Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which of these products was the greatest?

• Mac Portable

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Powerbook 100

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Powerbook 180c

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Powerbook Duo

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Powerbook 5300

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2001
This is yet another poll. If you haven't seen the others then let me explain. I will run 10 polls about what you consider the greatest product in that category. The highest ranking item in each poll will be placed into a final poll to find the "Greatest Apple Product of All Time" (at least according to us). This poll deals with early laptops. Also let me explain that "greatest" can mean whatever you want it to mean.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: Greatest Apple Product of All Time #3

Had to say the 180c, for no other reason than how much I wanted one... I think I had one given to me a couple years back, but i left it in a client's basement and forgot about it for a two years... afraid it'd be too unprofessional to go back for it :(

gotta say, this "greatest product" poll is interesting... i wonder what will win the finals!

pnw

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I'd say the portable
it was revolutionary and it changed the world of computers

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
a mac going portable took the computer on the road and they had to follow suit since compaq invented the world's first portable computer

but apple perfected it and the tibook is the portable's ultimate expression of portability and function

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
I'm gonna go ahead and pass on this one. I don't know anything about these. I'm not well learned on the whole portables world...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Even though I had a chance to work on three of those machines over the years, I never really liked any of them, they were too clunky. The laptop hadn't really gotten to the point where I found it worth while to use one until the TiPB. Now I love it, wouldn't do with out it. I'm passing on the vote too.

kevine

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2002
Palo Alto, CA
Best or worst?

Weird selection for this poll.

The Mac Portable was not very portable and didn't sell well. The PowerBook 100 was outsold by the 140 and 170 which were released on the same day. The 180c was EXPENSIVE, ate batteries like crazy and the color was more novelty than something useful for most people. While lusted after, I saw way more people getting the 180 instead. The 5300 would be a good choice if you were a masochist or pyromaniac. That would definitely be high on Apple's list of overall disasters. How many times was it recalled?

I guess the Duo gets my vote. It was hated by most, but had a serious cult following, and I'm surprised its concept was never revisited.

Personally I would go for the 140, iBook, TiBook as my top 3.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2001
Re: Best or worst?

Originally posted by kevine
The Mac Portable was not very portable and didn't sell well. The PowerBook 100 was outsold by the 140 and 170 which were released on the same day. The 180c was EXPENSIVE, ate batteries like crazy and the color was more novelty than something useful for most people. While lusted after, I saw way more people getting the 180 instead. The 5300 would be a good choice if you were a masochist or pyromaniac. That would definitely be high on Apple's list of overall disasters. How many times was it recalled?

I guess the Duo gets my vote. It was hated by most, but had a serious cult following, and I'm surprised its concept was never revisited.

Personally I would go for the 140, iBook, TiBook as my top 3.
These laptops were chosen for several reasons :
The Mac Portable was the first Apple Laptop, PB100 was the first PB and was a huge redesign, 180c was the first Apple color laptop and the 5300 was the first PPC laptop. The selections were not based on sales or popularity but simply which ones were the greatest leaps forward technology-wise. There was simply too many Powerbook variants to include.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I chose the PB 100. Mainly because I have one and I love it to bits!

I will laugh if anyone says the 5300 was the best! What a joke that was...

kevine

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2002
Palo Alto, CA
Re: Re: Best or worst?

Originally posted by asurace

These laptops were chosen for several reasons :
The Mac Portable was the first Apple Laptop, PB100 was the first PB and was a huge redesign, 180c was the first Apple color laptop and the 5300 was the first PPC laptop. The selections were not based on sales or popularity but simply which ones were the greatest leaps forward technology-wise. There was simply too many Powerbook variants to include.

The PowerBook 100 was released the same day as the PowerBook 140 and the PowerBook 170. Certainly these other two were much greater leaps (with 68030s) technology-wise than the PB100 which used the same cpu (6800 at only 16MHz) as the original Mac 128 (at 8MHz).

The PowerBook 180c wasn't the first color PowerBook. The PowerBook 165c was.

The 5300 was announced at the same time as the PowerBook 500 PPC. The difference though is that the PB 500s didn't cost Apple over half a billion dollars due to recalls, nor was it a serious threat to human life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.