Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I may be the last person on earth that has never played. Of course there are tons of WoW threads and I skimmed through them. I simply want to know if it is worth starting right now fresh, and what I would need. I guess i would be putting it on my Macbook pro so I could do the mobile thing.
Thanks

Soab

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
What you will need is to be prepared to spend alot less time on school/work/beeing social :p Its VERY easy to get addicted! When you hit the max-level, you must spend hours farming for gear/money/reputation. I played for over a year and it took off. Once i stopped playing i realised how sick it was, its like you are living in both the real, and the virtual world. You may be one of the few who can control yourself to not play alot, but for most people wow is a lifestyle! I reccomend playing games where there is a pause button.

-Soab

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
The makers have crafted wow to be very goal oriented. Each goal leads to another. There's no end. There's always something else to do and they are very good about leading you to the next "thing".

That combined with the social aspects of the game (you get involved with a group of people and leaving them creates problems for them so there is pressure on you to complete the task - which may take hours).

Blizzards psychologists have done an excellent job creating a gaming experience that is very addictive.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Addictive, yes. Fun, Absolutely.

There are ways to approach WoW and after 3 years of playing I have reached a pretty good balance. Know that you will NEVER get everything you want from the game. It would take too much time and energy.

Look at WoW as entertainment and not a game.
You will never "win"
Find a guild to play with
Set play time rules
Enjoy seeing the world

WoW is entertainment like a movie instead you live this one. The goal is to take part in as much as the world as you can. This way you can see the story unfold. Those that get addicted feel they MUST get every last piece of loot. Unless you have hundreds of hours set aside to do this, it will NEVER happen.

merc669

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
Addictive, yes. Fun, Absolutely.

There are ways to approach WoW and after 3 years of playing I have reached a pretty good balance. Know that you will NEVER get everything you want from the game. It would take too much time and energy.

Look at WoW as entertainment and not a game.
You will never "win"
Find a guild to play with
Set play time rules
Enjoy seeing the world

WoW is entertainment like a movie instead you live this one. The goal is to take part in as much as the world as you can. This way you can see the story unfold. Those that get addicted feel they MUST get every last piece of loot. Unless you have hundreds of hours set aside to do this, it will NEVER happen.

Agree with Spankey on this completely. Setup some goals for how much you play and try and find a good guild. You can quit a guild at anytime. One thing I have found on Guild's is to avoid those that try and define they way you play or how you should build your character. It's your toon and the goal is to have fun and explore. As already mentioned you will never win and the world is never-ending. If it ever becomes work, then its time to take a break and enjoy something better.

Bill.......:apple:

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
WoW's not for everybody (nothing is, save for maybe water and oxygen), but for those it is for it is really addictive. I miss WoW, but can't play it right now. But I have this problem with all rpg-type games where I get bored of a certain class/race and think I'd have more fun with another and then switch so in all the time I've played I have one 60 and a bunch of 20-40s. I also switch servers a lot, so I have to start new toons with no money, which isn't fun.

I also like that it runs really nicely on my old iMac G4 when other mmo's (and indeed all new games), like that pirates online, run like utter crap.

airwalke

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2004
Guilds are what make this game addicting. It's a fun game to solo, but depending on the type of guild you get into determines how "addicted" you'll get. Just stay away from the hardcore guilds that raid every single night for hours on end and create drama if someone's not pulling their own weight. ;)

Right now is a great time to start playing WoW. You probably won't ever notice the leveling changes, but the recent patch makes it much quicker to level from 20-60, and they added dozens of new quests to a relatively barren area quest-wise. A lot of people who already have characters at the max level are going back and creating new characters. As long as you don't take it personally if someone gets upset at you because you make a mistake because you're new to the game (and those kind of people are few and far between.), it's a fun, fun game.

Eric Piercey

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2006
Perpetual Bondage
Having played both extensively, I prefer EQ2. WoW is fantastic for a good year or two either solo or guild style, so you really can't go wrong. Geek out I say. Become a shut in. I have to live vicariously through others now that I'm an old fart with wife and kids.

IBitePrettyHard

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
I may be the last person on earth that has never played. Of course there are tons of WoW threads and I skimmed through them. I simply want to know if it is worth starting right now fresh, and what I would need. I guess i would be putting it on my Macbook pro so I could do the mobile thing.
Thanks
The answer is Yes.

And if you haven't started a character yet...make your character on the Skywall Realm (one of the 300 or so servers in the game)...I can help you out with gold to get you started, and can answer any questions you may have. My character's name is Ibitelegacy, so you can add him to your friends list or message me when I'm online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.