PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 1.1.3 Coming Soon? Voice Memos, Disk Mode Support?

MacRumors
Dec 6, 2007, 11:03 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

According to CNet France (http://www.cnetfrance.fr/news/mobilite/39376117-3800004071t/de-nouvelles-fonctions-pour-l-iphone-des-cette-semaine.htm) (English summary provided by Electronista (http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/12/06/iphone.113.rumor/)), iPhone 1.1.3 is set to arrive as early as this weekend, and will pack some commonly-requested features such as voice memo recording and disk mode.

The disk feature behaves like the equivalent for iPods and will still block users from simply dragging and dropping content to load the phone with playable music, CNET says. Enabling disk mode should still allow knowledgeable users to browse the content on the phone, though this is not expected to be of any use to the hacking community, which has already gained access to the phone's software.

Apple released iPhone/iPod Touch Firmware 1.1.2 on November 8th (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/08/iphone-1-1-2-firmware-released/), although it did not become available through iTunes (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/12/iphone-1-1-2-firmware-officially-released-in-u-s/) until Monday, November 12th.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/06/iphone-1-1-3-coming-soon-voice-memos-disk-mode-support/)

skeen
Dec 6, 2007, 11:05 AM
I just want copy & paste! LOL.

Peace
Dec 6, 2007, 11:07 AM
"The disk feature behaves like the equivalent for iPods and will still block users from simply dragging and dropping content to load the phone with playable music, CNET says."

So what's the purpose of disk mode then ?

honeycrisp
Dec 6, 2007, 11:08 AM
Voice memo and disk mode would be nice, of course. I wonder if anything else will be included in the release.

I'd personally like to see some updates to the sms text app as well as video capture support. Anyone think that's likely to happen soon?

iphone529
Dec 6, 2007, 11:09 AM
I'll believe this when i see it.

plumbingandtech
I like gifts that keep on giving...

DrSQL
Copy and Paste would be lovely. So would some neat way to be able to highlight text and grab it.

longofest
Dec 6, 2007, 11:10 AM

I hear ya, loud and clear.

"The disk feature behaves like the equivalent for iPods and will still block users from simply dragging and dropping content to load the phone with playable music, CNET says."

transporting files. I got a 100 MB powerpoint keynote presentation that I need to bring with me to a meeting... For some reason I don't have a flash drive or online storage... You know the routine.

Squonk
I like the evolution of the iPhone. I gotta get me one soon...

Yeah, how about that copy/paste anyway....

plumbingandtech

Yah that is confusing. Maybe they mean dragging files (word excel, other types of work files.) to the iphone.

Any type of file except music or video.

Of course if we got a fracking PDF reader in the update that would be used for it as well.

transporting files. I got a 100 MB powerpoint keynote presentation that I need to bring with me to a meeting... For some reason I don't have a flash drive or online storage... You know the routine.

How cool would a Keynote player be for the iphone?

Peace
Dec 6, 2007, 11:11 AM

I know what you're talking about but if you cant drag and drop music how could you drag and drop data ? It's all the same.

plumbingandtech
Dec 6, 2007, 11:13 AM
I know what you're talking about but if you cant drag and drop music how could you drag and drop data ? It's all the same.

Mount on the desktop. Open iphone.

Any file that gets dragged in goes into a special locker area just for files.

Luis
Dec 6, 2007, 11:14 AM
So hopefully this update addresses the new bootloader differences and the Dev Tam, Elite and Geohot can start going full speed again. Please let it be.

And diskmode sounds like a welcome addition. It sounds like it would make jailbreaks easier in the future.

Phil A.
Dec 6, 2007, 11:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I think the point is you could drag and drop music to copy it around but it wouldn't be playable on the phone if copied like that

DiamondMac
Dec 6, 2007, 11:15 AM
iChat? iChat? iChat? iChat?

rockstarjoe
Dec 6, 2007, 11:16 AM

You can copy music to it just like you can the iPod, but that music will not show up when you browse the iPhone's iPod program. This is the same way all iPods currently operate. The disc acts like a hard drive on your computer, but dragging music or movies to it doesn't mean that you can play them back without adding them to iTunes and syncing.

Yankees 4 Life
Dec 6, 2007, 11:17 AM
how hard is it to add mms?

irun5k
Dec 6, 2007, 11:18 AM
I think what they are talking about is making the iPhone a big fat flash drive. No thanks. I don't want it to transport a file from point A to point B. I want it to transfer a file from point A, and then open the friggin file ON THE IPHONE! After all it is a handheld computer running OS X according to Jobs.

Squonk
Dec 6, 2007, 11:20 AM
You can copy music to it just like you can the iPod, but that music will not show up when you browse the iPhone's iPod program. This is the same way all iPods currently operate. The disc acts like a hard drive on your computer, but dragging music or movies to it doesn't mean that you can play them back without adding them to iTunes and syncing.

So, could you boot a mac from an iPhone then? You can on iPods, right? Just wondering....

4God
Dec 6, 2007, 11:23 AM

Wouldn't be much fun to iChat with your iPhone with somebody else who is also using their iPhone since you would have to turn the phone around to use the camera function....

KindredMAC
Dec 6, 2007, 11:24 AM
At this point, the features I would like to see added/refined to my iPhone are:
- Flash Support
- Multi Delete of Emails
- Disk Mode
- Better Auto Focus in the camera/Steady cam software option
- Navicon through Google Maps
- iChat

KindredMAC
Dec 6, 2007, 11:25 AM
Wouldn't be much fun to iChat with your iPhone with somebody else who is also using their iPhone since you would have to turn the phone around to use the camera function....

I think they mean the IM end of it......

4God
Dec 6, 2007, 11:26 AM

Ah, gotcha. Although video conferencing would be cool....., maybe BYOWEBCAM?

zombitronic
Dec 6, 2007, 11:27 AM
So, could you boot a mac from an iPhone then? You can on iPods, right? Just wondering....

Through FireWire, yes. Although I haven't been able to get my iPhone to sync through my iPod's FireWire cable.

a1kim
Dec 6, 2007, 11:29 AM
Has anyone noticed that while the iPhone can read Word Document files, it can't read RTF files? I find this really odd.

Manatee
Dec 6, 2007, 11:37 AM
Stop torturing me... These are features that would actually be useful to me -- especially "disk mode".

Now I'll just have to wait until I can open the .doc and .xls files that I save to my iPhone and edit them with DataViz's Documents-to-Go, iPhone Edition. :)

claytonaugust
Dec 6, 2007, 11:37 AM
Disk Use = iPhone played tracks scrobbling to Last.FM, FINALLY!

by the way, how great is it that I can read a Word Document on iPhone, but not a Pages document?

pacohaas
Dec 6, 2007, 11:38 AM

yeah, but who forgets their flash drive, and remembers to bring the iPhone USB cable?

...I'm just giving you a hard time. This is a welcomed feature and I was surprised when the iPhone didn't include it from Day 1 just like every other iPod. I wonder if they will add "Manual" mode as a part of this, allowing us to sync music from multiple computers like the iPods can.

claytonaugust
Dec 6, 2007, 11:38 AM
oh by the way, it's already possible to enable disk mode (showing up in disk utility and everything) by some command line stuff in terminal.

unfortunately I have no clue what it is...but apparently your computer already recognizes your iPhone as a USB device, but OSX and iTunes block out your computer from mounting it.

djcraze
Dec 6, 2007, 11:39 AM
Disk mode would not help the teams out there cracking the iPhone for homebrew, unless apple changed one huge thing. Right now, the iPod and the iPhone are on separate partitions on the phone. There is one partition for the iPhones apps and system files, and another that gets accessed by iTunes. The one that gets accessed by iTUnes is the larger partition for the iPhone. Enabling disk mode would probably mount the iPod partition. THis would allow the ability to browse the file structures of your iPods content (if you know what your doing). However, it will not gain access to the system files.

This is just a guess, but it makes sense.

nycgraeme
Dec 6, 2007, 11:43 AM
Would the disk mode then allow the use of the iPod camera connector on the iPhone/Touch? As an avid photog I would LOVE this functionality so that I would not have to lug a laptop or another device to download a card of photos for storage and then previewing on that amazing screen.

