Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Can anybody recommend a Pro Tools setup that could be had for around $1000 or so?

I am a Garageband master and I love it right now. It has some limitations that are bothersome but a clever mind can get around them with some time and patience. But that is the thing now I guess, TIME. And even though ideally I think it's awesome to create high quality matireal with relatively little means, for various reasons it is becoming increasingly apparent to me that it would be easier for me to work with Pro Tools.

I am thinking about getting my own high end preamp (need some help on that too but I'll make another thread later) just for recording vocals so the Pro Tools rig would be separate from this. So I don't want to be redundant though. I don't want to get one of the mbox jobs that already have preamps, you know? But I also don't see any packages that don't come wth interfaces and preamps already.

But when it comes to recording drums I need at least 5 mics and I can't find any Pro Tools rigs that have more than 4 mic inputs. Whats up with that? Presonus sells you 8 mic inputs for a few hundred and Digidesign sells you just a few for a few thousand.

So I need some help here deciding what route to go and most of all what my options are.

I still think that one could produce hit song recordings with only one lousy microphone, Garageband, a clever mind and a ton of time but I have a feeling that it'd be a hell of a lot faster with something like Pro Tools. Time is more important right now and more time needs to be spent writing and arrangeing than finding wierd crazy methods to trick Garageband into doing things that I want.

Tarkovsky

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2007
London/Norwich
The digi 002 with the Black Lion Audio mods looks pretty nice. They've released the digi 003 which isn't very different at all IMO, which has knocked the 002s price right down. I haven't' heard it but I was thinking of bighting the bullet in the new year. It has the inputs and outputs you need and works with PTLE. Apparently the modded pres are actually very nice, though as I said, I haven't actually heard it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.