PDA

View Full Version : negative reviews

atad6
Dec 6, 2007, 10:25 PM
with negative reviews, such as ilounge saying it's the lowest scoring ipod they've ever reviewed, i almost feel as though i'm missing something. I just bought a 16gb ipod touch and couldn't be happier. The interface is great, and i love the functionality with the apps. 16gb isn't as big as hard drive based players and i'm sure 32gb is right around the corner. but with smart playlists and such it's plenty. the device seems ahead of it's time compared to other media players. my only complaint is that it pretty much requires a case.

anyway, i was wondering how other touch owners feel about some of the negative reviews the touch has gotten and whether it has changed their feelings about the device.

why the negative press

airjuggernaut
Dec 6, 2007, 10:34 PM
Honestly, It is such an amazing iPod.
The only thing i dont like as of now, is the music player.
I can never listen to iPod while in bed, because, everytime I look at it, it switches to coverflow -_-
Plus the scrolling to get to songs, can be a little annoying, when you accidently press down on one of the songs.

But otherwise iPod touch is probably the best iPod i've ever seen :D

wyatt23
Dec 6, 2007, 10:36 PM
apples market domination has brought ill. i think the ipod touch is the craziest mp3 player (if it's even that anymore) i've ever seen.

caubeck
Dec 7, 2007, 04:43 AM
Honestly, It is such an amazing iPod.
The only thing i dont like as of now, is the music player.
I can never listen to iPod while in bed, because, everytime I look at it, it switches to coverflow

Either you are discovering some new Heroes power, or you're holding it very strangely, as I find no difficulty in scrolling through the song lists in bed. It doesn't change to coverflow when held upside down or if I merely look at it.

chall5
Dec 7, 2007, 05:05 AM
the only thing about it I dislike is the lack of a headphone attachment that lets me adjust volume and track skip. Turning Coverflow off would be nice aswell

caubeck
Dec 7, 2007, 05:16 AM
anyway, i was wondering how other touch owners feel about some of the negative reviews the touch has gotten and whether it has changed their feelings about the device.

why the negative press

Have you ever seen a tech-based product which did not receive negative comments by someone, somewhere, online?

The success or failure of this gadget, like any MP3, PDA or phone, depends on what you get out of it. Let's not kid ourselves, by the year 2011 these things will be cluttering our drawers, along with whatever cases and cables we buy today, and we'll be zapping our senses with something else entirely. Don't get too obsessed by reviews on stuff you already have. Does it meet your current needs? If so, enjoy.

chall5
Dec 7, 2007, 06:58 AM
Have you ever seen a tech-based product which did not receive negative comments by someone, somewhere, online?

The success or failure of this gadget, like any MP3, PDA or phone, depends on what you get out of it. Let's not kid ourselves, by the year 2011 these things will be cluttering our drawers, along with whatever cases and cables we buy today, and we'll be zapping our senses with something else entirely. Don't get too obsessed by reviews on stuff you already have. Does it meet your current needs? If so, enjoy.

well said

airjuggernaut
Dec 7, 2007, 07:24 AM
Either you are discovering some new Heroes power, or you're holding it very strangely, as I find no difficulty in scrolling through the song lists in bed. It doesn't change to coverflow when held upside down or if I merely look at it.

haha
Sorry, what I ment was, when your lying on your side, with the ipod, and your trying to use it, it changes to CoverFlow.

Mr. B
Dec 7, 2007, 07:54 AM
I find it funny that the ipod touch is being marketed as an ipod in the first place, and that they chose to tie the ipod name irremovable into the name.

just as the iphone is not an ipod but has ipod capabilities, the same is true with the ipod touch.

it's not an ipod first and foremost. It's a media browser.

it's made to go on the internet, it's made to play movies, it's made to view pictures, and when you download a few cracks, it's got the capabilities to do so much more.

the fact that it can play mp3's is all well and good, but it is CERTAINLY not the defining feature, and I doubt it is the reason most people will buy it.

clevin
Dec 7, 2007, 09:30 AM
well, they are reviewing an iPod, which iPT is not, IMHO.

reviews are meaningless since couple of "experts" can't represent billions of individuals.

667-75
Dec 7, 2007, 10:06 AM
I'm fairly happy with mine. But still there are things that annoy me, things they could have thought about

-It would have been handy to have a way to turn off coverflow. Yeah it's nice, most of the time it's practical but there are times when I'm holding my ipod in such way that it inevitably swithes to coverflow and I wish it didn't. And it's not asking for the moon, just a option in the settings.

-photo compression: the Touch has such a nice screen, and has multitouch capability, so why does iTunes always have to recompress all the pictures? It would be nice to be able to zoom in on a picture w/o ending up with a see of blurry pixels. I hardly ever use the multitouch finger thing because of that now, just because theres no point to it with pictures. Pity.

