PDA

View Full Version : OS X v10.1.4 Update Available

blakespot
Apr 17, 2002, 04:02 PM
Many users have reported that Mac OS X v10.1.4 is now available from Apple. The standard System Preferences / Software Updater drill to get it. Progress!

AlphaTech
Apr 17, 2002, 04:11 PM
I'll confirm this. I just started the download and install of the 10.1.4 update (all 2.2MB of it :) ). Looks like improved hardware support as well as PPP stability among other updates.

Not bad for it's small size :D.

Rower_CPU
Apr 17, 2002, 04:13 PM
So far so good...

iDisk access is MUCH faster, but still lags behind Goliath...

Haven't noticed any other improvements...

britboy
Apr 17, 2002, 04:16 PM
Doesn't seem like a very major update.... could mean that they're holding back a lot of features for an imminent release of 10.2?

Still, an update is an update, and every little helps :)

rainman::|:|
Apr 17, 2002, 04:22 PM
ah, updates are nice. The system seems to be starting up remarkably faster, but that could be the 128 meg extra RAM i just plunked in. Looking forward to the PPP reliability...

true it's a small update, but it's still something :)

pnw

Oh, incidently, when I started up it told me Vanity Dockling might not work anymore... no such problems yet, but it might have to go...

AlphaTech
Apr 17, 2002, 04:24 PM
This could be the last update before 10.2, or paving the way for 10.2 at either WWDC or MWNY.

Another time where good things come in small packages :D

mojobreakfast
Apr 17, 2002, 04:24 PM
This update is a small one (2.2mb).

The new kernel version is 5.4 and sports an April 10th build date.

No problems on my TiBook 667.

Taft
Apr 17, 2002, 04:25 PM
Anyone have a feature list of whats updated in this release?

I can't find one anywhere!

Matthew

D0ct0rteeth
Apr 17, 2002, 04:25 PM
This is what it says:

fairly boring.. but an update nonetheless:

Update 10.1.4 delivers improved networking, security, and additional disc recording device support. Specific enhancements include:

Disc Recording Devices:
Updated and new support for Fast 10 SCSI drives, including the Pioneer 201 drive.
Expanded support for SmartDisk, EZQuest, and LaCie disc recording devices.

Networking Improvements:
Dial-up connections over PPP are more reliable and system responsiveness has been improved.
Significant improvement to file searching on local and remote volumes.
Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) services can be browsed on networks with 3Com routers.

Security Update:
BSD-based TCP/IP connections now check and block broadcast or multicast IP destination addresses.

Falleron
Apr 17, 2002, 04:27 PM
If it fixes my dialup problems then I will be very happy!! So far so good.

eyelikeart
Apr 17, 2002, 04:35 PM
damn...this always happens when I'm at work and my TiBook is nowhere near me...

it's ok...I'll check it out tonite...

anyone see any other significant improvements??

Billicus
Apr 17, 2002, 05:41 PM
Does this in anyway replace the AppleSCCSerial.kext inside the /System/Extensions folder? If it does, this could be the PPP solution, but I don't want to disturb the kernal extension replacement (which works like a dream) that I set there to stop my dial - up hang. Can anyone verify what I'm talking about? aka is the version number on AppleSCCSerial.kext different from 1.2.1? Thanks in advance.

maclamb
Apr 17, 2002, 05:56 PM
My mouse (cursor) disappears when I click on a classic app.
Have tried this with Phototshop and Lotus Notes.

All working fine under 10.1.3

Now mouse is gone.
Anyone have similar problem?

ejm625
Apr 17, 2002, 06:13 PM
Dude ditch classic already! I agree, it seems slightly faster at bootup.

Synk
Apr 17, 2002, 06:15 PM
GRRRR this makes me really mad.. I download the os update and I get a update to IE 5.1 a "security" update they say ... lo and behold my browser crashes every time I go to my bank and it goes to run an ASP command.. now I cannot access my account any more .. thanks a lot bill..

on the apple side however everything looks just dandy ..

Mr. Anderson
Apr 17, 2002, 06:33 PM
Its nice to see that some rumors turn out to be fact. Putting on my TiPB now!