-G

dmcgann
does this mean that uk iphones can be fully unlocked??

Manatee
Apple should do "mobile" versions of Keynote, Pages, and Numbers for the iPhone. I'll bet big fat old Microsoft could never come up with something so cool for their devices. :)

ricosuave
Dec 6, 2007, 11:45 AM
Of course if we got a fracking PDF reader in the update that would be used for it as well.

You could put all the pdfs you want to load in iPhoto first and sync. That's what I do.

Manatee
Dec 6, 2007, 11:46 AM
yeah, but who forgets their flash drive, and remembers to bring the iPhone USB cable?
Cable? Just wireless sync via WiFi or Bluetooth!

Oh yeah... another missing feature. :(

Luis
Dec 6, 2007, 11:50 AM
Through FireWire, yes. Although I haven't been able to get my iPhone to sync through my iPod's FireWire cable.

You can boot off an Intel Mac off USB if i'm not mistaken.

plumbingandtech
Dec 6, 2007, 11:51 AM
You could put all the pdfs you want to load in iPhoto first and sync. That's what I do.

I tried that a long time ago, I was thinking more of ebook size pdfs.

Does that trick remember if I am on page 60 of 100 in a particular PDF?

I think it starts at page 1 the next time I open it?

Either way, Feb, we should see a solution witht he 3rd party kit.

Consultant
Dec 6, 2007, 11:55 AM

You can run Keynote presentation from the iPhone. You need to get the cable... Might have to export to quicktime or something like that.

kornyboy
Dec 6, 2007, 11:56 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

These things are nice but I'd personally like to see voice dialing in the iPhone. That's something that is pretty much a standard on other phones but doesn't exist yet on the iPhone.

Consultant
Dec 6, 2007, 11:56 AM

Good idea. I was going to suggest iTunes and smart play list (PDF works with iPod), but iPhoto idea sounds good too.

Consultant
Dec 6, 2007, 11:58 AM
Cable? Just wireless sync via WiFi or Bluetooth!

Oh yeah... another missing feature. :(

It's there if you jailbreaked your iPhone. Can access iPhone via wifi; you can have the iPhone as a network accessible device. (Well you should change the default password if you do it)...

phalewhale
I started a thread today in the iPhone forum asking if anyone knew when 1.1.3 was going to be released. Compile 'em all had this to say...

Yeah, these so called "places" are directly quoting info that have been circulating on IRC iphone-dev channels since weeks.

From the info I have, it will be released before xmas and highly probable will not update the baseband leaving those waiting for the new secpack in the dust.

No offence man, but I really hope your wrong. I'm hoping to buy an iPhone to use with my Vodafone SIM.

yegon
Full rez photo viewing please.

gguerini
Dec 6, 2007, 12:04 PM
At this point, the features I would like to see added/refined to my iPhone are:
- Flash Support
- Multi Delete of Emails
- Disk Mode
- Better Auto Focus in the camera/Steady cam software option
- Navicon through Google Maps
- iChat

Why not "Back to my Mac" too??? ;)

grumpy
Dec 6, 2007, 12:05 PM
PEAP! Gimmie PEAP for WiFi authentication!

/dev/toaster
Dec 6, 2007, 12:08 PM
For the love of god, they better include the ability to change the SMS ringtone. After the update is released, if they don't do it ... I am going to start emailing all of the executives 4 times a day from many different addresses until its solved. Hell, I still haven't upgraded past 1.0.2 because of this.

thingamajigidid
Dec 6, 2007, 12:10 PM
i want my iphone to send the music i am playing to my airport express so that i can jam throughout the house using my iphone and not my computer...... :(

do it now!!!!
please..

Eraserhead
Dec 6, 2007, 12:12 PM
Mount on the desktop. Open iphone.

Any file that gets dragged in goes into a special locker area just for files.

The other advantage is that hopefully we'll also be able to download files to the iPhone from the internet. Though that would probably come in version 1.2

timdorr
Dec 6, 2007, 12:14 PM
iPhone 1.1.3 is set to arrive as early as this weekend

Since when does Apple release software updates on a Saturday? Unless they mean a soft launch like 1.1.2, where the auto-update was delayed a few days.

mlenger
Dec 6, 2007, 12:16 PM
Just give me a multi-delete or "delete all" mail function - or better yet a junk mail filter

Phil A.
Dec 6, 2007, 12:23 PM
For the love of god, they better include the ability to change the SMS ringtone. After the update is released, if they don't do it ... I am going to start emailing all of the executives 4 times a day from many different addresses until its solved. Hell, I still haven't upgraded past 1.0.2 because of this.
The option to change to tone for incoming SMSs is showing on my 1.1.2 iPhone. Is this what you mean or something else?

whenpaulsparks
Dec 6, 2007, 12:24 PM

guess you haven't been paying attention to the iPod arena much. with the 5G ipods that came out a year or two ago, they dropped firewire support, and you can only charge it with a firewire cable. same thing with the iphone.

iVoid
Dec 6, 2007, 12:26 PM
The option to change to tone for incoming SMSs is showing on my 1.1.2 iPhone. Is this what you mean or something else?

Yeah, you've been able to change the SMS sound since 1.1.1

Unfortunately, you can't add custom sounds to the list (without jailbreaking, at least).

Really wish you could change any of the alert sounds and add custom sounds to the list.

SthrnCmfrtr
Dec 6, 2007, 12:28 PM
PEAP! Gimmie PEAP for WiFi authentication!

And LEAP.

neondiet
Dec 6, 2007, 12:28 PM
Before Apple get stuck into adding glitzy new features I'd like to see them fix a few of the missing basics.

1) There's a bug in Safari. When you tap a link that opens and takes you to a new page, the previous page (the one you just left) gets the link loaded as well. When you finish with the new page (close it) and try to get back to the original page, it loads the page you've just left, and the page history is wiped out so you can't go back using the left arrow. I've only had my iPhone a week and I've hit this too many times already. It's a real pain in the ass.

I'd also like it if there were an extra widget on the bottom Safari control bar that I could select before tapping a URL, to force a link to open in a new page. Like doing Command-Click in OSX's Safari. But that's a wish list item.

2) SMS needs to support sending to multiple recipients. I used this feature a lot before getting an iPhone.

3) Also the ability to erase individual comments from conversation streams is something I keep wanting to do. MMS I don't care about, though I know others do.

Those are the three most immediate short comings I would like to see addressed in 1.1.3

There are other things on my wish list for the future, like multi-calendar support. A well thought out ToDo list app that doesn't ape the other phones and look like it's been tossed in as an afterthought. And the ability to flag emails and do searches on them.

Having said that, a Disk Mode would be useful as I can dispense with having to carry around USB keychain drives all the time. I never seem to be able to find one when I need one too.

pacohaas
Dec 6, 2007, 12:44 PM
2) SMS needs to support sending to multiple recipients. I used this feature a lot before getting an iPhone.Spammer! I hate when I get these from people....oh, "Happy Thanksgiving" huh?, thanks for the ever-impersonal mass-text message jerk.

Daremo
Dec 6, 2007, 12:48 PM
Spammer! I hate when I get these from people....oh, "Happy Thanksgiving" huh?, thanks for the ever-impersonal mass-text message jerk.

What if you're texting a sports team, and letting them know what day and time practice is? There's a lot of practical uses for multi person SMS other then spamming.

twoodcc
Dec 6, 2007, 12:49 PM
where's my video capture?

pogwilson@ntlwo
Dec 6, 2007, 12:51 PM
1) Proper multi-calendar support with some color!
2) To Do support - I no longer use iCal's To Dos; I need them on my phone.
3) Manually manage songs and videos - like I can on my iPods (including the Touch)
4) Notes that sync with notes on my Mac
5) Better reception (O2 in UK - other phones work when iPhone can't; makes Apple - and me - look stupid)

That pretty much does it for me :cool:

KindredMAC
Dec 6, 2007, 12:53 PM
Spammer! I hate when I get these from people....oh, "Happy Thanksgiving" huh?, thanks for the ever-impersonal mass-text message jerk.

