Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GregE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Hey all,

I'm new to Mac and am waiting on my iMac 2.8GHz 24" to arrive. It should be here Thursday and I already have received my memory upgrade from OWC. I would like to use it to create DVD's of my home movies I took. I currently have a Sony HDR-HC7 so I know I can connect it right to the iMac. One question I have about that is will I need to buy a 4 pin to 6 pin firewire cable or did one come with my HC7?

I also have Hi8 tapes that I need to get into my iMac. I still have the camera I took them on so I can play them with it but it won't connect to the iMac. I've been reading the forum and have found the Elgato EyeTV 250 Plus and the Canopus ADVC55 from that. One of those is probably my best bet to import my Hi8 tapes, right? I know I could use the Elgato after to watch TV on my iMac so that is a plus. Is there any difference in the quality of the captured video using these? I'm trying to decide which to get.

Thanks

Greg

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
One question I have about that is will I need to buy a 4 pin to 6 pin firewire cable or did one come with my HC7?
You would probably know better than anyone on Macrumors what your camera came with...

I also have Hi8 tapes that I need to get into my iMac. I still have the camera I took them on so I can play them with it but it won't connect to the iMac. I've been reading the forum and have found the Elgato EyeTV 250 Plus and the Canopus ADVC55 from that. One of those is probably my best bet to import my Hi8 tapes, right? I know I could use the Elgato after to watch TV on my iMac so that is a plus. Is there any difference in the quality of the captured video using these? I'm trying to decide which to get.
The ADVC55 will import video into DV format. The EyeTV 250 Plus imports it in MPEG-2 format. DV is higher quality and easier to edit, at the expense of much larger files (~13GB/hour).

GregE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Thanks for the info.

Since I am coming from my analog Hi8 tapes, I'm thinking the ADVC55 is the better way to go. Does iMovie accept DV format since that is what I will be using?

I can sell it and maybe get something from Elgato to hook up my Dish receiver later.

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
iMovie accepts *only* DV format... which is one big advantage of the ADVC55. No conversion necessary.

The ADVC55 has s-video/composite/stereo audio inputs, so it will accept any source with an s-video output, including Dish receivers, cable boxes, VCRs, etc. You can use it as sort of a "dumb" monitor with software like Vidi (http://www.mitzpettel.com/software/vidi.php). One thing the ADVC55 cannot handle is high-def.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.