PDA

View Full Version : Anyone has a new MDD dual 1.25 (how is the noise?)

BIGgui_X_
Sep 26, 2003, 02:51 PM
I wonder if someone received his new MDD dual 1.25 (xserve based) and tested it compared with older MDD that where supposed to be noisy. I'm reading alot while waiting for my dual to ship in prevision of making some noise reductions modifications when i'll received it. I read somewhere that the new duals are quieter that olders MDD. Is it true, is it alot more quiet ? has Apple applyed the PSU mods that they where offering to previus MDD owneds on new models ? I have an eMac and find it noisy enough, so, I think that if the nre MDD are alot louder, i'l continue to read about G4 noise redutions !!

Thanks

junior
Sep 26, 2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by BIGgui_X_
I wonder if someone received his new MDD dual 1.25 (xserve based) and tested it compared with older MDD that where supposed to be noisy. I'm reading alot while waiting for my dual to ship in prevision of making some noise reductions modifications when i'll received it. I read somewhere that the new duals are quieter that olders MDD. Is it true, is it alot more quiet ? has Apple applyed the PSU mods that they where offering to previus MDD owneds on new models ? I have an eMac and find it noisy enough, so, I think that if the nre MDD are alot louder, i'l continue to read about G4 noise redutions !!

Thanks

What does 'xserve based' mean? Anyway, I got mine recently, and though you can obviously hear the fan, it's not as noisy as my Digital Audio 733mhz powermac (the one before Quicksilver came out).
I've never experienced the quietness of the G5s, so I can certainly live with it. I don't think it's as noisy as the 1.4ghz G4s that checked out at the store a few months back.

BIGgui_X_
Sep 26, 2003, 04:42 PM
I dont really know what it means but, that is what they say on the apple web site
http://www.apple.com/hardware/powermacg4/
:)

MacsRgr8
Sep 26, 2003, 05:23 PM
Based on Xserve is marketing for saying:
Same FSB, same DDR RAM, mutiple ATA busses.... etc.
The "architecture" of the MDD G4 is very similar to the Xserve, based on hardware mentioned....

I own a MDD FW 800 Dual 1.25, knowing the noise level.
To me its not a problem, as I use it at home, but I can understand why others could find the cooling noise too much.

But, there was a new cooling device for the MDD G4's power supply shortly after my Mac was introduced, which should drastically lower the noise..... So I assume Apple would have used these new ones in their latest MDD models.