HA!!! Yeah and use up everyone else's SMS monthly numbers!

"Merry F'in Christmas, I just used up one of your SMS texts for the month schmuck!!!! Oh, what's this? New Years is next week too!!!!! MWAH-HA-HA-HA!!!!"

Foocha
Dec 6, 2007, 12:56 PM
There are loads of things that I'd like my iPhone to do, but at the core of these there's a few things that I think any smart phone should do:

1. Copy & paste
1. Send SMS messages to multiple recipients
2. Send contact details via Bluetooth
3. Work as a Bluetooth modem
4. To do lists (syncing with iCal/Mail)
5. Notes syncing (with Mail)
6. Voice Command & Voice Synthesis
7. File browser (i.e. "Finder")

I really hope Apple sort these basics before getting on to fancy stuff.

As for Disk Mode, this is useless given that the iPhone only has 8GB, and the vast majority of users probably use all of that anyway. Disk Mode would only be interesting in combination with a File Browser (see above).

Just my personal opinion :)

dr_lha
Dec 6, 2007, 12:57 PM
Disk Use = iPhone played tracks scrobbling to Last.FM, FINALLY!
Sorry, but you've just made a huge leap there. It doesn't mean that at all. Disk mode on the iPhone will most likely give you access to a sandboxed area to store files, it won't allow you to browse and modify the iPhone's OS/Music Store.

I.e. it won't work like a regular iPod does right now.

chr1s60
Dec 6, 2007, 01:03 PM

Agreed. What is the point of software updates if they continue to ignore what people are complaining about and want? I couldn't care less about disk mode, voice memos would be cool, but I would much rather have MMS, copy/paste, flash, or even some games.

overcast
Dec 6, 2007, 01:05 PM
For god sakes, MULTIMEDIA MESSAGING. Can we please take care of the basics before adding ********?

fozy
Dec 6, 2007, 01:05 PM
There are loads of things that I'd like my iPhone to do, but at the core of these there's a few things that I think any smart phone should do:

1. Copy & paste

As for Disk Mode, this is useless given that the iPhone only has 8GB, and the vast majority of users probably use all of that anyway. Disk Mode would only be interesting in combination with a File Browser (see above).

Just my personal opinion :)

Any Treo or Palm convert is likely addicted to the general PDA features of
1. Notes
2. Task manager (to do list)
3. Copy and paste

sva
Dec 6, 2007, 01:09 PM
I'd rather get MMS and Copy & Paste before Disk Mode.

Upgraded BT would be nice too, it would be nice to be able to send the photos I take via BT.

Island Dog
Dec 6, 2007, 01:13 PM
I really hope they add some kind of "select all" feature for the e-mail. Also, better support for Outlook contact groups.

:)

lazyrighteye
Dec 6, 2007, 01:16 PM

File transfer.

This has been the single biggest issue, for me, with my iPhone - still requiring I also carry an iPod with me for such things. Lame.

While I'll believe it when I see it, this would make a very welcome addition to my iPhone experience.

dernhelm
Dec 6, 2007, 01:18 PM

So I don't have to carry around an extra memory stick!

kavika411
Dec 6, 2007, 01:18 PM
Rotary dial, baby! Rotary dial!

lazyrighteye
Dec 6, 2007, 01:20 PM

I saw a guy give a Keynote presentation, connecting his iPhone to an overhead projector. He made some joke, something to the effect of "I hope I don't get a call during the presentation."
It was slick. And definitely a jailbroken iPhone.
This was before 1.1.2 was out.

philgilder
Dec 6, 2007, 01:21 PM
1) send files (photos mainly) by bluetooth
2) A2DP
3) multisms
4) to dos and notes (anyone watch the iphone intro video, notes syncing is mentioned there...)
5) video capture

Through FireWire, yes. Although I haven't been able to get my iPhone to sync through my iPod's FireWire cable
afaik firewire isnt supported, and hasnt been for the last 2 or 3 ipod gens...

Apple should do "mobile" versions of Keynote, Pages, and Numbers for the iPhone. I'll bet big fat old Microsoft could never come up with something so cool for their devices
either youre being sarcastic, or you dont realise there are already mobile versions for all windows mobile smartphones/pdas:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/software/officemobile.mspx
i used to have a windows mobile 5 pda, although it did crash a lot (typical)

There's a bug in Safari. When you tap a link that opens and takes you to a new page, the previous page (the one you just left) gets the link loaded as well. When you finish with the new page (close it) and try to get back to the original page, it loads the page you've just left, and the page history is wiped out so you can't go back using the left arrow. I've only had my iPhone a week and I've hit this too many times already. It's a real pain in the ass.

I'd also like it if there were an extra widget on the bottom Safari control bar that I could select before tapping a URL, to force a link to open in a new page. Like doing Command-Click in OSX's Safari. But that's a wish list item
i dont have that bug, never seen it on my iphone. but new tab option would be better. i think pressing and holding a link should open a new tab, rather than showing the url of the link...

I saw a guy give a Keynote presentation, connecting his iPhone to an overhead projector. He made some joke, something to the effect of "I hope I don't get a call during the presentation."
It was slick. And definitely a jailbroken iPhone.
This was before 1.1.2 was out.
hed probably exported from keynote as a mov or several image files he simply flicked through
id have thought keynote mobile would be too hard for a non-apple programmer to make that well and run fast enough...

Croatian
Dec 6, 2007, 01:22 PM
Just give me a chance to edit documents .... eliminates a reason to carry a crack berry with me since my iphone is only an eye candy till i can do my work on it while i am on the road

ShiggyMiyamoto
Dec 6, 2007, 01:23 PM
Arrange e-mails by thread. I don't see why that's not there yet... iChat would be a welcoming addition as well.

NYCAVS
Dec 6, 2007, 01:26 PM
Anyone know of any current or planned function that would allow one to "beam" one's contact info to another iPhone? Many non-iphone devices have IR-based features like this and when they try to connect with iPhone using bluetooth, etc. it seems very difficult to do this. Should be easier to allow for more business use and to facilitate getting friend's contact info in...

philgilder
Dec 6, 2007, 01:28 PM
Anyone know of any current or planned function that would allow one to "beam" one's contact info to another iPhone? Many non-iphone devices have IR-based features like this and when they try to connect with iPhone using bluetooth, etc. it seems very difficult to do this. Should be easier to allow for more business use and to facilitate getting friend's contact info in...
iphone doesnt have IR
most other phones can do this with bluetooth, but iphones bluetooth stack only currently supports headsets... not other devices such as phones and computers

QCassidy352
Dec 6, 2007, 01:28 PM
Good idea. I was going to suggest iTunes and smart play list (PDF works with iPod), but iPhoto idea sounds good too.

Or just email the pdf to yourself (that's what I do)

Just give me a multi-delete or "delete all" mail function

Good lord, yes.

2) SMS needs to support sending to multiple recipients. I used this feature a lot before getting an iPhone.

3) Also the ability to erase individual comments from conversation streams is something I keep wanting to do. MMS I don't care about, though I know others do.

yup and yup.

Arrange e-mails by thread. I don't see why that's not there yet...

absolutely.

As these comments indicate, the mail app is really the iphone's weak point. Please address it apple!

anonymous5001
Dec 6, 2007, 01:32 PM
how about allowing cisco vpn to work as SO many people need VPN for their WI-FI networks and although feb is around the corner it is SO vital and the VPN loaded already is rubbish!

copy and paste is vital
better ical would be easy and useful
sms program needs multiple recipients
would be nice to have call duration timers and message counters so you can monitor your monthly allowance better
better bluetooth connectivity wouldn't go a miss

all these things would be SO easy to do

InkMaster
Dec 6, 2007, 01:35 PM
please notes for iPod touch! Oh and email and whatnot...

