PDA

View Full Version : I've ordered a Mac mini and need some advice

maxshanly
Nov 30, 2007, 03:16 PM
Hello.

It has been many a year since I last owned a Macintosh and last night I finally took the plunge and purchased a Mac mini as I had the money to do so. I got a good deal on the machine as well, considering I configured it to the top specification, along with Apple's Wireless Keyboard and Wireless Mighty Mouse as well as AppleCare and it still came out cheaper than if I had just bought the machine on its own and configured it to top specification all thanks to my magical student status. I've attached a screenshot of the order for more information. It is due to be shipped on December 4th and arrive either on December 12th or 13th, doesn't matter since it is still ahead of my birthday on the 17th and this is my birthday present from my Mum.

The reason I am mainly posting is I had a couple of questions regarding monitors, I have around 450 to spend on a monitor. Originally, I thought about getting a 23" Apple Cinema Display off eBay but now I am leaning towards getting a Dell 2407WFP-HC 24" monitor off Ebuyer or if I can eBay (I've looked on eBay and I save about 100 which means I can drop in an iSight if I can get one at a good price). I would like the extra inch because well, it is an extra inch of screen space and it has more inputs. I was just wondering what my fellow Mac users think about the Dell monitor since from what I have read the monitors are essentially the same due to being manufactured by the same company and whether it is worth it in general.

Thank you and I shall await a reply.

Max

netdog
Nov 30, 2007, 03:19 PM
I know that I will catch a lot of flack for this. The Dell is a better deal. It has the same panel. Blah blah blah!

Rubbish. The colour and accuracy of the ACD 23" is lovely. Great for image and video editing and a general pleasure to use. Get it. You're going to live with it for years so the difference in cost over time is negligible. It also won't fuglify your home.

velocityg4
Nov 30, 2007, 03:34 PM
I would say just get the dell monitor. Since you already covered in your post that it has more inputs and a lower price.

Have you considered this Gateway 24" (http://www.gateway.com/accessories/product/1541000R.php?seg=hm). It is the same screen size, with all of the extra inputs and is considerably cheaper than the Dell, at least in the US I did not check UK pricing.

jnc
Nov 30, 2007, 03:38 PM
if you need the extra inputs, the decision is made for you. I myself wish the ACDs offered more than just DVI, I'd snap one up in a heartbeat. Can't beat that look :D

maxshanly
Nov 30, 2007, 03:44 PM
The extra inputs are really needed, but a good quality display and price is what I need to be honest.

OdduWon
Nov 30, 2007, 04:02 PM
It also won't fuglify your home.
So true. The Dell Monitors "Arctic Silver" reminds me of the "PC Beige" Circa 1990. The black is definitely better looking than the fake "metal" look.
if you need the extra inputs, the decision is made for you. I myself wish the ACDs offered more than just DVI, I'd snap one up in a heartbeat. Can't beat that look :DI agree, the ACD is the better of the two for color, design and connectivity. However, the DEll (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-5647) offers more versatility in the positioning of your display, being that it has swivel/tilt/height articulation. Though this comes at the expense of connectivity, perhaps it will fit your work station better than the panel tilt ACD. For instance, I am looking at Dells for my studio space at school. It offers me more room to shove Models and drawings around in my work space than the ACD.
I guess you would want the ACD since you are looking for a >20" monitor, But do you think buying "ebay" ACD's is a good idea :confused:

jnc
Nov 30, 2007, 06:01 PM
The extra inputs are really needed, but a good quality display and price is what I need to be honest.

Sounds like Dell wins! Ticks all three boxes.

the ACD is the better of the two for color, design and connectivity.

The Cinema Display has one DVI, how is it better for connectivity :confused::confused::confused:

koobcamuk
Nov 30, 2007, 06:04 PM
I have a new 20" ACD with my mini and I am sooooo happy I didn't try to save 100 and get a dell. 100 over a couple of years is nothing. Well worth it in my opinion.
:rolleyes: