Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ten One Design has released the Pogo Stylus designed specifically for the Apple iPhone and iPod Touch.

img_iphone.png

The sleek design of the Pogo Stylus features an ultra-light aluminum body with an anodized finish and laser graphics. The foam tip is soft, yet durable and conforms cleanly and precisely to the multi-touch screen. Sized for accuracy, it does away with the awkward typos and misfires common to fingertip-only use.

The $25 accessory is designed specifically for use on the iPhone's capacitance touch surface, which typically recognizes a finger touch only. Not sure how big a market there is for this accessory... but if you can't stand smudging your iPhone, this is for you.

Article Link

naroola

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Chicago, IL
The iPhone/Touch screen is so accurate, a stylus is completely unnecessary. This thing is pointless, pointless, pointless. - No pun intended. :)

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I think it will have a use for people who live in Cold climates. It would allow iphone use with heavy gloves.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
This is a waste of $25. The only reasonable use for this is for use when you are wearing gloves and don't want to take them off.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I think it will have a use for people who live in Cold climates. It would allow iphone use with heavy gloves.

You shouldn't really be using it OUTSIDE in a climate that is cold enough to warrant gloves.

It's 11ºF outside my house right now and I wouldn't think of pulling it out while standing outside. Inside my car, now that is a different story.

I just pulled out my information guide that came with my iPhone and here is a direct quote.... "Operate iPhone in a place where the temperature is always between 0º and 35ºC (32º to 95ºF)."

The stylus is for those people who can't get beyond there addiction to a Palm Pilot. I have no problems typing and my iKlear keeps the glass nice and clean when I get it really oiled up with my greasy little fingers.

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
"who wants a stylus!?" :D

As others may have mentioned, the reason you want a pointing device is that, if you are freezing your balls off it is a pain in the neck to get your gloves off to tap on the thing. I was in Birmingham last weekend and even if it is not Alaska I was tired, cold and pissed off -- then somebody rang while I was having a cig outside the station...

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
As others may have mentioned, the reason you want a pointing device is that, if you are freezing your balls off it is a pain in the neck to get your gloves off to tap on the thing. I was in Birmingham last weekend and even if it is not Alaska I was tired, cold and pissed off -- then somebody rang while I was having a cig outside the station...

I understand what the use for a stylus would be it just seems that you didn't get the reference to when the iPhone was introduced...

Even more, the iPhone shouldn't be used on temperatures at which you are "freezing your balls off".

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006

This is still a complaint with the current ipod. After the first generation ipod (with an actual moving scroll wheel) it has been hard to use an ipod while snowboarding, skiing, or other activities that require gloves. I actually know few people who maintain their original 5gb ipods for this exact reason.

So while it is a niche product, I could see me using one in certain situations. I assume with would work with an ipod scroll wheel too?

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Now That's A Stylus!

Thing looks like an oversized crayon, marker or cigar, doesn't it?:p

If bigger is better:eek:, I give this stylus a 12!:eek:

BigAndTasty:cool:

mickhyperion

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
You shouldn't really be using it OUTSIDE in a climate that is cold enough to warrant gloves.

It's 11ºF outside my house right now and I wouldn't think of pulling it out while standing outside. Inside my car, now that is a different story.

I just pulled out my information guide that came with my iPhone and here is a direct quote.... "Operate iPhone in a place where the temperature is always between 0º and 35ºC (32º to 95ºF)."
BULL-loney!

45 degrees in a nice breeze is plenty cold enough to warrant gloves and that's well within the acceptable iPhone temperature range. It's also a good time to pull out a phone and find out exactly where the hell that bus is that you're standing there waiting for.

And another thing... I'm sure the iPhone is plenty warm enough for many, many minutes after being in my pocket all day, very near my 98.6 degree crotch. A minute or two out in even sub-zero temperatures after that little warm up isn't going to hamper its functionality.

I won't be buying a stylus, but I do have to pull one thumb out of my gloves to operate the iPhone in colder weather, so I empathize with those who think a stylus might be handy.

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Dare I suggest getting better and fitted gloves? Hockey and skiing gloves are definitely not compatible with the iphone.

Football1maniac

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
And another thing... I'm sure the iPhone is plenty warm enough for many, many minutes after being in my pocket all day, very near my 98.6 degree crotch. A minute or two out in even sub-zero temperatures after that little warm up isn't going to hamper its functionality.

I won't be buying a stylus, but I do have to pull one thumb out of my gloves to operate the iPhone in colder weather, so I empathize with those who think a stylus might be handy.

Haha, but couldn't you see an accessory coming out that would be the "iPhone Compatible Gloves?:p" Funny as it may seem, depending on the price I might actually look into it with my iPod touch since, unlike the iPhone, has no external controls AT ALL.:rolleyes::apple:

Demon

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2004
on earth
good luck with that product...

Good luck to the company trying to sell a strap on stylus...
It kind of defeats the purpose of multitouch. It's also a step back, since older stylus are at least hidden away and not adding to the bulk.

my point is... why would macrumors even post such a product on their pages? there are plenty of far better products...
any connections?

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Haha, but couldn't you see an accessory coming out that would be the "iPhone Compatible Gloves?:p" Funny as it may seem, depending on the price I might actually look into it with my iPod touch since, unlike the iPhone, has no external controls AT ALL.:rolleyes::apple:

A product like that would probably sell much better than this stylus.

Especially if they had little :apple:s on the fingertips or something. :D

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
This discussion simply underscores the fact that there IS a demand for an Apple product with more PDA functionality than what the iPhone/Touch is offering. Some people (maybe not many, but I think enough) want a handheld device capable of acting as a small computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.