Choppaface
Apr 17, 2002, 06:38 PM
grrrrr! it changed the ownership of my apps folder >_<
i had to change it back so I could run seti via the terminal

robotrenegade
Apr 17, 2002, 06:41 PM
""My mouse (cursor) disappears when I click on a classic app.

Now mouse is gone.
Anyone have similar problem?""

I have seen this too. But, stop using classic. I just got Photo Shop 7.0 and it rocks. It has to be the best update in any software. The only update I really need now is Dreamweaver MX and Director MX.

Beej
Apr 17, 2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by maclamb
My mouse (cursor) disappears when I click on a classic app.

Now mouse is gone.
Anyone have similar problem? Nope, everything works fine under classic for me.

I think this update was probably unplanned. I'd say they were hoping to have 10.2 ready for the 12 month anniversary but since it will be so long, they've given us a tiny update to keep us happy until 10.2.

I remember the good ol' days back when there was an update every other week. (Way back 12 months ago!)

King Cobra
Apr 17, 2002, 08:14 PM
I knew it. The update was going to fix dial-up problems.

I will try out 10.1.4 when Apple posts the Combo Update on their website. That way, I don't need to update another G4 system to 10.1.1, then 10.1.2, then 10.1.3, then 10.1.4 :)

Although it will fix my dial-up problems, it won't make the hefty download (probably 40MB) go much faster.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

Billicus
Apr 17, 2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Billicus
Does this in anyway replace the AppleSCCSerial.kext inside the /System/Extensions folder? If it does, this could be the PPP solution, but I don't want to disturb the kernal extension replacement (which works like a dream) that I set there to stop my dial - up hang. Can anyone verify what I'm talking about? aka is the version number on AppleSCCSerial.kext different from 1.2.1? Thanks in advance.

I said thanks in advance because I figured someone with 10.1.4 would check. Please, would someone check for me?

King Cobra
Apr 17, 2002, 08:29 PM
madamimadamtimallen, I have the .bin file version of the Combo Update to 10.1.3, and it is 38.4MB. Considering that things are nice and compressed with .sit and .bin files the extra 2.2MB with 10.1.4 alone may only be, maybe, 1.8 or 1.9MB. So that total will come out to be a little more than 40 for the .bin file.

I don't usually save the .dmg files. They are too large. I save the .bin.

madamimadam
Apr 17, 2002, 08:34 PM

I said thanks in advance because I figured someone with 10.1.4 would check. Please, would someone check for me?

I did not know what you were talking about but, after opening the System Extensions there is the file "AppleSCCSerial.kext".

It's version number is now 1.2.2

madamimadam
Apr 17, 2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
madamimadamtimallen, I have the .bin file version of the Combo Update to 10.1.3, and it is 38.4MB. Considering that things are nice and compressed with .sit and .bin files the extra 2.2MB with 10.1.4 alone may only be, maybe, 1.8 or 1.9MB. So that total will come out to be a little more than 40 for the .bin file.

I don't usually save the .dmg files. They are too large. I save the .bin.

My appologies, I use the software update.... then again, why are squirming over 2Mb here and 3Mb there out of 40Mb, let's be a little more grown up... I have retracted my earlier comments.

Screamingbeaver
Apr 17, 2002, 08:36 PM
It's fine on my Pismo PowerBook. Has anyone else had this problem...When I launch a classic app, typically Photoshop, the menus are gone. Nothing there. I have to quit and relaunch and then everythings okay. I can't figure out if, when or why, or if I'm doin' something at the time it happens. It still happens with 10.1.4

Yeah, I know, I should get Photoshop 7.....I've gotta convince my wife first.

Billicus
Apr 17, 2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen

I did not know what you were talking about but, after opening the System Extensions there is the file "AppleSCCSerial.kext".

