PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs To Give Macworld 2008 Keynote

MacRumors
Dec 3, 2007, 02:48 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

As if there was any doubt, IDG World Expo announced today (via Macworld) that Steve Jobs will be giving the keynote (http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/12/03/jobskeynote/index.php) at Macworld 2008.

The keynote address will occur on Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2008 at 9:00 AM PST in Moscone West at San Francisco’s Moscone Convention Center.

For those attending Macworld, MacRumors members are arranging a meetup (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=358811). Of course, for those unable to attend, MacRumors will provide live coverage of the keynote via MacRumorsLive, with continued coverage from the show floor throughout the conference.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/03/steve-jobs-to-give-macworld-2008-keynote/)

psychofreak
Dec 3, 2007, 02:49 PM
Hardly a big surprise...my countdown widget is getting me excited though...

brad.c
Dec 3, 2007, 02:50 PM
Oh, darn. I wanted to do it. I even have the black turtleneck, although it is sleeveless.

gkarris
Dec 3, 2007, 02:53 PM
What kind of new machines will we get?

queshy
January 15th! That's forever from now!!!!

So, how many of you are staying home from work to watch? Or are you going to be watching at work?

earthsick
sigh...43 days until my powerbook g4 gets retired...

Icarus73
come on....say SOMETHING about updating the iMac!!!!

psychofreak
Dec 3, 2007, 02:55 PM

My guess is a new MBP, at least that's what I told my friend who wants to switch...

sparkyms
Dec 3, 2007, 02:56 PM

maybe its time for powerbook G5? ;)

Eidorian
Dec 3, 2007, 02:56 PM
As if we didn't know this was going to happen. :rolleyes:

kingtj
Dec 3, 2007, 02:57 PM
More like, read the text-based summaries as they scroll by, since Apple won't do a live streaming video of the event anymore. :(

I'm sure I'll watch the keynote later that evening or the next day, when I get time.... but it sucks finding everything out initially, based on some quickly typed info from a member of the audience, sending it out.

olliebraves20
Dec 3, 2007, 02:58 PM

So, how many of you are staying home from work to watch? Or are you going to be watching at work?

I will for sure be watching from work. I will bring it up on the dual monitor I have hooked up...guess I will have to just work off of one monitor that day....

Westside guy
Dec 3, 2007, 03:01 PM
Thank goodness - the suspense was killing me!

Here's one hopeful vote that we'll see Aperture 2.0...

alana22
Dec 3, 2007, 03:03 PM
They'll have to update the form factor of the Macbook and MBP, I would think. The white plastic especially.

I'm going to hold my breath for an aluminum ultraportable, because that would rock.

Eidorian
Dec 3, 2007, 03:04 PM
Do we have a Keynote countdown widget yet?

That or can we just reuse one...

Blaine
Dec 3, 2007, 03:06 PM
Anyone have a countdown gadget for vista? :o

daddywags214
Dec 3, 2007, 03:07 PM
Oh MAN, Jobs? Anyone but him . . . ;)
:apple:

ghall
Dec 3, 2007, 03:08 PM
In other news, water is wet, and paper is made from trees.

chr1s60
Dec 3, 2007, 03:09 PM
I wonder what Apple has in store for us. I am excited, but I am highly doubting an announcement that can top the excitement and hype that was involved with the iPhone announcement. It would be nice if they could do it again though.

ivan1234
Dec 3, 2007, 03:12 PM
good news, i like it best when steve presents. :D

pavelbure
Dec 3, 2007, 03:12 PM

have you been under a rock ? the imac was just updated 4 months ago, it most likely will not see a update until spring when the penny processors are available.

spazattack674
Dec 3, 2007, 03:15 PM
I wonder what Apple has in store for us. I am excited, but I am highly doubting an announcement that can top the excitement and hype that was involved with the iPhone announcement. It would be nice if they could do it again though.

3G iPhone? ;) :D

psychofreak
Dec 3, 2007, 03:15 PM
I hope its not one of those conferences where SJ gets off the stage to let others introduce things...

tyrnight
Dec 3, 2007, 03:21 PM
I just hope an announcement for new Mac Pro Hardware is included, Im waiting to buy mine until the new Penryn Xeons are available at Apple.

naroola
Dec 3, 2007, 03:22 PM
I think Steve's going to announce a final release of Safari for Windows and it'll be snappier! :D

psychofreak
Dec 3, 2007, 03:24 PM
I think Steve's going to announce a final release of Safari for Windows and it'll be snappier! :D

Maybe it will be released on the day, I doubt it will be properly announced...

ClassicMac247
Dec 3, 2007, 03:24 PM
cant wait!!!

pederg
Dec 3, 2007, 03:25 PM

the irony ;)

iPhil
Dec 3, 2007, 03:29 PM
Do we have a Keynote countdown widget yet?

That or can we just reuse one...

I'm using this one (http://www.fairmedia.nl/MWSF2008/) .. :o

Or this one (http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/information/mwsf2008countdownwidget.html)

phytonix
Dec 3, 2007, 03:29 PM
PowerBook Cell is coming.

psychofreak
Dec 3, 2007, 03:31 PM
I'm using this one (http://www.fairmedia.nl/MWSF2008/) .. :o

I can't choose which one to use...

http://tangerine.quickshareit.com/share/picture18401e.png

twoodcc
Dec 3, 2007, 03:38 PM
well not a surprise, but glad to hear it confirmed. and can't wait :apple:

Cuyahoga
Dec 3, 2007, 03:40 PM
I have a terrible time keeping up with these things (yes, even with the MR's buyer's guide). Correct me if I'm wrong, but for existing hardware updates, is this the general consensus:

Mac Pro - Yes
Cinema Displays - Probably
iMac - Probably not
MPB - Probably not
MB - No
Mini - Who knows

Am I missing something--I can't see Apple having a "Mac Pro" show (even though it's about fricking time).

SciTeach
Dec 3, 2007, 03:47 PM

I knew someone would mention it......

teleromeo
Dec 3, 2007, 03:48 PM
I'm saving money for a macpro and a good display, so bring it to me

MacsRgr8
Dec 3, 2007, 03:51 PM

One HUGE advantage of living east-side of the big pond... ;)

I get to follow this after work, and with a pizza!

theheyes
Dec 3, 2007, 03:52 PM
Meh, its news but whatever happens some of it will be good, some not so good and there'll be a whole lot of whining afterwards.

aswitcher
Dec 3, 2007, 03:52 PM
Looking good for ultraportable MBP

darthraige
Dec 3, 2007, 03:55 PM

Yea right, there is no way the iMac is getting updated at this event. We all thought the MacPro was due for the update in August. iMac stole those dreams. The iMac will not get updated at MacWorld 08.

