Then you AND macrumors got this wrong. Or more likely MR was skipped the obvious part where they assume everyone knows analysts have contacts etc. in the supply chain. Guess they should not skip the obvious for some.

And unless Munster posts the phone conversations for all of us to hear for ourselves, I wouldn't believe him for a minute that he "talks to people in the supply chain, China, Taiwan."

You truly do not know what his job entails do you?

So you are making a huge assumption.

-Clive

Good grief.

You make a totally false statement and falsely accuse him of JUST reading rumor Web sites to come to his conclusions.

Then, instead of just saying, yah I was wrong, you now say that being an anylyst consists of nothing but reading the Internet.

Do you know what their job entails. I guess not otherwise you would not have made your remark in the first place.

He may be right about this or maybe wrong but

Is just plain wrong.

http://www.piperjaffray.com/1col.aspx?id=7&analystid=131

Yep "all" he does is read macrumors sites... That managing director title of his, he just "manages to director his browser to rumor sites?" that senior researcher title he has, " he just the most senior researcher of the intnernets?" All those people that work for him, just cruise the Internet rumor sites all day?

Just quit while you are behind...

Crike .40
Nov 30, 2007, 12:37 PM
money in hand, I can't wait.

Granted, I've been waiting for this for almost 4 years now, so I won't be surprised if the rumor continues to simply be just that... a rumor.

wilburpan
Nov 30, 2007, 12:40 PM
Hey, remember those lawsuits that Apple filed against various rumor sites? Why isn't Piper Jaffray a similar target?

Butthead
Nov 30, 2007, 12:40 PM
In another 2 weeks it will be 90%, and 2 more after that it will be 95%.

99% of nothing is still nothing when you are just guessing, lol

sjo
Nov 30, 2007, 12:50 PM
And what does the financial community think of this Munster fellow?

Dumb-o-meter score: 95. Munster and Olson are "senior" research analysts, raising the question of what the "junior" folks are up to at Piper Jaffray.

http://www.thestreet.com/s/the-five-dumbest-things-on-wall-street-this-week/newsanalysis/dumbest/10392262.html

Why do anyone pay any attention to him, really?

Cloudsurfer
Nov 30, 2007, 12:51 PM
I so hope this is true! I can't wait to sell my MacBook and get one that is actually light enough to be carried to school on a daily basis.

plumbingandtech
Nov 30, 2007, 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=TheStreet]Dumb-o-meter score: 95. Munster and Olson are "senior" research analysts, raising the question of what the "junior" folks are up to at Piper Jaffray./QUOTE]

http://www.thestreet.com/s/the-five-dumbest-things-on-wall-street-this-week/newsanalysis/dumbest/10392262.html

It's one thing to pay or not pay attention to him, that is up to you, and frankly MOST analysts are WRONG a lot.

But this:

But to say an analyst Let's get real here and realize that Gene doesn't actually have more info than any of us. His sources are Apple rumors sites! See?

Is silly and wrong.

CKtoph
Nov 30, 2007, 12:55 PM
I'm assuming that the announcement is referring to a ultra-portable MB, not MBPro. From that assumption, I'd guess that the capabilities of the new ultra-portable MB would be very limited compared to the current line up of "not-so-ultra-portables."

I'll be perfectly content with a new and improved MBP in January.

macdaddy57
Nov 30, 2007, 12:58 PM
*sputter*

You don't ask for much, do you?

Excuse me while I wipe coffee off my monitor.

I know I'm asking for a lot :o but you have to admit, a tablet that could do all of that would be *way* cool.

The thing I worry about with an ultrathin MacBook is how they'll cool it. When you're streaming videos which is what a lot of people want to do these days, your chips really generate a lot of heat. My MacBook Pro already runs hot. I can imagine a thinner laptop will feel like a bagel toaster if I spend more than a few minutes on YouTube.

iSee
Nov 30, 2007, 12:58 PM

So you are wrong.

Actually, the reason given for this conclusion is the rumors themselves:
As Macworld approaches, reports of an ultraportable MacBook are following patterns of previously expected products that eventually materialized," analyst Gene Munster wrote in a note to clients. "We believe these reports are legitimate and continue to expect Apple to introduce a MacBook with a significantly smaller form factor.

No mention of supply chains or other parameters here.

So you are wrong. :p

EDIT: ...Is silly and wrong.

...and silly :p

Jaymes
Nov 30, 2007, 01:00 PM
It's kind of funny. The analyst claims his prediction is based on rumor sites. The rumors sites then post his prediction. Next, the analyst will write another article talking about the increased flurry of posts about an ultra-portable. Then, the rumors sites will post his story once again.

This, my friends, is called a feedback loop.

williedigital
Nov 30, 2007, 01:02 PM
I so hope this is true! I can't wait to sell my MacBook and get one that is actually light enough to be carried to school on a daily basis.

I never understand this. It's like 3-4 pounds lighter. Is that really so much weight that you can't take it to school? Don't you have books? I read recently that the average student bookbag was 30-40 pounds, and giving many students back problems...

ibn.
Nov 30, 2007, 01:02 PM
not that excited. few weeks ago this guy said 75% now it's 85%. hmmm...

but still, i do want a slim, aluminum MB/MBP with a NAND drive and a decent GPU. so i'll continue to wait for it, i got time.

archurban
Nov 30, 2007, 01:04 PM
it sounds great. but only what I am concerned is the price. because Sony ultra portable laptop (11.1 inch screen) is very expensive now. so I hope that Apple will offer reasonable price for us.

jacg
Nov 30, 2007, 01:04 PM
Is there any chance that this potential product line will have both pro and consumer products?

Macbooks are quite heavy. Could they make a thinner DVD-less version for less money? Or would flash memory bump the price right back up. I wish we could get some for my school but the base model is still too much for us.

Macbook Pros obviously lack even a Macbook sized model. Could they max something tiny out with a serious processor, 320 GB HD, 4 GB RAM?

How would OS X handle a SSD if it was in addition to a traditional HD? Just a separate partition or something a bit more integrated and smarter?

If a Pro version with a 13" screen came out that I could Max out I would be prepared to spend a fair bit I suspect...

pgwalsh
Nov 30, 2007, 01:05 PM

Wi-Fi
EVDO support
USB ports
Web browsing
iTunes
View TV shows and movies

Just out of curiosity, what industry do you work in where a Tablet PC would be appealing? :) I wouldn't want a tablet for work. I'd want a tablet computer for play. I'm not a gadget guy and therefor have forgone the iPod Touch or the iPhone. I have a shuffle for running or cycling, but the other's don't interest me.

I'd like a tablet with most of the above specifications, but also included 3G and GPS. I don't want a full blown Leopard, but a beefed up larger form factor iPod touch. Something I could lazily surf the web while on the couch or in bed reading an ebook. Something I can put in my car for directions or let one of my nephews watch a movie on while driving to Tahoe.

The Nokia N800 and N810 come close to the ideal device, but I think the screen is too small. I like the nokia because it runs certain Linux applications, but it's not a full blow version of Ubuntu or something like that.

Apple has everything in place to produce one of these devices and I believe it would be better than any of the current Tablet PC's or the Nokia N810. It's not a device for everyone, but it wold be a lot better than a Kindle or the like.

Clive At Five
Nov 30, 2007, 01:08 PM
It's one thing to pay or not pay attention to him, that is up to you, and frankly MOST analysts are WRONG a lot.

But [Clive's accusations are] silly and wrong.

Blind faith in an Analyst's findings is silly and wrong. Unless he shows us, first-hand, the findings of his supply-line checks, I don't think any of us have any good reason to believe him.

Were you one of the folks convincing people the 3GHz G5s are right around the corner because Steve Jobs said so? Sometimes people pull "facts" out of their posterior. Until Munster justifies himself to his clients, they (nor we) have no reason to believe him, much less invest in AAPL based on his "findings."

-Clive

SwiftLives
Nov 30, 2007, 01:09 PM
This is a hunch, but I suspect this new device is going to be more of a media device than a full fledged laptop. If that's the case, then I also suspect it will fall into the sub-$1000 range.

I thinking it will be more like a giant iPod Touch, but geared a bit more toward visual media (i.e. books, movies).

I tend to think that the components required to make an ultraportable laptop/device equivalent to a low-end MacBook would end up making it cost as much as a high-end MacBook Pro.

That's why I'm leaning toward a media device.

kclark1515
Nov 30, 2007, 01:10 PM
I am just wondering...I am thinking about purchasing a Macbook Pro, but the buying guide on this site says to wait, because they are at the end of their cycle. This ultraportable Macbook that is 85% for sure coming out in January - is that a Macbook rumor, or a Macbook Pro rumor? Anyone have any information or advice on purchasing a Macbook Pro in the near future? I will need one by March/April of 2008.

macdaddy57
Nov 30, 2007, 01:15 PM
From the response my post has gotten, I know I'm asking for the moon but just imagine if you could sit in bed at night, knees up with a Mac tablet resting against them, and you're surfing the web, watching a TV show (with earphones so you don't disturb your partner who's sleeping next to you), or answering an email. You didn't have to open a note book and balance it somehow. You just had a slender tablet the size of a magazine that would allow you to connect to anything and view any type of media... with Apple's ease of use.

Imagine sitting there and reading a book that you downloaded. Or subscribing to magazines and having the latest issue automatically downloaded to your tablet that you can read anywhere (on the sofa, at the kitchen table, in a diner, in the bathroom even!). There's an magazine article that you want to save so you download a PDF version (think O'Reilly Safari) to your tablet that Spotlight can index and that you can refer to later. Maybe there's a third party app that will allow me to easily annotate my copy (no, not bloated Acrobat please).

