PDA

View Full Version : Asking for some help...

TiMacLover
Apr 17, 2002, 05:36 PM
I read the post that Travis made and maybe I would give it a shot, i am looking for a G3 powerbook that could be used for OS X for class's I have to take in a month or so for school that involve programming and visual creations, the last 2 years have been really hard on me, me with a single parent with no help from my dad strive to get enough money to cover the nesities of life, out phone was shut off, my laptop was stolen from a family memeber; that story is below some might know it already, I failed 3 semisters because of that. I am just looking for a Powerbook G3 which I could run OS X on I am not picky my old iBook was 300mhz with 160 RAM and OS X was just screming for me, I have a power mac 9500 which is not doing what I need it to do and I see since I can't get a desktop for a well price I well may get a laptop for the class's I need also. So with this post I ask on anyone that would donate a Mac laptop that runs on a G3 processor that I could use for schooling, If not a donation I can understand that I can come up with about $100-$150 if I work hard enough to cover some costs, I have many things all I could trade to bring down the price which I have gotten over the years free that I can offer, I ask not for pitty but just a kind jester. Thanks

My cousin was stayin the night and asked how $$ my ibook was worth so i said about $600 then she wanted to use it so i got up the next mourning and did not take to school cause i thought it might get hurt in this one class so she herad me wake then I put it in a cardboard box with my tv on top, i came home with door open my laptop gone and the phone, and a key missing when i left she took the key and came in when me and my mom was not here and knew where it was i mean how would a robber know it was there? So yea she took our phone so it gave her time to get away without me calling cops and it worked cause i did not call til 1 hour later when I got home, but there was no proof at all and she got away with it and ill never see it unless a dumbass trys to pawn it then the serial comes up, because of this I failed 2 semisters of English and Biology.

Well I got a tiny list of what I have that might interest you.

- Apple Quicktake 200 Digital Camera retails $150 all orignal stuff SUPER RARE!

- PowerMacintosh 9500 112RAM 2Gig Hd 14 applevision Monitor keybd mouse OS 9.1

- G3 233Mhz Ziff

- LC, Quadra 610, Performa 6300 with TV card, Video ports, ethernet, modem, 113Mhz 48Mbs Ram,

- Many mac parts, and PC

- AMD 500Mhz K6-2 3D now CPU card perfect condition

- DSL Modem

- Apple //e Complete system with all orignal parts and drives, over 100 Games and applications

- 19' Monitor, needs new internal power cable, very cheap to repair retails at $200

- name ne thing you might need or are interested in and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks, hope you find joy in one or a few of my things, email me too if you want TiMacLover@mac.com Thanks a lot!

This might seem familar from a post I made about a man selling his iMac, I am seing what I can do for both ends, I don't want to really wear out a laptop with all my use on it, but equal it out on a desktop also. Thanks!

menoinjun
Apr 17, 2002, 05:46 PM
First off...use periods...

Second off, why don't you sell all of your stuff off on ebay, and use that money to BUY a used iBook. Sorry, but you're not plucking my heartstrings.

I feel bad that your laptop got stolen, but my roomate used a 6500 for years and never failed a class.

-Pete

Arn- Could we put an end to these style threads?

TiMacLover
Apr 17, 2002, 10:17 PM
Sorry.......

Hemingray
Apr 17, 2002, 10:27 PM
I think your best bet will be eBay, like ptrauber said. You may get more for each of them seperately than as a whole. But don't take my word for it. :D

jelloshotsrule
Apr 17, 2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
I think your best bet will be eBay, like ptrauber said. You may get more for each of them seperately than as a whole. But don't take my word for it. :D

i'd agree with hemingray. if you sell things separately, people are more likely to find higher value in a particular item, as IT specifically meets their needs.

whereas it'd be tough for you to lump them all together and expect each piece to be worth top dollar if you figure out each's value.

i sold a g3 recently and sold the firewire card i had added to it as an add on to it... ie, "buy this g3, and if you want the firewire card, it'll be 40 bucks extra, but you don't HAVE to buy it..." that idea worked pretty well i think

AlphaTech
Apr 18, 2002, 12:20 AM
Too bad about your laptop being stolen. Personally, I would have gone and gotten it back or called the cops right away (making sure that it just wasn't hiding on me).