Clive At Five
Dec 3, 2007, 03:56 PM
TBaggins on AppleInsider said it best:

If I was there for the keynote, I'd throw a minitower case up on stage, and yell, "FILL IT, Steve!!!". [:D]

Right on, man. Clive needs an xMac for xmas.

-Clive

stompy
Dec 3, 2007, 03:56 PM
I can't choose which one to use...

http://tangerine.quickshareit.com/share/picture18401e.png

Use the second one, you'll have to wait 9 hours longer if you go by the first one. :p (yes, you probably realized that, I didn't notice at first glance.)

gkarris
Dec 3, 2007, 03:57 PM
Apple will leave the hardware business and introduce iWork, iLife, and OS X for PC Intel/AMD platforms... :eek:

MattJessop
Dec 3, 2007, 04:05 PM
Anybody else notice that as soon as they announced this, Safari felt snappier?

On a less serious note though, I'm pretty sure either the new Macbook/subnotebook MBP/Mac tablet, or whatever it actually turns out to be will be announced here.

Heck, it could even be a brand spanking new Mac mini. :) Yeah right.

Brianstorm91
Dec 3, 2007, 04:11 PM
Steve Jobs to conduct the keynote

Wow, we're really scraping the barrel for news aren't we?

aljawad
Dec 3, 2007, 04:13 PM
As if we didn't know His Steve-ness was going to deliver the keynote :p

I'm going to attend - my first MWSF!!:D

What I'm hoping for: Aperture 2.0, and an ultra portable of some sort: either a MB(P) or tablet, ... new kinda of product altogether?? :confused: Suppose Apple releases a Mac-Tablet (MB Touch?) that goes with the BT Keyboard ?? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, no matter what its exciting, can't wait, ... 'tis the happiest time of the year :D

philgilder
Dec 3, 2007, 04:25 PM
i think quite a lot of it will be devoted to the iphone SDK
its a pretty big thing, i guess a lot of people will be waiting for it
that, and a macbook touch or whatever its called

crossifixio
Added to my iCal calendar from mail. Such a cool feature. Loving Leopard :D

iProd
WOW!!! This came right of of left field!!!

Mal
Dec 3, 2007, 04:31 PM
They'll have to update the form factor of the Macbook and MBP, I would think. The white plastic especially.

I'm going to hold my breath for an aluminum ultraportable, because that would rock.

Why would they have to update the Macbook? It's how old?

I like the white plastic, and I doubt it's going away just yet, though with the iMac move it's possible. The Macbooks aren't terribly in need of an update, though the MBP is fairly likely I would think. Mac Pro's, if not updated before then, are possible, and either the final end of the Mac Mini or an update, probably beyond just a speed bump. It's kinda going stale.

Then of course there's the usual, iLife and iWork, except they're already '08, so actually probably nothing new there. Perhaps there will be something altogether new, however, either hardware or software. I'm actually expecting something from left field, though obviously this particular announcement wasn't it. ;)

jW

NewbieNerd
Dec 3, 2007, 04:32 PM
Heck, it could even be a brand spanking new Mac mini. :) Yeah right.

Hey man, don't bring me down. :D I am a strange one in the market for a Mini, Macbook Pro, iMac, and Mac Pro, probably in that order, all within the next 6-12 months, so I'm really hoping our precious mini does not get crapped on again, hehe.

Virgil-TB2
Dec 3, 2007, 04:37 PM
I hope its not one of those conferences where SJ gets off the stage to let others introduce things...My recollection is that when they announce the presence of the Steve this far ahead of the event, that this is kind of like letting everyone know that this MacWorld will be one of the "big ones" with some significant ***** to announce.

My guess would be that (if they are not announced before Christmas), Apple will definitely announce:

- iPhone 2.0
- MacBook nano
- new MacPro
- new AppleTV

and possibly announce:

- iPhone nano
- xMac
- tabletMac
- new MacBooks

and that's just a fair guess on the hardware only.

adamfishercox
Dec 3, 2007, 04:39 PM
And... boom.

harrisone23
Dec 3, 2007, 04:47 PM
The penryn processors are being released in JAN not spring . I hope they'll announce a new mbp, mb, 3g iPhone , and new laptop(ultra ~ portable)

suneohair
Dec 3, 2007, 04:58 PM
The penryn processors are being released in JAN not spring . I hope they'll announce a new mbp, mb, 3g iPhone , and new laptop(ultra ~ portable)

Yes. If the Xeon Penryns are any indication, you won't be getting them in January. I doubt production has even begun to ramp up on the mobile Penryns yet. My guess:

Mac Pro
AppleTV
Ultra Portable

iPhone... nothing.
Macbook Pro. Nothing.
Macbook? Forget it.
iMac. Nope.

p0intblank
Dec 3, 2007, 05:00 PM
It's always good to see this confirmed. :)

But I have to ask... who the hell voted this negative???

queshy
Dec 3, 2007, 05:02 PM
Here is what we might see (in no particular order...)

-iPhone in other countries
-AppleTV update
-New Mac Pros
-New Cinema Displays

Certainly no iPod updates...
Certainly no iMac updates...
Certainly no Macbook updates...
Possibly MacBook Pro updates.

Jetson
Dec 3, 2007, 05:02 PM
If there's a new iPod Touch in the works, I'd be interested.

Looking for more storage (32GB or more), maybe a 5 megapixel camera, an external speaker.

:)

naroola
Dec 3, 2007, 05:03 PM
I don't think the iPhone 2.0 nor the iPhone nano will be announced just yet. If they do, Apple will have to wait for 4-5 months for FCC approval and nobody will buy the current iPhones during that time, which will hinder Apple's goal of meeting 10 million units in sales by end of 2008.

Also, people in Europe will be very, very upset if that happens, considering they just got the iPhone out there. I think they will announce an option to buy an iPhone unlocked, and/or possibly one with more memory 12GB or 16GB maybe.

chuckles:)
Dec 3, 2007, 05:04 PM
Here is what we might see (in no particular order...)

-iPhone in other countries
-AppleTV update
-New Mac Pros
-New Cinema Displays

Certainly no iPod updates...
Certainly no iMac updates...
Certainly no Macbook updates...
Possibly MacBook Pro updates.

But they need to update/release some revolutionary consumer product. All apple has going for it is innovation, so they have to continue to innovate!

