PDA

View Full Version : iBook TV out?

deling
Sep 27, 2003, 04:39 AM
Dear all,

I am trying to send the display of my iBook to a TV set so that I can play a movie and watch on the TV. I got a video adapter, which is supposed to connect to the mini-VGA output on the iBook and output S-video. But what I got on the TV is a distorted, discolored, scambled flickering image, when I set the display to 640x480@60Hz. With any other display mode, the situation is worse.

I think my TV and the s-video input is good because I can hook up a dvd player on it and it works. The adapter was a brand new one I bought today at an apple store. My iBook is a 700MHz 12" version. The mini-VGA output should be good because I have no problem with an external monitor.

Anybody have any suggestion as to what could be going wrong? I'd appreciate any hints. Thank you.

Cuckoo
Sep 27, 2003, 05:49 AM
This 'sounds' like a settings problem, everything is working, so don't worry, but you have to fiddle with NTSC/PAL settings, and stuff like that.

For instance, if you have a PAL TV (most of Europe) and the laptop sends an NTSC (US) signal, the picture gets distorted (black and white or worse).

Maybe that will help, it's probably a setting in the display settings somewhere (so it's something you would have to change in your ibook, not at your TV)...

Goodluck, it's a bit fiddling around.

deling
Sep 27, 2003, 10:51 AM
Thanks for your reply. I bought the TV in US so I assume it accepts NTSC signals. The iBook was also bought in US but how can I tell it to send NTSC or PAL? Thanks.

Nermal
Sep 28, 2003, 03:37 AM
With the TV connected, open up the Display preferences, and there should be an option for PAL or NTSC. This option doesn't appear when the TV's not connected.

deling
Sep 28, 2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Nermal
With the TV connected, open up the Display preferences, and there should be an option for PAL or NTSC. This option doesn't appear when the TV's not connected.

In display preferences, I can find two displays, one of which is "color lcd". The other, however, is "VGA display" instead of TV. I have the TV hooked up and turned on before the computer boots. So it seems that the iBook thinks a VGA monitor is connected and is not sending the right format of signal, is my understanding correct? How to get around this problem then? Thanks for any help.