It's version number is now 1.2.2

I was referring to the kernal extension responsible for dial-up connections on my iMac. I downloaded a beta .kext (kernal extension) which fixed my dialup hang. Apparantly apple included the .kext in this version, because the version I have is currently 1.2.2. I thank you for your effort. Have a great day! Now I can download 10.1.4 safely. ( By safely I mean this: I won't have to mess with Terminal to restore my internet connect peacefullness)

AlphaTech
Apr 17, 2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Screamingbeaver
It's fine on my Pismo PowerBook. Has anyone else had this problem...When I launch a classic app, typically Photoshop, the menus are gone. Nothing there. I have to quit and relaunch and then everythings okay. I can't figure out if, when or why, or if I'm doin' something at the time it happens. It still happens with 10.1.4

Yeah, I know, I should get Photoshop 7.....I've gotta convince my wife first.

That seems to be a common issue when using PS6 within Classic. Yet another reason to do away with Classic, and just go full bore OS X. Especially since PS7 is shipping.

madamimadam
Apr 17, 2002, 08:53 PM

I was referring to the kernal extension responsible for dial-up connections on my iMac. I downloaded a beta .kext (kernal extension) which fixed my dialup hang. Apparantly apple included the .kext in this version, because the version I have is currently 1.2.2. I thank you for your effort. Have a great day! Now I can download 10.1.4 safely. ( By safely I mean this: I won't have to mess with Terminal to restore my internet connect peacefullness)

Well, for your sake, I hope so.... I just wish I could confirm that for you.

I just upgraded our web server to 10.1.4 which meant doing the 10.1.3 update as well. I wanted the update for SMTP and so forth but after upgrading to 10.1.3 my filemaker 4 will no longer work under classic and I had to boot back into OS 9
:(

I am also running 9.1 and would like to upgrade to 9.2 but when I set up the server I forgot to leave enough space on the OS 9 system partition to do upgrades and am going to have to have to back up the machine tonight and reformat it and do the installations again.
:(

Mr. Anderson
Apr 17, 2002, 09:26 PM
I've done the upgrade and most things seem to be ok. I also upgraded my Lightwave to 7.0b and between the two I'm getting excellent results on the OpenGL issue I was having. I'm thinking it was the Lightwave upgrade, not OSX that did the trick, but I'm not sure.

However, I have noticed that IE is acting a little off. Some of the images don't work correctly and the page blanks out when loading a new page sometimes. Anyone else having these problems?

Choppaface
Apr 17, 2002, 10:23 PM
i just updated my powerbook

its a little bit quicker, and a little more stabile (open source wireless driver was making system prefs crash a lot)

it took like 30 minutes to install though :|
all that optimization stuff

using software update, it had to update to 10.1.3 combo before 10.1.4+ security updates etc

Xapplimatic
Apr 17, 2002, 10:53 PM

Must be your Classic is corrupted. I didn't have trouble with Photoshop loosing the mouse or the menus with 10.1.3 or now under 10.1.4.. Try reinstalling your system 9.2..

Geert
Apr 18, 2002, 12:09 AM
Installing while I read the thread:D

After restart browsing in the finder is remarkebly faster.
I haven't tried other stuff yet, I'll get to that if I'm back at the Mac.

j763
Apr 18, 2002, 01:14 AM
Apple have stuffed up the link to the 10.1.4 download on their http://www.apple.com/swupdates page... grrr...last time I downloaded an os update via the prefpane, it up my ibook and i had to reinstall osx...

Apr 18, 2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
However, I have noticed that IE is acting a little off. Some of the images don't work correctly and the page blanks out when loading a new page sometimes. Anyone else having these problems?

I've been having these problems regularly since... upgrading to 10.1.3? or perhaps an IE update around that time. Another problem i have is that the text in the Address bar appears highlighted, but isn't, or appears half-highlighted... There are other problems but these are the most annoying...

I do wish M$ would just give us 6 already, even if it's minor enhancements and these bug fixes. I'm not a picky user: I don't do extensive Java work, don't use or need Autocomplete, Auctionwatch, or half the other stuff that I wind up ignoring anyway. But basic functionality should be there... After this page-blanking thing happens to you for a while, you'll be quite perturbed as well.
:)
pnw

alex_ant
Apr 18, 2002, 01:19 AM
10.1.3 made my rev B PBG4 stop going to sleep properly about 30% of the time - a real bugger in me loo. No matter how I put it to sleep (closing the lid, pressing the power button and choosing "sleep", or choosing sleep from the Apple menu), the screen would turn off and the hard disk would spin down but the fan would remain on and the sleep light wouldn't come on. I couldn't be woken up; I had to turn it off and back on. ANYWAY, 10.1.4 seems to have fixed this, if anyone else out there has had this problem. I've put it to sleep 10 times and each time it has gone to sleep and woken up properly. Yippee!

