PDA

View Full Version : Wow, there is crap under my new iPod's screen and Apple doesn't care.

ZildjianKX
Sep 26, 2003, 10:40 AM
I just got my new 40 gig iPod, and brand new out of the box there is a white "paint" spec on the underside of the protective screen. I just got off the phone with Apple Care, and they refuse to clean it off or replace it since it is cosmetic.... this is my 3rd iPod, and I've never had anything remotely like this before... anyone have any advice?

Its really crappy since since its on the underside of the screen, it drops a shadow down on the LED.

KentuckyApple
Sep 26, 2003, 11:22 AM
If I recall, shouldn't you be able to pop off the plastic and remove that nasty paint speck yourself. I know it shouldn't have to come to that, but it seems you have few options.

Mblazened
Sep 26, 2003, 11:25 AM
take it back to the store and give them some real lip. If it obstructs your view of the screen, its defective. Don't take NO for an answer.

TEG
Sep 26, 2003, 11:27 AM
First, it doesn't affect the opperation of the iPod, then its not a big deal.

Second, take your iPod to an Apple Store and see if a "Genius" will do anything for you.
or
Goto a local Apple authorized dealer, they are nice, and will have more clout that you with Apple. Also, Apple has more money invested in dealer, unlike you they probabily go throught at least $1 Million annually.

Good luck,

TEG

ZildjianKX
Sep 26, 2003, 11:42 AM
Thanks... I was planning on taking it to the applestore.

Afterlooking at it more closely... its actually a manufacturing defect with the plastic "shield". It looks like a bit of white plastic was embedded in it somehow.

I'm not sure if they'll do anything... but it really wouldn't cost them much to replace the faceplate.

GUSTO
Sep 26, 2003, 12:09 PM
If you get no luck with taking it back to apple store, then my advice is to call the citizens advice burro and ask them about customer rights.

aphexist
Sep 26, 2003, 02:44 PM
Yes...talk to the burro...I've heard he is wise and charismatic, albeit smelly. He will definitely find a way to remove this nuisance from your otherwise flawless IPOD!

Seriously though, if they won't replace it, it would not be worth your time to pursue any legal proceedings. In the best case scenario, you'll spend about 10-12 hours worrying about it and you will get a replacement.

I'll buy this "tainted" pod for $350 and you get a new one. Sound good?

ZildjianKX
Sep 26, 2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by aphexist
Yes...talk to the burro...I've heard he is wise and charismatic, albeit smelly. He will definitely find a way to remove this nuisance from your otherwise flawless IPOD!

Seriously though, if they won't replace it, it would not be worth your time to pursue any legal proceedings. In the best case scenario, you'll spend about 10-12 hours worrying about it and you will get a replacement.

Ahh yes, you can buy my $500 40 gig ipod for $350...

aphexist
Sep 26, 2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Ahh yes, you can buy my $500 40 gig ipod for $350...

Awesome dude.

See? One man's trash is another man's treasure. I can tell you are the type that will not settle for anything less than perfection, just like Zildjian KX cymbals...

Gymnut
Sep 26, 2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by aphexist

lol. I don't know if the people at the burro will be exactly up in arms about a white paint speck. It's burreau people. Burreau!

rainman::|:|
Sep 26, 2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Gymnut
lol. I don't know if the people at the burro will be exactly up in arms about a white paint speck. It's burreau people. Burreau!

you don't have any idea how much i hope you're kidding. it's bureau. but then, we don't usually point out others' spelling errors around here, because we tend to make errors ourselves... hmm...

pnw

ZildjianKX
Sep 26, 2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
you don't have any idea how much i hope you're kidding. it's bureau. but then, we don't usually point out others' spelling errors around here, because we tend to make errors ourselves... hmm...

pnw

LoL, at least you guys made me laugh.

I've always heard about problems with Apple customer service... makes me not want to buy Applecare now... oh well.

ZildjianKX
Sep 26, 2003, 05:45 PM
Hey, I just realized the ipod also has a dead pixel! Sweet! Take that powerbooks!

Is this the first reported case of a burned out pixel on an iPod?

ZildjianKX
Sep 29, 2003, 06:00 PM
iPod fully replaced. Some people at Apple are a lot nicer than others.

Macmaniac
Sep 29, 2003, 06:16 PM
Yep they are like that, it all depends on who you get. I work at an Apple repair shop and we will usually try and replace whatever your throw at us if it is messed up, even if Apple balks a bit we try our best to please the customer.