C'mon folks, let's dream a little!

twoodcc
Nov 30, 2007, 01:15 PM
really hope this is true. only time will tell though

sjo
Nov 30, 2007, 01:18 PM
Is silly and wrong.

if you care to check the track record of gene munster, i think you'd agree that it's neither silly or wrong. even if analyst get things wrong, few if none get things so wrong as munster.

sadly it appears that the most likely reason for his bad track record is that the guy just makes things up. that's why i wonder why anyone still pays any attention to him. that, or he does indeed call around and ppl just lie to him.

quandmeme
Nov 30, 2007, 01:18 PM
This is the best forum for me to throw this out. I personally am buying into the theory of an ultra portable device--heck, why not two: a tablet and a lighter laptop. For me it is based on other releases. Building the best mobile phone produced the ipod touch, because after they had done all the work on the phone version they could see how great an ipod it is and made it without the voice capability.

I think the new iMac keyboards were spin offs in the same way. They were designing tablet MBs and came up with the most portable blue tooth keyboard they could imagine. It was so sexy they sold it with the iMacs too, but it was designed as a tablet accessory. The iPhone has been a great learning tool for Apple. They waited on the sdk because it is going to be a mobile architecture for the tablet. They are forking the OS, but I think it is looking a lot more elegant than the WinMobile/Vista fork.

gotohamish
Nov 30, 2007, 01:21 PM
all i want to know is will it be powerful enough to:

-Handle HD home movie content on the go comfortably through imovie
-run leopard extremely efficiently
-handle the next OS comfortably

and will it:

-have an easily upgradable HD like the macbooks
-provide enough features/performance to take as your "personal machine" on business trips without having to have need for a larger comp to sync to/work on.

I want something i can take for a week and use for perhaps an hour a day on one charge (? maybe). Then sync all my work to my iMac at home eventually.

If all of the above, i'm in.

AMEN to that.

EagerDragon
Nov 30, 2007, 01:22 PM
Since we are all guessing here,

I think also it will be close to 1900 if it is using NAND, and 1300 if using hard disk, it will be much lighter, and underpowered, probably dual core 2.0 or less to keep the heat down.

Closer to the mini in power and expandability, very dense screen to make the images and text super sharp.

Forget video card, this is for the road, not for gaming.

mandoman
Nov 30, 2007, 01:31 PM
Weren't early reports that this was part of the macbook line?
Like the whole macbook line was going to go silver
and black aluminum?

Anyhow, assuming the existing MB and MBP lines are
pretty much staying the same, than I expect this
product to sit right between the upper end MB and
low end MBP:

13" WS aluminum LED backlight
2.2 ghz C2D
2gb ram
120 gb hdd (no solid state, to $$$ now, sorry maybe BTO)
???Superdrive???
$1799

However, part of me thinks whole new product line
if the design ends up being radically different. We'll see...

Jaymes
Nov 30, 2007, 01:33 PM
Imagine sitting there and reading a book that you downloaded. Or subscribing to magazines and having the latest issue automatically downloaded to your tablet that you can read anywhere (on the sofa, at the kitchen table, in a diner, in the bathroom even!).

Hmm ... viewing a download while I download.

I don't like the visual, but I do like the idea!

BWhaler
Nov 30, 2007, 01:35 PM
I think this could be a winner for me. I use the 17" hooked up to the 30" display, but something super small, light, powerful with great battery life would be amazing. (If such a thing is even possible.)

But, no matter how excited I get, I have been burned enough with Rev. A laptops from Apple.)

As a guy who suffered through the first Powerbook 12" heat and build issues and the unforgivable bad MacBook issues, I am not going to be the test subject here. (Especially when so much is new.)

I may not wait until Rev B, but I am not a Day 1 Buyer of Apple portable products anymore.

With all of that said, it wouldn't surprise me if this is a living room device and everyone has it wrong. (Although, I think that is coming in June.)

MrCrowbar
Nov 30, 2007, 01:36 PM

Errr. the 12" was the hot seller I believe. Fits in every bag/purse and all.

guzhogi
Nov 30, 2007, 01:37 PM
I know at http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ModBook/, you can buy a MacBook modded into a tablet. Pretty cool. Can't wait to see what the Apple version would be.

EagerDragon
Nov 30, 2007, 01:40 PM
I think this could be a winner for me. I use the 17" hooked up to the 30" display, but something super small, light, powerful with great battery life would be amazing. (If such a thing is even possible.)

But, no matter how excited I get, I have been burned enough with Rev. A laptops from Apple.)

As a guy who suffered through the first Powerbook 12" heat and build issues and the unforgivable bad MacBook issues, I am not going to be the test subject here. (Especially when so much is new.)

I may not wait until Rev B, but I am not a Day 1 Buyer of Apple portable products anymore.

With all of that said, it wouldn't surprise me if this is a living room device and everyone has it wrong. (Although, I think that is coming in June.)

While we are dreaming, lets add 2 quad Xeons to get an octal and run it at 3.6 GHZ, with a new power source where you just add water to recharge and only 1.7 lb for the weight.

Chopper9
Nov 30, 2007, 01:41 PM

Wi-Fi
EVDO support
USB ports
Web browsing
iTunes
View TV shows and movies

This would be the ultimate light-weight, portable media device. With it I could surf the web, send emails, webcam, listen to music, watch movies or TV shows, or even read books and magazines... all with a slender tablet that I could hold like a magazine. I could use it literally anywhere and have Internet access where ever I go. The iPhone screen just isn't large enough for all of these uses.

IMHO Apple is really missing the boat here. This would be a "killer app" type of product not only for the home but I could see everyone at work carrying them around. And if there was built in Exchange access and an open API so that developers could create applications for it, forget about it! Game over, Redmond.

What he said.

CANEHDN
Nov 30, 2007, 01:49 PM
I don't care about an ultra thin laptop. i would love to see NAND memory in the Macbook Pros though. I would love to have to extended battery life.

smooth
Nov 30, 2007, 01:52 PM
Weren't early reports that this was part of the macbook line?
Like the whole macbook line was going to go silver
and black aluminum?

Anyhow, assuming the existing MB and MBP lines are
pretty much staying the same, than I expect this
product to sit right between the upper end MB and
low end MBP:

2.2 ghz C2D
2gb ram
???Superdrive???
$1799

However, part of me thinks whole new product line
if the design ends up being radically different. We'll see...

Comparing a 12" Powerbook to the current MacBooks, the size difference is not very much. All in all, they are very close to the same size, obviously the MB being widescreen. That would lead me to agree with Mandoman that this rumored product could be a smaller MBP.

If they were to come out with an entire new line, MacBook Nano for example, they could have 2 versions. One meant for entertainment/casual use and the other for the business user. The MacBook Nano, approx 11" (enough difference between it and the MacBook) whose specs are roughly equivalent to low to mid-level MB and the MacBook Nano Pro, same size, but more meant to like the MBPs - dedicated graphics, etc - and a significant price bump.

macdaddy57
Nov 30, 2007, 01:57 PM
Hmm ... viewing a download while I download.

I don't like the visual, but I do like the idea!

OK, this is absolutely my last post on a Mac tablet but while I was in the shower I was thinking, what if you could turn the tablet on it's side, press a button, and a see-through keyboard would appear on the bottom of the touch-sensitive screen. So now you can answer emails or enter URLs by typing directly on the screen. No more punching "Chicklet" keys like on the iPhone. Slide your finger one way and you change the opacity. Slide it another and you move the keys closer together or further apart (if you have thick fingers).

If we don't dream it, they'll never build it.

Digitalclips
Nov 30, 2007, 01:58 PM
I wonder why SJ doesn't announce such a beast if it exists pre Christmas? I'd have thought new goodies pre Christmas makes more sense than when everyone is trying to find the money to pay for their holiday excesses.

I know Mac World isn't run by Apple but even the organizers of MW should consider why they hold this event in january every year ... or am I missing some major reason why it has to be in January?

koobcamuk
Nov 30, 2007, 02:07 PM

He's wrong. Out of the mac owners I know, 4 have 12" PowerBooks and 3 have iBooks (12"). The others have desktops. Some have a 15" as a main machine, but it's 12" PowerBooks that are the portable OSX machine.

ross.32
Nov 30, 2007, 02:15 PM
I'm assuming that this will not be powerfull enought for a main machine, so I am just hoping for a new case design in the MBP and 1920x1200 resolution for the 15''. Maybe a # pad also. Then I would be happy.

dvkid
Nov 30, 2007, 02:15 PM

So you are wrong.

Actually....

Sweetbike40
Nov 30, 2007, 02:19 PM
NAND Flash? I wonder how much storage it will have. I'm happy to hear this. I'm glad i bought my SR MBP now and didn't wait. I wouldn't want this anyway. I would but it sounds like it MIGHT not have much space for the money. Which is fine for some people and if i had money to blow, i'd get one.:p

skellener
Nov 30, 2007, 02:20 PM
We've heard this rumor going on almost two years now.....

From MacRumors 2006

Apple Planning Ultra-Portable? (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/06/15/apple-planning-ultra-portable/)

asphalt-proof
Nov 30, 2007, 02:20 PM

Therefore he can't draw any more of an 85% chance than any of us... and I have yet to see any truly compelling stories about ultra-portables. AppleInsider had one a while back, but that's just one report, and they practically worship anything Shaw Wu says, so who knows if it's real.

Arn, what are the chances we will see an "ultra-portable" (or as I would like to guess, "slightly-more-portable") from Apple at MWSF?

-Clive

Seriously does anyone believe a thing these analysts believe? It would be interesting to see how often the analysts were right over the past 2 years. I'm betting Thinksecret or Joe Schmuckettelli have better track records.

vwDavid
Nov 30, 2007, 02:27 PM
a rumor based on a rumor! Great!

Cloudsurfer
Nov 30, 2007, 02:28 PM
2.2 ghz C2D
2gb ram
???Superdrive???
$1799

It can be done. See the Toshiba Portege R500.

krye
Nov 30, 2007, 02:30 PM
It seems like every 3 months the rumor mills fire up again on the long-fabled ultra-thin mac book mini/nano book.

Eventually someone's going to be right. Right?

Clive At Five
Nov 30, 2007, 02:30 PM
Seriously does anyone believe a thing these analysts believe? It would be interesting to see how often the analysts were right over the past 2 years. I'm betting Thinksecret or Joe Schmuckettelli have better track records.

