Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Hi. I'm an amateur student photographer who is studying photography. I have never sold photos, besides what photos of mine are used in the school paper. I shot some photos some time ago at a bike race that passed through our town and put them on flickr. Just recently, one of the sponsors of the racers contacted me and asked if they could use the photo in their marketing campaign. I really have no idea what to do from here and how this stuff works. How much should I charge? What's the next step? Any advice or things to watch out for? Thank you.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
You want to get it in there so it might make sense to be reasonable with them. I'd recommend an amount under $100. But it's hard to say.

It's a lot better to get it in there and have it to show off than to make $20 extra bucks (in my view.) Not knowing the specifics, I'd ask for $75, your name in small print crediting you, and a free copy of the publication.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
There's a calculator online to figure out editorial cost and how much to charge for your image depending on the size of the page and how many runs etc. I probably wouldnt charge what the calculator says you can try but definitely dont sell the shot for like $10. The other thing you might try if you're trying to get more serious about about photography is to say ok I'll give you the shot use it for the promotions BUT the photo has to have my info as credit like a name and phone or email address.. maybe something along the lines of Photo by: so and so - ###.###.#### or email addy.

Anyways best of luck on the photo! I know how exciting it is to have someone approach you for use of a photo you took!

P.S. You could give them a discount on the piece along with your info on the photo as a deal, and get things in writing also emails and what not its easy for people to screw others these days with photography.

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Ok. I talked with the guy. The photo is for a small print, less than 500 copies, for an inside shot. They offered $90, saying thats what it would cost on a stock site. My friend suggests I ask for $120.

What about contracts and all that? Are there templates or anything online?

Thanks

hmmm...according to the calculator online...

Type of Use:: Advertising
Specific Use:: Brochures / Catalogs
Press Run:: 10,000 or less
Size:: 1/4 Page or Spot use
Low Price:: $275.00
Average Price:: $425.00
High Price:: $575.00
Survey = 136

That seems a little high though...

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Ok. I talked with the guy. The photo is for a small print, less than 500 copies, for an inside shot. They offered $90, saying thats what it would cost on a stock site. My friend suggests I ask for $120.

What about contracts and all that? Are there templates or anything online?

Thanks

hmmm...according to the calculator online...

Type of Use:: Advertising
Specific Use:: Brochures / Catalogs
Press Run:: 10,000 or less
Size:: 1/4 Page or Spot use
Low Price:: $275.00
Average Price:: $425.00
High Price:: $575.00
Survey = 136

That seems a little high though...

Offer then a limited license for that, with a 500-1000 copy limited license at $130 or so. They probably won't over-negotiate for one image.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Is it worth haggling? $90 is a good payout for a shot. If you ask for $120 and they look somewhere else, then you're out of luck.

Take the $90 and run!

Art-Smith

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
How much

The company offered $90, I would take $90. There is no use getting greedy. Normally companies will offer a fair price for an image. They normally have internal scales they go buy in terms of what they will pay. Perhaps the next time they will need the photo for a bigger use and will pay you more.

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
I have a contract typed out for them to sign to say they can't use more than 1000 copies of my photo, and it can only be used for that one publication (and that I still retain rights, of course)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.