Mal
Dec 3, 2007, 05:09 PM
I don't think the iPhone 2.0 nor the iPhone nano will be announced just yet. If they do, Apple will have to wait for 4-5 months for FCC approval and nobody will buy the current iPhones during that time, which will hinder Apple's goal of meeting 10 million units in sales by end of 2008.

Also, people in Europe will be very, very upset if that happens, considering they just got the iPhone out there. I think they will announce an option to buy an iPhone unlocked, and/or possibly one with more memory 12GB or 16GB maybe.

I agree, but not because of the FCC approval. If they release an update, it'll either already be approved, or they'll just do it like every other phone that gets announced before approval. It works for other companies, no reason it can't for Apple. I don't think they'll do much of anything with the iPhone, though, because I think people want to see dedication to the Mac, so Steve's going to get up, talk about how good the iPhone's doing, maybe some of the stuff they're planning to add, then say, "Well, that's all we're going to talk about with the iPhone, let's move on to the Macintosh."

And then we'll all get our goodies.

jW

greenpflyer
Dec 3, 2007, 05:10 PM
I am Steve Jobs' backup in case he is holding a new computer that may explode on him. This is according to ESPN.com. You would see another guy with jeans but with 'don't tase me, bro' shirt on.

MisterK
Dec 3, 2007, 05:13 PM
I'm getting an LCD TV this Christmas (FINALLY) and nothing would make me happier than a seriously updated AppleTV. Bigger hard drive, PVR functionality, special version of Front Row to differentiate it from regular macs, some sort of serious competitor to Media Center... Even one or two of these things would make me do circus jumps.

Poff
Dec 3, 2007, 05:14 PM
Yes. If the Xeon Penryns are any indication, you won't be getting them in January. I doubt production has even begun to ramp up on the mobile Penryns yet. My guess:

Mac Pro
AppleTV
Ultra Portable

iPhone... nothing.
Macbook Pro. Nothing.
Macbook? Forget it.
iMac. Nope.

+1

Antares
Dec 3, 2007, 05:15 PM
I wonder what he's going to announce.

Stang68
Dec 3, 2007, 05:31 PM
Who the **** is Steve Jobs?

:p

Dec 3, 2007, 05:33 PM
---

lazyrighteye
Funny... just this morning I was wondering how advance past Stevenotes were made "official" - thinking that surely we could expect an announcement "any day now."

ezekielrage_99

LOL, thought I could have beaten some to the G5 Powerbook prediction ;)

But I think we will see an ultra portable laptop, I hope a PDA and maybe an Apple TV bump.

lazyrighteye
Dec 3, 2007, 05:35 PM

Mac Pro
AppleTV
Ultra Portable

iPhone... nothing.
Macbook Pro. Nothing.
Macbook? Forget it.
iMac. Nope.

+1

+1 more...

yagran
Dec 3, 2007, 05:37 PM
I modified a countdown widget to make it look more pretty. picture is attached and if any one fancies it you can grab a copy HERE (http://rapidshare.de/files/37968881/Macworld_08.wdgt.zip.html). copyright and whatever is not mine.

whynot83706
Dec 3, 2007, 05:40 PM
I have a terrible time keeping up with these things (yes, even with the MR's buyer's guide). Correct me if I'm wrong, but for existing hardware updates, is this the general consensus:

Mac Pro - Yes
Cinema Displays - Probably
iMac - Probably not
MPB - Probably not
MB - No
Mini - Who knows

Am I missing something--I can't see Apple having a "Mac Pro" show (even though it's about fricking time).

:apple:TV

MrLubeMan
Dec 3, 2007, 05:41 PM
New - Apple Media Center
New Movie rentals via iTunes with NEW Studio content
Apple TV update - will stream HD and have surround sound capabilities
New cleaning solution to fix my friggin' Mighty Mouse for good.
New Mac Pro - has everything you can or will ever want

Apple announces purchase of Ford and begins to sell cars that people actually want.
:D:D

TimJim
Dec 3, 2007, 05:45 PM
-Mac Pro
-Cinema Displays
-Ultra-Portable
-Apple TV
-3G iPhone?

Those will be the updates i think...

phungy
Dec 3, 2007, 05:45 PM
Who the **** is Steve Jobs?

Beat me to it. :D:apple:

Wild-Bill
Dec 3, 2007, 05:50 PM
Anything is an improvement over last year's lackluster MacWorld.

Then again, it could always be worse.

I imagine he will introduce the long-overdue Mac Pro, tout it as the fastest thing ever, but carefully place the 1600FSB options in only the highest of BTO pricing schemes.

rdowns
Dec 3, 2007, 05:51 PM
Here's the only certain thing.

Jobs will announce something new.
Half of us will fall over ourselves to get one.
Half of us will think it's a piece of crap.
The other half will ask when the next rev is due. ;)

uNext
Dec 3, 2007, 05:52 PM
My favorite color is clear and, I love to watch the wind go by.

Di9it8
Dec 3, 2007, 05:54 PM
-3G iPhone?

iPhone Video??!!:D
The event will be broadcast on the new iPhone video using 3G emulation.

deathshrub
Dec 3, 2007, 06:02 PM

Some of the people on this site are unbelievable.

Consultant
Dec 3, 2007, 06:02 PM
My guess is a new MBP, at least that's what I told my friend who wants to switch...

I am certain the new MBP will have the updated keyboard like the MB.

Consultant
Dec 3, 2007, 06:04 PM

Oh wow, how did you know! That is so true... ;)

macfan881
Dec 3, 2007, 06:07 PM
In other news, water is wet, and paper is made from trees.

OMG I call blasphemy:D anyway i see a 3 g Iphone and possible new imac and a update to apple tv ?

Tom B.
Dec 3, 2007, 06:14 PM
My predictions are:

New case design for MacBook Pro (new keyboard, no latch and other innovations first seen on the non-Pro MacBooks)

Updated Mac Pros

New Cinema Displays

Mac mini and :apple:tv to be merged into one product

Maybe an iPhone mini (but unlikely)

One more thing:

iPhone/iPod touch SDK is coming a month early!

compuguy1088
Dec 3, 2007, 06:19 PM

LOL That is the only thing that is certain :D

SirROM
Dec 3, 2007, 06:21 PM
3G iPhone? ;) :D

I honestly don't think we will see 3G yet, but I do suspect we will see an iPhone 2.0 SOFTWARE update, just not a hardware update.

Steve has suggested that this version of the hardware is software upgradeable for a reason: because he doesn't plan to do anything significant to it until the 3G chips are ready. However, in preparation for the developer's SDK within weeks after MacWorld, he will announce a significant update to the software features for existing owners, perhaps available for download by the end of January. He'll talk about the SDK and what it means, demo some of the new software features, tell us when it will be available (my guess not immediately), and that will be the end of the iPhone portion.

