Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apcpa2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Florida
I am going to be setting up my new iMac this weekend, and wanted to see if there were any suggettsions about how big of a partition to set up in Bootcamp. I will also use the same partition for VM Fusion.

Tell me if I am crazy if you are not allowed to choose the size, as I am a PC convert.

Anyways, I will only be running Quicken and some VPN software to get into work. Other than that I was thinking i would 100% MAC.

P.S. I got the 500 gig HD and have a pretty good CD collection and will be getting into some video editing.

Thanks.

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
if all you plan on running works fine with vmware fusion you should probably just skip boot camp since with fusion only you can resize your vm when necessary

apcpa2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Florida
I probably won't know if it works good on VM before installing everything and I am concerned about the registration of Windows. Everything I read says do bootcamp, don't register windows, then do vm and then register it.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
crap! where did you read that? I just got my last night and I installed boot camp. did 32gb partition thinking I could use fat format but turns out vista will only allow the other kind so that small partition was for nothing.

where did you read about registering after installing fusion? do you mean activating? that means I should install fusion asap before the "3 day" grace period of the automatic activation! I hope it works??

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
if you are talking about activation sequence of running boot camp partition with fusion it is

1. install windows with boot camp
2. activate windows in boot camp
3. run boot camp partition with vmware fusion
4. install vmware tools and restart vm to make sure tools are installed
5. activate windows in vmware fusion

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
If all you're gonna be running are a few basic apps like Quicken, then theres no point in Boot Camping at all. You'd be better off just using Parallels or VM.

I personally have Vista on a 15gb partition - but I just use it purely for games - UT3 at the moment. :)

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
if you are talking about activation sequence of running boot camp partition with fusion it is

1. install windows with boot camp
2. activate windows in boot camp
3. run boot camp partition with vmware fusion
4. install vmware tools and restart vm to make sure tools are installed
5. activate windows in vmware fusion

are you saying activate once while using boot camp and then a second time during fusion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.