PDA

View Full Version : iPhone and iPod Touch Stylus

MacRumors
Dec 1, 2007, 03:32 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Ten One Design has released the Pogo Stylus (http://www.tenonedesign.com/stylus.php) designed specifically for the Apple iPhone and iPod Touch.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/12/01/img_iphone.png

The sleek design of the Pogo Stylus features an ultra-light aluminum body with an anodized finish and laser graphics. The foam tip is soft, yet durable and conforms cleanly and precisely to the multi-touch screen. Sized for accuracy, it does away with the awkward typos and misfires common to fingertip-only use.

The $25 accessory is designed specifically for use on the iPhone's capacitance touch surface, which typically recognizes a finger touch only. Not sure how big a market there is for this accessory... but if you can't stand smudging your iPhone, this is for you.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/12/01/iphone-and-ipod-touch-stylus/)

Luis
Dec 1, 2007, 03:44 PM
"who wants a stylus!?" :D

matthewHUB
Dec 1, 2007, 04:02 PM
Kind of does away with multitouch... Not very 'multi'

naroola
Dec 1, 2007, 04:03 PM
The iPhone/Touch screen is so accurate, a stylus is completely unnecessary. This thing is pointless, pointless, pointless. - No pun intended. :)

007bond4321
Dec 1, 2007, 04:14 PM
maybe its just me, but i take this as an insult to my iPhone's great screen.

yoman
Dec 1, 2007, 04:30 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I think it will have a use for people who live in Cold climates. It would allow iphone use with heavy gloves.

chr1s60
Dec 1, 2007, 04:38 PM
This is a waste of $25. The only reasonable use for this is for use when you are wearing gloves and don't want to take them off.

KindredMAC
Dec 1, 2007, 04:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I think it will have a use for people who live in Cold climates. It would allow iphone use with heavy gloves.

You shouldn't really be using it OUTSIDE in a climate that is cold enough to warrant gloves.

It's 11F outside my house right now and I wouldn't think of pulling it out while standing outside. Inside my car, now that is a different story.

I just pulled out my information guide that came with my iPhone and here is a direct quote.... "Operate iPhone in a place where the temperature is always between 0 and 35C (32 to 95F)."

The stylus is for those people who can't get beyond there addiction to a Palm Pilot. I have no problems typing and my iKlear keeps the glass nice and clean when I get it really oiled up with my greasy little fingers.

spazzcat
Dec 1, 2007, 04:48 PM
I have 10 stylus with me at all times....why would I need this?:)

Fuchal
Dec 1, 2007, 04:53 PM
Good for drawing :)

fastbite
Dec 1, 2007, 05:15 PM

As others may have mentioned, the reason you want a pointing device is that, if you are freezing your balls off it is a pain in the neck to get your gloves off to tap on the thing. I was in Birmingham last weekend and even if it is not Alaska I was tired, cold and pissed off -- then somebody rang while I was having a cig outside the station...

maokh
Dec 1, 2007, 05:23 PM
Why?

Those days are over. Let the poor stylus die in peace.

ghall
Dec 1, 2007, 05:51 PM
I hate styluses, they're so clumsy. Waste of money.

Luis
Dec 1, 2007, 06:33 PM
As others may have mentioned, the reason you want a pointing device is that, if you are freezing your balls off it is a pain in the neck to get your gloves off to tap on the thing. I was in Birmingham last weekend and even if it is not Alaska I was tired, cold and pissed off -- then somebody rang while I was having a cig outside the station...

I understand what the use for a stylus would be it just seems that you didn't get the reference to when the iPhone was introduced...

Even more, the iPhone shouldn't be used on temperatures at which you are "freezing your balls off".

nostaws
Dec 1, 2007, 06:39 PM

This is still a complaint with the current ipod. After the first generation ipod (with an actual moving scroll wheel) it has been hard to use an ipod while snowboarding, skiing, or other activities that require gloves. I actually know few people who maintain their original 5gb ipods for this exact reason.

So while it is a niche product, I could see me using one in certain situations. I assume with would work with an ipod scroll wheel too?

bigandtasty
Dec 1, 2007, 07:04 PM
Thing looks like an oversized crayon, marker or cigar, doesn't it?:p

If bigger is better:eek:, I give this stylus a 12!:o

BigAndTasty:cool:

mickhyperion
Dec 1, 2007, 07:05 PM
You shouldn't really be using it OUTSIDE in a climate that is cold enough to warrant gloves.