Sorry to say, but I see the same scenario for the iPod Touch as well.

iJawn108
Dec 3, 2007, 06:24 PM
Christy rocks my socks

and hopefully i'll get to see a Stevenote one day

mtrctyjoe
Dec 3, 2007, 06:26 PM
1. Some new form factor updates ... certainly a smaller pro. Updates on other machines, maybe a tab, but doubt it.

2. iPhone iPhone iPhone GEN II!!
3G
16 Gig
Higher RES Stills
Video recording!
Voice Dial
GPS !!
New Native Apps on Home Page

3. Movie Rentals on my iPhone!!!

SWEETNESS !!!!!!!!

ChrisA
Dec 3, 2007, 06:36 PM
The last few keynotes were no so good. I hope this will be worth the affort to watch. In recent time we had to...

watch Steve talk about a cell phone
hear about an OS upgrade that would happen many months in the future
find out Apple is no longer a computer company

I wonder if this year he will even talk about Macs? Maybe we can make a poll about what we think Steve will talk about?

A new line of exercise equipment, the iTreadmill
Apple branded designer clothing. All in aluminum color with black trim.
The all new Apple record label.
"macworld" is to be re-named so as to remove the "mac" in the name.

What else? Anyone want to bet he will talk about truly new macs you can actually buy.

applehappy
Dec 3, 2007, 06:39 PM
Way too early for a h/w update to iPhone! Anything less than 1 year will be rediculous especially since they are just starting to be sold in so many countries.

Must see decent iphone AND apple tv s/w updates soon though or something is wrong. I don't know, maybe iphone won't see any updates until 3rd party stuff comes from the SDK. Bummer, but I love my iphone and :apple:tv

Movie rentals for apple TV - or I don't know where that product is going.

Big push will be new notebooks, w/flash drives.

sblasl
Dec 3, 2007, 06:47 PM
MWSF Newswire update:

To reflect the new direction that Apple, Inc. is going, the company is announcing effective today that the new name will be Apple Wireless Telecommunications, Inc. Steve Jobs announced that the computer segment of Apple, Inc. has been sold to MPC Computers, who purchased Gateway Computers in 2007.:rolleyes: The iPod portion of Apple is being sold to The Pirates Bay web site. Steve Jobs announced that he was going to become a ride at one of Disney's theme parks http://www.distantcreations.com/blog/2007/11/30/confirmed-steve-jobs-esque-character-added-to-epcots-spaceship-earth/.

mwxiao
Dec 3, 2007, 06:48 PM
I can't believe it's been a year.

I still remember watching 2007 keynote when steve was talking about iPhone...

nvbrit
Dec 3, 2007, 06:52 PM

why would they update the iMac when they just did that!?

Quillz
Dec 3, 2007, 06:55 PM
I don't get it... Were people expecting that Steve wouldn't host the Macworld keynote address? Hasn't he done so every year since 1984 or so?

MacSamurai
Dec 3, 2007, 06:55 PM
Why is everyone predicting that mbps wont come??they havent been updated in ages!!

Quillz
Dec 3, 2007, 06:56 PM
Maybe they could put the new Penryn processors or w/e in them?

sblasl
Dec 3, 2007, 07:02 PM
I don't think Steve Jobs was giving the keynotes between 1985 - 1997.

I don't get it... Were people expecting that Steve wouldn't host the Macworld keynote address? Hasn't he done so every year since 1984 or so?

Cloudane
Dec 3, 2007, 07:02 PM
No way!!! And I was sure Bill Gates would be doing it.

Predictions:

New Mac Pro. Except for the 8 core update, it's ancient (Aug '06) and *desperately* in need of an update... if they don't at least update that then they might as well just disband the computer division and concentrate on iPods.

Small Macbook Pro. It's certainly been rumored enough. Possibly flash based (cue whining that people can't store their full pr0n collection on it and they expected at least 500GB, and that it doesn't have a $500 graphics card in it)

Goodbye Mac Mini, hello xMac complete with the half decent (though not brilliant) graphics card people have been asking for, and a bundled EA game. IFFFF they can find a slot for it in their very carefully priced and structured lineup, and do it in a way that doesn't make it too much of an "Apple PC". Something like the Cube would work well.

To make up for the loss of the Mac Mini, the TV thing gets more flexibility - run apps, browse the web etc. Won't be as powerful and people will complain, Mac Mini will become a cult icon etc etc. Most of its market would be happy with the xMac, at the same price.

iMac untouched. The previous releases are only just becoming stable after all the freezing and graphical problems etc, it's not the time to go breaking them again.

Maybe a Macbook Pro redesign, if they want to update lots of things in one go and give themselves nothing to do for a year.

No new iPhone yet, and besides it's a MACworld event not an iWorld event. However I'd expect a 16GB iPhone (no other changes) shortly afterwards. Many of us with 16GB iPod Touches are waiting to upgrade to one.

Not sure about cinema displays. Personally I'd hope they keep them as they are rather than ruin them... Apple aren't very good at displays right now (negative blacks, gradient problems yada yada)

lol xserve (you can tell I'm sneaking a peek at the buyers guide here). Who the hell uses a Mac as a server. I guess they might refresh it :rolleyes: But really... do you need such a pretty server? Get a Linux box.

No iPods. They've just been done.

Maybe aluminium mice :D

Certainly not all of those or even a large chunk of them in one go, or else what have they got left to announce for the rest of the year? My suggested priorities would be the Mac Pro and this "xMac" that everyone wants. But then I don't run Apple.

nvbrit
Dec 3, 2007, 07:06 PM
Maybe he won't announce anything, just becuase he's doing the keynote doesn't mean there's going to be new products!!!

ezekielrage_99
Dec 3, 2007, 07:09 PM

3 halves?

This reminds me of Manbearpig... Half man, half bear and half pig....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/ManBearPig_Sketch.jpg

I'm super cereal

quigleybc
Dec 3, 2007, 07:20 PM
if the iPhone is not released in Canada by January 15th - 16th...i'm gonna shoot myself in the face!!

ok, the knee...

ok i'm gonna i'm just gonna throw a rock through a window!

ok, my pillow,

ok, im just gonna be bummed....and Mad!@!!...and bummed....

psychofreak
Dec 3, 2007, 07:22 PM
Looks like the first Canadian iPhone could be the second gen.

inkswamp
Dec 3, 2007, 07:23 PM
He darn-well better have a release date for 10.6. How much longer do we have to wait?!

