PDA

View Full Version : wireless printing

windwaves
Sep 25, 2003, 12:52 PM
I have a bluetooth enabled Mac and an airport set up at home. I also have a USB printer. I am wondering is it possible that using one or the other I cannot print wirelessly ? is there a way to do that using either airport or bluetooth ? Or do I have to get a new printer ? but which one would allow me to do that ?

thx

robbieduncan
Sep 25, 2003, 12:59 PM
Airport!

Get a wireless print server (I use a LinkSys parallel port one, but USB ones are available). I have never seen a printer with built in 802.11

baby duck monge
Sep 25, 2003, 01:03 PM
they also make bluetooth dongles for printers if you would like to go about it that way. though most of them i have seen work with parallel ports...

TEG
Sep 25, 2003, 01:30 PM
Also the Airport Extreme Basestation has a USB port for printers. It would be easier to use Apple Equipment, Most 3rd parties don't have good Mac support.

TEG

Ramsos
Sep 25, 2003, 01:50 PM
I use the Airport extreme base station with my hp printer and it was very easy to set up, all you have to do is choose rendevous printer in the print center and your done. It uses you original printer driver again very easy.

Lanbrown
Sep 25, 2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by robbieduncan
Airport!

Get a wireless print server (I use a LinkSys parallel port one, but USB ones are available). I have never seen a printer with built in 802.11

Some printers can take a network interface PS and some offer 802.11 capability.

windwaves
Sep 25, 2003, 07:36 PM
thanks for the inputs.

I guess a a wireless print server would be the way to go even though I have no idea how it works.

Also, on Airport Extreme I am curious, just curious since I have the snow base. How does that work for wireless printing ?

crazzyeddie
Sep 25, 2003, 08:09 PM
You people spend alot of extra money!

Mac OS X has a built in print server. Simply setup your printer on one computer, and go into the Sharing panel and enable Printer Sharing. The other Macs should auto-detect it because of Rendezvous!

Soma_Addict
Sep 25, 2003, 08:13 PM
http://www.macnn.com/news/21294

You might want to look into this.

Ramsos
Sep 25, 2003, 08:21 PM
Also, on Airport Extreme I am curious, just curious since I have the snow base. How does that work for wireless printing ?

The airport extreme base station has a built in USB port for wireless printing.

pb1212580
Oct 9, 2003, 07:30 PM
Here's the situation...
talked to apple, they said any printer with USB should work, so I got a Base station (w/o modem)

internet works, printer recognized in Airport Adm. Utility BUT printer not showing up under Rendevouz.

What are the things I can do. I even enabled printer sharing, enabled WAN printing thing, connected everything properly, and CALLED APPLECARE.

Anyway to get around the system so it would see it as "other HP" printer because my printer HP All in one 2175 is not officially listed. I just want it to print... don't care about the other functions; I dont' think they are supported anyways. The guy said it should work... argh!

Help please. Thanks!

LMarie
Oct 9, 2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by windwaves
thanks for the inputs.

I guess a a wireless print server would be the way to go even though I have no idea how it works.

However this requires that you have the computer that the printer is connected to turned on in order to wirelessly print to it. I found the better solution to be to connect the printer to the airport base station. That way I can print to it from either computer and only need the computer I'm using to be turned on.

Rower_CPU
Oct 10, 2003, 01:15 AM
There are very few printers with built-in wireless right now, but they're starting to show up.

hp psc 2510 (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/ho/WF06b/18972-238444-236260-12085-f7-303769-303771-303772.html)

windwaves
Oct 10, 2003, 09:12 AM
YES YES YES !
That is what I want Rower and I don't mind at all its fax capabilities. How hard could that be !! Thanks dude :)

gio

Rower_CPU
Oct 10, 2003, 03:48 PM
You're quite welcome. I've been testing one out and it's a pretty good all-in-one machine.

windwaves
Oct 11, 2003, 07:32 AM
cool, I want one - I don't think they are available yet though. During your tests, did you find any weaknesses ?

iEric
Oct 11, 2003, 12:06 PM
Does the Epson C84's wireless printing work on the mac?

Rower_CPU
Oct 11, 2003, 12:13 PM
One issue I had was with the copying process when trying to enlarge, where it sees the edges of the copying area and includes them in the enlargement.

I also think the OS X drivers could be improved since there's a couple of buggy things it does. For instance, it installs the Times RO font, which causes Safari not to load some pages.

pb1212580
Oct 11, 2003, 12:38 PM
Just to add...

I have a HP PSC All in one 2175 USB printer and it works with the Apple Airport Base station (w/o modem/ant.)

You have to install a couple of things and follow a simple procedure to add the printer.

SHOULD WORK FOR ALL USB PRINTERS. Apple was going to let me return my printer/airport because the Applecare lady couldn't get it to work and just assumed that it won't work because it's not in their TESTED list.

More info on macosxhints.com

Good luck!