NYCAVS
Dec 6, 2007, 01:36 PM
iphone doesnt have IR
most other phones can do this with bluetooth, but iphones bluetooth stack only currently supports headsets... not other devices such as phones and computers

Thanks. Hope someone works on this feature... seems weak to not have some interfacing feature. Wonder if it's for security? At least should be a way to have another device automatically send the info as an email then have the data easily absorbed into the contact list with user initiation...

lazyrighteye
Dec 6, 2007, 01:36 PM

This represents another personal annoyance with the iPhone.
I could care less what protocol Apple/AT&T use for sending txt and pix. It's all changing and evolving anyway. But AT LEAST when I receive a picture message from a non-iPhone user, give me a link I can touch that takes me to said image.

Every time I see that annoying "I sent you a multimedia message. You can view my message via the internet at viewmymessage.com using Msg ID y9y959u94j Password oursld89tu" I want to scream.
Am I supposed to find a piece of paper and a pen and jot down the ID & password, launch Safari, navigate to viewmymessage.com and then enter this info... every single time I receive a picture message?
How efficient is that?
Why can't that same info just contain a live link that I could simply touch?
Weak.

philgilder
Dec 6, 2007, 01:37 PM
please notes for iPod touch! Oh and email and whatnot...
wont happen
ipod touch is an ipod (with internet) - nothing more
notes, email, to do etc are all pda related tasks, not ipod so i dont see them ever going to ipod...

Thanks. Hope someone works on this feature... seems weak to not have some interfacing feature. Wonder if it's for security? At least should be a way to have another device automatically send the info as an email then have the data easily absorbed into the contact list with user initiation...
i dont think people can access the communications part of the iphone easily atm. i think its because apple need a way to have a file manager, without write access that can send files, but not send music files...

I could care less what protocol Apple/AT&T use for sending txt and pix. It's all changing and evolving anyway. But AT LEAST when I receive a picture message from a non-iPhone user, give me a link I can touch that takes me to said image.

Every time I see that annoying "I sent you a multimedia message. You can view my message via the internet at viewmymessage.com using Msg ID y9y959u94j Password oursld89tu" I want to scream.
Am I supposed to find a piece of paper and a pen and jot down the ID & password, launch Safari, navigate to viewmymessage.com and then enter this info... every single time I receive a picture message?
How efficient is that?
Weak.
this isnt iphone or apple, this is the network sending a standard message as it recognises the fact your phone cant receive mms.

InkMaster
Dec 6, 2007, 01:44 PM
wont happen
notes, email, to do etc are all pda related tasks, not ipod so i dont see them ever going to ipod...

What about notes on every single other iPod?

LtCarter47
Dec 6, 2007, 01:45 PM

Multi-recipient messages are far more useful than that. I used them all the time as well, it was a great way to let my Halo buddies know we are all getting online, a great way to get a bunch of people to meet somewhere with minimal time, etc. I never sent messages like "Happy Thanksgiving." Thanks for assuming, 'cause you know what happens when you assume.

THE JUICEMAN
Dec 6, 2007, 01:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Just give me a multi-delete or "delete all" mail function - or better yet a junk mail filter

I haven't got one single piece of junkmail yet. Gmail works great on the iPhone.

Also copy and paste has never seemed so useful until now....

Squonk
Dec 6, 2007, 01:48 PM

Is that to say that right now the Touch cannot view notes like the other iPods? Maybe once they enable diskmode for iPhone/Touch then this will be available. Of course, I'd like to have edit capability too. I've not played with a Touch, so take my questions with some salt.:)

HailToTheVictor
Dec 6, 2007, 01:55 PM

It's called Meebo

zombitronic
Dec 6, 2007, 01:58 PM
guess you haven't been paying attention to the iPod arena much. with the 5G ipods that came out a year or two ago, they dropped firewire support, and you can only charge it with a firewire cable. same thing with the iphone.

afaik firewire isnt supported, and hasnt been for the last 2 or 3 ipod gens...

That's right, I do remember reading about that, now. That's too bad, I've got a 3rd gen that lets me install OS X on it and boot via FireWire, although Apple advises against this due to overheating issues. Still, it was a cool feature.

NokX
Dec 6, 2007, 02:01 PM
i just want MMS, mass text messages, etc...

you know... the things that every other phone on the planet has these days.

InkMaster
Dec 6, 2007, 02:06 PM
Is that to say that right now the Touch cannot view notes like the other iPods? Maybe once they enable diskmode for iPhone/Touch then this will be available. Of course, I'd like to have edit capability too. I've not played with a Touch, so take my questions with some salt.:)

nope, no notes of any kind. But I hope touch gets the pretty notes synched with mail, rather then the .txt's in disk mode

pacohaas
Dec 6, 2007, 02:06 PM
What if you're texting a sports team, and letting them know what day and time practice is? There's a lot of practical uses for multi person SMS other then spamming.
Stuff like this should just be set up as an email list. The person on the list should have the choice of receiving these messages(and where to receive them, email or SMS) or else they are SPAM (unsolicited or undesired bulk electronic messages.)

mike12806
Dec 6, 2007, 02:07 PM

How about manual tv show syncing? I want to put certain episodes on my iPhone not just the last 5 unwatched or whatever. And I shouldn't have to change them to movies. Also, Bluetooth syncing for at least photos, email, and contacts is neccesary!

Squonk
Dec 6, 2007, 02:09 PM
nope, no notes of any kind. But I hope touch gets the pretty notes synched with mail, rather then the .txt's in disk mode

Oh yuck! Yeah - notes from mail would be nice for sure! Does the iPhone have that now? I really want that feature for shopping lists, music wish lists, etc.

phalewhale
Dec 6, 2007, 02:12 PM

Apologies if this sounds like I've had my head buried in the sand but was this a feature in 1.0.2?

philgilder
Dec 6, 2007, 02:15 PM
sorry, forgot!

phalewhale
Dec 6, 2007, 02:19 PM
Stuff like this should just be set up as an email list. The person on the list should have the choice of receiving these messages(and where to receive them, email or SMS) or else they are SPAM (unsolicited or undesired bulk electronic messages.)

Why not have distribution lists/groups within contacts? Then this could allow both either multiple Group SMS or email?

Wait a minute... Group SMS sounds a bit dirty... ;)

philgilder
Dec 6, 2007, 02:35 PM
MMS APP FOR IPHONE:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iphone/third+party-iphone-sms-and-mms-apps-fill-functionality-holes-330932.php

(send only, not receive...)

skp574
Dec 6, 2007, 02:38 PM
I am quite glad that Apple are rolling out updates to the iPhone.

For me I really miss some simple things from my Nokia.

Group ringtones, I have a ringtones for friends, family and work. I don't fancy going through each contact and assigning a ringtone.

Voice announcement of caller's name from Phonebook. - I REALLY miss this, it saves me from getting my phone out of my pocket to see who's calling
Profiles: Meeting, Pager, etc. I miss being able to disable ringing but have a simple beep when in meetings.

Other things that would be very useful:

Note syncing
Todos from iCal and calendar colouring would be good as I have a couple of calendars set up.
Flash and other video formats supported in Safari. I can't watch the BBC's video clips but they show the BBC news website in adds(!?!!) in the UK.
PDF support and being able to save files for offline viewing - I have a underground tube map that I would love to see on the phone when I am out and about in London.
Being able to send files over BT, such as pictures, texts and ringtones.

Oh and WIRELESS Syncing please, I don't have my dock near my computer so wireless sync would save a lot of aggravation.

b3beater
Dec 6, 2007, 02:38 PM
Disk storage would be nice as would the ability to edit Word and Pages documents.

Frankly though, I have a horrific time trying to sync my phone without getting the little spinning ball of death, safari crashes quite a bit, if there are two albums with the same name but different artists it still lists them as one album, the camera is useless, I delete mail at it keeps coming back from the .mac server or somewhere...,

I love apple products but I feel that the iPhone is still quite buggy and I really want attention put on that instead of things like voice notes.

maveness
Dec 6, 2007, 02:39 PM
I'm still hoping for voice dialing...

branjosef
Dec 6, 2007, 02:56 PM
I just wish they would incorporate 802.1x as an option to log on to wi-fi networks. I dont hear many requests for this so maybe I am in the minority. In addition, it would be nice to drop and drag music or video onto the Iphone like one can with their ipod via itunes instead of using the sync feature. That's all I would like to see. Does anybody know if there is an app out there (for jailbreak Iphone) that enables 802.1x?

njchris
Dec 6, 2007, 02:59 PM
It's called Meebo Meebo can send a tone and vibrate when a message comes in? A popup while you are in another program?

