Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2003
I am trying to use an Airport base station to set up a computer to computer network, between my Powerbook G4 1GHz and my iMac G3 450. So far not having much luck, the iMac seems reluctant to join a network. I have installed the Airport card with the adapter, could this be something to do with the age of the machine? Is it because the base station is an Airport extreme model?

Ideally, I would like to leave my permanent DSL connection running on the iMac, and be able to access it via Airport from the Powerbook as required. What do you think of my chances?!

Any advice gratefully received,

Stan

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Jaguar (10.2) makes internet sharing pretty easy, so I'd say it's a simple task to ditch the base station and go through the iMac.

Have you double-checked the settings in the base station and in the iMac to make sure everything is OK?

tangerinedream

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2003
Boston
try updating the software-

I realized that sounds as silly as saying "is it plugged in?" I was trying to admin an airport extreme bs from my powerbook that had been previously taken care of by a flat panel imac. When I called Apple support the guy on the phone made fun of me (almost :) when we both realized I was running an older version of the software on the powerbook- I just assumed I had installed the updates. Check to see if you're running v 3.11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.