Wonder no more. MacRumors has a guide (http://guides.macrumors.com/Category:Analysts) that tracks analyst accuracy. As you can see, Gene doesn't have a very good record. The only things he got right were things that were highly rumored at their respective times... such as the joining of other movie lables to iTunes... and that a touch-sensitive iPod would follow the iPhone.

Let the record show that this guy is a sham.

-Clive

headfuzz
Nov 30, 2007, 02:31 PM
While we are dreaming, lets add 2 quad Xeons to get an octal and run it at 3.6 GHZ, with a new power source where you just add water to recharge and only 1.7 lb for the weight.

Water recharge? Please.

It should charge itself using the moisture in the air. :p

sk8ordie
Nov 30, 2007, 02:31 PM
If its a 13" MacBook Pro with good battery life I would consider swiping the 'ol credit card ;)

deannnnn
Nov 30, 2007, 02:35 PM
Why would they release it AFTER the holidays?!

OdduWon
Does it make sense to assume that this will be a MB and not MBP? It says aluminum, but doesn't a MUP seem more likely to be in the non pro range? Or will there be two new additional sizes to both models? Nad flash to me suggests that the form factor will be very small, like iPhone. Could this create a competition between the Mac portables, with respect to cost/function?

sk8ordie
I'm assuming that the announcement is referring to a ultra-portable MB, not MBPro.

This would be dissapointing imo...

Oh well, nothing to do but sit around and wait....

*Refreshes macrumors constantly* :p

dubhe
Nov 30, 2007, 02:36 PM
Sorry if someone has already said this, I haven't read all the posts. But, wasn't there a rumor some time in the past when the new iPod classics came out that the next range of laptops would be the same colours and form, ie Black or Grey with curved edges? I hope so, one in Black please !!!

~~Hello~~
Nov 30, 2007, 02:39 PM

I used to have a laptop that was a brick and I managed t carry it to classes on a daily basis!

Build those muscles up!

Cloudsurfer
Nov 30, 2007, 02:43 PM
I used to have a laptop that was a brick and I managed t carry it to classes on a daily basis!

Build those muscles up!

It's not just the laptop. I have to carry books (heavy books) and other stuff to my class as well. It wuld be great if they reduced the weight from 2,5kg to around 1kg.

OdduWon

Like A "Mac Book fisbee"? lol, why carry it to class, when you can throw it ;)

TurboSC
holy crap a 13" black aluminum slim MBP would be sex.

Still a little iffy about the NAND, since it's still a fairly expensive affair, but if Apple can pull off at least 80GB NAND I'm sold. The battery life would be amazing, and a lot of external drives can be powered via USB, so any extra storage I could carry in my backpack. Why is January so far away :(

jnc
Nov 30, 2007, 02:47 PM
Everyone needs to stop hanging onto this "ultra portable" monicker. It's just gonna be a 13" MBP, and it'll be as thin and as light as can be allowed.

bj3949
Nov 30, 2007, 02:50 PM
will it be multi-touch screen like iPhone?
does anyone know?
one size?

Cloudsurfer
Nov 30, 2007, 02:52 PM
Like A "Mac Book fisbee"? lol, why carry it to class, when you can throw it ;)

Believe me, there's enough at my school that can fly already :rolleyes:

freddiecable
Nov 30, 2007, 02:55 PM
I was just about to say the same :D

I think there are quite many people looking for a 10-12" 50% lighter than MBP laptop as a second computer. I have a 24" iMac and a MBP...often when working I hook the MBP up to an external monitor anyway. But the MB is not small enough and slim enough - it's too close to the MBP.

I want one already.

farmboy
Nov 30, 2007, 02:56 PM

Why would anyone pay attention to THE STREET? A complete box of rocks from top to bottom. Their predictions are what you invest against. They're just predictably wrong. It wasn't too long ago that Jim Cramer appeared on TV and said to absolutely "sell Apple"---and Apple went on a three month long upward ride. Great minds at The Street.

Cinch
Nov 30, 2007, 03:01 PM
Why would they release it AFTER the holidays?!

There strategy is to have the year or months to built up brand recognition. From a marketing perspective this is a good strategy IMHO.

Cinch

CommodityFetish
Nov 30, 2007, 03:04 PM
Apple's pricing schemes are pretty consistent, so if this is a replacement for the 12" PB... that machine was priced from $1500 to 1800

Sounds about right to me.

immaculate
Nov 30, 2007, 03:08 PM
Well, I have a 12'' iBook, exactly 4 years old today (Happy Birthday!) and I was giving a lesson on creating PowerPoint presentations (yes, I know) and said I'd soon be getting rid of the aforementioned 12" iBook - and my student said, yes, I'll buy it now. As in, right now. So, erm, right, no-one wants 12" Mac notebooks. No market for that form factor at all. And that's a 4-year-old iBook - can you even begin to imagine the specs?

phoxrenvatio
Nov 30, 2007, 03:09 PM
people get so crabby about this.... everyone needs it to have the perfect specs to match what every single person needs....

too bad nobody needs the exact same thing, then apple could just come out with a single computer. or, everybody could stop complaining if one thing is not exactly what they wanted....

sblasl
Nov 30, 2007, 03:10 PM
Yawn:(

http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/thisweekineducation/upload/2007/07/happy_47th_anniversary_etch-a-/etch_a_sketch.jpg

krye
Nov 30, 2007, 03:21 PM
80G? Are you kidding?

NAND is way too expensive. That would add about $1000 to the ticket price. If this thing is NAND, don't expect anything bigger than 32G on the base unit with a 64G BTO. And the 64G is a stretch.

farmboy
Nov 30, 2007, 03:26 PM
"It's too expensive"
"This thing will never sell"
"It's too big"
"It's too small"
"What? No bluetooth?"
"What? No optical drive?"
"I can get a Dell for..."
"What? A mechanical keyboard?"
"What? A multi-touch keyboard?"
"I can't do Photoshop/Final Cut with THIS"
"It's completely useless unless..."
"Apple's being greedy"
"It's crippled! It only has....."
"The battery only lasts.....hours"
"Not enough RAM"
"You can get a terrabyte drive for only..."

Sigh. Have I missed any? I think most of the market for this small format Mac consists of posters to MacRumors. Has anybody REALLY succeeded with this type of unit? Maybe if it's something never seen before. It'll be interesting.

Lord Blackadder
Nov 30, 2007, 03:27 PM
Apple's subnotebooks have always been excellent (c.f. the Duo series and the 12" PB). If Apple builds it I will want one, though the near certain inclusion of an integrated GPU will be a drawback (though not a deal breaker in this segment).

Cloudsurfer
Nov 30, 2007, 03:29 PM
80G? Are you kidding?

NAND is way too expensive. That would add about $1000 to the ticket price. If this thing is NAND, don't expect anything bigger than 32G on the base unit with a 64G BTO. And the 64G is a stretch.

If this thing exsists and they're planning on using an SSD, it will most likely be a BTO.

HLdan
Nov 30, 2007, 03:33 PM

Oh stop frontin', you'll buy it any price. You'll just complain first like many and then go buy the damn thing, come to MR and post how much you love it. ;)
BTW SJ doesn't blow anything by the pricing, people like you still buy anyway.

ibn.
Nov 30, 2007, 03:35 PM
since 32gb is priced at around 500 and 64gb is around 1000. the next logical form would be 96gb and that'll cost about 1500. i don't think you'll see more that a 64gb option.

if NAND is an option, i'd like to see a dual HD configuration. that way the NAND drive would only hold the OS and essential programs for a faster boot time.

Brianstorm91
Nov 30, 2007, 03:41 PM
"It's too expensive"
List...

What about "not enough USB ports" and
"It's SO HOT!"

EagerDragon
Nov 30, 2007, 03:42 PM
I wonder why SJ doesn't announce such a beast if it exists pre Christmas? I'd have thought new goodies pre Christmas makes more sense than when everyone is trying to find the money to pay for their holiday excesses.

I know Mac World isn't run by Apple but even the organizers of MW should consider why they hold this event in january every year ... or am I missing some major reason why it has to be in January?

You kidding?
If they annonce it now lots of people wont purchase the current laptops and Apple would miss all expectations and have a lousy quarter.

irun5k
Nov 30, 2007, 03:44 PM
Leaving out the optical drive to save space is not a new trick. I wonder if it is as pivotal of an issue for me as it is for others though? I can personally deal with smaller hard drives, less RAM, less processor (to some extent), and a smaller screen- but for some reason the lack of an optical drive always makes me think the laptop will be less useful. However, perhaps I should reconsider given the age of USB keychains and so forth.

I think the biggest hit for me would be the ability to stick in a DVD and watch it. But then I ask myself, how often do I actually do that?

MrCrowbar
Nov 30, 2007, 03:45 PM
"It's too expensive"
"It's too big"
"It's too small"
"What? No bluetooth?"
"Apple's being greedy"
"Not enough RAM"

Sigh. Have I missed any? I think most of the market for this small format Mac consists of posters to MacRumors. Has anybody REALLY succeeded with this type of unit? Maybe if it's something never seen before. It'll be interesting.

Haha, that was priceless. I think it will just be a 12" Macbook Pro, no less, no more. Superdrive and normal 2.5" HDD. LED-backlighted display and no keyboard backlight. No expresscard slot. Spec wise a Macbook, just smaller and aluminum. Core 2 Duo Processor with low speed, one slot for RAM.

happydude
Nov 30, 2007, 03:47 PM
january could be expensive. ultraportable/subnotebook/slimmacbook/mactablet/iphoneXL . . . whathave you. i'm in the market for something like this. can't wait. wahtever it will be, will be cutting edge i'm sure and will be the new standard for products of its class, and while i generally avoid doing so, i'll more than likely be an early adopter. here's hoping for my $100 gift card . . .

:D:D:apple::D:apple::D:D

PCMacUser
Nov 30, 2007, 03:48 PM

That's funny. Rumour sites like this are the foundation for why he believes it's going to happen, and then it goes full circle and we use his prediction as further evidence for it!?

EagerDragon
Nov 30, 2007, 03:49 PM
I think I will wait for the ultra portable with the 30" fold out screen and the 7"X 3" form factor when closed.