Foocha
Dec 6, 2007, 03:00 PM
It's pretty obvious that Apple added Notes into Mac OS 10.5 Leopard with iPhone in mind. I remember when Steve Jobs said something along the lines of "you know how people are always sending e-mails to themselves as notes" and I thought "no". But I can understand in the context of iPhone - the notes in 10.5 Mail look identical to those on iPhone - the use of IMAP folders is presumably for a cross-platform method of syncing.

Introducing To Dos into Mail is also bizzare in my opinion - they're already in iCal and that was fine. I suspect this is also to do with using IMAP or Exchange for transferring them to iPhone.

tadunne
Dec 6, 2007, 03:05 PM
wont happen

Well Steve said that the touch will be able to use 3rd Party apps too in Feb. So unless apple prevent certain kinds of applications from running on the iphone/touch then if not Apple then someone will make an email application etc..

Mike Teezie
Dec 6, 2007, 03:23 PM
PLease, for the love of all this is pure, a spam filter in Mail. Obviously the one that my hosting company has installed on my mail server is terrible. Mail in OS X catches 99% of them, but my iPhone happily chimes away each and every time one of the godless spammers send something out.

"Delete all" function is a bone-headed omission.

Copy and paste is necessary.

Basically, the same things we've been asking for since launch.

pacohaas
Dec 6, 2007, 03:51 PM
PLease, for the love of all this is pure, a spam filter in Mail. Obviously the one that my hosting company has installed on my mail server is terrible. Mail in OS X catches 99% of them, but my iPhone happily chimes away each and every time one of the godless spammers send something out.
Run your email through GMAIL, the spam filter is rather good.

jayducharme
Dec 6, 2007, 05:31 PM
nope, no notes of any kind.

It actually does have a notes function: it's hidden in the Calendar app. When you set an appointment in the Calendar you have the option of adding a note to it. You can type into it just like you would on a notepad. I'm not sure what the limit is yet, but I haven't reached it. :) (It would be nice if I could do it landscaped, but at least it works.) When you synch the Calendar back with iCal, the notes transfer. Now if Apple would just fix the dang alarm sound for the calendar, the Touch would be a respectable PDA.

(I realize people have been saying that the Touch is an iPod and was never intended to be a PDA -- but then why did Apple include the Calendar at all?)

live4ever
Dec 6, 2007, 06:03 PM

...I'm just giving you a hard time. This is a welcomed feature and I was surprised when the iPhone didn't include it from Day 1 just like every other iPod. I wonder if they will add "Manual" mode as a part of this, allowing us to sync music from multiple computers like the iPods can.

Disk use over WiFi?

blehpunk
Dec 6, 2007, 06:06 PM
c'mon junk mail!!!

seedster2
Dec 6, 2007, 06:51 PM

1. Copy & paste

This is ridiculous waiting for standard functionalities on the iPhone.

I hear Fanboys say wait til leopard...wait until macworld...these capabilities should be here already.

pedroistheman
Dec 6, 2007, 06:59 PM
Voice memo and disk mode would be nice, of course. I wonder if anything else will be included in the release.

I'd personally like to see some updates to the sms text app as well as video capture support. Anyone think that's likely to happen soon?

is it possible to simply enable video capturing via a firmware release?

megfilmworks
Dec 6, 2007, 08:09 PM

"Delete all" function is a bone-headed omission.

Copy and paste is necessary.

I agree!! We need these simple things.

megfilmworks
Dec 6, 2007, 08:22 PM
SMS alert has six choices, they aren't the greatest but you can change it easily
Setttings/Sound/New Text Message >

desenso
Dec 6, 2007, 08:36 PM
Woohoo?

How about syncing Notes with Mail.

bbplayer5
Dec 6, 2007, 09:07 PM
Id be happy with ichat and wallpapers under your home screen.

They cant even do THAT :(

InkMaster
Dec 6, 2007, 09:19 PM
In addition, it would be nice to drop and drag music or video onto the Iphone like one can with their ipod via itunes instead of using the sync feature.

You can already do that, just turn on the manual management.

TitoC
Dec 6, 2007, 09:34 PM
When are they going to come out with an iPhone that can walk my dog? And what about one that would replace the toilet paper when it runs out (and do it automatically, I might add)? Come on, how hard can it be? Ooh, ooh, ooh . . . and one that makes spaghetti just like Mama used to make.

You know what? I would rather have them do things well on what they DO have, rather than do things half-assed on every kind of app they can stuff in there. I've been looking at a bunch of forums on what the iPhone "should" have . . . on what the iPhone needs to have . . . what were they thinking? Why didn't they include this, or that? So far, the list includes about 26 different things. Think about it. That's a lot of crap.

Do things right on what they do have. And let's hope on when they DO add new features, they do them right. That's all I'm saying. I would rather have something that is incredibly easy to navigate and use rather than have to slug through 64 different menus, sub-menus, unintuitive menus and crappy apps I don't need or don't work worth a damn, etc.

Now, having said that, here's a little list I think needs to be on there:
(1) Copy and Delete. That's a given.
(2) Search Feature
(3) Disk Mode
(4) The Spaghetti App. Hmmmmmmnn smells good already . . . .

msmith2112
Dec 6, 2007, 11:19 PM
You can already do that, just turn on the manual management.

...you must not own an iPhone.

The iPhone does NOT have the ability to manually manage music like the rest of the iPods.

InkMaster
Dec 7, 2007, 12:02 AM
...you must not own an iPhone.

The iPhone does NOT have the ability to manually manage music like the rest of the iPods.

really? I thought it was the same on it as on the Touch... hmm... well that sucks :(

soapsuds
Dec 7, 2007, 12:48 AM
One pet peeve of mine is that there's no option (that I can find) to keep HTML emails from auto-downloading images. I never use the "swipe delete" on spams, because I'm afraid of accidentally reading the message, and causing my phone to possibly connect to some random server somewhere and acknowledge receipt, download viruses, etc...

I thought disabling HTML downloads in mail was one of the most basic security precautions; OS X's Mail.app supports it as does Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc. Surely this would be a trivial option to implement as a simple disable; although having the option to click a button to download the blocked images on a message-by-message basis would be nice.

Also, I've been increasingly bugged by the weather applet, of all things. All you get is some sort of icon (e.g., snowflakes with slashed line), and the min/max temps. There's a little yahoo link to get "more information", but all it does is jump to some sort of landing page at yahoo that is trying to be some local portal with a whole bunch of random crap, but not the full weather report!

I'm glad they're adding official disk support, although a jump drive is a lot smaller and possibly cheaper than carrying around the USB-dock connector cable...

philgilder
Dec 7, 2007, 01:38 AM
I realize people have been saying that the Touch is an iPod and was never intended to be a PDA -- but then why did Apple include the Calendar at all?
all ipods have a calendar, but you cant add items (probably because using clickwheel to type would be a bitch) but i think apple just copied this functionality to the touch

Foocha
Dec 7, 2007, 02:36 AM
(2) Search Feature

That's a really good point - I forgot that. It's bizarre that you can't search contacts and mail!

doobi18
Dec 7, 2007, 05:41 AM
new features are always great, but...

...does the release of 1.1.3 mean that the new software components can be used to sim-unlock 1.1.2?

cheers

MacsAttack
Dec 7, 2007, 05:48 AM
I'm glad they're adding official disk support, although a jump drive is a lot smaller and possibly cheaper than carrying around the USB-dock connector cable...

True, but I've got two docks (one with the bluetooth headset at home, and the one that came with the iPhone attached to my office machine), and other connector cables in my laptop bag. So it is very rare that I don't have some way of getting data on and off the iPhone.

And there is always e-mail - if the data is not too big... ;-)

asrai
Dec 7, 2007, 06:04 AM

DITTO!!!

AlBDamned
Dec 7, 2007, 06:22 AM
I started a thread today in the iPhone forum asking if anyone knew when 1.1.3 was going to be released. Compile 'em all had this to say...

