PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Winning Corporate Customers

MacRumors
Dec 6, 2007, 09:50 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

A Reuters report (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071206/tc_nm/iphone_business_dc_1;_ylt=AlPO151ifdXDn1Sj7QONDV0E1vAI) indicates that Apple's iPhone has started making inroads with corporate customers despite initial criticisms about its suitability for that market.

Earlier this week, SAP announced (http://news.zdnet.com/2110-3513_22-6221368.html) that they would be introducing a version of their sales-force automation software for the iPhone before introducing mobile versions for more traditional corporate devices, such as the BlackBerry and Treo.
The reason? SAP's own salespeople were clamoring for it, saying the iPhone was easier to use, according to Bob Stutz, SAP senior vice president in charge of developing customer relationship management software.
A few other factors, however, still need to be addressed, according to analysts, before the iPhone can be fully adopted. This includes integration with push-email and Outlook/Exchange compatibility.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/12/06/iphone-winning-corporate-customers/)

megfilmworks
Dec 6, 2007, 09:54 PM
Bye Bye Blackberry.

pedroistheman
Dec 6, 2007, 10:48 PM
So are they going to have a "corporate mode?" I don't see the iPhone being a useful device for mass email. It gets the job done, but my mail app still doesn't scale for some emails.

liberty4all
Dec 6, 2007, 11:33 PM
Umm, another reason is that Apple is an SAP customer with over 200 users... Duh! I would guess Steve Jobs or other Apple folks were involved somehow... See:
http://www.apple.com/jobs/us/pro/ist/scenes.html

erandall38
Dec 7, 2007, 12:42 AM
Umm, another reason is that Apple is an SAP customer with over 200 users... Duh! I would guess Steve Jobs or other Apple folks were involved somehow... See:

You burst my bubble of excitement.

jrober
Dec 7, 2007, 04:03 AM
o2 in the Uk better get their finger out. I have a company phone with o2 and when I asked to be able to put my O2 sim into an iPhone they told me that iphones were not for corporate customers and it would not work.

Come on o2...I want an iPhone - Steve can you give them a nudge it is worth another sale isn't it?

John

PCMacUser
Dec 7, 2007, 06:57 AM
Until the iPhone is officially unlocked from being on a particular network in each country, it'll never get established in the corporate environment. Most major (and often the minor) companies have big contracts with mobile phone networks, so they're tied in and can't just switch to another one at the drop of a hat.

whenpaulsparks
Dec 7, 2007, 06:57 AM
yes to push email support, yes to exchange *calendaring* and *address book* support.

but i've been using my iphone with exchange mail for the past few months and it works flawlessly. and since it's IMAP, if a message is read on my computer at work, it's marked read when it gets to my phone. it works great.

the author needs to help kill the myth that the iphone doesn't work with exchange... it does, just only with mail currently, which is the most important feature of exchange. i will love to see calendar and address book support one day.

PCMacUser
Dec 7, 2007, 06:59 AM
the author needs to help kill the myth that the iphone doesn't work with exchange... it does, just only with mail currently, which is the most important feature of exchange. i will love to see calendar and address book support one day.

No calendar support? Oh, forget it then. I'll stick to my Treo for now.

blilly
Dec 7, 2007, 08:14 AM
So are they going to have a "corporate mode?" I don't see the iPhone being a useful device for mass email. It gets the job done, but my mail app still doesn't scale for some emails.

That is exactly why people find it effective: it keeps people from spamming a bunch of irrelevant sales BS and PPT decks around--if you want "corporate mode" stick to blackberry.

cmcconkey
Dec 7, 2007, 08:46 AM
Can the iPhone be linked into a Business AT&T account? I was just hired as an IT director for a company and they are with AT&T for their cell service. I would like to get the iPhone if possible, but not sure what the restrictions are on account type.

Thanks
Christopher

kfordham281
Dec 7, 2007, 08:49 AM
Until the iPhone can sync calendar, address books, and mail with exchange it will be a fringe corporate phone at best. Rumor a while back was that they would license active sync from Microsoft but I haven't heard anything in months. Jobs himself said something to Walt Mossberg about some testing with corporate customers but I can't find a link to the article right now (this was at least 4 months ago).

emccus01
Dec 7, 2007, 09:57 AM
Can the iPhone be linked into a Business AT&T account? I was just hired as an IT director for a company and they are with AT&T for their cell service. I would like to get the iPhone if possible, but not sure what the restrictions are on account type.

Thanks
Christopher

No corporate discount yet. I heard possibly February when the sdk comes out. Probably with support for office.

lseven
Dec 7, 2007, 10:20 AM
yes to push email support, yes to exchange *calendaring* and *address book* support.