MrCrowbar
Nov 30, 2007, 03:50 PM
Leaving out the optical drive to save space is not a new trick. I wonder if it is as pivotal of an issue for me as it is for others though? I can personally deal with smaller hard drives, less RAM, less processor (to some extent), and a smaller screen- but for some reason the lack of an optical drive always makes me think the laptop will be less useful. However, perhaps I should reconsider given the age of USB keychains and so forth.

I think the biggest hit for me would be the ability to stick in a DVD and watch it. But then I ask myself, how often do I actually do that?

Imagine an Apple Wireless Superdrive (Draft N)? Pop in a disc and it gets mounted on your Mac via Bonjour. After a quick pairing la bluetooth phone pairing you're good to go. I can picture a Mac Mini shaped, slot loaded burning station to put under an Airport Extreme or Mac Mini. Got a network printer? Now you got a network DVD drive. Also great: Wireless BlueRay/HDDVD drive: Watch high definition movies on every Mac via frontrow.

...damn I should patent this or something :)

NYCMacFan
Nov 30, 2007, 03:52 PM
Something like this would be even greater for traveling. But I wonder if this is same or different from a rumored tablet...

I assume this is a conventional laptop design but very light with no optical drive and potentially a solid state flash hard drive instead of a conventional disk based drive.

Is there a rumored tablet? I have always seen industry leaks and speculation about an ultraportable (and even patents that seem to look that way).

By contract, I feel like the majority of tablet rumors seem to come from board like this...

Here is one exception - friend of a friend at ASUS based on a 2005 patent filing - for what that is worth:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/06/apple-tablet-confirmed-by-asus/

I am not a tablet guy, but agree it would be a great addition to the Apple stable of products (the touch pad based keyboard on a ipod touch/iphone might work very well in a larger form factor). I also think that it would be like a secondary product for current Apple owners for meetings and the like (and so lead to an increase of sales rather than cannabalizing sales existing of laptops.

Brianstorm91
Nov 30, 2007, 03:55 PM
I've never been one for tablets in any shape or form.

kingtj
Nov 30, 2007, 03:59 PM
Sony already had a couple Vaio sub-notebook models that pretty much filled this niche, 2 or 3 years ago. Ultra-high resolution 12" or so LCD glossy screens with high-end P4 processors, etc. etc. They weren't cheap though (and obviously, were only suitable if you wanted a Windows machine). I believe they typically sold for around $3100 each.

If Apple can get the size of a Macbook to about the same thing Sony had with those Vaios, and sell in the $1800 and under price-range, I think they definitely have a "hit". The people who want their notebook to be as similar in specs and power to their desktop as possible will want to avoid it, though.

It's going to mainly be attractive to the people who value "slim, small and lightweight" over all else. (The 12" Powerbook never excited me, personally, for that same reason. Seemed too "wimpy" of a machine to me. Plus, as long as it's reasonably thin and light, I'd rather have a larger display. The lack of screen space for apps is a big penalty to suffer through, just to shave a couple more inches off the size of the thing.)

"It's too expensive"
"It's too big"
"It's too small"
"What? No bluetooth?"
"Apple's being greedy"
"Not enough RAM"

glennsan
Nov 30, 2007, 04:06 PM
I want one already.

I want 2 already! :)

Glennsan

Brianstorm91
Nov 30, 2007, 04:08 PM
I think the whole idea of it being in the "Pro" family is that it's not a consumer laptop, and no you probably won't be able to store your entire lossless music library and watch HD movies on it, because that's not what it's for. It's about portability and effectiveness at fulfilling its' task.

Bonte
Nov 30, 2007, 04:10 PM
I hope for a small tablet at a size that fits in with the new wireless keyboard, i think it would make a nice couple. a 10' ?

NYCMacFan
Nov 30, 2007, 04:12 PM
Here is my guess for what it is worth:

2.4 ghz C2D
2gb ram
64gb solid state drive
No optical drive
2.2 lbs
0.7 x 11.9 x 8.50 inches
$2499

PS. When picked up for the first time and handled, every complainer that wanted a 10 or 11 inch screen, will be the first to buy it...

PPS. on superdrives, (1) I NEVER use one, most people do not, (2) Apple likes to get rid of obsolete ports and devices before other company and (3) an external super drive that is sleek is pretty easy for them to do and just sell as an option.

Brianstorm91
Nov 30, 2007, 04:17 PM
Remember when they got rid of the 3 1/2" floppy :eek:

NYCMacFan
Nov 30, 2007, 04:24 PM
Remember when they got rid of the 3 1/2" floppy :eek:

Here are two links to portable HDD and DVD burners to see why they can be external or done away with:

On portable burners, here is a concept device that will blow your mind:
http://www.slipperybrick.com/2007/09/ultra-portable-dvd-player-concept/

They wouldn't use this, but gives you a sense of why external drives are no longer clunkers...

On portable harddrives:
-We will have 32 gig USB keys soon
-I got a 250gig Hard drive for under $200. Check this one out from WD super small, powered on USB, fairly stylish and ultraportable:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=317&language=en

(I'd hope more firms would take styling cues from Apple, but it takes time...)

OdduWon
Nov 30, 2007, 04:28 PM
Still a little iffy about the NAND, since it's still a fairly expensive affair, but if Apple can pull off at least 80GB NAND I'm sold.
Hmm, 64GB/32GB More likely.
The battery life would be amazing, and a lot of external drives can be powered via USB, so any extra storage I could carry in my backpack. Why is January so far away :(
:confused: Why would you need multiple EXT. Drives all powered at the same time? This is an "Ultra Portable" MB, not a mobile video editing machine. How long has apple let iPod/iPhone users even edit a calender "on the go"? Not likely MBUP will offer sufficient robustness for your "mobile" needs. More Likely to be a Variant of the iPhone OSX strain.
This raises questions, if not a full OSX, No full applications? "Compete" with widows mobile, this might.

I think I will wait for the ultra portable with the 30" fold out screen and the 7"X 3" form factor when closed.LOL, like an iMap.

DaBrain
Nov 30, 2007, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=sk8ordie;4562538]This would be dissapointing imo...

Oh well, nothing to do but sit around and wait....

Actually if they are selling as many MB's as they claim then this would make a lot of sense. Time will tell!;)

bugabuga
Nov 30, 2007, 04:40 PM
Semi-submerged drive would be nice :) Otherwise how do I watch rented DVDs on this thing?

You plug DVD/CD into the side, it goes in half-way (just past the hole), rolls for a minute or so while system copies the whole content into memory/hard drive and that's it :D

skellener
Nov 30, 2007, 04:44 PM
I've never been one for tablets in any shape or form. The animators here at our studio all use 21" Cintiqs. Everyone has different needs/tastes.

Brianstorm91
Nov 30, 2007, 04:45 PM
Semi-submerged drive would be nice :) Otherwise how do I watch rented DVDs on this thing?

You rent them off iTunes as of January 15th 2008 at 1.99 or something along those lines at a time!

Chrisireland
Nov 30, 2007, 04:50 PM

I bought one and was hoping they would make an Intel version. I think the 12" is sweet. Mine is getting long in the tooth so I'm hoping this rumor is true otherwise my only alternative would be a Macbook.

OdduWon
Nov 30, 2007, 04:57 PM
Semi-submerged drive would be nice :) Otherwise how do I watch rented DVDs on this thing? :D You plug DVD/CD into the side, it goes in half-way (just past the hole), rolls for a minute or so while system copies the whole content into memory/hard drive and that's it :D
SLICK;). It now "Slices and Dices"
What about using the rumored mini cd/dvd discs with adaptor? Could see an increase in capacity with mini discs as HD disc technologies advance, Apple tv... Ahah! Now you can download Content from iTMS to a "apple disc" that only plays in the new line of iPortables. The rumored adaptor could be used to view the content on other video disc players.

Nick12QB
Nov 30, 2007, 05:08 PM
why would this be a MacBook and not a MacBook Pro? Weren't the MB's just updated, and the Al design is MBP..

chicagostars
Nov 30, 2007, 05:13 PM

I'm still rocking a 12" PowerBook that catches the attention of way too many people who want something of this size. (Fits in a messenger pack with my gym clothes, sketchbook, and other crap.) It has enough power to handle a wide range of tasks. Final Cut will definitely choke it, but I've found it to have enough juice for Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash. The screen can be a bit of a pain at times, but connecting it to a 20" ACD at the home office works very well.

Brianstorm91
Nov 30, 2007, 05:16 PM
why would this be a MacBook and not a MacBook Pro? Weren't the MB's just updated, and the Al design is MBP..

.. It's going to be in the Pro variety.

unclepunk
Nov 30, 2007, 05:26 PM
Apple really missed the boat on this one :mad:

I waited for like two years for an ultra portable replacement for the 12" Powerbook. It never came and I broke down a few months ago and bought a Macbook Pro. It's great for home use, but it's way too heavy IMHO to really bring anywhere. For those that drive everywhere, bravo. You may not care too much. For those of us that rely on mass transit to get around and have to lug their laptop with them for a few hours a day, it's a little much.

I just picked myself up an Asus EEE in Galaxy Black. You wouldn't believe how small this puppy is. 2 lbs *WITH* battery. The charger? The size of a cell phone charger. I don't have to think twice about bringing this with me. I've replaced the built-in Xandros OS with an nlited Windows XP install. Works great.

Sorry Apple. Asus had me at 2 lbs...

CommodityFetish
Nov 30, 2007, 05:28 PM
For those who are talking about the expense of a flash memory HD...

I seem to recall that the idea is that you have flash memory in addition to your standard hard drive. The flash memory just contains the OS and key apps, so that you can boot quickly. My sense of it was it would be used as a chunk of fast virtual memory, not the whole HD.

(This would be one of the things you can add with the space saved from no optical drive.)

