PDA

View Full Version : Existing Netgear wireless network & AE card

radhak
Sep 27, 2003, 05:41 PM
First of all - I have got my first iMac ! 1.25GHz, 768 MB Ram & AE card. Ordered yesterday, received today.
:D Finally my signature can be what I have been wanting... :D

Now my problem : I have an existing wireless network with a Netgear Router MR814-v2. My IBM thinkpad connects to the internet just fine (posting from there) but I am unable to get my new baby to connect to the internet. I installed the card fine, and the software; went thru the motions - it even seems to recognize the network for it prompted me to connect to the existing network 'NETGEAR' automatically; but then it says 'cannot connect, check that the router is switched on'.
Called Apple, the lady simply told me she has no clue about Netgear, so call Netgear. Which i did, and that guy did spend some time with me and tried out a few routines, but finally gave up and told me to get in touch with Apple!

So now I have only here to turn to. I hope there is somebody here who has tried this before; just need some pointers.... :(

-------------------------------------------
iMac 1.25GHz, 768 MB Ram, AE

Chealion
Sep 27, 2003, 06:11 PM
Do you have WEP enabled? Or MAC (Media Access Control) Address filtering? You may want to check your settings on your router first, as Netgear is usually quite friendly when interacting with Macs.

radhak
Sep 27, 2003, 08:23 PM
WEP in disabled in my wireless; how do i do the MAC address filtering?
Actually, i have misplaced the manual that came with the Netgear router, so don't remember the basic steps to get a wireless computer up-and-running. Anybody knows where i can find it online? Vaguely remember there is some switch-off-everything-first involved...

fraeone
Sep 27, 2003, 08:38 PM
MAC Filtering on many Netgear routers (that one included) is found under Wireless Settings->Setup Access List. You should also check that your router is providing DHCP service. If your Thinkpad is set up w/ a static ip then there is a good chance your iMac is sitting there waiting for an ip address to be assigned to it. To check if DHCP is running, go to "LAN IP Setup" on your router.

To find the Manuals, check out http://www.netgear.com/support/support_dnld.asp?prodNum=MR814v2 (Netgear Support)

Good luck!

fraeone

radhak
Sep 29, 2003, 06:16 AM
Resolved it! Finally found a post via Google that advised to upgrade the Netgear firmware; once done, connected with no further hassle! Life is beautiful. :p :D :)
[ Funny - spent a half-hour with the Netgear support, and he had no clue about this, despite my asking him directly if there was any driver / upgrades i should be doing! He actually said - 'no, nothing needed!!'. I hope somebody conveys this to Netgear. No me, if that means being on hold for 20 minutes again ;) ]

Thanks for your suggestions and the link. I was groping in the dark before :confused:

Boy, does this baby look beautiful... I hope I can function at work with Windows machines ;)

uptick
Sep 29, 2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by radhak
Resolved it! Finally found a post via Google that advised to upgrade the Netgear firmware; once done, connected with no further hassle! Life is beautiful. :p :D :)
[ Funny - spent a half-hour with the Netgear support, and he had no clue about this, despite my asking him directly if there was any driver / upgrades i should be doing! He actually said - 'no, nothing needed!!'. I hope somebody conveys this to Netgear. No me, if that means being on hold for 20 minutes again ;) ]

Thanks for your suggestions and the link. I was groping in the dark before :confused:

Boy, does this baby look beautiful... I hope I can function at work with Windows machines ;)

Just wondering, how is your range with your Airport set-up?
I also recently got a Mac - the 15" Powerbook G$, :D , and have it set up working with a Netgear WAP, in WEP mode. It's operating in 802.11b, but I've noticed that my distance to the WAP is about cut in half (versus using a Netgear card in a PC laptop) to get reasonable reception in the same environmental conditions.

radhak
Sep 29, 2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by uptick
Just wondering, how is your range with your Airport set-up?
I also recently got a Mac - the 15" Powerbook G$, :D , and have it set up working with a Netgear WAP, in WEP mode. It's operating in 802.11b, but I've noticed that my distance to the WAP is about cut in half (versus using a Netgear card in a PC laptop) to get reasonable reception in the same environmental conditions.

My iMac is just about 20 feet away from the router in the next room. I have not experimented with it yet, so this might not help you much. I do not see any difference from the speed on my thinkpad, but then the thinkpad stays even closer, generally in the same room as the router (used as a desktop).
As such I guess you with a PB would have the distance issue more than me with an iMac (because you'd keep moving)...

uptick
Sep 29, 2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by radhak
My iMac is just about 20 feet away from the router in the next room. I have not experimented with it yet, so this might not help you much. I do not see any difference from the speed on my thinkpad, but then the thinkpad stays even closer, generally in the same room as the router (used as a desktop).
As such I guess you with a PB would have the distance issue more than me with an iMac (because you'd keep moving)...

would be nice to get an actual % signal strength reading, rather than the few "radio waves" on the Airport icon in the menu bar, ...or I am not looking in the right place for that kind of info??

baby duck monge
Sep 30, 2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by uptick
would be nice to get an actual % signal strength reading, rather than the few "radio waves" on the Airport icon in the menu bar, ...or I am not looking in the right place for that kind of info??

not exaclty a percent, but more accurate...

click your airport menu item and choose "open internet connect" while airport is turned on

alxths
Oct 2, 2003, 09:23 PM
radhak, could you possibly give a link to where you found the info about a firmware update? I think I'm having the same problem as you with my mr814 v2 and new 12" pb.
Thanks.

alxths
Oct 2, 2003, 09:38 PM
Actually, I found the firmware update on teh website...

the problem I'm having now is that I can't even connect to the router..the internet is working, but when I type in the routers IP address to access it, nothing happens.

radhak
Oct 3, 2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by alxths
Actually, I found the firmware update on teh website...

the problem I'm having now is that I can't even connect to the router..the internet is working, but when I type in the routers IP address to access it, nothing happens.

alxths,
you cannot get this working by using the wireless with the pb. There are two ways about it :

a. The fact that you have Netgear router means you have a wintel pc/laptop, right? Then you need to login to the router via that and upgrade the firmware there with your download.

b. If not, connect your PB to the router physically, using the network cable, then you should be able to get the router server come up when you type its address http://192.168.0.1
then you can upgrade the firmware as above.

Please tell me if you need further help.

alxths
Oct 3, 2003, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the reply.

It turned out in the end to be an Internet Explorer problem... My first try logging on with Netscape worked perfectly.. don't know why I didn't think of it before. A nice last reminder of what I'm leaving behind me, I guess. :)

filmmaker2002
Oct 3, 2003, 11:07 PM
Thanks guys, I was having the same problem with my Netgear router (MR814 v2)

filmmaker2002
Oct 4, 2003, 09:25 PM
Did anyone else have problems downloading the firmware. It seems to be taking forever. It seems to go to 100% but it doesn't fully complete.

alxths
Oct 4, 2003, 11:02 PM
Yes, I did actually... I downloading with my PC and uploading it from there..

filmmaker2002
Oct 5, 2003, 12:41 AM
It must be a Safari problem, it worked with IE.