PDA

View Full Version : Apple Doin' the Logo-Motion: Apple looks poised to refresh ...

MacBytes
Sep 26, 2003, 09:47 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple Doin' the Logo-Motion: Apple looks poised to refresh its famous logo (http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,60597,00.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

dukemeiser
Sep 26, 2003, 12:53 PM
Ok, can somebody post screen shots of this? I think it looks good, and may get people (peecee users) to realize that Apple has changed somewhat, and take a second look at Mac OS X and G5s.

JtheLemur
Sep 26, 2003, 01:46 PM
http://www.appleinsider.com/images/panther_server_login.gif

jer2665
Sep 26, 2003, 02:24 PM
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII like it.

machan
Sep 26, 2003, 02:27 PM
i like it for the most part (except that swoosh across it is distracting and sorta weird).

what i find funny is the petition to stop the move to the metal look for panther. a little late for that guys! haha. (and personally, i think the new look is a big improvement).

Nicky G
Sep 26, 2003, 02:28 PM
Server has always had a grey apple as the Apple Menu. Keep that in mind.

Jerry Spoon
Sep 26, 2003, 03:04 PM
I like it. It's still a clean and modern look with a little depth to it to make you really look at it. Looks a little bit like the metallic apple on the cd drawer cover of my emac.

arn
Sep 26, 2003, 03:07 PM
speculation.... :)

arn

simX
Sep 26, 2003, 03:11 PM
Is Apple's official logo still the multicolored one, or what? I know they stopped using that on their products, but is it still their official logo? Or have they changed it to a solid-colored one that's different from the chrome one that is present in the new build of Panther?

j33pd0g
Sep 26, 2003, 03:24 PM
I really don't think of it as a logo change. I welcome the new theme. However, I don't think I would like it if they decided to go with something like a whole apple. Or worse, a basket of apples.

nagromme
Sep 26, 2003, 03:50 PM
The rainbow logo is gone. The official one is a solid color--and I expect it to stay that way even though they may have versions of it (in reality and in OS images) made from other materials than just solid ink.

I've heard this new Apple appears on bootup, above the spinner? That sounds like an improvement.

j33pd0g
Sep 26, 2003, 03:55 PM
I wish they'd change the rainbow beachball to something... well... something a little less beachbally. Maybe a panthercow.

themadchemist
Sep 26, 2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by j33pd0g
I wish they'd change the rainbow beachball to something... well... something a little less beachbally. Maybe a panthercow.

Or a brushed metal dogcow, to stick with Apple's habit of keeping the same logo "shape" and replacing the colors.

bennetsaysargh
Sep 26, 2003, 06:26 PM
i miss moof!

i don't really feel strongly about the new logo, but i am not in favor of the whole brushed metal finder. i would like metal, not brushed metal.

WM.
Sep 26, 2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
i miss moof!
Actually, the dogcow's name is Clarus. Not to be confused with Apple's old software subsidiary Claris. :)

WM

bennetsaysargh
Sep 26, 2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by WM.
Actually, the dogcow's name is Clarus. Not to be confused with Apple's old software subsidiary Claris. :)

WM

he's still moof in my heart:(

Phil Of Mac
Sep 26, 2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Nicky G
Server has always had a grey apple as the Apple Menu. Keep that in mind.

So do I. The option's in the General pane of System Preferences. "Graphite" is the official moniker.

She.

If the dogcow were male, it would be a dogbull, and we already have bulldogs, and God doesn't like to have naming problems. (Roughly paraphrased from the Apple tech note on the Dogcow).

VicMacs
Sep 26, 2003, 09:12 PM
it looks sharp and classy

bbarnhart
Sep 26, 2003, 09:16 PM
I don't get that swooping line right in the middle. A chrome Apple logo would be great, but that one looks funny.

Phil Of Mac
Sep 26, 2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by bbarnhart
I don't get that swooping line right in the middle. A chrome Apple logo would be great, but that one looks funny.

The swoop isn't really new. You'd see it on old (1998-1999) Apple commercials.

richie
Sep 27, 2003, 02:17 AM
I think the swoop is great - it echoes the Finder icon's nose, particularly the Finder icon from Panther :)

j33pd0g
Sep 27, 2003, 03:30 AM
I like the SU button!

SubGothius
Sep 27, 2003, 06:34 AM
FWIW, the olde-skoole logo was apparently finalized as multicolored only because Steve wanted the logo to emphasize that the Apple ][ could display in color (http://www.kelleyad.com/histry.htm).

IIRC, the logo as registered with the USPTO is a solid-black logo-shaped silhouette, so they can do pretty much anything they want within that outline and have it still conform to their officially reg'd trademark shape specifications.

IMHO (continuing my apparent tendency to start every line so far in this post with an FLA %^), this latest chrome variation of the logo r0x0rz. I want a couple of those in real metal to replace the manufacturer's logos on my car. :D

bennetsaysargh
Sep 27, 2003, 07:29 AM
why do i keep on messing up clarus?
i forgot where it is, but there is a 2 part history of clarus on apple's site.
a good read if you can find it.:)

NicoMan
Sep 27, 2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by bbarnhart
I don't think the swoop was absolutely necessary, but I would venture it enhances the curved-surface feeling of the logo. I, for one, find it sleek and very pleasant to look at.

NicoMan
Sep 27, 2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by SubGothius
I want a couple of those in real metal to replace the manufacturer's logos on my car. :D
Now that's what I call a Mac nut!

NicoMan
Sep 27, 2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by j33pd0g
Whatever they change it too (IF they change it), you will hate it, cause it's usually a bad omen...