Correct me if I'm wrong... :)

CommodityFetish
Nov 30, 2007, 05:31 PM
In my last post I'm referencing Intel's Robeson technology for using flash on the chipset in this way. Not as the full harddrive, but something between it and ram. (like virtual memory? - that's how I was understanding it...)

thejadedmonkey
Nov 30, 2007, 05:35 PM
In order to accomplish this, we'll have to sacrifice a lot of power. That being said, I don't see how, at this point, we could give it any more complex of an OS than the iPhone and therefore, bmight just be dismissed as just "a big iPhone." Maybe that's what we need, but I'm assuming that people are going to want its capabilities to lie somewhere between the iPhone's and the MacBook's. If this is that case, I think we have a year or two to wait.

OS X made it's debut on a CPU that's about the same speed as the CPU in my non-iPhone. I don't follow your logic, I really don't.

I waited for like two years for an ultra portable replacement for the 12" Powerbook. It never came and I broke down a few months ago and bought a Macbook Pro. It's great for home use, but it's way too heavy IMHO to really bring anywhere. For those that drive everywhere, bravo. You may not care too much. For those of us that rely on mass transit to get around and have to lug their laptop with them for a few hours a day, it's a little much.

I just picked myself up an Asus EEE in Galaxy Black. You wouldn't believe how small this puppy is. 2 lbs *WITH* battery. The charger? The size of a cell phone charger. I don't have to think twice about bringing this with me. I've replaced the built-in Xandros OS with an nlited Windows XP install. Works great.

Sorry Apple. Asus had me at 2 lbs...

Wow... that's a brilliant idea. I should do that. there's no way Apple could make a laptop that cheap... now to find somewhere with one in stock...

nicovereecken
Nov 30, 2007, 06:12 PM
Therefore he can't draw any more of an 85% chance than any of us...

And mhhh ... how did they come up with this percentage in the first place? My bet would be on 84% :)

Cheers all & crossed fingers until Jan!

timmillwood
Nov 30, 2007, 06:15 PM
shall I get an Asus Eee PC or wait to see what Apple brings?

MattyMac
Nov 30, 2007, 06:44 PM
This would be better than great! I'd buy it immediately :D

grafikat
Nov 30, 2007, 06:55 PM
shall I get an Asus Eee PC or wait to see what Apple brings?

Why choose one over the other:
http://onlyumpc.com/news/mac-os-x-on-asus-r2h#more-394

I have been waiting for this for sooo long... Remember my mockup? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3732713&highlight=dream+for+a+long+time#post3732713)

timsutcliffe
Nov 30, 2007, 07:08 PM
This sounds like something to replace my 12" Powerbook, so I'm pleased it's now 85% likely. I expect i'll have to pay a lot of money for it though.

SRSound
Nov 30, 2007, 07:45 PM
Did anyone post this yet? This is what I'm hoping for (about the only thing I'd ever replace my 12" PB with)!!
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/srsound/medium_2066550916_425cfd32d5_o.jpg
Courtesy of Gizmodo's Apple Tablet Contest (entry by Thomas Palmer)

wilburpan
Nov 30, 2007, 07:47 PM
Water recharge? Please.

It should charge itself using the moisture in the air. :p

This feature obviously was alluded to in "The Incredibles" in the scene where Mr. Incredible and Frozone are in the burning house, and Frozone explains why he can't make ice.

Mr. Incredible: Can't you put this out?

Frozone: I can't lay down a layer thick enough! It's evaporating too fast!

Mr. Incredible: Well, what's that mean?

Frozone: It means it's hot! And I'm dehydrated, Bob!

Mr. Incredible: You're out of ice? You can't run out of ice! I thought you can use water in the air!

Frozone: There is no water in this air! What's your excuse, run out of muscle?

ckurowic
Nov 30, 2007, 08:50 PM
Why is everyone so damned interested in a sub-note book? This equals less power, less capability, less EVERYTHING than the current line. I can see how maybe a few people might need them, but honestly. Are you all such wusses that you need a sub 2 pound note book? Come on, give me a break. I still use a iBook G4, and it doesn't break my back. I just don't understand how anyone thinks no optical drive is cool. Whatever. Theres always someone out there that'll buy anything. I mean, some people still buy Chevy's.

First of all: I don't care if i'm wrong.

Second: where the heck do you people get 85% probability. Show me your math calculations. Please. Oh, what? There are none? You are all going on hearsay? Oh thats right. Lame. Very lame.

Everyone needs to stop hanging onto this "ultra portable" monicker. It's just gonna be a 13" MBP, and it'll be as thin and as light as can be allowed.

THANK YOU!!!!

HLdan
Nov 30, 2007, 08:52 PM
I

It's in January because it's the annual electronics event month for everyone. CES in Vegas is usually the first week in January followed by Macworld.

Loudwater
Nov 30, 2007, 08:54 PM
50% lighter?! WOW I'd be very impressed...

Digital Skunk
Nov 30, 2007, 09:20 PM
Did anyone post this yet? This is what I'm hoping for (about the only thing I'd ever replace my 12" PB with)!!
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/srsound/medium_2066550916_425cfd32d5_o.jpg

I would first barf, then i would cry, then i would be very upset if Apple gave us this terrible design. That's why I am glad that it would never come out. :D

Seriously though I doubt that Apple would take the back of the iPod Touch and stretch it out to fit a larger screen, then at the very last minute at a QWERTY keyboard that was only touch. That's like the college student that does their paper at the last minute, it's always rushed, and very very tacky.

And Apple is not tacky, and certainly doesn't rush anything.

rockthecasbah
Nov 30, 2007, 10:25 PM
If this were true and there would be a large enough storage capacity for files and so forth I would buy this in an instant. I want an ultra-portable to release so badly, especially because I'll be in the market come late spring/summer with for college!

MacinDoc
Nov 30, 2007, 11:06 PM
Not much new to see here. Who cares if an analyst is predicting a subnotebook based on the number of rumors there are about it, with no independent corroborating information?

Give me a rumor with some real meat to it.

Analog Kid
Nov 30, 2007, 11:33 PM
This is what happens when you get too much gain in a feedback loop... The rumor sites report that the analysis say there's going to be a product, then the analysts say that the rumor sites are reporting there's going to be a product. Then that gets fed back to the rumor sites, which gets read by the analysts...

This guy is at least up front about his sources-- hopefully that will help everyone keep this in perspective.

AidenShaw
Nov 30, 2007, 11:33 PM

*cough* Leopard *cough*

SRSound
Dec 1, 2007, 01:18 AM
I would first barf, then i would cry, then i would be very upset if Apple gave us this terrible design. That's why I am glad that it would never come out. :D

:(;) Actually, truth be told, I wouldnt be surprised for a second if the design incorporated the new black/silver look of the iPod touch/iphone/imac. It seems to be the new design direction (the new white)

iW00t
Dec 1, 2007, 01:29 AM

You made this assertion based on...?

TheScavenger
Dec 1, 2007, 01:52 AM
Why is everyone so damned interested in a sub-note book? This equals less power, less capability, less EVERYTHING than the current line. I can see how maybe a few people might need them, but honestly. Are you all such wusses that you need a sub 2 pound note book? Come on, give me a break. I still use a iBook G4, and it doesn't break my back. I just don't understand how anyone thinks no optical drive is cool. Whatever. Theres always someone out there that'll buy anything. I mean, some people still buy Chevy's.

I can understand why a sub-notebook might not be right for you. On the other hand, some people have legitimate reasons for having/wanting one. For instance, I never JUST carry my powerbook anywhere. I usually have school books, school supplies, lunch/dinner and my powerbook. I may be a weak, little boy in your mind because of it but all of that weight starts to add up when you have to walk or ride your bike everywhere.

Josh

dubhe
Dec 1, 2007, 04:07 AM

Good point, it would feel wrong not having an optical drive, but actually, I have used it like maybe 10 times in the past year... I'm sure there'll be an ultra-portable usb optical drive in matching aluminum and form factor available though, for an extra 250...

Digitalclips
Dec 1, 2007, 06:05 AM
You kidding?
If they annonce it now lots of people wont purchase the current laptops and Apple would miss all expectations and have a lousy quarter.

I obviously meant (I thought) 'announce' AND 'release'... not just announce. So to reiterate, more clearly for you and any others who missed my point...

IF there were such a thing ... this close ... why not announce AND release pre Christmas.

Then I added, the same is true of Mac World in general... I wondered why historically it has always been held just after Christmas. I have shown many new products there from my software company and know many companies launch their products there too. MW was always the main Apple product event in the entire year. My point is it would always have been so much better in early December from a sales point of view. Many business folks as well as private individuals justify a purchase this time of year as a 'little or big treat'.

Roller
Dec 1, 2007, 06:14 AM

A virtual keyboard makes sense for a device the size of the iPhone. I don't think that it would work well in a larger tablet like this, though, partly because it uses so much of the screen.

Roller
Dec 1, 2007, 06:28 AM

Well, I guess you're not in the target market. But there are a lot of business people and others who find it a pain (literally) to walk around with a 6 lb. laptop plus another pound or two of accessories and other stuff slung over their shoulder all day. An ultraportable would let me edit and run presentations, create documents, and use email on the go and would be incredibly useful to me, as long as battery life were sufficiently long.

Yeah, the lack of an optical drive seems odd at first. But when I consider how often I actually use the one on my PowerBook, it makes more sense. I can live with doing OS upgrades using an external drive and with using a flash device for backups.

Balooba
Dec 1, 2007, 07:46 AM
Hardware:
Mac OS X 10.5, full version
11.1" Display LED
60-120GB 1.8" HDD
USB ports
Mini-DVI out
802.11n
Bluetooth
(no Firewire optical drive, ethernet port)
Full keyboard, maybe a little trackpad if there is room for it.
Touch screen like the iPhone.

Features:

Display can be opened 360 so the laptop becomes a tablet
In tablet mode the screen can rotate 90 when the computer is tilted, just like the iPhone. Useful for reading, web browsing and writing.
Ability to display on-screen keyboard.
External keyboard and mouse can be used, bluetooth or USB.

Synchronizing software to keep a standard mac synced.
Ability to tap into the EDGE (or 3G) networks when paired with an iPhone

egsaxy
Dec 1, 2007, 08:40 AM
woot too bad it will cost 2x the 15 inch macbook pro too.

jnc
Dec 1, 2007, 09:01 AM
Haha, seriously you guys. Quit it with the "giant iPhone" pipedreaming.