:rolleyes:

inkswamp
Dec 3, 2007, 07:26 PM

I hope they announce rev. B with a matte screen option. Unlike a lot of you, I have enough of a sensitivity to glare and reflections from glossy screens that they tend to give me splitting headaches. Early next year, I'm going to be in the market for a new computer and if a matte screen option doesn't materialize, I'm not buying a Mac. :(

jnc
Dec 3, 2007, 07:36 PM
Dear Mr. :apple:

Gimme a 13" MacBook Pro, cutting edge Mac Pro, and a 27 - 32" Cinema Display with component and HDMI, and you'll have a lot of my money.

Quillz
Dec 3, 2007, 07:38 PM
I don't think Steve Jobs was giving the keynotes between 1985 - 1997.
Of course he wasn't, but I meant in reference to how long he's been with the company. That is, he's given the keynote every year that he's been within Apple, so it just struck me as odd that this was a news story. Frankly, I would have expected an article like this if he wasn't hosting it.

jnc
Dec 3, 2007, 07:39 PM
I hope they announce rev. B with a matte screen option. Unlike a lot of you, I have enough of a sensitivity to glare and reflections from glossy screens that they tend to give me splitting headaches. Early next year, I'm going to be in the market for a new computer and if a matte screen option doesn't materialize, I'm not buying a Mac. :(

Well, you've still got the MacBook Pros, of almost comparable power to an iMac. Couple with an external monitor, you're set. Or even a Mac Mini or Pro.

fagosu
Dec 3, 2007, 07:42 PM
iTunes Store and iPhone in Mexico!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Well, they just opened the online store a week ago, so I guess I can dream right?

-fagosu

inkswamp
Dec 3, 2007, 07:50 PM
Well, you've still got the MacBook Pros, of almost comparable power to an iMac. Couple with an external monitor, you're set. Or even a Mac Mini or Pro.

*Sigh.* It's unfortunate that Mac users are reduced to this set of trade-offs, and I won't be playing that game with them. A matte screen option on a desktop machine is a no-brainer. As far as I'm concerned, Apple screwed up by not offering it. I'm hoping they come to their senses. They offer it on the laptops. Why not the desktops?

psychofreak
Dec 3, 2007, 07:52 PM
I can't believe it's been a year.

I still remember watching 2007 keynote when steve was talking about iPhone...

Not quite a year yet...we are still in December...

I hope I'll be happier after this one than I was after MWSF 07...

Rot'nApple
Dec 3, 2007, 07:53 PM

Don't use it!

Vista might take the countdown seriously and spew out, "Hi, I'm a PC and this Vista OS will self destruct in 5 seconds... 4, 3, 2,....

Sorry, couldn't resist when I read that post. It made me think of the "Don't Give Up On Vista" web ad that was recently introduced.;)

jnc
Dec 3, 2007, 07:54 PM
*Sigh.* It's unfortunate that Mac users are reduced to this set of trade-offs, and I won't be playing that game with them. A matte screen option on a desktop machine is a no-brainer. As far as I'm concerned, Apple screwed up by not offering it. I'm hoping they come to their senses. They offer it on the laptops. Why not the desktops?

Oh yeah, certainly. I'd never get a glossy iMac either. But it does seem like that's a route they're sticking to to define "consumer" products - I don't think you'll ever catch a glossy option on the cinema displays, for instance.

They seem to be saying if you care enough to want matte, you're likely get a Pro with an external display...

Rot'nApple
Dec 3, 2007, 07:55 PM

Shouldn't they be divided into thirds?:eek:

psychofreak
Dec 3, 2007, 07:57 PM
At first I was really irritated by the iMac screen options (well, lack of) but I really like the glossy. It must be irritating for those with print work though, and I feel for people who are genuinely irritated...

However, there seem to be many who claim not to like it but haven't used the iMac in real life surroundings (e.g. outside of an Apple Store). Definitely the nicest desktop I've ever used when coupled with the wireless peripherals.

No

Rot'nApple
Dec 3, 2007, 08:01 PM
At first I was really irritated by the iMac screen options (well, lack of) but I really like the glossy. It must be irritating for those with print work though, and I feel for people who are genuinely irritated...

However, there seem to be many who claim not to like it but haven't used the iMac in real life surroundings (e.g. outside of an Apple Store). Definitely the nicest desktop I've ever used when coupled with the wireless peripherals.

No

Then where does "the other half" come from? Out of the half "that will trip over themselves to get one" or the half "that think it's a piece of crap"?

ezekielrage_99
Dec 3, 2007, 08:02 PM

As I said before it reminds me of Manbearpig....

powerchord
Dec 3, 2007, 08:08 PM
Geez! With all of the hype and commotion that this event generates (especially on this forum) you'd think we're gonna see something like the World Cup, or the "Greatest Show on Earth," or even Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve!!!

Are these just machines, or are they"more than meets the eye".... oh no, wait, that's the Transformers I'm thinking about:rolleyes:

inkswamp
Dec 3, 2007, 08:10 PM
They seem to be saying if you care enough to want matte, you're likely get a Pro with an external display...

I think Apple should be asking themselves if they care enough to want my money. That's the real question.

And I know I'm not alone in my hatred of glossy screens. A guy I work with (a Windows user) was set to buy an iMac a month ago (his first) until I pointed that out to him that the glossy screen was the only option. He bailed on it and is buying a PC now. Apple lost a sale to that, and they may very well lose one to me--which is amazing to me.

Anyway, I don't need the power of a Pro machine, nor do I want the expense. The iMac as it is (not counting the glossy screen) is exactly what I would want--right price, right power, right everything. The glossy screen with no options is just a dumb move.

However, there seem to be many who claim not to like it but haven't used the iMac in real life surroundings (e.g. outside of an Apple Store).

I've seen them in person and the glare/reflection is totally unacceptable. It's a piece of glass. I'm not sure why people keep claiming that it's not that bad. It's every bit as bad as the old CRTs. It's just glass. It's not special Apple glass. It reflects. That's the problem.

Beefeater
Dec 3, 2007, 08:10 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

As if there was any doubt, IDG World Expo announced today (via Macworld) that Steve Jobs will be giving the keynote (http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/12/03/jobskeynote/index.php) at Macworld 2008.

The keynote address will occur on Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2008 at 9:00 AM PST in Moscone West at San Francisco’s Moscone Convention Center.