It's 11F outside my house right now and I wouldn't think of pulling it out while standing outside. Inside my car, now that is a different story.

I just pulled out my information guide that came with my iPhone and here is a direct quote.... "Operate iPhone in a place where the temperature is always between 0 and 35C (32 to 95F)."
BULL-loney!

45 degrees in a nice breeze is plenty cold enough to warrant gloves and that's well within the acceptable iPhone temperature range. It's also a good time to pull out a phone and find out exactly where the hell that bus is that you're standing there waiting for.

And another thing... I'm sure the iPhone is plenty warm enough for many, many minutes after being in my pocket all day, very near my 98.6 degree crotch. A minute or two out in even sub-zero temperatures after that little warm up isn't going to hamper its functionality.

I won't be buying a stylus, but I do have to pull one thumb out of my gloves to operate the iPhone in colder weather, so I empathize with those who think a stylus might be handy.

bbirch
Dec 1, 2007, 07:09 PM
Kind of does away with multitouch... Not very 'multi'

want multi-touch . . . . then just buy two!!

SpaceJello
Dec 1, 2007, 07:14 PM
Dare I suggest getting better and fitted gloves? Hockey and skiing gloves are definitely not compatible with the iphone.

Football1maniac
Dec 1, 2007, 07:21 PM
And another thing... I'm sure the iPhone is plenty warm enough for many, many minutes after being in my pocket all day, very near my 98.6 degree crotch. A minute or two out in even sub-zero temperatures after that little warm up isn't going to hamper its functionality.

I won't be buying a stylus, but I do have to pull one thumb out of my gloves to operate the iPhone in colder weather, so I empathize with those who think a stylus might be handy.

Haha, but couldn't you see an accessory coming out that would be the "iPhone Compatible Gloves?:p" Funny as it may seem, depending on the price I might actually look into it with my iPod touch since, unlike the iPhone, has no external controls AT ALL.:rolleyes::apple:

Demon
Dec 1, 2007, 07:35 PM
Good luck to the company trying to sell a strap on stylus...
It kind of defeats the purpose of multitouch. It's also a step back, since older stylus are at least hidden away and not adding to the bulk.

my point is... why would macrumors even post such a product on their pages? there are plenty of far better products...
any connections?

psycoswimmer
Dec 1, 2007, 07:47 PM
Haha, but couldn't you see an accessory coming out that would be the "iPhone Compatible Gloves?:p" Funny as it may seem, depending on the price I might actually look into it with my iPod touch since, unlike the iPhone, has no external controls AT ALL.:rolleyes::apple:

A product like that would probably sell much better than this stylus.

Especially if they had little :apple:s on the fingertips or something. :D

godslabrat
Dec 1, 2007, 08:00 PM
This discussion simply underscores the fact that there IS a demand for an Apple product with more PDA functionality than what the iPhone/Touch is offering. Some people (maybe not many, but I think enough) want a handheld device capable of acting as a small computer.

kuebby
Dec 1, 2007, 08:06 PM
Dare I suggest getting better and fitted gloves? Hockey and skiing gloves are definitely not compatible with the iphone.

The point is that the screen (same as the iPod scroll wheel) don't work unless touched with bare skin, or specially made gloves. (http://www.tavoproducts.com/TavoGloves.html)

Lixivial
Dec 1, 2007, 08:44 PM

I imagine in February, it may come bundled with an app that simulates the experience of picking up sushi with chopsticks.

badtzmaru
Dec 1, 2007, 09:35 PM
i want one! it would be good when you're wearing gloves.

mkaake
Dec 1, 2007, 10:51 PM
Wow - people can be pretty narrow-minded about the uses for a product.

Anyhew, for me, it would allow me to consider a touch for my work environment (after the SDK is out there, and I can get a few apps that are lacking official support right now) - on the go note taking, occasionally with my hands dirty to the point where I certainly wouldn't want to touch the physical surface of the touch... In fact, I was thinking about it just this morning, how I'd love to pick one of those up (come SDK time) but I wouldn't be able to use it at work because of the need to use your fingers (capacitive type touch screen).