Alex

pavao
Apr 18, 2002, 06:53 AM
I also installed the unofficial serial kext that has been available on the net. After installing 10.1.4, the version of AppleSCCSerial.kext that was installed was 1.2.2. The same as the unofficial one that I had been using for some time. However, this one is much smaller (100kb) and doesn't output lots of useless information (for me, anyway) to the log files. So, yes, the issue is officially resolved and the upgrade includes the final 1.2.2 version of this kext.

I have also been getting some occasional crashes when I put my iBook to sleep. I had about two or three for the last 3 or 4 weeks. The screen goes black but the hard disk doesn't spin down and the sleep led doesn't pulse. It is totally unresponsive and I have to force reboot. I hope 10.1.4 fixes this. :-/

rugby
Apr 18, 2002, 07:55 AM
this is not the last update before 10.2

Geert
Apr 18, 2002, 08:37 AM
Overal performance is better.
switching apps is faster, and finder browsing is really, really faster.
No problems with classic apps.

One minus is that since I updated IE (yesterday) IE seems slower, loads pages slower etc.. (looks like IE chokes everytime it loads a page) and that it not because of the 10.1.4 update, because I experienced this yesterday as well

eyelikeart
Apr 18, 2002, 09:14 AM
so far I haven't really seen anything significant....maybe the startup is a bit quicker...

but personally....I think 10.2 is where it's at ;)

OSeXy!
Apr 18, 2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by rugby

Care to elaborate, Rugby?

Geert
Apr 18, 2002, 10:42 AM
I think the improvements have something to do with memory usage by the system.
I switch Apps like really fast now, Apple-tab and hop instantly I have the window of the other app in front of me.
Why I think it has something to do with how the system uses it's memory, simple: most of you guys report that no radical speed bumps are seen, I think that is because you have got lot's of RAM, 128MB in mine, and whoops what a responsiveness.

merman637
Apr 18, 2002, 11:08 AM
I agree Ive only got 512mb and system seems muchMUCH faster also im watching my memory monitor and it seems to actually have free memory now....before itunes and cpumonitor and photoshop would max me out and sometimes made for long delays....btw I'm on a Dual 800 so im pretty sure processing wasnt causing the delays!!!
even if noone agrees IM convinced that memory management has been greatly upgraded...i use quark 4.1 and sometimes have an error saving (cannot find disk?) and used to have problems importing pics(classic locks up)....hasnt happened in past week or 2 thought!:-)
Startup also has (i would say) been cut to about 2/3 time......Good Job APPLE!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Anderson
Apr 18, 2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by rugby

Ok, you got some proof to back this up, or are you just speculating. If we do see a preview of OSX.2 at WWDC - which we've been promised, I would imagine that it wouldn't be that far off from being delivered. Why would they do a small step in between, unless there are some bugs or other issues that need to be resolved by then. But it would be bad press to demo a bigger upgrade and then throw in some small steps till the big one comes out.

Catfish_Man
Apr 18, 2002, 12:09 PM
1) The only thing 10.1.4 speeds up a ***lot*** is Sherlock
2) The problem with the disappearing menus happens on my machine too. It only happens when the app is in the background while launching, so just leave it in the foreground.

groov'
Apr 18, 2002, 02:48 PM
I updated on my G4-400.

what I noticed thus far:

- overall performance is worse, lot of spinning beachballs; startup is slower, logout and shutdown takes ages
- limewire doesn't work anymore; after start up it 'unexpectedly' quits
- dragthing keeps asking for serials at every start up, after filling out the whole **** every time
- msWORD is a crime, especially saving and altering preferences, unless you like beachballs
- IE 5(.1.4) is even more unstable than it was

Fortunately I go on a 2 weeks holiday tomorrow, so I hope there is a new update ready when I come back.

rugby
Apr 18, 2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by OSeXy!

Care to elaborate, Rugby?

