PDA

View Full Version : New 15" PB Switcher

KBFinFan
Sep 26, 2003, 09:46 AM
My name is Kyle Brown and I use a Macintosh.

It came yesterday, only nine days after being announced so I was thrilled. Opening the package was like christmas. Everything was so neat and tidy.

I have always had a secret passion for Apple. When I got my first real computer back in 1995 I think it was a 486/66mhz AST from RadioShack that actually stood the test of time much better than most. I had asked and asked for a Mac, but my parents knew better I guess and I joined the PC world. After that I got a Gateway PIII 600 when I entered high school, which seemed like a supercomputer to the previous model. Then off to college I got a 1.4GHz Athlon model (from NuTrend.. highly recommended) which I still have and actually like. I really had no problem with Windows.. but the mac.. it just seemed a lot more fun.

At the beginning of the Summer I wanted an iMac.. then an iBook.. then an iMac. Finally I decided I'd go pro style w/ a PB. But, oh the wait until the 15". To make a long enough story short I ordered my 15" Tuesday morning before my 8AM class (EDT). Thus began the countdown....

Yesterday when I sat down and opened my computer I couldn't get over the technology and design that goes into it. It's artwork.. not just a computer. It seems to have a life of its own.. it is a technological being. Using yesterday was amazing, everything was so simple so tight. So beautiful. I had no problems with the screen, the latch, or warping. Yes, there is a gap, but its supposed to be there. I took some pictures, but they aren't that good... too excited to focus.

As I continue my Mac journey I would like to thank everyone for keeping me company over the last few months and for always being polite and helpful.

My name is Kyle Brown and I am a switcher.

Pics (http://homepage.mac.com/kbfinfan/PhotoAlbum1.html)

Counterfit
Sep 26, 2003, 10:15 AM
1.) Darn you and your working latch :P
2.) the only thing you should need the Manual for would be to calibrate the battery. Maybe. But remember to do it.
3.) Check out my pics (http://homepage.mac.com/counterfit/PhotoAlbum5.html).

matthew24
Sep 26, 2003, 10:52 AM
We share your feelings. Congratulations.:) :D ;) :cool:

KBFinFan
Sep 26, 2003, 11:27 AM
Ya I was kidding about the instructions... I made sure that I calibrated the battery. Ya so far no latch troubles, so I am pretty happy. No dead pixels either.

patrick0brien
Sep 26, 2003, 12:26 PM
-KBFinFan

Most latch troubles are caused by the user opening the lid and rolling the thumb over the hook before it has a chance to stow - so be careful.

KBFinFan
Sep 26, 2003, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I usually make it practice to push the latch wait a second and then go ahead and lift the screen.

Counterfit
Sep 27, 2003, 01:00 AM
Well, good news from me. My latch problem pretty much disappeared today. I don't know what happened, the last time I closed it was Monday, and then bam, today it works. So the only problem left now is speakers. That and lack of sleep :D.

ownersbox
Sep 28, 2003, 10:47 PM
Did I read yours right? You ordered it Tuesday? do you mean the 23rd or 16th?

Also what are your specs?

I ordered mine this past Saturday and I'm so excitied, I have been waiting four weeks for a Dell and cancelled the order once I used the new ALbooks at the local store. You can't beat the edu discount

Counterfit
Sep 29, 2003, 03:35 PM
Me? I bought mine at the store on the 18th.

uae
Sep 30, 2003, 05:34 PM
Yes...thanks to the new PB15 I am now a 100% mac user.

I got a dual gig g4 about a year ago for editing and I recently got the 15 PB as my main computer to replace my Dell.

Well honestly I'm around 90% switched now...I'm still using my Dell for QuickBooks and Quicken.

I was going to get QuickBooks but then I saw that they were upgrading to 6.0 soon so maybe I'll wait.

But my PowerBook is perfect. No problems at all.

It is a thing of beauty. Extremely well designed. And I love OSX...and Mail's junk filtering is doing a decent job of filtering out the millions of junk mails that i get.