CommanderData
Dec 1, 2007, 09:40 AM
I have been lurking here for the past few years and bit my tongue during the first round of ultraportable comments here on MacRumors. I decided I needed to register to get into the fray here. Here goes, my first post... and it's a long one...

First- who wants an ultraportable Mac? Many people! My laptop history:
IBM ThinkPad 701C (Butterfly keyboard)
Toshiba 320CT
IBM X23, X24, and X31
Toshiba M200
Fujitsu P1610

12 years of carrying laptops on the road. What do all of these have in common? A screen from 8.9" to 12" diagonal, and NO optical drive. My current laptop, the P1610 has been upgraded by me to use a 32GB SSD, and the speed/battery life boost was well worth the $500 extra dollars I paid at the time.

Regarding SSDs:
I'm sure Apple has a bit of leverage in the NAND market, and will get their SSDs for less than the average Joe can pick one up on Newegg.com. Not that they will pass the savings along to us. Expect a low end model to have a standard 1.8" 80/160GB iPod hard drive. Anyone looking for performance will skip this and take an SSD.

Regarding Touch/Multi-Touch:
Apple will not bring out a touch screen of any kind on the ultaportable. OSX user interface elements will be too small to interact with using a finger on a screen 13.3" or smaller. Small possibility that they could incorporate a Wacom digitizer and pen, but the odds of that are so remote that they're not worth considering.

Regarding Specs:
13.3" is not a true "ultraportable" in my book, or anyone else who has used true ultraportables (see Dynamism.com for good examples, or the Fujitsu P1610). If that screen size rumored is correct this should fall into the "Thin and Light" category. An ultraportable should not only be 3lbs or less, the screen should be 12" or less diagonally. Finally, smaller laptops are not specifically excluded from having dedicated graphics (Look up notebooks from LG for examples of small laptops with GeForce integrated).

Assumptions if the screen is 13.3"
-------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo processor at 2.0 to 2.4GHz
Up to 4GB of RAM
GeForce dedicated graphics with 128MB SDRAM
Screen resolution probably 1280x800, small chance of 1440x900.

Assumptions if the screen is 11.1" to 12.1"
----------------------------------------------
ULV Core 2 Duo processor at 1.2 to 1.6GHz
Up to 2GB of RAM
Previous generation GeForce dedicated with 64-128MB SDRAM
Screen resolution probably 1280x800, small chance of 1366x768 (11.1" screen from Sony TZ series).

The Other specs
------------------
Gigabit Ethernet
802.11n Wifi
Bluetooth
2MP iSight Camera
2 USB Ports
1 Firewire 800
HDMI video output (with DVI conversion adaptor)
OSX Leopard
External optical drive (possibly bundled, likely purchase separately)

Regarding Price:
Apple is not known for low price, but for high quality at an average or slightly high price. Do not expect an "ultraportable" to cost $999, no matter what company produces it. My educated guesstimates from past experience would be as follows:

Mac Ultraportable with 80GB 1.8" standard HDD, 1GB of RAM --- $1699
Mac Ultraportable with 32GB SSD, 2GB of RAM ---------------- $1999
Mac Ultraportable with 64GB SSD, 4GB of RAM ---------------- $2999

If we are lucky they will throw in a USB powered external SuperDrive (clad in aluminum as well). Otherwise expect that to be $299 extra.

OK, the show's over now. I use Windows based laptops for work/travel and an iMac at home. I want to switch over completely (and use Parallels / VMWare Fusion for work). Almost did when the MacBook line came out, but it's size/weight/plasic turned me off. This rumored upcoming model should be just about right. I'll buy one even if the screen is 13.3", but will probably buy a round for the entire office if they make it 12" or smaller! :)

Cloudsurfer
Dec 1, 2007, 09:41 AM
Hardware:
Mac OS X 10.5, full version
11.1" Display LED
60-120GB 1.8" HDD
USB ports
Mini-DVI out
802.11n
Bluetooth
(no Firewire optical drive, ethernet port)
Full keyboard, maybe a little trackpad if there is room for it.
Touch screen like the iPhone.

Features:

Display can be opened 360 so the laptop becomes a tablet
In tablet mode the screen can rotate 90 when the computer is tilted, just like the iPhone. Useful for reading, web browsing and writing.
Ability to display on-screen keyboard.
External keyboard and mouse can be used, bluetooth or USB.

Synchronizing software to keep a standard mac synced.
Ability to tap into the EDGE (or 3G) networks when paired with an iPhone

That's not a computer... that's a wannabe PDA.

CaptainCaveMann
Dec 1, 2007, 09:45 AM
A 13inch macbook pro? Sold.

timmillwood
Dec 1, 2007, 12:05 PM
Do not expect an "ultraportable" to cost $999, no matter what company produces it.

What about Asus Eee PC, thats $399 and is great!

If I could get an Apple branded one with OSX I would buy it today!

That's not a computer... that's a wannabe PDA.
Thats exactly what I want. I want an iMac at home for web development and work, and somthing with a proper screen, min 800x480 res screen and wi-fi for web browsing, calender, notes, odd bit of coding when on the move or just pottering around the house.

I really want an Asus Eee PC and you can tell (look at sig) but i think i should wait to see what apple brings, it may be worth double the money to just have a glowing Apple on the lid and OSX.

BWhaler
Dec 1, 2007, 12:08 PM

How is that even possible? You do understand Apple hasn't released anything and this rumor has been around for two years.

*cough* Leopard *cough*

I hate to say it, but it's totally true.

Spaces is an absolute train wreck.

CommanderData
Dec 1, 2007, 12:53 PM
What about Asus Eee PC, thats $399 and is great!

If I could get an Apple branded one with OSX I would buy it today!

Thats exactly what I want. I want an iMac at home for web development and work, and somthing with a proper screen, min 800x480 res screen and wi-fi for web browsing, calender, notes, odd bit of coding when on the move or just pottering around the house.

I really want an Asus Eee PC and you can tell (look at sig) but i think i should wait to see what apple brings, it may be worth double the money to just have a glowing Apple on the lid and OSX.

The Asus Eee is a 900Mhz Celeron (single core, limited cache) processor, 512MB of RAM, 7" 800x600 screen, 4GB SDD. There is absolutely no comparison in specs. The device I described will have 4 to 5 times more processor horsepower, up to 8x the RAM, up to 16x larger SSD, almost 4x the screen surface area and resolution. This is a good approximation of what to expect in January, and with all those multipliers I listed alone you can see how the Apple ultraportable (if/when it is unveiled) will easily cost 5 times the Asus. This is not taking into account extras like dedicated graphics, aluminum casing, and so on.

Despite that, I can agree with you that there is a market for a smaller screen, lesser capable device (like the tablet concept floated here). Some would argue that the iPhone or iPod Touch are that device already. Either of those can beat out the Asus Eee PC in almost every spec already except screen size and resolution. An iPod Touch-like tablet with 6"-8" screen sounds like what you're interested in. Come to think of it, I'd probably buy one of those too :)

Clive At Five
Dec 1, 2007, 12:54 PM
OS X made it's debut on a CPU that's about the same speed as the CPU in my non-iPhone. I don't follow your logic, I really don't.

A. Don't trick yourself (or anyone else here) into thinking the CPU in the iPhone is comparable in any way to a desktop-class (or even laptop-class) Core 2 Duo. It (and ARMs/SOCs like it) are designed to uni-task: they don't handle a wide range of computing tasks well. And remember the Megahertz Myth: Equal clock speed does not mean equal power.

B. Don't trick yourself (or anyone else here) into thinking the "OS X" in the iPhone is comparable in any way to the desktop-class OS X. They may share certain APIs, kernel, and processing layers, but the OS X in the iPhone is missing so many of the components that make the full version desktop-ready.

As ARMs and SOCs become more advanced they'll be able to take on more of the full requirements of OS X. The iPhone's small size really limits what what it can do. While I do think there will be some minor hardware enhancements (faster connection speeds & bigger capacity), I believe this is about as good as the iPhone OS will get.

As for a tablet with a bigger screen, there's more room to manipulate and maneuver. Tablets could become a very powerful computing tool with time, though it'll still be limited to the tasks that take up less space than that of a sheet of paper - limited Photoshop, limited gaming, limited movie-editing - but could prosper very well at other tasks - word processing, web browsing, Excel sheets, iPhoto browsing, casual gaming, movie watching, etc.

-Clive

happydude
Dec 1, 2007, 01:48 PM

how is spaces a train wreck? i use it all the time with no problems and find it ridiculously useful when putting together manuals requiring screen shots (an unfortunately tedious and boring part of my job). at any rate, space for me is a life saver and would be amazing to have a 12" laptop with spaces to allow me to continue my work on the road (right now working on 24" imac).

MrCrowbar
Dec 1, 2007, 01:55 PM

Huh? Elaborate?

regan
Dec 1, 2007, 02:33 PM
Why is it that soon as some rumor mentions Apple releasing an "ultra portable" everyone writes about a "tablet pc"???

First of all, I don't think it's everyone, perhaps just the same handful of techno geeks(no offense) writing those posts.

And second of all...WHO needs a friggin tablet??? When was the last time you EVER saw a person walking around with a tablet? I bet NEVER.

Seriously. Tablets don't have full keyboards. They are gimmicks at best.

People WANT to be able to TYPE on a keyboard and look at a screen. If Apple gets rid of the optical drive and thins the laptop to a ridiculous degree that should satisfy those that want ultra portability. For those that want even smaller...get an iphone or ipod touch. Really.

Of course NO ONE knows what Apple will release or if they will release ANYTHING close to the rumor. Heck...maybe they will release a tablet some time down the road. The iphone and ipod touch are kinda tablet like. But at least those fit in your pocket. I just don't see the need or desire for a tablet.

Ultra portable laptop yes...tablet no. But thats just me.