For those attending Macworld, MacRumors members are arranging a meetup (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=358811). Of course, for those unable to attend, MacRumors will provide live coverage of the keynote via MacRumorsLive, with continued coverage from the show floor throughout the conference.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/03/steve-jobs-to-give-macworld-2008-keynote/)

I hope he brings some cool toy's

fuziwuzi
Dec 3, 2007, 08:16 PM

and people keep forgetting the the santa rosa chipset was released in the macbook pros immediately.

i wouldn't put it past apple to release a macbook pro on penryn at macworld

jokarak
Dec 3, 2007, 08:24 PM

Took the words out of my mouth

Snide
Dec 3, 2007, 08:39 PM
As if there was any doubt...

Is this really front-page news? :rolleyes:

Westside guy
Dec 3, 2007, 08:39 PM

Your last name doesn't happen to be Magliozzi, does it?

AidenShaw
Dec 3, 2007, 09:02 PM
and people keep forgetting the the santa rosa chipset was released in the macbook pros immediately.

i wouldn't put it past apple to release a macbook pro on penryn at macworld

"Immediately" was actually just under one month later than the announcement.

- Santa Rosa released on 9 May 2007 (http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20070509comp.htm)

- MBP announced on 5 June 2007 (http://support.apple.com/specs/)

viniciusc
Dec 3, 2007, 09:07 PM
My opinion:
He will talk about the new MacBook (Pro) Touch/Tablet/whatever the entire keynote just like it was with the iPhone. There will surely be a small reference to the release of Office 2008, he'll present the new update of Leopard (10.5.2?) quickly, and perhaps Safari 3 Final. And for the "one more thing", I guess it will be about the "G3 iPhone" and the SDK that will ship on Februrary.

Wild-Bill
Dec 3, 2007, 09:22 PM
My opinion:
He will talk about the new MacBook (Pro) Touch/Tablet/whatever the entire keynote just like it was with the iPhone. There will surely be a small reference to the release of Office 2008, he'll present the new update of Leopard (10.5.2?) quickly, and perhaps Safari 3 Final. And for the "one more thing", I guess it will be about the "G3 iPhone" and the SDK that will ship on Februrary.

Umm..... a Mac Pro update should be at the top of that list. It's the most neglected piece of hardware in the lineup, 17 months without an update. (8-core drop-in CPU 'option' is not an update).

As someone else said, if there is no Mac Pro update by then, Apple should fold up the entire computer business and concentrate on their gadgets, submit another company name change to "Apple Gadgets".

Lesser Evets
Dec 3, 2007, 09:34 PM
What never cool NEW stuff you believe will be there, I can guarantee it WON'T BE THERE.

Most likely there will be mini revisions to everything, and nothing new. The 'new' thing will be promises of things that won't be coming until late 2008, or even 2009.

Steve Jobs shall say, 'I have something SO cool and SO NEW that you won't believe your eyes. And by the time we actually release it, you will swear it is ancient history...'

JGowan
Dec 3, 2007, 09:48 PM

So, how many of you are staying home from work to watch? Or are you going to be watching at work?I'll be staying home -- of course, I work from home every day, so…

:D

jaw04005
Dec 3, 2007, 10:08 PM
Wow, we're really scraping the barrel for news aren't we?

Well in all fairness, it's not confirmed until Apple notifies IDG World Expo. The marketing teams for Macworld Expo can now properly advertise the event.

You never know when something is going to come up with a speaker you're "expecting" to commit especially when they're as temperamental as Steve Jobs.

Take the last Macworld Boston and the dying Apple Expo for example ...

MacinDoc
Dec 3, 2007, 10:14 PM
What would be more interesting would be the reaction if SJ was NOT giving the keynote. Can you imagine the panic and speculation?

ngdesign
Dec 3, 2007, 10:55 PM

dont say that man, my mbp is only a few months old :(

ngdesign
Dec 3, 2007, 10:58 PM

i remember last year i took the day off and went to starbucks to watch the live coverage.. hahaha.. just because of the iphone.

peeeter
Dec 3, 2007, 11:14 PM
I hope there will be a free update of iMovie that will bring back effects, animated titles etc. There must be some software introduced as hardware demonstrations take quite short time and I don't believe that there will be so many of them to fill the time.

donlphi
Dec 3, 2007, 11:52 PM
Does anybody know if there are other places to watch the live broadcast if you go to MacWorld (monitors)? I am planning on attending, but I don't feel like camping out the entire time.

Suggestions? Is there plenty of seating for everybody? What are my chances of getting in?

pscoble
Dec 3, 2007, 11:59 PM
Hehehehe I know where Ill be watching it I just found out recently...from the audience. :D yay!

surferuke
you mentioned some painful possibilities with the iphone. 16gb. i hope they don't even tempt me.......... i was hoping for a 3G 32gb iphone 2 to justify verizon contract breakage.

egsaxy
g5 power books for sure.

Darkroom
Dec 4, 2007, 12:00 AM
i think steve jobs should go back to bow-ties...

Burgess07
Dec 4, 2007, 12:33 AM
maybe SJ will announce stacks is finally getting fixed.

Sannekita
Dec 4, 2007, 03:12 AM
please Steve, give me a new MacBook Pro

tyrnight
Dec 4, 2007, 06:46 AM
Mac Book Pro's were just updated in november, Why 2 months later (reminds me of the iPhone Price drop). I personaly want the Mac Pro Updated so I can finnish my video editing.

viniciusc
Dec 4, 2007, 07:21 AM
My dream would be if apple introduces an Intel mac-only processor, that is, a processor that is totally optimized for OS X (and vice-versa), is faster than any PC standard processor, but still compatible with both bootcamp and virtualization. If that happens, Apple will really be able to say "We are again faster than the PC".

arkitect
Dec 4, 2007, 07:23 AM
If that happens, Apple will really be able to say "We are again faster than the PC".

And that would matter… why? :rolleyes:

Thomas2006
Dec 4, 2007, 07:33 AM
you mentioned some painful possibilities with the iphone. 16gb. i hope they don't even tempt me.......... i was hoping for a 3G 32gb iphone 2 to justify verizon contract breakage.
I think the iPod touch will get the larger storage before the iPhone so Steve can discontinue the iPod classic ASAP.

viniciusc
Dec 4, 2007, 08:18 AM
And that would matter… why? :rolleyes:

I guess it would matter a lot for people who are willing to buy a new Mac.

overcast
Dec 4, 2007, 09:02 AM
My dream would be if apple introduces an Intel mac-only processor, that is, a processor that is totally optimized for OS X (and vice-versa), is faster than any PC standard processor, but still compatible with both bootcamp and virtualization. If that happens, Apple will really be able to say "We are again faster than the PC".
They already have that, it's called the x86 processor from Intel. The software is built on the instruction set and the processor is optimized to run the instruction set.