Most of us worked very hard, saved, or financed our computer purchases.

I had to use my typewriter or the college's computers while I was going. Typewriters are very cheap, and are all you really 'need' to get through college. Computer coarses typically involve lab time, which gives you the use of those computers to do the tasks required. I don't know of any college that requires you to have a computer. It might be true that you need to use one, but they provide access to them for you.

Sell what you can on ebay and use that to buy a system. Looking for a handout is just not going to work on us here.

TiMacLover
Apr 18, 2002, 12:47 AM
I am not in college, I am in high school. I am not looking for a hand down, I did not ask just for something for free nothing in the world is free, I got lots of things I can trade but I am taking this thread down.

rainman::|:|
Apr 18, 2002, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by TiMacLover
I am not in college, I am in high school. I am not looking for a hand down, I did not ask just for something for free nothing in the world is free, I got lots of things I can trade but I am taking this thread down.

I'm not sure you're able to do that anymore.

Jeremy, we're not angry with you, don't take it personally. But realize most of the people here have struggled very hard to get any of their computers. Also realize people in high-school may have a skewed perspective. When I was in high school, I had an LC II to do all of my work on, and I was happy, because it was an upgrade from an SE. Keep in mind I graduated in 00, this isn't like a decade ago or anything. All my friends had top of the line Performas, Power Macs, Powerbooks, you name it, and their parents bought them new stuff all the time. My parents were not nearly wealthy enough to spend that kind of money. So I made do. When the iMac came out (Blueberry not Bondi) my father finally financed me one, and let me tell you, I never appreciated a computer more. From 33 MHz to 300. It served me very well.

Then it went outdated and my friends all had new computers again.

Point is, life isn't fair, some people really struggle to get by. I'm one of them. Won't go into my sob story, but rest assured it's there. You've got hardware that I would have killed for... I don't understand why a 9500 won't do what you need - it should be fine for most courses... and like was said earlier, your programming course (as well as graphics, if it's computer based) should come with adequate lab time. And if you failed courses (high school no less!) because of a missing computer, I suggest you go back to this thing we all had in the stone age, called a textbook. That, combined with the add-ons of a pen and paper, work wonders. I've used enough of 'em to know.

Seriously, Jeremy, don't take this personally. It's not meant to be a reflection on you as a person, just our opinion based on what you said.

:)
pnw

AlphaTech
Apr 18, 2002, 09:22 AM
When I was in high school, I didn't have a computer to use for that. I had a typewriter to do all my reports on. I never failed a class becuase of no computer.

As paulwhannel mentioned many of us have done much more with much less then you either have or had (before the theft). I didn't have a computer of my own until I had a job that paid fairly well. Even then, I financed it through a family member for 3 years. Now, I have my own computers, down to two from three :D, but I am a tech after all. I do intend to PURCHASE a new system right after either MWNY or MWSF, depending on what is released.

I suggest you get a job, or if you already have one, get more hours. Use that money to get a new(er) computer. Looking for pity handouts just isn't going to fly here. As both paulwhannel and myself have pointed out, we worked hard to get our current systems. You will appreciate it all that much more if you do to.

Hemingray
Apr 18, 2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
I'm not sure you're able to do that anymore.

Not to encourage this thread going down, but I believe you can. All the thread-starter does is edit his original post, and there will be a checkbox option at the top of the edit page that will allow you to delete your post. Since the post is the first in the thread, it will delete the thread.