Sure, there's a thread over at macnn's forums containing some of the readme for 10.1.5
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=46&t=005414

Granted, his 10.1.4 info was way off, but since those items he lists weren't in the readme for 10.1.4, then they probably are from 10.1.5.

elmimmo
Apr 18, 2002, 05:14 PM
When I launch a classic app, typically Photoshop, the menus are gone.
Originally posted by AlphaTech
That seems to be a common issue when using PS6 within Classic.

Easy solution. First start manually Classic StartUp. Then Photoshop. Uncomfortable, but you'll get your menus. I only need to do this with PS. No other Classic app gives me the problem

mac15
Apr 18, 2002, 06:08 PM
it boots a litte faster and you can feel the difference in the finder it a little quicker
But its nothing special cause they are holding out for 10.2

G4scott
Apr 18, 2002, 06:44 PM
I have a question? After every update, people say that their mac runs faster. Is this an actual change in the code from Apple, or is it just the optimizing process that it does after installing? Also, is this optimizing doing what those little programs that would clean up you system do? (prebinding, i think is what's it called). It's nice that everyone's system runs fatser, but for a 2mb update, i'm not sure if it was an actual change in the system's code that makes it run faster...

AlphaTech
Apr 18, 2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by elmimmo

Easy solution. First start manually Classic StartUp. Then Photoshop. Uncomfortable, but you'll get your menus. I only need to do this with PS. No other Classic app gives me the problem

Tried that when I still had OS 9.x/Classic mode on my TiBook. I never had classic startup on it's own, only when I told it to. So that fix is not universal.

dualburn001
Apr 18, 2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by groov'
I updated on my G4-400.

what I noticed thus far:

- overall performance is worse, lot of spinning beachballs; startup is slower, logout and shutdown takes ages
- limewire doesn't work anymore; after start up it 'unexpectedly' quits
- dragthing keeps asking for serials at every start up, after filling out the whole **** every time
- msWORD is a crime, especially saving and altering preferences, unless you like beachballs
- IE 5(.1.4) is even more unstable than it was

Fortunately I go on a 2 weeks holiday tomorrow, so I hope there is a new update ready when I come back.

reinstall limewire because I did the update and mine is working fine

mac15
Apr 18, 2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
I have a question? After every update, people say that their mac runs faster. Is this an actual change in the code from Apple, or is it just the optimizing process that it does after installing? Also, is this optimizing doing what those little programs that would clean up you system do? (prebinding, i think is what's it called). It's nice that everyone's system runs fatser, but for a 2mb update, i'm not sure if it was an actual change in the system's code that makes it run faster...

yep every version apple optimises it
they have to
remember it only version #.1.4
so It has a long way to go

edenwaith
Apr 18, 2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by merman637
Ive only got 512mb ...

Startup also has (i would say) been cut to about 2/3 time......Good Job APPLE!!!!!!!!!

ONLY 512 MB? Ah, too bad! And to think I settled for 32 and 64 MB on mycomputers for 5 years! Even now I have 'only' 320 MB. Seems to work great for me, but then, I'm not working with 100 MB sized images either.

I tested the startup time on my 500 MHz iBook, and it took about 93 seconds to get to the login screen. After a reboot into 10.1.4, it took about 89 seconds. If that is the 'speed' boost, it is certainly nothing that noticable. I've heard that BeOS could start up in 15 or 20 seconds. Now THAT will be cool when/if computers are able to start up in just 15-30 seconds.

alex_ant
Apr 18, 2002, 08:57 PM
I'm not a Mac weenie, but personally I don't care if the computer takes 8 friggin' minutes to boot up as long as once it's running I can put it to sleep whenever I would otherwise shut it off, and as long as it never crashes. Thankfully, OS X fulfills both of those for me...

Alex

AlphaTech
Apr 18, 2002, 09:06 PM
For m$ word issues (especially when saving) turn OFF ALL the fast save and autosave recover features. Even turn off background saving. All of those have been known to cause longer save times as well as file corruption. I would also turn of the WYSIWYG font feature, to give it a bit better performance. All of those can be found under the word menu, preferences selection.

