Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I need some advice. Here's my problem.

I have a client who has requested a document he can email to potential clients. He does not want the client to have to actually open a file, so that pretty much rules out a PDF or any sort of document attachment.

Being the anal designer that I am, I would very much like to make this email look semi-professional and presentable.

Honestly, I only use Mail.app. I'm guessing that most of my client's potential customers will be using Outlook or whatever the big corporate enterprise email client is these days.

Is there a way to standardize an email I send out to people without them having to open a document or have a specific email client installed?

Ideally, I'd like to create something like the marketing emails Apple sends out.

Here are my specific questions:

1) Are Apple's marketing emails basic HTML with the images being hosted on Apple's server?

2) How do I actually make an email that will:
• Not have to be opened when the customer receives it.
• Appear somewhat standardized across various email clients
• Not appear or be treated as spam.
• If I use pictures/graphics, is it best for them to be hosted on a server somewhere or be attachments?

And just a disclaimer - this email I'm designing is solicited.

Thanks for your help.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
I've done several email campaigns. It can be tricky. Not everyone has HTML email either, so you may want to think about creating a plain text version and a HTML version and let the mail application decide which by declaring that in the header.

Yes, you will use absolute urls on a hosted server. There are a lot of things that do not work in email that do in HTML such as background images, so keep that in mind.

You will only be flagged as spam if you are sending this to someone who does not want to receive it. Make sure the domain/IP you are sending from isn't black listed. Also, depending on your list size, you may want to think about using an application which will send emails in "bursts". For example, if yahoo gets 15k request all at once, it thinks something is fishy and may possibly deny your request, so using burst you can send say 5 emails per second. But that is for big lists.

Past that, theres not much you can do to not get dumped into a bulk folder.

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
i like to embed the images in the message, so when they open the email its there right away, not waiting to pull in.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
You will only be flagged as spam if you are sending this to someone who does not want to receive it.

Careful, there. Alot of people use SpamAssassin and ProcMail filters on the server which check the message headers, body and complex rulesets that often flag spam. Sometimes the rules include excessive graphics in the message body, i.e. adware. So aside from white hatting the IP/domain, send out a few tests before the client sees it since it seems like the client wants fancy HTMLified emails sans attachments. Make sure their mail system doesn't reject HTML.

The content type header should be set to "text/html" via your script and simply design the E-mail as HTML with images inline and pointing to your web server. Some clients automatically insert images into the body even if you send as an attachment, but sounds like this client doesn't want to be bothered with checking his own mail client setting so sending HTML is the only way YOU control the mail format.

I like the advice offered to send both text/plain and text/html, btw. This is the best overall solution.

-jim

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Hey digging up this old thread,

What's the best way to send HTML mail? Hopefully it's not "Mail Contents of This Page".

I have been using ThunderBird with an EditSource extention, but even that attaches the images rather than linking to the actual http://www address that we have on our public servers.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Found out that Windows Mail has it :eek:

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 70
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.