PDA

View Full Version : iMac started making an extremely high pitch noise

zim
Sep 25, 2003, 08:03 AM
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice, my iMac just started making this extremely high pitch buzz, it sounds like that noise that older TVs make when they are on, but 100x louder, i can here it all the way down stairs. It is so loud that after a while, it gives me headaches.

Is this the tube? it is the CRT iMac, I am not in any position to upgrade, fortunately I do have a TI powerBook.

Has anyone heard of what I just described and if so do you know if it is expensive to fix? or even worth fixing?

When I first turn it on, there is silence and I get all excited thinking that it went away but sure enough it comes back :(

Thanks

Golem
Sep 25, 2003, 08:31 AM
I have heard both old tubes and dieing power supplies make a high pitched noise in the past. Mind you not in the last 10 years or so.

Sorry beyond that I cant help.

tomf87
Sep 25, 2003, 10:38 AM
High voltage transformers cause this as stated above. CRT's require 25,000 volts to operate (correct me if I'm wrong) and these transformers step up the 120V to the required voltage for the CRT.

This is something you will not want to do yourself. Seriously, you could get killed if you don't discharge the CRT properly. This would best be left to a qualified tech.

zim
Sep 25, 2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by tomf87
High voltage transformers cause this as stated above. CRT's require 25,000 volts to operate (correct me if I'm wrong) and these transformers step up the 120V to the required voltage for the CRT.

This is something you will not want to do yourself. Seriously, you could get killed if you don't discharge the CRT properly. This would best be left to a qualified tech.

Thank you for that warning, I do not intend to do this myself, I know about software and such but fixing hardware is best left to a pro.