I'm in the market for a new apple laptop. I can wait to see what happens in January at Macworld. I like the portability of the macbook alot...but would prefer a dedicated graphics card. If Apple does release an ultra portable, I am sure it will be thinner and lighter...but it may be even LESS powerful than even the macbook. For me, I want portability since I travel alot, but I also want alittle power too. Right now the macbook is it. So I'd probably choose that over the ultra portable since the difference in weight and size shouldn't be too great. I do hope that the macbook does get a dedicated graphics card tho.

An ultra portable will obviously have a much smaller HD if they use a flash drive. I think the technology is super cool. But to have a laptop with a 64 meg HD would kinda suck...even with instant boot times. It'll be the first step toward the future and you KNOW Apple will make it drool worthy...but it just wouldn't be practical for me. Heck...If I'm gonna just use an ultra portable to check email...I'll just carry my iphone or ipod touch in my pocket. You see what I mean?

For those wanting a full mac os on an ultra portable...keep in mind for the smaller size, you'll have no optical drive, no ability to play dvds or cds on the road, plus a way smaller flash drive(maybe only 64 megs!!) and not alot of power to work on anything much more than emails and light light work.

Maybe it'd be cool and worth it for some. But I think the majority of people won't mind carrying a macbook in their backpacks.

Just my opinion. Can't wait till January. :-)

Brianstorm91
Dec 1, 2007, 03:54 PM
64 meg HD

I think you mean 64GB

Digital Skunk
Dec 1, 2007, 04:00 PM
Honestly... I have seen three people using tablets. I can't say that they love them or not, but they do use them, and much of the features tablets offer.

I should say convertable notebooks, not tablets. Those machines have the very useful and practical keyboard and trackpad. The illustrator I know uses his to draw directly onto his screen.

I think there is a need for both machines, a convertable notebook that can flip its screen around and become a tablet. Not an ordinary tablet though. I don't think many people want an over sized iPhone.

aswitcher
Dec 1, 2007, 04:09 PM
I really hope this machines entry level options aren't too much more expensive than the entry level 15" MBP...but I suppose I am dreaming

minutePulsation
Dec 1, 2007, 04:16 PM
http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/11/12654/

timmillwood
Dec 1, 2007, 04:17 PM
Apple please dont give me a Tablet.

Also there is no need for a high power ultra portable, what are you going to do on an ultra portable that needs the power?

PP133
Dec 1, 2007, 04:19 PM
So are they supposedly just releasing a new ultraportable or are they re-doing their whole MBP line?

elcid
Dec 1, 2007, 05:43 PM
So now we have Mac Pro redos and Ultraportable Macs. Would they drastically change two lines in one keynote?

I guess they did with the iPod line, but that was only one line.

Digital Skunk
Dec 1, 2007, 07:13 PM
Apple please dont give me a Tablet.

Also there is no need for a high power ultra portable, what are you going to do on an ultra portable that needs the power?

Right. Who wants an 11.1" notebook to use Photoshop on that has a battery life of 4 hours at best? It needs to be a long lasting portable beast. Something that can really be unplugged for at least 8 hours straight.

???

Paragraphs please.... seriously. There is no way I can read this post becasue it hurts my eyes and I get lost in a sea or words. It looks interesting, but it's just too hard to read without paragraphs and direction. I will check out the links though.

John Musbach
Dec 1, 2007, 07:29 PM

Sounds cool to me, only thing I'd still like to know is the expected price and processor speed range

xpisnotforme
Dec 1, 2007, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=regan;4565792]Why is it that soon as some rumor mentions Apple releasing an "ultra portable" everyone writes about a "tablet pc"???

I've been thinking the same thing and stunned as to how they are always in discussons together. Maybe 2 dudes made up both rumors about 2 years ago and just keep popping in discussion boards after they reinject their 'rumors':)

ClassicMac247
Dec 1, 2007, 10:03 PM
AHHHHHH!!!! All this macworld hype has me so psyched!!! New macbooks are fine as long as they dont replace the current ones!:eek: :apple:

Rock On

bluedoggiant
Dec 1, 2007, 11:44 PM
So are they supposedly just releasing a new ultraportable or are they re-doing their whole MBP line?

i bet you they are doing both, big revision to the MB, and either an update to the MBP, which is likely, but what gets me, is that the MBP hasnt had a major revision in a while, so you would expect that, but if you think about it, the MBP seems pretty well darn perfect, i have the 15 inch MBP 2gb ram, 2.16GHZ

Towhead
Dec 2, 2007, 02:30 AM
Oooooh, a giant iPhone with a dock, maybe an optional slide-out keyboard or screen chiklets. Ooooh oooh ohhhhhhhh splat! splat! splat! splat!

MacPhilosopher
Dec 2, 2007, 02:51 AM

I bought one. Still using it daily. Even use it to edit video on the newest version of FCP Studio. Best laptop they ever made. To bad you didn't buy one, then you would appreciate its value. Runs Leopard fine, too. Apple will have to impress me with something pretty awesome to make me let this one go. The MacBook just didn't cut it.

Jackou
Dec 2, 2007, 04:56 AM
Now why would the ultra-portable mb keep a keyboard if it's got touch screen just like the iPhone?! To waste some space??
Come on if you take the keyboard off you'll get an apple all in one and not all in... two, wich sounds quite imposing....
Tink about it: keyboard or touchscreen make your choice(the iPhone hasn't got a keyboard lol)

crispymacuser
Dec 2, 2007, 05:37 AM
would these be too small for optical drives cus im gunna buy a macbook soon and i don't want to carry around a cd/dvd burner, as im sure that no other university student/student will want to/be able to do this..

zinneken
Dec 2, 2007, 06:57 AM

-Clive

NONE, no chance at all that this product gets released. It is not because Intel releases a motherboard that could become one that apple will use it in its production. Get real people, stop dreaming. An ultra portable from Apple will not happen. Scrapyard these rumors! We've heard them for 3 years now ... Bluntly dissappointing. For technology to allow full/broad market production this one you need to wait at least another 2 years (cooling, battery, reliable flash drives, etc.)

Brianstorm91
Dec 2, 2007, 07:44 AM
Get real people, stop dreaming. An ultra portable from Apple will not happen. Scrapyard these rumors! We've heard them for 3 years now ... Bluntly dissappointing. For technology to allow full/broad market production this one you need to wait at least another 2 years (cooling, battery, reliable flash drives, etc.)

That's weird, I could have sworn they'd made a fully-functional, portable laptop (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/04/01/apple_12in_powerbook_g4/) a while back...

Dec 2, 2007, 08:07 AM
Huh? Elaborate?

It's as elaborate and accurate as most anti-Apple comments by Aiden Shaw, so don't be surprised...:rolleyes:

MatthewCobb
Dec 2, 2007, 08:16 AM
Bring on the elevator shots! :D

And yes I would buy one. Whatever it's like.

mirffy
Dec 2, 2007, 08:54 AM
Why is it that soon as some rumor mentions Apple releasing an "ultra portable" everyone writes about a "tablet pc"???

First of all, I don't think it's everyone, perhaps just the same handful of techno geeks(no offense) writing those posts.

And second of all...WHO needs a friggin tablet??? When was the last time you EVER saw a person walking around with a tablet? I bet NEVER.

Seriously. Tablets don't have full keyboards. They are gimmicks at best.

People WANT to be able to TYPE on a keyboard and look at a screen. If Apple gets rid of the optical drive and thins the laptop to a ridiculous degree that should satisfy those that want ultra portability. For those that want even smaller...get an iphone or ipod touch. Really.
THANK YOU!!
Finally somebody that's of my oppinion too ;) Frankly, I'm getting sick of people rumoring about the "tablet that nobody needs"

Get me a new "ultra"-portable 11" or 12" laptop (WITH a keyboard, seeing as touch-typing is much faster and readable compared to handwriting) and I'm sold ;)

EagerDragon
Dec 2, 2007, 09:10 AM
Ok I hope what ever it is coming out in Jan, that it will be a very exciting product.

louden
Dec 2, 2007, 09:10 AM
I know people always talk about buying something when you need it - and nobody really needs one of these anytime soon. While I'd pay the typical Apple premium for a Pro-style, slim, 12" laptop/tablet (like that intel reference laptop) - I'd think I could easily wait until the price for SSD drives comes down a bit. The premium for one of these drives in a laptop is a bit too high right now. I couldn't see spending an extra 800 on an SSD drive equiped model...

I'll stick with my MBP for until the next generation...

mac1civ
Dec 2, 2007, 09:30 AM
This would be good timing for me .....if it actually happens.

timmillwood
Dec 2, 2007, 10:38 AM
THANK YOU!!
Finally somebody that's of my oppinion too ;) Frankly, I'm getting sick of people rumoring about the "tablet that nobody needs"

Get me a new "ultra"-portable 11" or 12" laptop (WITH a keyboard, seeing as touch-typing is much faster and readable compared to handwriting) and I'm sold ;)

I agree but I would rather 10" 1024x168 display, just that little bit more portable still with a good resolution.

But a keyboard is a must, a touch screen is useless and make it too expensive.

DaftUnion
Dec 2, 2007, 12:41 PM
Here's hoping. Then again, I'm not a huge laptop person so the desktop updates appeal to me more...

Manic Mouse
Dec 2, 2007, 04:52 PM
I suppose they could use the 1.8" iPod drives in it to reduce size. Maybe eliminate the CD drive or make it a USB one. Then it would be thin and light!

Brianstorm91
Dec 2, 2007, 05:05 PM
I suppose they could use the 1.8" iPod drives in it to reduce size.

That sounds quite plausible.

bdj21ya
Dec 2, 2007, 06:42 PM
This would be awesome. I'm really hoping for some sort of remote computing touch based tablet though.

Thertel88
Dec 2, 2007, 06:49 PM
Im sorry that this has absolutley nothing to do with this but I wanted to ask you guys before I call Apple.

This message keeps coming up when I start up my computer, before anything even comes up.

You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button.

I tried about 50 times and it keeps coming up.

Any help?

EstorilM
Dec 2, 2007, 08:08 PM
That sounds quite plausible.

..and quite slow.

Like the person who mentioned the iphone processor - the data read/write rates of the ipod hard drives are designed around the most data-intensive task that the ipod would ever create. This would be a VERY low resolution video file (a BIG HD size video file is a few mbps TOPS.)

New desktop SATA drives are "rated" at 3gbps in theory, and even SLOW EIDE drives get 60mbps in real world data rate tests.

Most data it used in bursts these days, and Apple would be able to solve this issue by writing bursts of data to say.. 4-8bg of flash data, then slowly transfer this over to the "ipod" hard drive.

This wouldn't help you with LOADING data however, which would be extremely slow. They could develop a large-scale cache system using the same 4-8bg of flash memory for loading files, but this would still require "learning" your normal programs, and wouldn't be an exact science.

Keep in mind that they have HUGE supplies and price cuts for flash and micro HDD memory through their ipod markets, so if there was a way that they could take advantage of this, I'm sure they'd like to.

As far as a new design goes - you could just take the iphone's approach to the laptop world. Instead of the old school clamshell style computer, you could just have a giant, beautiful, touch screen laptop. Don't confuse this with a tablet - combined with a nice "touch" version of OS X leopard, you could have a keyboard pop up on the bottom of the screen when you need it. Hell, you could even use a small overlay area for the touch pad and buttons! They've already patented the touch technology used in the iphone/ipod touch, why not take it a step further? Cover it in the same optical-quality glass material, use a strong aluminum frame, and you've got one BADASS computer.
You could even have a fold-out aluminum cover that latches over the screen like a normal laptop (however, it simply opens up 180 degrees and folds flush with the BOTTOM of the case when it's in use.)

WHYYYYYY doesn't this computer exist? LED backlight, high resolution.. ugh, do it apple!

Think of a FULL SIZE iphone screen - how beautiful would that be? Besides, you could play around with it like the guys in Minority Report - grab ahold of applications, toss them away, flick to resize windows, etc etc etc.

Ok, I've gotta stop thinking about this before I start writing a letter to their R&D department.

MattInOz
Dec 2, 2007, 09:53 PM
..and quite slow.

Most data it used in bursts these days, and Apple would be able to solve this issue by writing bursts of data to say.. 4-8bg of flash data, then slowly transfer this over to the "ipod" hard drive.

This wouldn't help you with LOADING data however, which would be extremely slow. They could develop a large-scale cache system using the same 4-8bg of flash memory for loading files, but this would still require "learning" your normal programs, and wouldn't be an exact science.

Keep in mind that they have HUGE supplies and price cuts for flash and micro HDD memory through their ipod markets, so if there was a way that they could take advantage of this, I'm sure they'd like to.

Why develop a new caching scheme, when they have just released a very well suited one in there latest OS?

Doesn't time machine do exactly this.
Well it lets the user choose what is on the Main Flash disk, and what is on the Time machine archive of old files.

Westsider 4 Mac
Dec 2, 2007, 09:53 PM
sure that the next Mac laptop will learn the lessons from the iphone...I hope! I travel quite a bit with a 17 inch MBP and I would love to have a ultraportable that has close to everything currently in the my 17 inch MBP...asking a lot I know...:D

MattInOz
Dec 2, 2007, 10:00 PM
I think we are going to see two completely different devices at Macworld.
A new Ultra MacBookPro in the 12" range as part of the renovation of the whole MBP line.

And a Mac/iPod crossover device which might be a 7" range tablet.

There are too many conflicting details for them all to be about one device.
Also time seem about right for both.

MacAddict1978
Dec 2, 2007, 10:30 PM
No one has every done a good job of a really portable tablet, but it wouldn't be hard.

An ultra portable lap top with a detachable screen. When detached, the screen could run i-phone like mac osx with more limited features: calendar, notes, wi-fi, web surfing, photos, etc. like the iphone does now with its own independent processor and flash drive built into it.

When attached to the base, it switches to use the laptops hard drive and software and syncs.

The only obstacle I can see with this is that the head would need its own battery and it's main drain would powering the display, and who would really want to carry around a 12 inch sized screen with them? I remember Sony having some really small 9" laptops in the past. I couldn't ever work on something that small a lot, but as an extension to my desktop I think I could deal.

Clancycoop
Dec 3, 2007, 03:49 AM
I believe that the MBPs will be completely redone. Why do I think this? Everyone seems to think that just because they have done so well sales-wise that Apple would never ruin a good thing.

Steve Jobs, when introducing the iPod Mini, said (and I'm paraphrasing) "The iPod Mini has been the most popular iPod ever, and so were going to replace it." Here's a link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7GRv-kv5XEg

Apple isn't afraid of replacing popular products. That's why I think that all of these rumors have been rooted in peeks at what will be the new Macbook Pros.

Apple isn't going to make some frankenstien's monster laptop/tablet/with detachable screen and no keyboard, so that people can carry around a magazine sized glorified etch-a-sketch that few people will buy.

Apple makes products that everyone wants, not niche offshoots of needed technology. Maybe I have my head in the sand, but while attending my university, going to the airport, at work, or anywhere else you might see computers being used, I have NEVER SEEN ANYONE USING A TABLET.

Go ahead tablet lovers, lay it on me. Tell me how really tablets are the best thing ever and how in fact I am just ignorant of the tablet community, merrily drawing away on their computers.:)

Everyone needs to remember that "ultra-portable" has no universal definition.

I would challenge anyone to reply to this and say, in these exact words:"I disagree, I don't think that Apple would change the Macbook Pros. They are going to continue to sell them with their 2 year old looks, with updated speeds and memory, unlike the iMac, iPod Classic, Nano and Shuffle."

All in good fun of course. I am just curious if anyone believes that. I am not here to call anyone silly for wishing for a tablet, as I'm sure there are a couple of you out there. Let's all be realistic. Can you really see Steve at Macworld saying "Oh, and one more thing... the new iReally-big-iphone-type-thing-that-you-can't-fit-in-your-pocket".

Soapboxer, signing out. Please don't take my sarcastic comments serious. I just know that someone is going to reply and say "No, it will have a catchier, shorter name! Tablet or die!"

MrCrowbar
Dec 3, 2007, 08:27 AM
Im sorry that this has absolutley nothing to do with this but I wanted to ask you guys before I call Apple.

This message keeps coming up when I start up my computer, before anything even comes up.

You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button.

I tried about 50 times and it keeps coming up.

Any help?

That's the Mac OSX kernel panic, similar to Windows' blue screen of death:
http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/showcase/data/57/Kernel_Panic-1p0f.png

Power off Mac.
Disconnect power (unplug power cord, remove battery).
Hold Power button down for 10 or more seconds
reconnect power (insert battery, connect power cord)
Power up Mac.
Before the boot chime sounds, press and hold COMMAND+OPTION+P+R. If you do it right the Mac will reboot.

If none of that helps, read this: http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/kernelpanics.html
Or go see an Apple Genius or Contact Apple. Might be a failed Hard Drive.

Claytoniss
Dec 3, 2007, 09:23 AM
If this rumor is true, these would be sexy!

Jackou
Dec 3, 2007, 11:51 AM
are we talking about a mb or more a mbp??? Cause what would be plosible is the "ultra" portable mb to be the macbook update....
With just the dvd burner off and...Some new normal specs: memory, speed etc...
That way the macbook could be more affordable for students, like me, and lighter(smaller) cause WE take it everywhere :p
It's been a while since the iBook

EmDizzle
Dec 3, 2007, 12:47 PM
Why would they unveil a completely new product when they will most likely be revamping the entire notebook line this spring/summer? Here's the scenario I see happening: Macbook Pro's get a slight update announced at MWSF (I don't have any idea what that update will be- you guys can decide that). Then, in June/July/whenever, the new casings/features/etc. will be announced after over two years of the same look. SO, why go to the trouble of releasing an "ultra-portable" MBP in January when, most likely, there will be a completely new(-looking) model out six months from now? That would be an extreme waste of money- manufacturing aluminum cases, hardware, etc. for one laptop model that will be updated in six months and most likely need some different parts?

Lesser Evets
Dec 3, 2007, 01:30 PM
YAWWWNN....

I'll believe it when i see it... IN AN ELEVATOR.

whidbeyben
Dec 3, 2007, 04:28 PM
Hey Steve, iText is your next Killer App!

While patiently awaiting a replacement for my 12" PB G4, I keep running across rumors of a Mac Tablet. Why would anyone want a tablet, unless they were a UPS delivery guy or some sales representative who had to gather signatures? Then when hefting my son's textbook laden 30 pound backpack out of the back of my car, it dawned on me. Apple needs to create the iText.

Imagine using Apple's content negotiating savvy with text book publishers like they currently work with the music and video content industries. In this case, working out mega deals with school districts and universities worldwide for textbooks with live links to constantly updated content. Textbook publishers would have an outlet for copyright protected content while no longer having to go through the expense of hardback publishing and distribution. The revenue sharing possibilities would inject Apple with cash just like the iPod universe has done.

E-books have been done (see Amazon's Kindle), but they're lame because they don't offer any advantage over purchasing a $1.99 paperback that can fit in your back pocket. But with text books, this opens a whole new world of possibilities. I was just joking with my daughter that it was too bad she couldn't Google her American History text book to find out what significant event occurred in the middle colonies in the mid 1600's. Imagine using a touch interface to zoom in on graphs and multimedia content, or to pull up an instant reference, Google search, or dictionary citation. Flipping through pages would be a natural application for a touch interface and notepad (iText).

Swapping 30 pounds of hardback texts for a sleek 1 pound tablet would be a no-brainer. Built-in WiFi and bluetooth would enable teachers to send e-mail homework assignments, checklists, and (Apple iBoard) notes, while also enabling students to submit classroom assignments and tests wirelessly. In addition to the touch interface, they could use bluetooth keyboards, or have keyboards built into their school desks that the iText would dock into to charge.

The market for this would be huge. Unlike most notepads, which target a very small sales force/delivery market, this could mean a iText for every single public school student in the country. Can you imagine the power of having your product in the hands of all those kids? Let's get Apple back into the education market big time.

I'm hoping Steve Jobs and the folks at Apple are way ahead of me on this one. If not, they had better get busting before Bill figures this one out.