G4scott
Apr 18, 2002, 09:56 PM
is blakespot's avatar suppoused to be animated?
I think it was before, but I can't seem to remember. Someone had an animated 'atom' avatar, and i think that was it, but it isn't animated on my browser.

Maybe it's IE 5.1.4?

If so, then m$ can go FIITA (e-mail me if you want to know what "FIITA" means, or send me a message)

I'm sick and tired of m$ crap not working...

But if blakespot's avatar isn't animated, then m$ can still go FIITA because IE sucks. I think i'm going to switch browsers.

OmniWeb is looking very attractive...

Macette
Apr 19, 2002, 12:26 AM
All this dithering about 4 SECOND SPEED INCREASES and MORE CD BURNER SUPPORT is a yawn. I can't believe we (and I'm including myself here) haven't YELLED about some of the RUBBISH that OS X puts us through. Stuff that should have been fully ironed out before X hit the shelves. Sherlock SUCKS - it runs about a million times faster in 9.x, and doesn't respond well to being stopped. Spring-loaded folders are an absolute necessity in a Finder navigation system that uses single windows by default. Stickies STILL looks crap. I don't know if this is a problem anybody else has encountered, but when my Internet connection drops out for whatever reason, the Internet Connect dialog DOESN'T NOTICE, and appears to be still connected. Where are LABELS? Why did they take away the notice in the Empty Trash dialogue that tells you how much you're trashing? Why can't you find out how many items are in a folder without COUNTING THEM?

It's not like these are innovations, they're useful components of the OLD operating system that absolutely should have been included from the word GO with X. The fact that they're going to make us PAY for 10.2 (or at least, I'm pretty certain that they will), and that we're all going to go out there and PAY because at the moment the whole thing isn't perfect and it annoys us, is unbelievably disrespectful. I am an Apple nut, i've been a devoted and loyal follower for nearly 20 years, and there are lots of people out there like me. How about they start looking after us a bit better, and making us scrabble for tiny, tiny crumbs like this latest OS update?

Sorry about this rant. I know I'm only a baby-Macrumorist. But some of this stuff makes me kinda mad.

:mad:

Dunepilot
Apr 19, 2002, 03:43 AM
I understand all of your frustration Macette.

maybe someone should start a petition for Apple to get these features back into the OS (if this hasn't been done already).

The baby was thrown out with the bathwater when Apple moved to OS X.

Until spring-loaded folders are back in, I'm sticking with 9.2

G4scott
Apr 19, 2002, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Macette
...Why can't you find out how many items are in a folder without COUNTING THEM?...
:mad:

You can set the Finder to count the items in a folder. In the Finder, click on the "View" menu, and select "Show Status Bar"

I do understand your complaints about other parts of the system. Apple needs to get on the ball! I'm waiting for 10.2...

j763
Apr 19, 2002, 09:22 AM
Apple will not charge for 10.2...

gopher
Apr 19, 2002, 11:27 AM
I went into a Finder list view, and a 92 item folder might usually take 5 to 7 seconds to list. Now takes only a second with 10.1.4. This on a Flat Panel iMac G4 800. And yes I've run update prebinding which improves speed in other areas every so often. But not as much as 10.1.4 did. Then again having 768 MB of RAM may have something to do with it.

By the way, if you want to know of ways to speed up Mac OS X, visit http://www.macmaps.com/Macosxspeed.html

blakespot
Apr 19, 2002, 01:02 PM
is blakespot's avatar suppoused to be animated?
I think it was before, but I can't seem to remember. Someone had an animated 'atom' avatar, and i think that was it, but it isn't animated on my browser.

Maybe it's IE 5.1.4?

My avatar is not animated.

And it happens to be the image I chose for 3-4" tattoo on my left leg, above the knee. It is the celtic tree of life, though it is probably more druidic than celtic, in reality.

blakespot

Apr 20, 2002, 12:59 AM
Okay, just random thoughts in reply to the thread:

Blakespot, that's a cool tattoo :) It'd be interesting to see a Macs & Tattoos forum, again not really relevant to computers but a good "get to know you" thread. I have a cute little lizard on my right ankle. His name is Roger.