Skandranon
Sep 27, 2003, 01:03 PM
A crack in the apple is what that looks like. Thumbs down, dudes.

The chrome looks hot; the swoosh does not.

:(

Phil Of Mac
Sep 27, 2003, 02:25 PM
The swoosh is a reflection. If there was no swoosh, it wouldn't look right, because chrome is reflective.

bennetsaysargh
Sep 27, 2003, 04:02 PM
i think it doesnt have to be chrome
it can be metallic.
minus the swoosh.

lduncan
Sep 27, 2003, 04:25 PM
Here is the official dogcow webpage:

http://developer.apple.com/products/techsupport/dogcow/

bennetsaysargh
Sep 28, 2003, 08:46 AM
thank you so much for finding it!
this is awesome!:D

kwajo.com
Sep 28, 2003, 08:50 AM
i like the logo cause it reminds me of my departed iMac G4. that chrome apple was my favorite part of the design

ant_s
Sep 28, 2003, 01:53 PM
Am I the only one that's noticed...but it doesn't look to me that the words Mac OS X are in the usual Myriad font. It looks more like Lucida Sans Bold, which is similar, but not Apple's font.

I'd expect it to look more like this:

http://www.asdesignweb.co.uk/macosx.gif

Anyone else agree?

If so, might this be a fake?

gopher
Sep 28, 2003, 02:27 PM
The silvery Apple logo is old hat. I've seen a few official Apple documents like receipts that have them on them. And recently, the Apple logo on the bag I got from Tysons Corner Apple store is also silvery. One could say Apple has gone all Aluminum/Titanium.

Watch out, the next iPod will be made of Aluminum!

:D

I will say this much. Considering how aircraft are painted so frequently, I wonder if anyone has decided to mod the Aluminum Powerbooks yet.

iHack
Sep 28, 2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by ant_s
Am I the only one that's noticed...but it doesn't look to me that the words Mac OS X are in the usual Myriad font. It looks more like Lucida Sans Bold, which is similar, but not Apple's font.

I'd expect it to look more like this:

http://www.asdesignweb.co.uk/macosx.gif

Anyone else agree?

If so, might this be a fake?

Hmmmmm the *usual* Myriad font? 'About this Mac' in my problem free 10.2.8 shows a serif kind of font (I don't know which specifically). Maybe that's why 10.2.8 behaves so shoddy on some Macs, it's a fake too! Arrrrgggggh!

M.

iHack
Sep 28, 2003, 05:22 PM

Well, that's what he/she/it said, apparenlty. They even have a soundfile of the little beast saying moof on the Apple site for Clarus (developer.apple.com/products/techsupport/dogcow/moof.au). It sounds like a cow, that's interupted halfway through its mooooo. LOL :D (a loving pat on the nose? walked into a fence? a unsuccessfully suppressed sneeze?)

M.

PS: BTW I think she a he. A she would have been Clara, not Clarus, wouldn't (s)he?

bennetsaysargh
Sep 28, 2003, 05:37 PM
i think it's a sneze at the end. wow, they must have had fun making the soundbyte:p

Phil Of Mac
Sep 28, 2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by iHack
Well, that's what he/she/it said, apparenlty. They even have a soundfile of the little beast saying moof on the Apple site for Clarus (developer.apple.com/products/techsupport/dogcow/moof.au). It sounds like a cow, that's interupted halfway through its mooooo. LOL :D (a loving pat on the nose? walked into a fence? a unsuccessfully suppressed sneeze?)

M.

PS: BTW I think she a he. A she would have been Clara, not Clarus, wouldn't (s)he?

From History of the Dogcow Part II:

For the "Moof!" sound we took a real cow and then Zz said "fff" into a MacRecorder; the "Foom!" is just the same sound played backwards.

Somewhere along the line I baptized the dogcow "Clarus." Of course she's a female, as are all cows; males would be referred to as dogbulls, but none exist because there are already bulldogs, and God doesn't like to have naming problems.

NicoMan
Sep 29, 2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by lduncan
Here is the official dogcow webpage:

http://developer.apple.com/products/techsupport/dogcow/
I find it hilarious that they would have an official page on the developper's connection website.

LimeLite
Sep 29, 2003, 05:32 AM
I could be crazy here, but I'm pretty sure the swoosh is necessary to migrate from the shiny top to the not-as-shiny bottom. I know I can't be the only one who's noticed that above the swoosh is shiny and below it is rougher, more brushed.

Someone also mentioned that this logo is on the newer boxes of some iMacs, and that the shininess is reversed (shiny on bottom, rough on top). Can anyone confirm this?

jayscheuerle
Sep 29, 2003, 10:10 AM
or no swoosh?

The reflection without the swoosh looks similar to the New Quicktime & iTunes buttons, as well as those in Jag's Finder.

Phil Of Mac
Sep 29, 2003, 03:17 PM
The question isn't swoosh or no swoosh, it's the prominence of the swoosh.

Apparently, the swoosh was a bit more apparent than necessary. I'm sure Apple will make the swoosh less apparent so it blends in and doesn't distract from the apple shape.

drjekyl
Sep 30, 2003, 01:10 AM
This logo isn't all that new. It's been on the front of the sotware CD's envelope for almost a year now. My buddies iBook came with this logo on his CD bundle. Check your own.

welfaremike
Oct 5, 2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by drjekyl
This logo isn't all that new. It's been on the front of the sotware CD's envelope for almost a year now. My buddies iBook came with this logo on his CD bundle. Check your own.
I just checked the software that came with my iBook, and it's similar, but not the same as the logo found in 10.3. The seperation between smooth and rough is better, and it's less diagonal, and more horizontal.

No swoosh.