I'm able to sync my address book and calendar between Outlook/Exchange at work, Google Calendar and contacts, iCal and Address Book. All by using Plaxo. It runs an app on each box that synchronizes it with a central server. It isn't native support, but it gets the job done and it's free.

http://www.plaxo.com

I also have my interesting mail forwarded to a special Yahoo push email address. The push is not always reliable, but better than nothing.

I'd love to see native support for all of this, but at least these options help in the meantime.

longofest
Dec 7, 2007, 04:06 PM

Not exactly a "big" SAP user. There are corporations that use SAP for thousands of seats. But good find none-the-less

operator207
Dec 8, 2007, 09:06 AM
If your running a hacked iPhone, and want (almost) push email with a regular imap account, check out imapidle. Its works. Though it does not download the emails in the mail app. It just notifies you that you have new email. Its not quite push email, but the closest thing you can get at the moment.

It does crash without telling you sometimes, though I have not had that happen in ~2 weeks.

The Monkey
Dec 8, 2007, 06:58 PM
Bye Bye Blackberry.

Not so much.

TurboSC
Dec 8, 2007, 09:02 PM
Not so much.

Yea not yet. They really need to build more groundwork on the professional level and offer more services / features.

I don't consider the iPhone a BlackBerry competitor, I seem them both in their own field.

joshfoth
Dec 9, 2007, 11:12 AM
Until the iPhone can sync calendar, address books, and mail with exchange it will be a fringe corporate phone at best. Rumor a while back was that they would license active sync from Microsoft but I haven't heard anything in months. Jobs himself said something to Walt Mossberg about some testing with corporate customers but I can't find a link to the article right now (this was at least 4 months ago).

It was actually in the USA Today and here is the question and Jobs' response:

Q: What about corporate e-mail? I understand that's an issue for many consumers, who may not be able to hook up to their company networks?

Jobs: You'll be hearing more about this in the coming weeks. We have some pilots going with companies with names you'll recognize. This won't be a big issue.

Here is the entire article if you are interested: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/corporatenews/2007-06-28-jobs-stephenson-qa_N.htm

That was a few days before the launch of the iPhone. The "coming weeks" comment doesn't hold much water anymore.

The Monkey
Dec 9, 2007, 11:38 AM
That was a few days before the launch of the iPhone. The "coming weeks" comment doesn't hold much water anymore.

True. A pretty dumb (and misleading) statement by Jobs actually. He should not have put a timeframe on it.

lekun
Dec 9, 2007, 03:57 PM
The failure to even remotely live up to that promise has angered me more than anything else Apple has done.

chicagostars
Dec 9, 2007, 04:12 PM
That is exactly why people find it effective: it keeps people from spamming a bunch of irrelevant sales BS and PPT decks around--if you want "corporate mode" stick to blackberry.

But hold on! I have a 40MB PPT deck with essential sales that has to get out to everyone! :D

Sesshi
Dec 9, 2007, 08:51 PM

but i've been using my iphone with exchange mail for the past few months and it works flawlessly. and since it's IMAP, if a message is read on my computer at work, it's marked read when it gets to my phone. it works great.

Yes, but Exchange isn't an IMAP server. It just happens to be one of the more useless-for-corporate-use stuff it does.

I wonder if Dataviz will / will be allowed to (if there are any restrictions in the licensing agreements with Microsoft - I doubt any such restrictions exist but who knows) develop Roadsync for iPhone. That would be interesting.

Steven Ballmer
Dec 9, 2007, 09:38 PM
Sap is one far from modern company. have you ever used that crap, zm42, zp17, rl55, zp22, .....

stupid beyond belief!

Asar
Dec 10, 2007, 09:59 AM
corporate people gotta be cool too :cool:

megfilmworks
Dec 11, 2007, 01:35 PM
The failure to even remotely live up to that promise has angered me more than anything else Apple has done.

I save my anger for world suffering and IRS audits.:D

kingtj
Dec 11, 2007, 04:22 PM
I've worked for several small to medium-size companies where over 40 cellphones were issued to their employees in each case. Yet the phones used were basic Nokia or Motorola models with NO syncing going on between them and the corporate network at all.

Sometimes, businesses provide cellphones just so they can get ahold of employees whenever it's needed ... not to give them a portable copy of their Outlook calendar, to-do list, and address book.

I could easily see iPhones slipping into these places, since they'd allow a decent-sized display for working with web-based apps, and all the basic email functionality an employee would need -- all on a flat rate unlimited data plan that's not overly costly.

Have some of you ever USED a Blackberry before? Honestly, if it wasn't for their "killer feature" of proprietary push email, it would probably be a dinosaur already. Until the new "Pearl" came out, all of them were big, oddly shaped boxes ... and the rolling ball thumb-controllers on them feel "cheap". They're certainly no shining star of web browsing capabilities either.

