PDA

View Full Version : iBook updates

ac2102
Sep 26, 2003, 12:38 PM
Evening all!

Well its evening here in the UK at any rate!

I know that most of you are still buzzing with excitement over the new powerbooks, and rightly so. However for those of us whose wallets are not of sufficient proportions to afford a powerbook, im sure that the iBook still remains the target.

At least that is true for me! The iBook remains the only mac without Airport extreme, and doesnt have USB 2. I would have thought that airport extreme is something to be expected, but is USB 2 a normal addition to consumer portables? Also, i think that an audio line in would be a welcome addition, and maybe a mini DVI out like on the new 12" PB. Of course an Update to the processor goes without saying.

Just wondering what you are all expecting (if anything).

Heres hoping!

---------
ac2102

PS. Can someone please tell me what the plural of Genius is? Thanks

rhpenguin
Sep 26, 2003, 12:58 PM
I own an 800MHz iBook and i think that the USB 2.0 and airport extreme would be a welcome addition, but there needs to be some incentive to buy a powerbook. I can see the USB happening, but the other features you can forget about... not too much is going to change on the iBooks. They are an entry level model and thats the way they are going to stay.

ac2102
Sep 26, 2003, 01:22 PM
The insentive to buy the Powerbook is still surely the processor, faster ram and the superdrive. Im not expecting any of those on an updated iBook, i was just hoping that some of the more standard consumer options would be made available. I can see the point in not including the latest revolutionary features, they should rightly be saved for the powerbook, but surely the simple things like an audio in should be included.

lmalave
Sep 26, 2003, 01:50 PM
I would expect USB 2.0 and Bluetooth in the next update for sure. The reason being that these technologies are all about compatibility with peripherals, rather than being a speed/performance thing (USB 2.0 is faster than 1.1, but still in practice it's slower than FireWire, which the iBook already has). I think Airport Extreme is also a strong possibility, since the cards cost about the same. I wouldn't expect to see a mini-DVI output, though - that would definitely be considered a pro feature.

ac2102
Sep 26, 2003, 01:55 PM
Bluetooth!

I totally forgot about that one. I was really looking forward to having a Bluetooth mouse as well!

Incidentaly, what video output does the iBook currently have?

Schiffi
Sep 26, 2003, 02:05 PM
I think mini-vga

CrackedButter
Sep 26, 2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Schiffi
I think mini-vga

Or mini USB2. :)