Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
I have ordered (and soon to recieve) a 1.25Ghz 15inch PowerBook, and my buddy is telling me that it is going to be SOOOOOO slow, and that his P4 2.2Ghz Laptop could knock the pants off of it when it arrives. I tried to explain the Mhz Myth, but he's being a stubborn windows jackass, and so only raw number of the PBooks ass kicking abilities are going to prove my point.

SO... I need a free easy to use benchmarking utility that will work unbiased across the platform barrier. Thanks for the help and maybe we can get another "switcher" out of the deal!

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
While your new Powerbook will be far from "SOOOOOO slow", a P4 2.2Ghz will be a good deal faster than a G4 1.25ghz. Yes, the Mhz myth is true, yet people seem to think that Apple mhz = 2x PC Mhz - which is so false. Unless your friends laptop has a Celeron, you can pretty much guarantee that it'll be faster than your powerbook.

Now with that said, there is a lot more that can determine speed than just the processor alone. The new powerbooks come with a Radeon 9600 mobility, which is the top of the line as far as portables go. This chip will eat alive any PC that comes with "Intel extreme graphics", which most cheap PC's these days come with.

As for an unbiased cross platform benchmark, thats going to be a bit tricky. Performance of a program can range wildly from something as simple as the compiler used. Cross platform means not only is the compliler different, but the actual processor instructions are completly different, especially comparing PPC to x86. In other words, its impossible to get a true unbiased benchmark across platforms. Many people will instantly point out Photoshop, but in my opinion, thats a pretty boring thing to test a computers speed with.

Cinebench 2003 is a pretty good crossplatform benchmark that tests a variety of things, and its free!
Also, you might want to try out Quake3 benchmarking.

kometen

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2003
Breim, westcoast of Norway
try ubench

Hi. You can try ubench at http://www.phystech.com/download/ubench.html. Eventhough it's very basic, it still gives you an idea of how your hardware performs. Get the source at http://www.phystech.com/download, open a terminal-window, descend into the ubench-folder and type './configure'. This will create a Makefile, edit this file and change the line 'CFLAGS = ' to CFLAGS = -O2' (capital letter O and digit 2). Save your changes and type make at the command-prompt. Type './ubench' and it will perform some 'pointless' aritmetics in six minutes.

When done you will get CPU and RAM numbers. My Dual G4 @ 1.25 Ghz and 768 MB RAM said:

Ubench CPU: 151389
Ubench MEM: 150447
--------------------
Ubench AVG: 150918

This should compare to a dual Xeon @ 2.4 Ghz on a FreeBSD 4.4 stable, which - if the benchmarks con be converted to real-life performance - is pretty impressive.

regards
Claus

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
well according to tests done by apple (yeah i know) the 1.25 powerbook processor is 40% faster than a 3.0ghz non centrino processor. I know that the fastest centrino is slightly faster than the 1.25 powerbook according to that testing on an independant website. (its something feet.)
-Excalibur313

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.