Yeah, these so called "places" are directly quoting info that have been circulating on IRC iphone-dev channels since weeks.

From the info I have, it will be released before xmas and highly probable will not update the baseband leaving those waiting for the new secpack in the dust.

No offence man, but I really hope your wrong. I'm hoping to buy an iPhone to use with my Vodafone SIM.

This is the kicker for me. I can't believe in three attempts Apple has completely thwarted the hackers. Although different, it makes Sony's attempt at blocking the PSP fairly pathetic. Of course, they now have no reason whatsoever to change the bootloader version, because you can't hack it...

gnasher729
Dec 7, 2007, 07:15 AM

"Disk mode" allows you to move files from one computer to another. Plug iPhone into computer A, it shows as a harddisk. Copy files on it, and unplug. Plug iPhone into computer B, it shows as a harddisk. Copy files from the iPhone onto computer B. Same as with an iPod. Saves you carrying around a memory stick. Apple could also add password protection and encryption to it, in case you copy sensitive data.

tedhogan
Dec 7, 2007, 07:15 AM
Where is the following?

1. TODO list support (iCal)
2. Word documents support
3. Cut & Paste

Who gives a s&^%t about dragging music onto the stupid phone.

I want a damn TODO list. I want the same damn TODO list that is in iCal to be on my damn iPhone. How friggin hard is it for crying out loud?!

Target disk mode... kiss my a$$ Apple... give us a useful update for once instead of this crap.

I never dreamed that "future features via update" would be this useless. Maybe Apple research should start working on a iPhone fashion neck band or something. That would fit right in with their present model.

metoo6000
Dec 7, 2007, 07:21 AM
I wanna multiple calendar support with respective color label. It must be a piece of cake to enable that. :mad:

Oh, and group support in address book!

drummingcraig
Dec 7, 2007, 07:25 AM
I wanna multiple calendar support with respective color label. It must be a piece of cake to enable that. :mad:

Oh, and group support in address book!

+1 for that here as well. Can't tell you how bummed I was to find out that it wasn't supported after I got my phone.

princessqt0769
Dec 7, 2007, 08:35 AM
Picture messaging, video record, voice dialing, and ichat. Is that so much to ask?;)

madmaxmedia
Dec 7, 2007, 11:44 AM
Has anyone noticed that while the iPhone can read Word Document files, it can't read RTF files? I find this really odd.

This annoys me too, I have to convert RTF files to HTML before viewing on my Touch. Hopefully it's coming, adding support would be relatively trivial.

It's also the default file format for TextEdit (formatted text), so not including it would be odd.

gauchogolfer
Dec 7, 2007, 11:51 AM
I just want a search feature. It's on my nano from a year ago, why not my fancy new iPhone?

Mitch1984
Dec 7, 2007, 02:41 PM
Tick tock, I'm waiting, I hope this rumor isn't wrong. i want a software update now..

iwitch
Dec 7, 2007, 03:01 PM

How efficient is that?
Weak.

This makes total sense to me and I have no idea why it isn't this way already. This is coming from someone who recommends the iPhone to friends and family...with hopes that by the time they get one, MMS will be implemented in a way that doesn't suck a$$.

Oh and copy/paste seems like a no-brainer, so much so that I didn't realize I needed it until I couldn't do it; Maybe Apple didn't realize it either. Here's hoping it's in the next update since my Dad might be getting one for my Mom for Christmas and I can already hear my mom asking me how she copies and pastes something. Of course when technology doesn't work the way it should, it's always somehow my fault since I'm the family geek, so :apple: do me a favor and get on this before I have to break the news to my mom.

philgilder
Dec 7, 2007, 03:01 PM
I just want a search feature. It's on my nano from a year ago, why not my fancy new iPhone?
becuase searching on an ipod nano is probably slower than going straight to the letter it starts with using the letter list on the right...

veeco3110
Dec 8, 2007, 03:06 PM
4 o clock eastern time..no update yet...

philgilder
Dec 8, 2007, 03:14 PM
4 o clock eastern time..no update yet...
theres no guarantee theres an update, it was a rumour, and the rumour was end of the weekend, not saturday

veeco3110
Dec 8, 2007, 05:19 PM
never said anything about a guarantee...just saying its that late ((still late)) in the day and no update...

gauchogolfer
Dec 8, 2007, 05:22 PM
I wish that when playing songs from a playlist, that I could tip my iPhone on its side and browse just that playlist in coverflow.

hidehide
Dec 9, 2007, 04:44 AM
data mode is useless..
There are already isplit, AFD, SSH for iPhone :)

zedsdead
Dec 9, 2007, 05:48 AM
Where is the following?

3. Cut & Paste

I want a damn TODO list. I want the same damn TODO list that is in iCal to be on my damn iPhone. How friggin hard is it for crying out loud?!

Target disk mode... kiss my a$$ Apple... give us a useful update for once instead of this crap.

I never dreamed that "future features via update" would be this useless. Maybe Apple research should start working on a iPhone fashion neck band or something. That would fit right in with their present model.

I agree, how hard is it to implement a To-Do-List considering it is in Leopard with Mail and iCal...the same with Note Synching. Apple has not really released anything outside of minor bug fixes, the "Double-Tap" feature of the Home Button (which is cool, but not an App), and the iTunes Music Store which honestly is not really all that useful.

InkMaster
Dec 9, 2007, 01:07 PM
oh the update will come... If not today then Tuesday; if not this tuesday then the next... Or the one after that... ;)

isleofjib
Dec 9, 2007, 01:24 PM
i'd love to see ichat and the ability to delete individual phone calls.

hidehide
Dec 9, 2007, 03:11 PM
hey guys. You dont have to wait long time for apple to release that. Just jailbreak your phone :)
those function can be done the first I bought my iphone...
to do list, delete individual phone calls and SMS, disk mode, themes, and even more!!

JOHNGAETANO
Dec 9, 2007, 05:24 PM
Another BS rumor. The weekend is over, and no update.

doctorfresh
Dec 9, 2007, 06:40 PM
Comments:
1. to be able to use my iPhone as a modem for my laptop. Ok, so EDGE isn't great (UK user, spoiled by 3G coverage) but at least I could send that email with work that is already late from the train
2. does anyone know whether this can be done by moving an email to be sent (e.g. with an attachment in, for example, MS Word) to a folder in Mail on a MBP, then syncing the iPhone (including Mail), then sending the email (or forward) from iPhone - because that would do it
3. I understand that :apple: is in hock to the phone carriers who don't want modem use of the iphone to interfere with paid services - but this would barely interfere
4. MS Word and Excel browsers would be great (or Pages / Numbers, if you like - it is all the same)
:apple:'s market share in the business community is low - with these issues, Blackberry will continue to stitch it up.

CKtoph
Dec 9, 2007, 07:42 PM
Comments:
4. MS Word and Excel browsers would be great (or Pages / Numbers, if you like - it is all the same)
:apple:'s market share in the business community is low - with these issues, Blackberry will continue to stitch it up.

I'm definitely hoping for more corporate functionality.

- Microsoft Mobile Office or iWork for the iPhone. I'm hoping that this will come with the release of the SDK.

- Ability to attach files to emails sent from the phone.

- Copy/Paste (should come with or prior to a possible MS Mobile Office.

- Voice dialing. Maybe some voice recognition software? Could be hoping for too much there. But imagine dictating your notes into your iPhone and having it recognized by Notes, To-Do list, or MS Mobile Office.

- Other stuff: Someone earlier mentioned something to stabilize/focus your pictures. This would be great for taking quick shots on the run.

Steven Ballmer
Dec 9, 2007, 09:16 PM
Jobs is afraid of next year's release if the ZunePhone!
People will see how the real thing is supposed to work!

Asar
Dec 10, 2007, 09:58 AM
i hope this comes out tuesday or this week if true

Manatee
Dec 10, 2007, 10:17 AM
I hope an update shows up on the traditional "Apple Tuesday". I don't really care what it is. I just want a new feature. :)

Waiting for 1.1.3...
Waiting for real applications for the iPhone via the SDK...
Waiting for the MacBook Pro with Penryn...
Waiting for the ultra slim and light notebook with SSD...
Waiting for Guffman...

