Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theovandoesburg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2003
New London, CT
My school has a DSL connection, and I want to plug in a Netgear WGT624 (wireless firewall router w/ access point) into the library via an Ethernet outlet in the wall. My plan is to start the wireless connection in the library, and then eventually spread it out so that it can reach the dorms (about 250ft. away). I want to know whether I should just buy an Access Point with nothing else, or if the WGT624 is the right way to go.

Can a remote Access Point (not plugged into anything - standing alone) receive signals from an Access Point plugged into the wired LAN? I ask this because the dorms have no connection to the network (no outlets or anything), and I was wondering if I could strategically place remote Access Points around campus to receive signals from the wired Access Point.

What do I need to spread this connection out? Do I need routers, access points, etc? Or will just Access Points do the job? I know that a router enables the use of a single IP address for multiple users (or something like that), and if I were to have the WGT624 in the library, and then set up WG602's (Access Points) around the campus, would it spread a single IP-address across campus?

As you can see, I am very confused about all this, but I want to be able to spread the network out (roaming or daisy-chaining -- or however you call it). I want to put something in that will allow me to monitor who uses the wireless connections, and such.

I am in desperate need of help. How does it all work!!!!!!!!??????????

If you need to talk to me directly my e-mail address is theovandoesburg@aol.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.