Other than that it's ok. I wouldn't say it's the best ipod ever because it might not be "just an ipod" (as said above), but it's a very nice device. However, Apple is known for their strength of always combining creative, powerful interface and features with simplicity of use, and I just wish that, on that one, they had thought about the details more thoroughly (the photo thing being more than just a mere detail).

isshou
Dec 7, 2007, 01:46 PM
I'm fairly happy with mine. But still there are things that annoy me, things they could have thought about

-It would have been handy to have a way to turn off coverflow.

When I was a small boy my teacher use to tell me "every one has an opinion, it is up to you to know which one you should take in to account" hence a negative review is some body's opinion but NOT God's.

I am also fairly happy with mine, but I do get your point regarding the coverflow.

From my point of view it would be great to have an option called "Classic" and get the classic iPod wheel drown on the screen and handle the iPod as a classic one - just with one hand-.

I imagine, sooner or later Apple or some one will come out with it.

regards.
ro

gvegastiger
Dec 7, 2007, 01:51 PM
I've had a terrible time with not one but 2 IPT's. I'm stuck with the stupid thing now and will be selling it on eBay. Way too many quirks, errors, and instability in the operating system for me.

Don't try using it on an airplane either. Both of the things crashed like crazy whenever I used them on an airplane.

Phil A.
Dec 7, 2007, 02:11 PM
From my point of view it would be great to have an option called "Classic" and get the classic iPod wheel drown on the screen and handle the iPod as a classic one - just with one hand-.

I imagine, sooner or later Apple or some one will come out with it.
regards.
ro

What a fantastic idea - a virtual classic ipod complete with virtual click wheel would be really sweet and make the touch (and iPhone) much easier to work with one hand.

Mercury7
Dec 7, 2007, 03:13 PM
Since jailbreaking this thing I no longer even think of it as an ipod....it has replaced my desktop computer almost entirely. yeah I agree that things change over time....but I really believe that this ipod is more of a preview into the future. If all the reviewers had the apps on therir touch that I do now I think it would be very hard to find bad things to say about it. I do have a wish list....but this is only generation 1, it is not an ipod, it not even a pda, its a computer! It will be exciting to see what this becomes 4 or 5 years from now...maybe they should just go ahead and rename it the mac micro lol

kockgunner
Dec 7, 2007, 07:22 PM
Since jailbreaking this thing I no longer even think of it as an ipod....it has replaced my desktop computer almost entirely. yeah I agree that things change over time....but I really believe that this ipod is more of a preview into the future. If all the reviewers had the apps on therir touch that I do now I think it would be very hard to find bad things to say about it. I do have a wish list....but this is only generation 1, it is not an ipod, it not even a pda, its a computer! It will be exciting to see what this becomes 4 or 5 years from now...maybe they should just go ahead and rename it the mac micro lol

Yeah, this ipod is probably just a test to see consumer reactions.

Even the beginning Ive never really considered the touch an ipod for some reason (ive never even owned an ipod either!)

GoodBoy
Dec 8, 2007, 02:50 AM
Well, negative reviews are based mostly on bad screen quality. Such bad quality is unaccpetable in advanced product like iPod Touch. Of course, ppl who got lucky buying iPod with good quality will not understand bad rewievs and opinion those who got iPods with terrible screen....

Richard.John
Dec 8, 2007, 06:40 PM
It's an excellent device. I love mine.

Anuba
Dec 8, 2007, 09:06 PM
It's a lovely product that rendered all my previous iPods antique after 30 seconds of usage. Everyone I show it to is blown away, the pinch-and-zoom technique being the obvious money shot. I can't really think of anything negative to say... OK, it's a bit of an elephant next to the Nano, but how could it not be. Screen viewing angle is a tad narrow. And it does have a few bugs -- Safari crashes so often it makes Windows ME look stable. I'm a little bothered by not having instant access to play/pause and volume control (would a second physical button hurt that much?). And as always, I deeply loathe Apple's adamant refusal to let us swap batteries on the fly because Steve is obsessed with thinness and smooth surfaces, but that goes for all iPods and the iPhone so the Touch can't be singled out for it.

But these are really non-issues since my gripes are all about functionality that no other mp3 players have anyway. The parts that count (music and video playback and navigation) blow everything else away, other iPods included. Best Apple product I've owned.

Having said that, the Touch has alerted me to the fact that the iPhone (which isn't available in my country yet) perhaps isn't all that. The entertainment portion of the iPhone (i.e. iPod Touch) is flawless, it's the productivity/utility aspects I'm skeptical about, particularly the onscreen keyboard. I don't have big fat fingers and my motor skills are... well let's just say that I play serious classical guitar, for one -- but I still can't type a single word on the Touch without getting one or two typos in there. It feels like mending an analog wristwatch with boxing gloves on. And while I was initially amazed by "mini-Safari", surfing on the Touch is starting to annoy me now. It misinterprets me a lot and I hate having to wait for every last byte to load before I can start zooming and navigating properly.

i0Nic
Dec 8, 2007, 10:01 PM
The negative reviews are because it's a hard to not compare it to the superior iPhone. Particularly pre-jailbreak, it comes off as being a pale imitation to the iPhone, yet with a similiar price tag.