Geez, I can barely stand it! :o

Compile 'em all
Dec 10, 2007, 10:17 AM
Comments:
1. to be able to use my iPhone as a modem for my laptop. Ok, so EDGE isn't great (UK user, spoiled by 3G coverage) but at least I could send that email with work that is already late from the train

Ain't gonna happen.

2. does anyone know whether this can be done by moving an email to be sent (e.g. with an attachment in, for example, MS Word) to a folder in Mail on a MBP, then syncing the iPhone (including Mail), then sending the email (or forward) from iPhone - because that would do it

Use IMAP/drafts directory. Create the email on your mbp and save it to drafts, then on the iphone the mail will be in drafts (assuming you have IMAP properly setup of course).

ben5959
Dec 10, 2007, 10:37 AM
where are you update??????:(

Fuchal
Dec 10, 2007, 12:30 PM
Where is the following?

3. Cut & Paste

Not to mention that iPods have had ToDo list support for years.

DiamondMac
Dec 10, 2007, 04:51 PM
Where is the following?

3. Cut & Paste

Agreed.

There are a LOT of things that I understand Apple wants to wait on....no problem with that

But there are a LOT, LOT of things that should be issued nor or damn well soon....features like some of what you said that are really pretty darn basic and should have been put on the original iPhone software.

It is very odd

TurboSC
Dec 10, 2007, 05:02 PM
I hope an update shows up on the traditional "Apple Tuesday". I don't really care what it is. I just want a new feature. :)

Waiting for 1.1.3...
Waiting for real applications for the iPhone via the SDK...
Waiting for the MacBook Pro with Penryn...
Waiting for the ultra slim and light notebook with SSD...
Waiting for Guffman...

Geez, I can barely stand it! :o

lol I'm in the waiting club as well.. it's quite fun isn't it :)

lazyrighteye
Dec 11, 2007, 05:46 PM
CNET France... sha! :mad:
Weekend has come and gone...

I made the mistake of getting excited about Disk Mode. :(

thegman1234
Dec 11, 2007, 09:37 PM
Still waiting as well. Though I'm not really in need of voice capture or disk mode (although disk mode can always be useful), I just love updates lol. Plus, you never know what else may show up in this update.

Mitch1984
Dec 12, 2007, 04:55 AM
Still waiting as well. Though I'm not really in need of voice capture or disk mode (although disk mode can always be useful), I just love updates lol. Plus, you never know what else may show up in this update.

I love updates too. I keep checking my rss feeds for news on the iPhone updates. Maybe they are doing a massive update at macworld. Updates should be outquocker for the iphone e now that leopard is finished.

skeen
Dec 12, 2007, 04:49 PM
These updates are really slow to come out. We're still missing some basic functionality over here - hope we get something soon.

vincebio
Dec 12, 2007, 04:53 PM
its frustrating yes, but apple aint gonna be holding back on these apps and functions for no reason...im sure to get the best out of the device they are making them work properly first...a few months from now im pretty sure the device will be superb in all fronts..

InkMaster
Dec 12, 2007, 05:20 PM
Tuesday came, tuesday went, and still no update... well its gonna come out on one of these tuesdays ;)

RL600
Dec 12, 2007, 05:59 PM
I need iChat more than Copy and Paste. :(

Chundles
Dec 12, 2007, 06:08 PM
I'd like support for the comments/descriptions in podcasts as well as scrolling titles for my content. Sick of podcasts showing up as "Podcast 61 12/12/..." instead of having the full title roll across like they do on a "real" iPod.

gauchogolfer
Dec 12, 2007, 06:16 PM
I'd like support for the comments/descriptions in podcasts as well as scrolling titles for my content. Sick of podcasts showing up as "Podcast 61 12/12/..." instead of having the full title roll across like they do on a "real" iPod.

+1

I'd also like lyrics support like my nano has.

cityofnopity
Dec 14, 2007, 01:54 AM
Voice Memo? Dude-copy & paste please? Can i delete more than one email at a time as well?

cityofnopity
Dec 14, 2007, 01:54 AM
ichat would be great...

Zukum
Dec 14, 2007, 12:23 PM
How about the option to set the alarm as a song or playlist, not just the ring tones (who wants to wake up to a cricket or dog bark?). Can't a normal iPod use songs as an alarm?

cubbie5150
Dec 14, 2007, 03:45 PM
There's nothing I "need" in a firmware update, but the following would be extremely useful to me:
1) sending SMS to multiple people
2) ability to send & receive MMS natively
3) BT file transfer

Some "luxury" items:
1) smilies for SMS!!
2) A2DP
3) ability to change home screen background w/ having to jailbreak & then install summerboard--too much work for such a small thing!! (besides, I can't jailbreak since I have a week 46 iPhone that came w/ 1.1.2 OTB)

I'm not asking for mush Steve!!

megfilmworks
Dec 14, 2007, 04:48 PM
hey guys. You dont have to wait long time for apple to release that. Just jailbreak your phone :)
those function can be done the first I bought my iphone...
to do list, delete individual phone calls and SMS, disk mode, themes, and even more!!
Been there done that....I like stability and security.

megfilmworks
Dec 14, 2007, 04:51 PM
How about the option to set the alarm as a song or playlist, not just the ring tones (who wants to wake up to a cricket or dog bark?). Can't a normal iPod use songs as an alarm?Just go to the Alarm and edit and choose any ringtone that is a song.

thegman1234
Dec 14, 2007, 06:04 PM
Been there done that....I like stability and security.

I agree, I refuse to jailbreak my phone. I'm cool with it working properly. This isn't like the old Nextel's where everyone was down for free ringtones and apps, this thing is a computer. God knows what kind of software damages could happen, and it wouldn't be warranted either.

InkMaster
Dec 15, 2007, 02:22 PM
Well its saturday already... BUT BUT BUT!!!! I promise the update will be out this tuesday!!! along w/ the g5 powerbooks and the 3ghz PPC chips! :rolleyes:

andrewface
Dec 15, 2007, 02:31 PM
hopefully this will let me unlock my new 1.1.2 cmon 1.1.3!!

InkMaster
Dec 15, 2007, 02:58 PM
hopefully this will let me unlock my new 1.1.2 cmon 1.1.3!!

unlock? what, did you iBrick yours or something?

andrewface
Dec 15, 2007, 03:10 PM
unlock? what, did you iBrick yours or something?

no you cant get anysim to work on preinstalled 1.2 as far as i know

John Musbach
Dec 15, 2007, 03:55 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

According to CNet France (http://www.cnetfrance.fr/news/mobilite/39376117-3800004071t/de-nouvelles-fonctions-pour-l-iphone-des-cette-semaine.htm) (English summary provided by Electronista (http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/12/06/iphone.113.rumor/)), iPhone 1.1.3 is set to arrive as early as this weekend, and will pack some commonly-requested features such as voice memo recording and disk mode.

Apple released iPhone/iPod Touch Firmware 1.1.2 on November 8th (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/08/iphone-1-1-2-firmware-released/), although it did not become available through iTunes (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/12/iphone-1-1-2-firmware-officially-released-in-u-s/) until Monday, November 12th.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/06/iphone-1-1-3-coming-soon-voice-memos-disk-mode-support/)

Sounds good, I wonder if this firmware update may be secretly installing the tidbits necessary for compatibility with the upcoming official SDK as well...

brandoncarr
Dec 16, 2007, 05:02 PM
This Tuesday is going to be a big day for Apple! I don't know about all of you, but I'm quite excited. 1.1.3 is on it's way. Can't wait for a jailbreak for that baby!

