Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayakuu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
I was playing gpsphone for about a good 45 minutes, when i realized i only had a quarter of my battery left, and i had a near full charge! So i thought this was suspicious, so when i went home, i was going to completely drain my battery, and charge it again, for extended battery life. I left SSH and WiFi on, to quicken the battery drain,also i didnt leave it on sleep mode. when i realized it took almost 2-3 hours to drain, to 10%, its still on right now. Is there a way to fix the battery life indicator? Cuz its seriously messing me up. This happens while i surf the internet, or play videos, music etc...

I didnt actually let my ipod touch's battery fully discharge yet, but does anyone know if this actually works Or will this damage the battery?

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
iPods update the battery indicator dynamically based on their load. The app you were using could have been a big drain on the CPU, causing the battery to drain more quickly and making the iPod think it would die soon. AFAIK, the indicator is based on time left based on current usage and not an actual percentage charge left.

hayakuu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
i see i see, but should i let my battery completely discharge or drain, like say once a month? Then fully recharge it again? meaning draining it until the point where the touch wont turn on unless i charge it.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Haven't had an issue so far, but I've noticed since the jailbreak on 1.1.2, my battery icon sometimes flips between the fluorescent lime green icon and a regular flat monotone icon.

Vigilante

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2007
Florida.
Haven't had an issue so far, but I've noticed since the jailbreak on 1.1.2, my battery icon sometimes flips between the fluorescent lime green icon and a regular flat monotone icon.
Are you kidding? That is normal, there are two of every icon in the Status Bar depending if you are in an application or not.

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
the old nickel metal hydride style batteries could develop "memory" effects, prompting the necessity of draining completely periodically.

the new Lithium Ion batteries have no memory effect. There is no need to drain them at al.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.