Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Finally, administrators can maximize support for Windows users by setting up a Windows primary domain controller (PDC) and defining Windows settings for users. The PDC will accept logins for Windows NT 4.x , Windows XP, and Windows 2000 clients. This feature also supports roaming user profiles and Network home directories on Mac OS X Panther Server. It will also include Samba 3 [LINK HERE], the open-source suite, which provides file and print services to SMB/CIFS clients. Windows users will be supported through Samba's file and printer sharing services as well as through other features, such as active directory integration, open directory authentication, WINS and VPN.

Heh, Soon I will be able to recommend OSX servers for my PC clients...

I think Steve's driving goal is to take out ole billy boy. All of his strategy seems focused on it...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It sounds like Macintosh Manager is still a separate application. It should really be integrated into Server Admin.

And I'm sorry to be skeptic but I'll believe that "administrators can easily create a NetBoot or Network install image that mimics an existing system" when I see it. Panther Server netbooting gave us a dozen mysteries or problems, and even with Apple's help we could not get it working properly without using 3rd party applications: Carbon Copy Cloner for netboot image creation and ARDCompanion to handle computer names.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.