Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCPH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Tannhäuser Gate
Hi all,

Ever since I hacked my iPod, I keep getting this warning that I'm running out of space on my device. I haven't got too many things installed, and my device is 16GB (I probably have a little less than 8GB of music, movies and photos on there right now). Is this a known issue? In iTunes, where it shows the amount of space used, is the space taken up by the apps shown (a part of the "other" colour bar maybe)? I think my iPod is wrong (I just put a DVD movie on their yesterday, so I can't have run out of space). Is their a way to get to realize what's going on, or is this a side-effect of hacking. I doubt that these tiny apps can be using up close to 8GB of space. Pressing the "Dismiss" key is a small price to pay for having these apps, I just want to make sure nothing is wrong. Also, I've been turning off SSH to save battery power, does it actually help? I'm curious because other people I know are having their batteries drained very quickly and this might be the answer to their problems.

As always, thanks for the help,

JCPH

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Unfortunately, I think this is a side-effect of hacking the Touch. My 8GB said it's max available capacity was 300+ MB after I hacked it.

Don't know if I'll do it again.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I don't think this was a byproduct of hacking, by any means. My understanding of the iPod Touch/iPhone file system is that the flash memory is divided into two volumes, one 300 MB for apps and the rest for music and videos.

There are additional hacks to get around this limitation by allowing you to place apps in the bigger space. You're basically creating Unix symlinks from the apps volume to the other volume.

LeaverX

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007
Applications are actually stored in a different drive partition and hence that drive can run out of space. A quick google can give a workaround to this problem.

Mr Slippy IV

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Vail, AZ
This usually refers to RAM, and I can personally vouch that it happens quite often with a jailbroken touch. No idea why though.

Sourcegod4hax

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
Well

Well man there is actually lots u can do bcause iPod touches aare amongst the easiest to mess with.... If u r like me u can take the 64gb out of the fourth gen and put it in your third gen iPod with 8gb or fourth gen 8 gig... It's much cheaper than upgrading and it's quite simple to do because u can buy salvaged iPods that don't work and just use the memory card out of them to put in yours... I got my 64 on amazon

Hope u give it a try,

Sir hax alot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.