And for the poster on the first page wondering why this was newsworthy, that's it - most styli don't work on capacitive screens - this is the first that I've been made aware of...

toughboy
Dec 1, 2007, 11:24 PM

Yeah.. then use your iPhone like chinese people eating food :D:D

deannnnn
Dec 2, 2007, 01:09 AM

interesting idea... But here in Florida, where there's no need for gloves, there's no need for a stylus

odedia
Dec 2, 2007, 01:34 AM
I guess this could be useful in very cold countries like Russia, where you have gloves some of the day and can't operate the phone.

For anything other than that - complete waste. The touch screen is perfection.

shadowfax
Dec 2, 2007, 02:20 AM

expensive, but it could work well if you know how to use chopsticks :D

KindredMAC
Dec 2, 2007, 08:28 AM
BULL-loney!

45 degrees in a nice breeze is plenty cold enough to warrant gloves and that's well within the acceptable iPhone temperature range. It's also a good time to pull out a phone and find out exactly where the hell that bus is that you're standing there waiting for.

"Bull-loney" YOURSELF....

If you need gloves on a 45 day you need to have your "Balls Card" revoked. You wouldn't last a single day where I live come February and it's -45F at 8am.... THEN and only then do you need gloves.

savanahrose
Dec 2, 2007, 08:36 AM
The point is that the screen (same as the iPod scroll wheel) don't work unless touched with bare skin, or specially made gloves. (http://www.tavoproducts.com/TavoGloves.html)

But you can also buy the mittens that the top comes off of if you don't like these. Luckily I don't live in an area where it really warrants gloves or mittens. :D

I can't wait to get my iphone in March! :D

ClassicMac247
Dec 2, 2007, 09:03 AM
very cool, although I think it should be silver or chrome like to match the ipod!:D

Rocketman
Dec 2, 2007, 11:08 AM
The iPhone/Touch screen is so accurate, a stylus is completely unnecessary. This thing is pointless, pointless, pointless. - No pun intended. :)

I have tried using the iPhone on websites with small select points for next page. I find that by using the side of my finger near the fingernail I can get a shockingly small select area "most of the time". If this device has a hemispherical selection tip it might make making such small selections more reliable. I bet it gets at least a 5% market share, especially among the fat fingered and the clumsy among us.

Rocketman

deannnnn
Dec 2, 2007, 11:57 AM
You wouldn't last a single day where I live come February and it's -45F at 8am....

I know that wasn't directed at me but...
I WOULDNT LAST THERE! lol
i'm happy if its down to 70 at 8am

Schtumple
Dec 2, 2007, 01:46 PM
I guess this is one of those "if you need it, buy it" product, it doesn't favor the majority but minority of people out there are after a product like this.

naroola
Dec 2, 2007, 02:03 PM
We are going to need two of these silly styluses to do any multitouch activity on the iPhone. In other words, one would have to know how to use chopsticks. That will just look weird.

Baumi
Dec 2, 2007, 03:31 PM
the reason you want a pointing device is that, if you are freezing your balls off

Are you sure, you're using the correct body part for pointing? :D

jazzkids
Dec 2, 2007, 03:50 PM
I would assume that they did market research before investing money making this? :rolleyes:

Also, it does not look like it would actually stay on its holder moving out of your pocket.

maestro55
Dec 2, 2007, 04:08 PM
Even if I was to use a stylus I would like something more stylish.

macUser2007
Dec 2, 2007, 05:32 PM
Well, this may make text-messaging or typing an email a bit more palatable on the iPhone.

The biggest issue most reviews and users seem to have, is that you can't type very fast on the closely-spaced touch keyboard.

Apple has done nothing to fix this, like for instance allowing landscape (more widely spaced) keyboard view in Mail.

I never figured out why we can have landscape keyboard when we browse in Safari, but not while we write an email or a text message, when we actually have to do some more extensive typing.

So, for those who text or write a lot, this stylus may solve a real problem.

Flhusky
Dec 2, 2007, 05:45 PM
narrow minded or ignorant I don't know which one fits it.
For disabled and amputee's this opens another phone/device up to them.