True, they have a tactile keyboard - but in my experience, most people just want to READ their mail on a phone, not compose big replies. That's why Palm devices used to be so popular, despite lacking real keyboards, too. They're more of a pocket reader for your data than they are a tool to compose/enter data.

operator207
Dec 12, 2007, 08:17 AM
I've worked for several small to medium-size companies where over 40 cellphones were issued to their employees in each case. Yet the phones used were basic Nokia or Motorola models with NO syncing going on between them and the corporate network at all.

Sometimes, businesses provide cellphones just so they can get ahold of employees whenever it's needed ... not to give them a portable copy of their Outlook calendar, to-do list, and address book.

I could easily see iPhones slipping into these places, since they'd allow a decent-sized display for working with web-based apps, and all the basic email functionality an employee would need -- all on a flat rate unlimited data plan that's not overly costly.

Have some of you ever USED a Blackberry before? Honestly, if it wasn't for their "killer feature" of proprietary push email, it would probably be a dinosaur already. Until the new "Pearl" came out, all of them were big, oddly shaped boxes ... and the rolling ball thumb-controllers on them feel "cheap". They're certainly no shining star of web browsing capabilities either.

True, they have a tactile keyboard - but in my experience, most people just want to READ their mail on a phone, not compose big replies. That's why Palm devices used to be so popular, despite lacking real keyboards, too. They're more of a pocket reader for your data than they are a tool to compose/enter data.

+1 to what your saying.

My last work place, issued ~25 phones for the non VPs in the company. I got one. No syncing of anything. The people that got the phones were manually typing in ~200 numbers via the keypad. No one could figure out how to sync anything with the POS phones we were given. I ended up using my PB, and bluetooth, to manually sync these phones with a AB vcard dump I made. One number at a time.

The VPs could not understand why people were having trouble with this. Though they have blackberry's, and BES.

I was not even the internal support for that office, just some guy that got his AB into the phone quickly, and had everyone hounding me for the same setup.

seedster2
Dec 12, 2007, 09:25 AM

I have worked all over the east coast and have a different experience from what you have had. When Blackberries were issued, their email functionality wasnt their only consideration. Their ability to update contacts and calendars wirelessly and sync notes were also invaluable. Not to mention they had brilliant battery life and could take a beating. BB device can also be erased remotely if it were to get into the wrong hands.

I love my iPhone but to even insinuate that any corporation would consider this device for its customers is ludicrous. It will require at least two more generations to even begin penetrating serious corporate environments and at that point RIM would have already added all the multimedia functionality necessary to hold onto their casual users who love email and PIN functionality. At least MS smartphones have activesync which apple could have licensed. I dont see much effort on their part to make things right for personal email how could they tackle corporate email? I still keep my BB with me at all times because the iphone email app is crap plain and simple.

operator207
Dec 12, 2007, 11:31 AM
I have worked all over the east coast and have a different experience from what you have had. When Blackberries were issued, their email functionality wasnt their only consideration. Their ability to update contacts and calendars wirelessly and sync notes were also invaluable. Not to mention they had brilliant battery life and could take a beating. BB device can also be erased remotely if it were to get into the wrong hands.

I love my iPhone but to even insinuate that any corporation would consider this device for its customers is ludicrous. It will require at least two more generations to even begin penetrating serious corporate environments and at that point RIM would have already added all the multimedia functionality necessary to hold onto their casual users who love email and PIN functionality. At least MS smartphones have activesync which apple could have licensed. I dont see much effort on their part to make things right for personal email how could they tackle corporate email? I still keep my BB with me at all times because the iphone email app is crap plain and simple.

Yes, BB's are great (high end ones), though I prefer the iPhone. My experiences with BB's are either the Bosses phone (best one out there at any given moment since he upgraded all the damned time) or the really cheap one they gave me. There is also my wife's, and its a pretty decent curve. If they are the higher end ones, I can see why anyone would think they are cool, if they are the "2 letters per key" qwerty-esque ones, they are crap IMO.

My last (personal) phone was a WM5 8125 from Cingular, it was ok, though slow as molasses. I over clocked it, and it got a little better. I updated the WM5 on it, and it got a little better. But it would still randomly lock up. Even when reinstalled and running only on a factory setup.

I now have an iPhone, hacked with 1.1.2 on it. I will never go back to a WM5 device. Syncing usually meant "bull through china house" delete and reinsert. WiFi was almost a joke, being that it ate the battery up, and rarely could connect. The iPhone has been great, other than a few times screwing up the instructions to hack it, and bricking it for an hour (hint: forward your # to another #, it saves the 'upgrading but taking a call' problems, and if you do brick it for a while, you can at least not miss phone calls).

The only thing I miss about the WM5 phone, was VoiceCommand by M$. They really did a decent job with that.

As for the corporate insinuation's posted above, my iPhone did a great job handling it. I used it more than the company provided BB. I am not saying that it would be perfect for all companies, but for those that can, its another option than a BB, or just a phone.