I love my iPod touch, and when the iPhone is available in my country I will sell the touch and buy it.

ScottFitz
Dec 8, 2007, 10:03 PM
I'm still going to keep my nano 2g for music. My touch is for multimedia! Typing on it right now.

I find it funny that the ipod touch is being marketed as an ipod in the first place, and that they chose to tie the ipod name irremovable into the name.

just as the iphone is not an ipod but has ipod capabilities, the same is true with the ipod touch.

it's not an ipod first and foremost. It's a media browser.

it's made to go on the internet, it's made to play movies, it's made to view pictures, and when you download a few cracks, it's got the capabilities to do so much more.

the fact that it can play mp3's is all well and good, but it is CERTAINLY not the defining feature, and I doubt it is the reason most people will buy it.

kylos
Dec 8, 2007, 10:04 PM
It's a lovely product that rendered all my previous iPods antique after 30 seconds of usage. Everyone I show it to is blown away, the pinch-and-zoom technique being the obvious money shot. I can't really think of anything negative to say... OK, it's a bit of an elephant next to the Nano, but how could it not be. Screen viewing angle is a tad narrow. And it does have a few bugs -- Safari crashes so often it makes Windows ME look stable. I'm a little bothered by not having instant access to play/pause and volume control (would a second physical button hurt that much?). And as always, I deeply loathe Apple's adamant refusal to let us swap batteries on the fly because Steve is obsessed with thinness and smooth surfaces, but that goes for all iPods and the iPhone so the Touch can't be singled out for it.

But these are really non-issues since my gripes are all about functionality that no other mp3 players have anyway. The parts that count (music and video playback and navigation) blow everything else away, other iPods included. Best Apple product I've owned.

Having said that, the Touch has alerted me to the fact that the iPhone (which isn't available in my country yet) perhaps isn't all that. The entertainment portion of the iPhone (i.e. iPod Touch) is flawless, it's the productivity/utility aspects I'm skeptical about, particularly the onscreen keyboard. I don't have big fat fingers and my motor skills are... well let's just say that I play serious classical guitar, for one -- but I still can't type a single word on the Touch without getting one or two typos in there. It feels like mending an analog wristwatch with boxing gloves on. And while I was initially amazed by "mini-Safari", surfing on the Touch is starting to annoy me now. It misinterprets me a lot and I hate having to wait for every last byte to load before I can start zooming and navigating properly.

About the fat-fingering, on the Touch most typing is short phrases that can't take advantage of the auto-correct feature (proper names, urls, user names, passwords), so you don't really get a good impression of how effective typing actually can be on the Touch or iPhone when typing actual sentences. Try typing a sentence or two in the calendar or Contacts apps and let the auto-correct do its part. You can often wildly misspell words but once you hit the space bar it manages to guess the right word. The only error it really misses is swapping o's and i's in short words because there may be two valid words to choose from. I can misspell more than 50% of a word and it will still get it right.

franzmueller
Dec 9, 2007, 12:29 AM
So here is my review

Starting from the top

- Safari 9/10 ( still crashes a lot when playing music ) software issue can be fixed
- Youtube 10/10
- iCal 9/10 ( missing some features ) software .....
- Contacts 10/10
- Clock 10/10 ( love the way you set up the time !! )
- Calculator 9/10 ( missing some more functions ) again software
- Music 8 /10 ( would like to be able to turn the cover flow off and missing some external buttons for control ) software and hardware ( to bad the buttons canīt be added to this device )
- Videos 10/10
-Photos 9/10 ( missing some better resolution )... software
-iTunes 9/10 ( missing some more functions like podcasts or video content ) software

Overall I am very happy with my touch , 16 gb is enough for my needs , this device has already replaced my " filofax " and my pda .

I still use my nano 2nd in my car ( way easier to control my music while driving ) and my shuffle when doing shopping or workouts .

But to be able to check out how the wind conditions are ( to go kiting ) thru safari , or check the latest news is fantastic . ( as long as I am in a wifi spot of course )

Killing the dead time by watching some youtube vids , podcasts or even a video is ahead of everything else , the screen quality is superb .

Typing on the " virtual " keyboard is not an issue for me and I am looking forward to be able to download some programs I would like to have like : to do things , notes , flashlight , and maybe the ability of been able to read my e-mails on mac.com , some games .... ( nope I donīt want to jailbreak my pod )

So for a 1 gen product it deserves 9/10 , I am sure next generations will include more features like a camera ? exterior buttons for control , a speaker ( I hope so )

Since the iphone is not arriving in Spain anytime soon ( mid - end 2008 ) my touch is indeed my best ipod ever :p

Saludos