Eric Lewis
Dec 2, 2007, 05:49 PM
it looks like a dildo? im serious

Orng
Dec 2, 2007, 08:18 PM

That's must be why we don't have the iPhone in Canada. :) it is under 0 celsius (32 F) for about 4 months of the year where I live. And it's above 35 C (95F) for about 2 months of the year.

Apple must have decided that they shouldn't sell it to us if we can only use it half the year. :)

If that was true they wouldn't sell it to Northern states either.

meagain
Dec 2, 2007, 09:02 PM
i want one! it would be good when you're wearing gloves.

Exactly. The only valid reason to have it IMO. Standing outside waiting for a bus/train - pull it out of the pocket without taking off gloves. Course, they need to make gloves to do this.

bentup
Dec 2, 2007, 09:33 PM
The biggest issue most reviews and users seem to have, is that you can't type very fast on the closely-spaced touch keyboard.[...]

So, for those who text or write a lot, this stylus may solve a real problem.

I think typing with a stylus would be much slower.

The iPhone is intelligent and can figure out a lot of your mistakes if you just power through and trust the system. For me, two thumb typing is a breeze. And i text/email A LOT. A stylus would seem too much like hunt-n-peck typing to me...

Practice makes perfect! :p

nevesis
Dec 3, 2007, 01:01 AM
Majority of smudging comes more from the face, rather than the fingers.

appleguru1
Dec 3, 2007, 01:27 PM

I successfully used my iPhone skiing yesterday (temp was around 11F, and very windy) with my gloves on... I was wearing black diamond polartec fleece gloves.

gkarris
Dec 3, 2007, 01:35 PM
Why?

Those days are over. Let the poor stylus die in peace.

NO!

(runs off crying...)

pedroistheman
Dec 6, 2007, 10:57 PM
has anyone actually purchased the stylus? I know the concept seems absurd for a product meant to be touched with fingertips but could some brave soul at least try it out? I live in california where the use of gloves is rarely needed, but it does seem a hassle to remove your gloves just to make a quick phone call. anyhow, the stylus is made specifically for the iphone/touch interface. why not give it a try? at the very least, it could be a good alternative to the ever-so-often mispellings due to my clumsy fingers.

ikondave
Dec 8, 2007, 12:53 PM
There are people with various kinds of disabilities for whom a stylus would be very helpful. Not everybody has hands or fingers that are fully functional. Sadly, the current war in Iraq has, because of the nature of the weapons and advances in medicine, created a larger proportion of severely wounded military personnel than has been witnessed in the past. Lot's of limb injuries, etc.

shadowfax
Dec 9, 2007, 03:18 AM
I can think of one use for the stylus: iPhysics for iPhone (http://www.iphone.r4m0n.net/).

It's amazingly cool. Really fun little game. But it definitely would work better with a higher-precision input device.

WhiteShadow
Dec 10, 2007, 04:37 PM
This discussion simply underscores the fact that there IS a demand for an Apple product with more PDA functionality than what the iPhone/Touch is offering. Some people (maybe not many, but I think enough) want a handheld device capable of acting as a small computer.

the iPhone doesn't act like a small computer it is a small pocket computer. added with multi-touch it is the most advanced pda ever built.

The problem is not the touch it is the programs and after february there will no longer be any limitation to how innovative this device is.

JSchwage
Dec 10, 2007, 06:07 PM
I'm sorry, but $25 for a stick of plastic?!

yescurvyswab
Dec 11, 2007, 11:12 AM
I wonder if the tip could be cut off and glued to a glove? also, do you guys think this might work with a MacBook touchpad?

NitrousFlare
Dec 18, 2007, 09:44 PM
iPhone was designed so you wouldn't need a bloody stylus.

MonkeyClaw
Dec 18, 2007, 10:22 PM
I successfully used my iPhone skiing yesterday (temp was around 11F, and very windy) with my gloves on... I was wearing black diamond polartec fleece gloves.

Those are some damn warm gloves eh? Black Diamond just makes great gear in general, hah.

Anyhow, with a SDK coming out, we may have doodle apps and note taking apps coming out and I can see where a stylus would come in handy for those. I mean hey, if theres a market, why not make it?

dscuber9000
Dec 19, 2007, 03:30 PM
Hooray! No more wiping away finger prints off my touch's screen! :D

boydigital
Jan 17, 2008, 07:45 AM
Nothing is sacred, least of all the touch technology.