InkMaster
Dec 16, 2007, 06:02 PM
This Tuesday is going to be a big day for Apple! I don't know about all of you, but I'm quite excited. 1.1.3 is on it's way. Can't wait for a jailbreak for that baby!

and if not this tuesday theres always the one after that... ;)

skeen
Dec 16, 2007, 06:39 PM
and if not this tuesday theres always the one after that... ;)

I wish they would just release it when it's ready. None of this Friday or Tuesday stuff.

cityofnopity
Dec 17, 2007, 12:29 AM
1) Copy & Paste?
2) Landscape keyboard?
3) Select whole field to delete?
4) ichat?

emotion
Dec 17, 2007, 05:03 AM
Sounds good, I wonder if this firmware update may be secretly installing the tidbits necessary for compatibility with the upcoming official SDK as well...

My guess is that that will have to wait for firmware 2.0.

stellarspiral
Dec 17, 2007, 08:00 AM
They've been saying that the new version is going to be released soon, for the past 2-3 weeks now. I am getting impatient... What's it taking so damn long for? RELEASE IT ALREADY YOU LAZY %^$#*@! :mad:

emotion
Dec 17, 2007, 08:06 AM
They've been saying that the new version is going to be released soon, for the past 2-3 weeks now. I am getting impatient... What's it taking so damn long for? RELEASE IT ALREADY YOU LAZY %^$#*@! :mad:

I suggest that, if reading _rumour_ sites gets you this frustrated then maybe you should stop.

Who is this "they" that have been saying an update is coming? It certainly isn't Apple.

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see another update until February.

brandoncarr
Dec 17, 2007, 07:08 PM
I wish they would just release it when it's ready. None of this Friday or Tuesday stuff.

Well, where would the fun in that be?

skeen
Dec 17, 2007, 10:26 PM
Well, where would the fun in that be?

Okay - here's praying for a Tuesday release! C'mon Apple, gimme somethin' new.

stellarspiral
Dec 18, 2007, 07:34 AM
This is ridiculous. They've been beating around the bush for way too long. It's tuesday and what do we have? ZILCH. Release the damn thing already, I want voice memo and copy/paste :cool:

emotion
Dec 18, 2007, 07:42 AM
This is ridiculous. They've been beating around the bush for way too long. It's tuesday and what do we have? ZILCH. Release the damn thing already, I want voice memo and copy/paste :cool:

Who is this they you speak of? Apple never pre-announce anything. If rumour sites have built your hopes up then maybe there's something to be learned from that.

New firmware in Feb would be my guess (it'll be out later on today now I've been so definite :) ).

stellarspiral
Dec 18, 2007, 10:32 AM
By they I mean Apple. It's not like the all the "rumors" just came out of thin air, genius. Everyone is expecting a new update. I've always wondered why the iPhone didn't have a feature as simple as voice recording. And now that there's a chance they actually might update that naturally got my hopes up...

emotion
Dec 18, 2007, 11:19 AM
By they I mean Apple. It's not like the all the "rumors" just came out of thin air,

They are rumours. Take them with a pinch of salt.

genius.

You're too kind but I prefer to be addressed on here as emotion.

Everyone is expecting a new update. I've always wondered why the iPhone didn't have a feature as simple as voice recording. And now that there's a chance they actually might update that naturally got my hopes up...

Of course. Me too. I'm just saying that these are rumours and you have nothing to be angry about, Apple will release when ready. Come February there will be a raft of new features/apps/developer options. Until then, enjoy the festive season :)

MacsAttack
Dec 18, 2007, 02:54 PM
I doubt we will see an update before the new year now. The potential for tech support issues is just too great. There will be enough of those as it is - with all those iPods and iPhones that are going to be showing up in stockings :)

The customers I deal with always put a freeze on hardware and software updates around this time...

Quite possible that Apple will string things out until the SDK launches and they have 1.2 ready to roll.

InkMaster
Dec 18, 2007, 05:22 PM
Tuesday came and tuesday went... and still no update :( oh well, theres always the next one...

Mitch1984
Dec 18, 2007, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't mind just a minor update to tide us over till macworld, but ah well.

Mitch1984
Dec 20, 2007, 04:42 PM
I check here several times a day for an update, but still nothing. Apple don't make us wait till Macworld.

aceducy
Dec 21, 2007, 12:59 PM
I check here several times a day for an update, but still nothing. Apple don't make us wait till Macworld.

You ain't got anything to say about it. Apple does what the hell they please, when they please, and how they please.

They don't owe you %*@@. You paid a fair price for your gizmo, anything else and you're totally at the mercy of Apple. Just cause you're a customer simply means nothing.

I repeat - just cause you're a customer means nothing. And if you don't like it, tough. You'll get the updates when everyone else does - IF there's an update. And you'll get what Apple provides in the update, like everyone else.

But you knew Apple doesn't discuss policy with customers before you bought it. Right? You did didn't you?

There, done.

Manatee
Dec 21, 2007, 01:12 PM
They're going to release 1.1.3 on Christmas day. It contains one feature -- a "sleighbells" ringtone. :)

worldwearyeyes
Dec 21, 2007, 01:57 PM
They're going to release 1.1.3 on Christmas day. It contains one feature -- a "sleighbells" ringtone. :)

can't wait...:rolleyes:

hexonxonx
Dec 21, 2007, 02:03 PM

I heard it's gonna be on New Years Day and U2 will personally appear on your iPhone and sing that song to let you know it's updating. :D:apple::eek:

thegman1234
Dec 21, 2007, 02:11 PM
You ain't got anything to say about it. Apple does what the hell they please, when they please, and how they please.

They don't owe you %*@@. You paid a fair price for your gizmo, anything else and you're totally at the mercy of Apple. Just cause you're a customer simply means nothing.

I repeat - just cause you're a customer means nothing. And if you don't like it, tough. You'll get the updates when everyone else does - IF there's an update. And you'll get what Apple provides in the update, like everyone else.

But you knew Apple doesn't discuss policy with customers before you bought it. Right? You did didn't you?

There, done.

Easy killer, relax.

I heard it's gonna be on New Years Day and U2 will personally appear on your iPhone and sing that song to let you know it's updating. :D:apple::eek:

Haha that would be hysterical. Ever seen the South Park episode with Bono? Hellooooo Hellooooo lol.

Mitch1984
Dec 21, 2007, 02:15 PM

There, done.

Chill Winston. I just want an update now to tide me over till macworld, when there will be, I believe a substantial update.

peacetrain67
Dec 21, 2007, 03:03 PM

prolly 9/10 people here have it hacked and can get im anyways. although, apple could clean it up a little. aim was the biggest reason i hacked mine but definitely not the only. <---- and ants. ants is the best

isleofjib
Dec 21, 2007, 03:10 PM

There, done.
geesh. did someone forget their medications today? that has to be one of the single most asinine posts i've ever seen.

aceducy
Dec 21, 2007, 11:01 PM
Yea, yall just stand there and clinch your fists and get your little faces all red with tears.

Apple doesn't owe you $*@#. Period. And you certainly don't deserve it.

No there will be no "tiding you over" or "just a little taste" or any of your other hissy fit, foot pounding demands.

Get over it, and leap even futher over that message's delivery tactics. You won't get an apology, your diapers changed or your little tears dried by anyone except the Democrats.

Life's tough enough without a load of children making squealing demands of a stupid gizmo manufacturer

emotion
Dec 22, 2007, 03:30 AM
Life's tough enough...

I think you need a hug.

Manic Mouse
Dec 22, 2007, 04:55 AM
I think you need a hug.

\o/

Mitch1984
Dec 22, 2007, 06:34 AM
Says the person who's having a tantrum on a forum. Does this guy work for apps or summat?

thegman1234
Dec 22, 2007, 10:44 AM
Yea, yall just stand there and clinch your fists and get your little faces all red with tears.

Apple doesn't owe you $*@#. Period. And you certainly don't deserve it.

No there will be no "tiding you over" or "just a little taste" or any of your other hissy fit, foot pounding demands.

Get over it, and leap even futher over that message's delivery tactics. You won't get an apology, your diapers changed or your little tears dried by anyone except the Democrats.

Life's tough enough without a load of children making squealing demands of a stupid gizmo manufacturer

This is kind of reminding me of that scene in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back when Jay flipped out on on the movie forum posters and had silent bob type out that long diatribe against them lol.

You need to just chill out dude. I mean, yeah everyone is entitled to their opinion, you don't need to be so rude about it.