Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to CNet France (English summary provided by Electronista), iPhone 1.1.3 is set to arrive as early as this weekend, and will pack some commonly-requested features such as voice memo recording and disk mode.

The disk feature behaves like the equivalent for iPods and will still block users from simply dragging and dropping content to load the phone with playable music, CNET says. Enabling disk mode should still allow knowledgeable users to browse the content on the phone, though this is not expected to be of any use to the hacking community, which has already gained access to the phone's software.

Apple released iPhone/iPod Touch Firmware 1.1.2 on November 8th, although it did not become available through iTunes until Monday, November 12th.

Article Link

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
"The disk feature behaves like the equivalent for iPods and will still block users from simply dragging and dropping content to load the phone with playable music, CNET says."

So what's the purpose of disk mode then ?

honeycrisp

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Voice memo and disk mode would be nice, of course. I wonder if anything else will be included in the release.

I'd personally like to see some updates to the sms text app as well as video capture support. Anyone think that's likely to happen soon?

DrSQL

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2007

Copy and Paste would be lovely. So would some neat way to be able to highlight text and grab it.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I just want copy & paste! LOL.

I hear ya, loud and clear.

"The disk feature behaves like the equivalent for iPods and will still block users from simply dragging and dropping content to load the phone with playable music, CNET says."

transporting files. I got a 100 MB powerpoint keynote presentation that I need to bring with me to a meeting... For some reason I don't have a flash drive or online storage... You know the routine.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I like the evolution of the iPhone. I gotta get me one soon...

Yeah, how about that copy/paste anyway....

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007

Yah that is confusing. Maybe they mean dragging files (word excel, other types of work files.) to the iphone.

Any type of file except music or video.

Of course if we got a fracking PDF reader in the update that would be used for it as well.

transporting files. I got a 100 MB powerpoint keynote presentation that I need to bring with me to a meeting... For some reason I don't have a flash drive or online storage... You know the routine.

How cool would a Keynote player be for the iphone?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

I know what you're talking about but if you cant drag and drop music how could you drag and drop data ? It's all the same.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
I know what you're talking about but if you cant drag and drop music how could you drag and drop data ? It's all the same.

Mount on the desktop. Open iphone.

Any file that gets dragged in goes into a special locker area just for files.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
So hopefully this update addresses the new bootloader differences and the Dev Tam, Elite and Geohot can start going full speed again. Please let it be.

And diskmode sounds like a welcome addition. It sounds like it would make jailbreaks easier in the future.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Peace said:

I think the point is you could drag and drop music to copy it around but it wouldn't be playable on the phone if copied like that

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc

You can copy music to it just like you can the iPod, but that music will not show up when you browse the iPhone's iPod program. This is the same way all iPods currently operate. The disc acts like a hard drive on your computer, but dragging music or movies to it doesn't mean that you can play them back without adding them to iTunes and syncing.

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
I think what they are talking about is making the iPhone a big fat flash drive. No thanks. I don't want it to transport a file from point A to point B. I want it to transfer a file from point A, and then open the friggin file ON THE IPHONE! After all it is a handheld computer running OS X according to Jobs.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
You can copy music to it just like you can the iPod, but that music will not show up when you browse the iPhone's iPod program. This is the same way all iPods currently operate. The disc acts like a hard drive on your computer, but dragging music or movies to it doesn't mean that you can play them back without adding them to iTunes and syncing.

So, could you boot a mac from an iPhone then? You can on iPods, right? Just wondering....

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
At this point, the features I would like to see added/refined to my iPhone are:
- Flash Support
- Multi Delete of Emails
- Disk Mode
- Better Auto Focus in the camera/Steady cam software option
- Navicon through Google Maps
- iChat

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Wouldn't be much fun to iChat with your iPhone with somebody else who is also using their iPhone since you would have to turn the phone around to use the camera function....

I think they mean the IM end of it......

a1kim

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2007
RTF Files?

Has anyone noticed that while the iPhone can read Word Document files, it can't read RTF files? I find this really odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.