Firstly, Apple should include a simple stylus with their iPod/iPhones to be used when necessary. Folks -- many here -- seem to ignore the fact that the stylus does not have to be used all of the time. However, in certain circumstances a stylus becomes a nice accessory that improves usability and functionality.

1. ) The Midwest United States features some cold winter months. For example: you're heading to work in the morning and you jump onto the subway and need to send a quick text between stops. Taking off your bulky gloves (yes, bulky gloves are required during zero degree mornings) requires minutes of jostling and disrobing -- knocking ***** all over the place -- and it becomes a pain. At that point, the touch technology is both rendered useless for a time and annoying. A simple stylus attached to your iPhone/iPod cover can be pulled out and used.

2. ) I have linebacker hands. I'm 6'3", 250lbs, and big-boned (don't laugh). My hand could wrap around your face and then some. My fingers are, consequently, massive and sausage-like. While I have to say the touch technology is wonderful the majority of the time, I wouldn't choose willingly to write much more than a paragraph at a time as I tend to goof letters/links up on an occasional basis. A stylus might solve that problem.

3. ) You don't have to use it all the time. Just when you need it for long messages, notes, or navigating a touchy website.

4. ) Using a stylus to write things makes the experience feel more natural -- as it is a custom to use pens/pencils to write things on paper.

5. ) My Etch-A-Sketch art will look so much better with a stylus.

TimTheEnchanter
Jan 17, 2008, 09:59 AM
no stylus for an iPhone, totally defeats the whole purpose of multitouch.

The idea I had (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) is small slip-on pads for your thumbs that narrow the touch. At first I thought of calling them iThumbs.... but later found out that is a URL to a porn site...OOPS! FatThumbs.... also porn. Ah hell, how about Thumbdoms! Follows my last idea of Poddoms, iPod condoms.... which I still think is a good idea for the iPhone. :D

boydigital
Jan 17, 2008, 11:20 AM

The idea I had (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) is small slip-on pads for your thumbs that narrow the touch. At first I thought of calling them iThumbs.... but later found out that is a URL to a porn site...OOPS! FatThumbs.... also porn. Ah hell, how about Thumbdoms! Follows my last idea of Poddoms, iPod condoms.... which I still think is a good idea for the iPhone. :D

Why does it defeat the purpose of "touch" if it makes the device function better?

And please tell me why your "iThumbs" are more functional than a plastic pen that can be easily pulled out and put back? LOL

You guys seem to be very loyal to the device. What you should be loyal to is functionality. There's obviously a slight functionality problem -- i.e. people are having difficulty pointing at certain things -- so why not strive to solve the problem?

Either work on making the touch technology work for large hands, or include a 10 cent plastic pen to allow me to point to stuff.

tetrodo
Mar 9, 2008, 09:58 PM
How sensitive is the iPod touch anyway? Is it sensitive to 'pressure' ?

Colors! for the Nintendo DS has really revolutionized artist's ability to draw in a cheap portable format (http://colors.brombra.net/).

Could a similar app be developed for the touch with this sort of stylus?

Colors! is an amazing application, but I wonder (1) if there would be a way to implement pressure sensitivity, and (2) whether the pad's sensing really is "high resolution" enough to use as a drawing tablet.

Does anyone know what the actual specs are on the resolution and any potential pressure sensitivity?

idonotliketostu
Mar 13, 2008, 01:10 AM
When its cold, I turn on safari and ichatmobile to "freeze" my phone to warm my hands.

idonotliketostu
Mar 13, 2008, 01:11 AM
How sensitive is the iPod touch anyway? Is it sensitive to 'pressure' ?

Colors! for the Nintendo DS has really revolutionized artist's ability to draw in a cheap portable format (http://colors.brombra.net/).

Could a similar app be developed for the touch with this sort of stylus?

Colors! is an amazing application, but I wonder (1) if there would be a way to implement pressure sensitivity, and (2) whether the pad's sensing really is "high resolution" enough to use as a drawing tablet.

