Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serge2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Long Island, NY
When i ordered my 12" PB, i ordered the bundle too.... my 10 gig ipod came today and the battery was charge up to 3 bars i think.. is this common?? just wondering cuz im scared its a refurbed or something....but it looks brand new.... anyways just wondering..

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Mine was like that too. No worries. It was probably charged days ago, and has just been sitting in a box for a week. The charge is bound to lessen. Just charge it up in the dock (If you got the dock as an accessory).

Good Luck.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
its different all the time. sometimes they come fully chargerd, partly charged, and rarely charged barely.

iJon

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
mine was not charged, but it was an open-box return (it didn't have the software, and i guess they either had a pc or didn't realize the software was already on their computer...).

Hugin777

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
Copenhagen
Re: Do new ipods come charged already?

Originally posted by serge2k
my 10 gig ipod came today and the battery was charge up to 3 bars i think.. is this common?? just wondering cuz im scared its a refurbed or something....but it looks brand new.... anyways just wondering..

Li-ion batteries do not like to be left uncharged for prolonged periods. So I guess they are charged right before packaging.

You might also want to read "iPod: About Battery Care"

cypher

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2003
The old iPods are charged 3/4's before the are packed.Dont know about the new ones but i think they do the same for those too...

serge2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Long Island, NY
thanks guys, just wanted to make sure.... since my brother bought the 30gig ipod and it came dead, figured there was something fishy going on since usually batteries in products do not come charged... hey these are my first apple products and surprises are bound to happen:D

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
i got my mk2 ipod (touch wheel) half charged, was good as i played around with it a bit in work (where i got it delivered to) :)

Also as said above Lith-Poy batteries (i think the ipod use theses) dont like to be flat for a long time, i tried charging a T68i i left go flat about 3 months ago...and got a grand total of 40mins running time....but next charge it was back to normal.

ProcrasT8

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
I bought the 10GB iPod together with the 12" PowerBook to take take advantage of the offer. I believe when I took it out of the box and powered it up for the first time, it was at about 3/4 charge. Just like everyone have mentioned, this is probably a normal thing and nothing to be worried about. Even the PowerBook was not fully charged, which is normal as well. As long as everything works and nothing seems to be broken, you're in good shape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.