AidenShaw
Dec 4, 2007, 09:48 AM

This didn't work with the PowerPC - Apple's purchases were too small to justify the multiple billions of dollars needed to develop and advance the microprocessor.

capitanbuzo
Dec 4, 2007, 10:00 AM
Mac Book Pro's were just updated in november, Why 2 months later (reminds me of the iPhone Price drop). I personaly want the Mac Pro Updated so I can finnish my video editing.

A new BTO update is not an update.

nickane
Dec 4, 2007, 10:08 AM
Wow, last year everything had been so recently updated, no one could figure out what was gonna get refreshed, and instead we just got 90 minutes about a product that wasn't gonna be available for 6 months, half an hour about a product Steve had already told us about 3 months ago and a 3 month wait for any new computers. This year, there are enough ppl convinced that everything will get upgraded that however good this ultraportable will be, it's gonna disappoint most ppl by taking up too much stage-time.

I think, in order of likelihood:

1) Ultra-portable: how can so many rumour sites be wrong?
2) Mac Pro (but, much like the sap who assumes that 15 reds in roulette must surely be followed by a black, I have my doubts, and part of me wants to leave this off the list altogether...)
3) Macbook Pro (the mobile penryn chips will be available shortly after the workstation ones and its most due for a refresh of all the portables - so my guess is shipping within a month or so)
4) LCDs (if the MP gets a facelift...)
5) Apple TV (why not? ...it's been a year)

And the outside contender:

Mid-range tower mac looks increasingly likely, despite a dearth of rumours about it. I don't necessarily expect it at Macworld but there is no way Apple can get rid of the Mac Mini without coming up with a mid-range solution and everyone seems convinced that's going to happen.

And the no-hopers:

5) iMac - the last time they updated the iMac that quickly, it was so they could switch to intel
4) Mac Mini: they seem to be updating this one less and less often, and I doubt it will see anything until everything else has had penryn - and even then might kill it off
3) Macbook: just got updated - that 13.3 inch screen story has nothing to do with the macbook as it won't get penryn until a few months after the mbp
2) ipod: apple doesn't like updating the ipod just after december which is its best-selling month. It has never been updated before April.
1) iphone: for all the same reasons as the ipod with the added bonus that 3G will be timed with the asia release, and the flash increase will be coincided with that, otherwise the iphone would have to be 32 gb by late summer. Flash prices maybe dropping quickly but not THAT quickly! Besides, did it occur to you how annoyed the 3 core European markets would be if they bought a product they'd waited 11 months for, got 5 months later than the US only to have it updated within 2 months?!

All in all, it doesn't look to be a very consumer-oriented Macworld...

Blue Velvet
Dec 4, 2007, 10:12 AM
Oh, we've had the year of high-definition. We've had the secret features... we've had the year of the Mac. What else remains for Steve Jobs to say? :rolleyes:

nickane
Dec 4, 2007, 10:21 AM
Oh, we've had the year of high-definition. We've had the secret features... we've had the year of the Mac. What else remains for Steve Jobs to say? :rolleyes:

The year of making good on the BS promises Steve's made in all the previous years.

viz: "We've got lots of other cool and new exciting products, that we're going to be bringing out later this year." Jan 2007

Good one steve, except this Ipod Touch-thing looks a little bit too much like the phone you yakked on about for the whole keynote that you ended with this statement to really be considered "new and exciting", and no matter how many of the things you sell, it still only counts as one "product".

Quillz
Dec 4, 2007, 11:27 AM
Aren't there still rumors floating around of the Apple TV / Mac mini being merged into one "super" product?

surferuke
Dec 4, 2007, 11:48 AM
I think the iPod touch will get the larger storage before the iPhone so Steve can discontinue the iPod classic ASAP.

really? it just seems so unlikely. it just came out in september. no way!

surferuke
Dec 4, 2007, 11:53 AM

right about getting rid of the ipod classic. seriously, how many millenia would it take to listen or watch 160gb of media. it was not necessarily a step back, but definately off to the side.

the ipod touch does not compare to the iphone for elegance and usable features, but it was at least a wonderful product development.

so looks like i'll be waiting until late summer for iphone 2?

ipodless, iphoneless, macbookless, itvless, but happy and anxiously awaiting iphone 2

LeviG
Dec 4, 2007, 12:00 PM
Well I can see it being a simple affair.

1). junk info on sales of macs going up, best year yet etc etc etc
2). announcement of upgraded mac pro (well it would be about time for one :rolleyes:), maybe display updates to match, with a 24" to replace the current 23"
3). Announcement of 3G iphone for release 6 months later like last one.
4). info regarding iphone software program
5) if were really lucky a smaller macbook pro or updates to bto options (say blu ray for example)

silent update to mac mini assuming it isn't discontinued.

jnc
Dec 4, 2007, 02:27 PM

Hah, good one. iPod touch doesn't even have a hard disk mode. That, coupled with the huge capacity needs to come to the iPod touch. And then there's still the issue of no tactile feedback, which'll always be irritating.

harrisone23
Dec 4, 2007, 04:18 PM
I need a new laptop... looking for an iPhone too. i hope there wil be a new redesigned mac books and pros and a 3g iphone.

Also what the hell is an iPhone nano???? also the penryns ARE infact coming in Jan for mobile units!

jshalvorsen
Dec 4, 2007, 06:45 PM
I really hope there will be updates to the 15,4" MBP's, shipping one month later. I'm still using my iBook G4(and the Mac Pro's at the Uni.), but with more and more video, flash and photo stuff to do I really need a laptop that can handle it all so I can work more at home(I've already waited one semester for the update, so I'm not gonna buy the current 15,4" anyway).

Please let there be MBP's with Penryn!(fingers crossed)

The BTO upgrade to the MBP's didn't even get an announcement, so I really don't think we can consider it a "real" update.

tyrnight
Dec 5, 2007, 04:00 AM
A new BTO update is not an update.
I was talking about the new chipset, 800 FSB comes standard with all MBP's

bergmef
Dec 5, 2007, 04:46 AM
I know what I would like to see. I'd like an Apple, hfs (or zfs) formatted NAS. I use a dns323 that is slower than dirt. And no, I really don't want to hang drives off of my airport because there is no redundancy. I would like it to have 2 or preferably 4 bays, expand as you wish, raid (totally mirrored), gigabit and a built in Itunes server. Heck, make that a high end apple tv and I'll wet myself right here and now. it could look something like the old cube, just big enough for 4 sata drives and the circuit board. Plug the drives in from the bottom so the lines stay very clean. Make it all aluminum with a soft glowing apple on the front and a small opening for the remote control sensor. Can you imagine? oh, did I mention, I would like my macbooks to be able to use that for time machine.

jacekwo
Dec 5, 2007, 09:52 AM
A buddy of mine is trying to get me to go out there, has two tickets and his friend backed out. Is it worth the trip - mind I am in NY.