Does anyone know what the actual specs are on the resolution and any potential pressure sensitivity?

the ipod touch exactly like the iphone w/o the phone free apps

chickenninja
Mar 14, 2008, 09:36 PM

i agree i think stylus compatibility is just common sence. say youve got really fat fingers or your shaky. its intristing to note that trackpads on laptops also need a finger interface (like a touch lamp) but no stylus has been designed for them.

chickenninja
Mar 14, 2008, 09:37 PM
the problem with touch screens is you can see through your finger or your stylus, we need invisible stylus. and or finger

zainjetha
Mar 17, 2008, 08:46 AM
It adds a slight bulk to iPhone on sides

plus my typing with fingers is 99.9999 percent accurate... however what i can forsee happening is a small clip-on keyboard that fits on the bottom of iphone into Universal Dock Connector to make it easier for email if it takes off as an Exchange phone causing competition for RIM BB...

sleepingworker
Mar 29, 2008, 11:09 AM
Probably need to buy two - hold them like chopsticks - for the zooming in and out effect ... lol

Taylor C
Mar 29, 2008, 11:58 AM
Anyone else actually find this repulsive?

sleepingworker
Mar 29, 2008, 12:23 PM

Not quite repulsive but more counter-intuitive to the concept of multi-touch. It brings me back to the olden days of having a Palm and losing styluses.

zainjetha
Mar 29, 2008, 01:29 PM
I find the idea stupid... Idea of iPhone is compactibility with minimal clutter... wouldnt be surprised if one day it could do most laptop-like functions and businessmen could own one instead of a MacBook Air... maybe im exaggerating but yeah... nobody needs a stylus when they can do it with their hands faster and not having the idea of something else to carry or get lost...

GSA190
Mar 30, 2008, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't even both wasting my time buying this product. To be honest, a little piece of me bought the iPhone because of the touch screen. Its amazing how it works. A stylus, in my opinion would make it like every other phone with a stylus but then again, all of the finger marks and having to clean it everday is a pain in the butt.

neilford
Mar 31, 2008, 10:44 PM
Drawing is a good reason for a stylus. I would love to see a stylus that worked with an iphone or a touch.

neilford

sleepingworker
Apr 1, 2008, 07:58 AM
Drawing is a good reason for a stylus. I would love to see a stylus that worked with an iphone or a touch.

Yes, drawing might be the only good reason for a stylus. Is the screen real estate really large enough on an iP to draw? Certainly not with the stylus that was shown for me. We would need a "000" stylus! ;)

neilford
Apr 1, 2008, 10:08 AM
I have a drawing program on my Axim PDA I use all the time. Since I am replacing my Axim with with an iPhone, I would like to continue that functionality. The Pogo, is much too big to use as a good drawing stylus.

There are two others I have found:

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=256174

There is one other advertised that may be small enough, but it looks more like vaporware:

http://tapright.com/iPhone_Stylus.html

neilford

Yes, drawing might be the only good reason for a stylus. Is the screen real estate really large enough on an iP to draw? Certainly not with the stylus that was shown for me. We would need a "000" stylus! ;)

sleepingworker
Apr 2, 2008, 11:15 AM
I have a drawing program on my Axim PDA I use all the time. Since I am replacing my Axim with with an iPhone, I would like to continue that functionality. The Pogo, is much too big to use as a good drawing stylus.

There are two others I have found:

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=256174

There is one other advertised that may be small enough, but it looks more like vaporware:

http://tapright.com/iPhone_Stylus.html

neilford

For drawing I really would need a VERY fine point on a stylus - especially with such a small screen. And for most visual ideas, I will probably always prefer the analogue way - a sketchbook.

Hawkeye411
Apr 3, 2008, 10:33 AM
Looks great. I'm gonna get one.

LizKat
Apr 6, 2008, 07:52 PM

Yah, it's a true kludge. I might even have posted that opinion someplace else already. I was tempted to type it in all caps.

Anyway a stylus on an iPhone interrupts the sweep of our u-turn in evolution. We were on our way back to not even needing opposable thumbs, having learned how to text at 30 or 40 wpm using two thumbs as if they were just a couple of extra fingers.

I was interested in seeing what came next, relearning how to grow an amphibian tail or going straight back to the fins and gills?

Just because I love all this high tech doesn't mean I necessarily think it's taking humankind to a higher level... but it's been a gas (so far) watching some of the unintended consequences of making communications more "intuitive."