What does updating prebindings actually do? I've got several utilities that do this, and it sure takes long enough... I don't know if I actually notice a speed increase, but it's the thought that counts... i don't know what a prebinding is :(

As for OSX problems... Sherlock does bite the big one, i wish you could turn off indexing... in 9, you could just disable the FBC Indexing extension. I've stopped using Sherlock unless forced to, it's just too much of a pain. Searches take minutes instead of seconds and are next to impossible to stop.

Spring loaded folders would be nice. I keep trying to use them, and getting pissed when it doesn't work. I'm confident it will be in a future revision tho. I hope.

Apple won't charge for 10.2? I had assumed they would. Does anyone know more one way or the other? I don't even know how much those things cost, when I upgraded to X, 10.1 came in the box...

:D
pnw

Macette
Apr 20, 2002, 02:09 AM

You can set the Finder to count the items in a folder. In the Finder, click on the "View" menu, and select "Show Status Bar"

I do understand your complaints about other parts of the system. Apple needs to get on the ball! I'm waiting for 10.2...

Thank you G4scott. I am a happier Macette now.
xx

gopher
Apr 20, 2002, 07:35 AM
Go to Sherlock menu in Sherlock, and select preferences. Uncheck the two checkboxes there.

If updating prebinding doesn't work for you, you may want to partition and reinstall after copying everything over to a backup. Putting Mac OS X on a 60
GB hard drive is much slower than putting it on a 25 GB partition. The amount of disk seeking that takes place for the swap file is much less when the partition is much smaller.

Originally posted by paulwhannel
Okay, just random thoughts in reply to the thread:

Blakespot, that's a cool tattoo :) It'd be interesting to see a Macs & Tattoos forum, again not really relevant to computers but a good "get to know you" thread. I have a cute little lizard on my right ankle. His name is Roger.

What does updating prebindings actually do? I've got several utilities that do this, and it sure takes long enough... I don't know if I actually notice a speed increase, but it's the thought that counts... i don't know what a prebinding is :(

As for OSX problems... Sherlock does bite the big one, i wish you could turn off indexing... in 9, you could just disable the FBC Indexing extension. I've stopped using Sherlock unless forced to, it's just too much of a pain. Searches take minutes instead of seconds and are next to impossible to stop.

Spring loaded folders would be nice. I keep trying to use them, and getting pissed when it doesn't work. I'm confident it will be in a future revision tho. I hope.

Apple won't charge for 10.2? I had assumed they would. Does anyone know more one way or the other? I don't even know how much those things cost, when I upgraded to X, 10.1 came in the box...

:D
pnw

ooartist
Apr 20, 2002, 12:32 PM
I tried to get the update and the OS updater util keeps telling me
that it can not connect to the internet? I have internet connection
or I would not be able to type this now. What's the deal? Are any
of you guys getting this? I went to Apples support site and downloaded
it and installed it manually. But I would like to get the IE update if I could.

Please let me know if you are having the same problem.

ooartist

Apr 20, 2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by ooartist
Please let me know if you are having the same problem.

I've heard a few others having this problem... Last night, SW update didn't check as it usually does at midnight, so I did it manually, and could not get it to work... Tried for a half hour, nothing. I'm on dialup.

But this morning SW update started automatically and was it's usual chipper self, trying to get me to download Airport 2 once again :)

pnw

G4scott
Apr 20, 2002, 08:06 PM
Ok, I thought I saw an avatar that looked something like that, and I wasn't sure if that was it, and IE was messing with it.

miscrosoft still can go FIITA though...

elmimmo
Apr 23, 2002, 02:55 AM
AlphaTech said:
Tried that when I still had OS 9.x/Classic mode on my TiBook. I never had classic startup on it's own, only when I told it to. So that fix is not universal.

The way I did it was clicka Classic app, and when the ClassicStartup icon began to bounce in the Dock I ctrl-clicked it and chose "Show in Finder". A window opened showing me the ClassicStartup icon. If I doubledclick that icon afterwards Classic environment starts up without having to open Photoshop or whatever other thing with it.

Maybe I misunderstood you and you knew where ClassicStartup is, only that it does not starts the classic environment for you (which I guess is weird, but I am not techy enough to know why).