MikeTheC
Dec 5, 2007, 07:53 PM
Well, now that my PowerBook's been sold off and all that's left, workstation-wise, is my iMac G4/800, I'm definitely in the market for a new Mac. I'm jonesing to see what happens at MW2008.

I think I can hold out for at least a few more months, but this 800MHz business is really starting to get old.

MikeTheC
Dec 5, 2007, 07:55 PM
A buddy of mine is trying to get me to go out there, has two tickets and his friend backed out. Is it worth the trip - mind I am in NY.
Um, no. Not at all. Totally not worth your time whatsoever.

I'll PM you my address, and you can send the tickets to me instead. After all, I wouldn't want you, uh, "wasting" your time on MW2008.

</sarcasm>

MikeTheC
Dec 5, 2007, 07:59 PM
<babylon_5>

What do I want? Well...

I want to be there when they put BillG's head on a pike and put it in the courtyard as a reminder that some OS choices come with too high of a price. I would stand there and wave at his lifeless eyes like this: [waves just like Vir Cotto]

</babylon_5>

AidenShaw
Dec 5, 2007, 11:13 PM
<babylon_5>

What do I want? Well...

I want to be there when they put BillG's head on a pike and put it in the courtyard as a reminder that some OS choices come with too high of a price. I would stand there and wave at his lifeless eyes like this: [waves just like Vir Cotto]

</babylon_5>

Find your closest anger management course, and sign up ASAP.

Windows and Mac OSX are just operating systems - they're just tools for a purpose, not the meaning of life.

John Musbach
Dec 6, 2007, 12:44 AM

Doesn't Steve Jobs always do the keynote at Macworld? Makes me wonder why this is news worthy... :confused:

mifka
Dec 27, 2007, 11:46 AM
Did APPLE show something new on the last macworld? for eg:updated iMac or iPod?

nippyjun
Dec 27, 2007, 03:18 PM

2). announcement of upgraded mac pro (well it would be about time for one :rolleyes:), maybe display updates to match, with a 24" to replace the current 23"
5) if were really lucky a smaller macbook pro or updates to bto options (say blu ray for example)

I just can't see them announcing an new iphone at this time as it would probably decrease sales of the current model. I would expect them to announce the new model very close to when it is released.

AidenShaw
Dec 27, 2007, 03:31 PM
I just can't see them announcing an new iphone at this time as it would probably decrease sales of the current model. I would expect them to announce the new model very close to when it is released.

Keep in mind that when Macworld rolls around, HP/Dell/Lenovo/Asus/Toshiba/Fujitsu will have already announced and shown Penryn-based laptops the previous week at CES.

It will be a poor showing if all that The Lord God Jobs has to say is "Blu-ray optional".

Also, Intel will be showing a number of Silverthorne prototypes at CES. If Apple plans to "keep up with the crowd" and introduce a MID (Mobile Internet Device) with a 5" to 7" screen next summer, then showing a "Newton II" prototype at MWSF'08 would be a possibility.

Apple to Adopt Intel Ultra-Mobile Platform? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=403627)

It would also make sense that the "Ultra-portable" rumour might be a mixup of two different new products. One would be a thin 12" or 13" widescreen PowerBook replacement - something with about a MacBook footprint but much thinner and less plastic-like. Smaller, but in no way an "ultra-portable".

The second new product would be the UMPC (aka "Newton II" coming out in the summer).

RRutter
Jan 2, 2008, 01:42 AM

We're getting a new MacBook, smaller and faster. E-Mail me to find out what it's called, and I WILL tell you for sure. So E-Mail me at: RRutter@elp.rr.com. Thanks.

Mike Teezie
Jan 2, 2008, 11:06 AM

This is what I'm really, really, really hoping for.

JAM8086
Jan 2, 2008, 01:13 PM
right about getting rid of the ipod classic. seriously, how many millenia would it take to listen or watch 160gb of media. it was not necessarily a step back, but definately off to the side.

You don't need to have millenia worth of audio or video to have more than 80 GB (the second largest ipod capacity). Ripping CDs at the highest possible quality makes it very easy to take up more than 80 GB. You may say that only a few people, namely music and film nuts, would have that much audio/video, and be picky enough to put them on their computer at the highest quality...but then again, you have to realize that a very large percentage of Apple's consumers are music and film nuts.

Also, I am personally very happy that they kept the old ipod design because it makes it very easy to pause/play, fast forward/rewind, switch songs, and (if you really know your ipod controls) do some other more involved things without even looking at the device or taking it out of your pocket...and you know it's just going to keep getting smaller, which is always a good thing...i wouldn't be surprised if in a few years, they could fit 160 GB into the current nano outfit.

And if you're going to go for the ipod touch with the lower capacity and higher price than the classic, you might as well just buy an iphone.

The 160 GB ipod classic is a wonderful machine...it allows you to carry your entire 500+ CD collection in your pocket (at CD quality!), and it is incredibly simple and easy to use.

wwwdotcomdotnet
Jan 2, 2008, 01:51 PM
We're getting a new MacBook, smaller and faster. E-Mail me to find out what it's called, and I WILL tell you for sure. So E-Mail me at: RRutter@elp.rr.com. Thanks.

care to share the details on the forum?

jnc
Jan 2, 2008, 02:12 PM
care to share the details on the forum?

pffft... just wait 13 days!

Quillz
Jan 2, 2008, 03:20 PM
Did APPLE show something new on the last macworld? for eg:updated iMac or iPod?
Just the iPhone.

Dmac77
Jan 2, 2008, 07:09 PM
All I could see is a better screen resolution for the 20".

Dmac77
Jan 2, 2008, 07:13 PM
it would be ungodly expensive to make one with a large enough ssd for large amounts of video. That's why people get the classic it can store tons of video.

adamfishercox
Jan 2, 2008, 07:25 PM
Nah, if anything, the iMac will get a bump to 2.2 GHz on the bottom level. Or perhaps 2.2 on the bottom level 20", 2.4 on the mid range 20", 2.6 on the bottom end 24" and 2.8 on the top end 24".

pamon
Jan 2, 2008, 07:41 PM
i still gotta love the title of this thread... who else was gonna give the keynote? :)