We're gonna intuit ourselves into a corner one of these days unless we remember to teach our kids what they might need to know in case we take them down a cul de sac trying to make everything easy and simple for ourselves. "Easy and simple" were the watchwords of single-cell critters a really, really long time ago... ;)

So maybe a stylus is not a bad option -- OPTION-- after all. Someone should remember how to hold a writing utensil!

sleepingworker
Apr 6, 2008, 11:51 PM
Yah, it's a true kludge. I might even have posted that opinion someplace else already. I was tempted to type it in all caps.

Anyway a stylus on an iPhone interrupts the sweep of our u-turn in evolution. We were on our way back to not even needing opposable thumbs, having learned how to text at 30 or 40 wpm using two thumbs as if they were just a couple of extra fingers.

I was interested in seeing what came next, relearning how to grow an amphibian tail or going straight back to the fins and gills?

Just because I love all this high tech doesn't mean I necessarily think it's taking humankind to a higher level... but it's been a gas (so far) watching some of the unintended consequences of making communications more "intuitive."

We're gonna intuit ourselves into a corner one of these days unless we remember to teach our kids what they might need to know in case we take them down a cul de sac trying to make everything easy and simple for ourselves. "Easy and simple" were the watchwords of single-cell critters a really, really long time ago... ;)

So maybe a stylus is not a bad option -- OPTION-- after all. Someone should remember how to hold a writing utensil!

Thank you for your funny and thoughtful insight into our continually "easy and simple" high tech world. Made me lol! ... and want to use a pencil.

BANNERWORX
May 9, 2008, 05:24 PM
I think this tool would be useful in the UK market. Alot of people really do not understand the functionality of the iPhone, and with the amount of complaints I have heard from iPhone owners, another accessorie would do them all good. :)

retroneo
May 12, 2008, 11:04 PM
A stylus certainly makes iPhone OS 2.0's handwriting recognition easier.

I am not sure if they are limiting it to chinese in its first release.

cmgallacher
Jun 1, 2008, 10:47 AM
Why would you want to confine yourself to a single gesture?
If you are worried about fingerprints, get a screen cover

adamerr
Jun 7, 2008, 08:13 AM
i really have no experience with the iPhone (yet 3G 3G 3G)
but, would it make txting any easier?

levitynyc
Jun 7, 2008, 02:16 PM

No, texting is simple. Once you learn to trust the keyboard and the autocorrect, you can type as fast as any phone out there.

mavis
Jun 7, 2008, 02:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (iTouch 1.1.4 (pWN'd + JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

No, texting is simple. Once you learn to trust the keyboard and the autocorrect, you can type as fast as any phone out there.

Or faster - I average about 50 WPM on my Touch. :D

I wouldn't use a stylus, if only because it would be incredibly slow compared to using fingers, but I do think it would be very useful in the middle of winter.

ricanloveee
Jun 14, 2008, 02:56 PM

lol... Stylus = Cheapy..

Arnenys
Jun 15, 2008, 09:17 AM
It's for the chinese who have to draw their characters! :rolleyes:

Van Wildonher
Jun 15, 2008, 03:16 PM
Will work good for any apps that use handwriting, or drawing. Have any of you tried using your fingers for those?

Mord
Jun 16, 2008, 03:10 AM

The stylus is for those people who can't get beyond there addiction to a Palm Pilot. I have no problems typing and my iKlear keeps the glass nice and clean when I get it really oiled up with my greasy little fingers.

Some people are more sensitive to the cold than others, I wear gloves when it's below 10 C due to circulatory issues, I find all ipods bar my old 1st gen a pain in the arse for that reason as I have to remove my gloves to operate them properly.

zarusoba
Jun 16, 2008, 03:31 AM
Good for drawing :)

Here here!

Are there any drawing apps apart from the Etchasketch one?

heisetax
Jun 24, 2008, 09:36 PM

I have had a 75%+ error rate while typing with my fingers. Those that did not grow up with doing 2 finger texting may need a lot of help in hitting the correct keys.

I'm looking for an iPod Touch as a replacement for my Palm PDA's which were replacement for my Newtons. Everybody wants something different from their computer equipment. I have an iPod Classic for large storage of music & other stuff. I have a cell phone that works very well for for wireless communications. I have an iPod Nano & iPod Shuffle when I want small amounts of music.