But please don't delete the thread. Each thread has something valuable to others, especially if there have been more than just a couple posts.

rainman::|:|
Apr 18, 2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
Not to encourage this thread going down, but I believe you can. All the thread-starter does is edit his original post, and there will be a checkbox option at the top of the edit page that will allow you to delete your post. Since the post is the first in the thread, it will delete the thread.
Hmm... now i'm curious, i've tried to do it before (delete a post) and was not able to, it said I didn't have permission to access the page I was requesting, or some damn thing... did I do something to my account? i assumed it was universal, that the feature had been turned off or something...

:confused:
pnw

TiMacLover
Apr 18, 2002, 02:37 PM
I thought there was a way but there isn't

blackpeter
Apr 18, 2002, 02:48 PM
There is a way: Make Money!

Thanks Travis for taking us down this road. I'm still paying off my G4. Quit your virtual beggary.

AlphaTech
Apr 18, 2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by tfaz1
There is a way: Make Money!

Thanks Travis for taking us down this road. I'm still paying off my G4. Quit your virtual beggary.

Bravo!!... Get a job, if you already have one, get another or more hours from that one. There was a point during high school where I needed more income (over a summer). I worked three jobs for a while, then had to drop one since I wasn't getting enough sleep. Worked at one restaurante doing the dishes/busting tables, went from that one (morning job) to the pizza place where I was one of the top cooks (one other above me because of time on the job). From there (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday's) I would go to a 7/11 and work the late shift. I tried to schedule them so that I would have 8 hours to eat and sleep each day, but with time to get to each, it proved to be much less. I dropped the 7/11 job after about 2 months, and then the day restaurant when it was getting close to school starting again. I did keep the pizza place job all through high school though. Learned some good things, and generally had fun while working. Granted in FL it was brutal during the summer, but you just have to drink enough water to make up for it.

Things we all (well, the ones that are not looking for handouts or begging) did for money... I am glad that I only need one job right now. Even though I do some tech support on the side. That helps me get the items that I wouldn't normally, or pay off some bills faster.

mcrain
Apr 18, 2002, 04:13 PM
You really should sell all your junk on ebay, take the money you raise, and rather than buy a used ibook, hire a lawyer and sue the person you know stole the old laptop.

I'm sure there are a few sharks like myself who would be more than happy to take your money, I mean help you.

Taft
Apr 18, 2002, 04:19 PM
I'm currenty trying to pay off debt from the old model TiBook (at a discount of course!) that I bought just before X-Mas. Just like everyone here has said, many of us make sacrifices for the Macs we own. And you seems to be willing to make sacrifices by selling things you own.

But charity requests for things like Macs are usually not very well received, and for good reason. I mean owning your own computer is a bit of a luxury item when you are in school. Most schools have labs where you can learn and do your work, so saying you need it for school is really not true. I went my first two years in college without a computer and had saved up enough where I could buy one then. I was a computer science major and did all of my work in the lab (writing ideas on paper sometimes, until I could get to the computer).

Was it a bit inconvenient? Sure. But I survived. And I think the experiences I had in the labs were all positive. I mean the computer lab is the closest thing you can get to a social activity in the computer science world. :D

My advice is to save up amd sell off your equipment until you can afford a computer. Then hold your head high when you buy one and you worked hard through bad times to get it.

Matthew

Mr. Anderson
Apr 18, 2002, 05:14 PM
Absolutely, sell the stuff on ebay. You could probably get enough to buy what you want right back on ebay. I'd not let your cousin get away with what happened, call her on it.

And blaming failing courses on not having a computer is pretty lame, by the way.

Oh, Travis' post hasn't netted him anything either.

Maybe we should start a new section if this becomes a trend. I really hope it doesn't.

TiMacLover
Apr 18, 2002, 08:11 PM
Sadly no one here wants to hire a computer smart person who is 15 1/2 and looks like he is 10! also i tried at all teh fast food places's! Now I shall sell my stuff on eBay! Thanks for the help.

Mr. Anderson
Apr 18, 2002, 08:37 PM
Good luck on the sale. You might want to post it here when you've got the pieces up. I hope you get enough to buy another iBook.:D