With the new programs on the iPod Touch & iPhone the iPod Touch should make a good Newton/Palm/PDA replacement. When the new models come out I may be adding one. The syncing with my PowerBook, PowerMac & Intel Mac Pro puts the iPod touch in an interesting place. WiFi & pictures have not even been mentioned which adds mor value yet.

Waiting to see if Apple goes to 64 GB for a Super iPod Touch.

Bill the TaxMan

heisetax
Jun 24, 2008, 10:00 PM

I'd go with the stylus as it is only 1 item. A stylus can be easily put down & your bare fingers used the way many think that the iPod Touch & iPhone was meant to be operated.

Bill the TaxMan

smokinghot1894
Jul 3, 2008, 07:30 AM
From my house, I can't connect to the Wi-Fi and I don't know what the host name is for aim. I'm so confused! Please help!!:confused:

JohnMacnMiami
Jul 9, 2008, 09:57 AM
I know SEVERAL women in my life (Work/Home) who have long nails, and cannot use the iPhone for that reason.
This COULD provide an option.

:rolleyes:

mydanes
Jul 17, 2008, 10:44 AM
Hello and I am glad I found this forum.

Now I have to tell you 'young' folks - I just got my Ipod Touch 32GB and I just updated to 2.0 and LOVE IT :) I even ventured to download a game (Crash Bande...)

Now I did order a Pogo and Don't yell at me but I love the darn thing. I find it very handy for typing quick responses, web addresses etc. (bear in mind I am NOT multi finger typing letters and I found I so many times was MIS typing the characters with my fingers - now I am very accurate.

One input from one of us 'old foggies' that loves technology :)

I forgot - It comes with this handy 'clip' that arches around the back and your POGO is right on the side of IPod Touch convenient to get at etc.

Have a great day.

Thanks for letting me on the forum.

ChrisN
Jul 17, 2008, 11:44 AM

ye i would hate to carry it around and i would lose it and poof there goes 25 dollars.

ChrisN

RNSheets
Jul 20, 2008, 05:13 PM
Hello and I am glad I found this forum.

Now I have to tell you 'young' folks - I just got my Ipod Touch 32GB and I just updated to 2.0 and LOVE IT :) I even ventured to download a game (Crash Bande...)

Now I did order a Pogo and Don't yell at me but I love the darn thing. I find it very handy for typing quick responses, web addresses etc. (bear in mind I am NOT multi finger typing letters and I found I so many times was MIS typing the characters with my fingers - now I am very accurate.

One input from one of us 'old foggies' that loves technology :)

I forgot - It comes with this handy 'clip' that arches around the back and your POGO is right on the side of IPod Touch convenient to get at etc.

Have a great day.

Thanks for letting me on the forum.

Another "old foggie" here that loves the Pogo. I have large fingers (lol) and I keep messing up the "o" and the "p". It sucks.

With the Pogo, I can type out email much faster.

Yeah, expensive, but to me, very useful. :)

muldul
Jul 20, 2008, 06:08 PM
This would be very good for the winter months when you are wearing gloves and if you don't want to get finger prints all over your screen

only1kiku
Sep 3, 2008, 01:57 AM
I need this product! I want access to email and to manage my calendar and the keys on the alpha numeric keyboard on the iphone are to close together to type effectively with my thumbs. This problem is also complicated by my long nails (can't connect pad of finger tips to screen).

The only phone I've found that I can type comfortably on is the sidekick which, to me, appears juvenile and just won't cut in the corporate world. BTW - I hate the blackberry and palm keys as they are too hard and tiny. Besides, the iphone is cheaper and lighter.

Seems like more women would have this problem. Is everyone in this thread male?:confused:

http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Ten One Design has released the Pogo Stylus (http://www.tenonedesign.com/stylus.php) designed specifically for the Apple iPhone and iPod Touch.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/12/01/img_iphone.png

The $25 accessory is designed specifically for use on the iPhone's capacitance touch surface, which typically recognizes a finger touch only. Not sure how big a market there is for this accessory... but if you can't stand smudging your iPhone, this is for you.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/12/01/iphone-and-ipod-touch-stylus/)