Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
At least they are showing something positive about the apple experience and they do have shop assistants in pc shops.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Mac mumbles when he talks. E-nun-ci-ate!

Why does PC do almost all of the talking in so many of these commercials? I'd like to hear more about what's great about Macs, and Mac barely gets a word in. Maybe if he had more lines, he could practice his speaking style.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA

Why does PC do almost all of the talking in so many of these commercials? I'd like to hear more about what's great about Macs, and Mac barely gets a word in. Maybe if he had more lines, he could practice his speaking style.

Maybe it's a subliminal thing. Mac doesn't need to say a lot to get the point across while PC is always yammering on and on and on... If I had to choose between 2 computers, I would choose the one that quietly does its job well.

Draddy

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
Maybe it's a subliminal thing. Mac doesn't need to say a lot to get the point across while PC is always yammering on and on and on... If I had to choose between 2 computers, I would choose the one that quietly does its job well.

when's the last time you saw a windows commercial?

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
when's the last time you saw a windows commercial?

I was jokingly making it deeper than it really is. forgot to throw the nifty ;) in there.

And yes, MS is blessed with the ability to have all the computer manufacturers do all the advertising for them. If we are going to go down that route, Dell's commercials used to sound like car commercials. I hate car commercials

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

these are getting old, but at least the marketshares are decreasing/increasing so they must be working.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
The last 2 adverts haven't been all that funny. But they come in sets of three normally, so maybe the next one will be okay.

MisterToad

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Derbyshire
I see many of you think these ads are a bit lame, but personally I like them. They are short (totally agree with adrianblaine), punchy, light humoured and tell the viewer how laid back and easy life is with a Mac and I think this one actually speaks volumes (no pun intended... well okay maybe:D) about the bookshelf of a PC user to that of a Mac user. As a switcher in early 2005, I still have around 25 PC books on my shelf (gathering dust :)) as opposed to 7 Mac based books that I got in 2005 when I got the first Mac. Where I think many of us will agree is with Mac it is so intuitive you just really don't need a book to learn the product.

Really don't want to kick Windows, I honestly think it has its place along with Linux etc, but this ad says to the millions of parents who go into a store every year knowing they want a computer, but not much more:confused:, that Mac is a simple platform and easier to learn than Windows.

I may be wrong on this and you may well lay into me, but I am going to say what I believe and not what I think will get me favour here ;) My experience of real people is that many parents don't actually buy a computer with gaming in the forefront of their mind. They are thinking about a big purchase for many of them and primarily as an investment in their kids. They will also be wanting to use it themselves but the kids are the first in mind in justifying this purchase. They see the computer as giving their kids some sort of an advantage academically, the games then tag on the end of the conversation or via the salesman.

If there is an ad that is now familiar, short (really important) and light, that tells them the Mac is easy, they are going to get the message. The sales mentioned by matthewHUB seem to show that is working, albeit slowly.

What Apple need to tackle now are the people who still only see the cost and say "I can get a PC for 200 quid, why would I pay 700 quid for a Mac?:confused:" I would like to see ads showing Windows running on the Mac, showing how well and easy it works.

That's just what I think.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
What Apple need to tackle now are the people who still only see the cost and say "I can get a PC for 200 quid, why would I pay 700 quid for a Mac?:confused:" I would like to see ads showing Windows running on the Mac, showing how well and easy it works.

I don't know if I want to see that commercial. I like them standing next to each other, not Mac giving PC a piggy back ride. Or, I guess it has the possibility to be the funniest commercial ever.

I think people don't like some of the commercials because now that there are so many of them, some just stand out as duds. Like the boxing one. I hate it so much, I try mute the TV when it comes on.

I love the podium one though. "Ask not what Vista can do for you, but what you can buy for Vista". My other favorite one is "Choose a Vista"

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY

It is the point of the commercials. The PC Guy is actually the better actor and comedian. Their are two ways of advertising Make people feel good about the product, or feel feel bad about what they have.
Because more people use PCs, You will need them to realize that their PCs are giving them pain and show that the Macs are much easier. Saying how great Macs are won't do anything really because if people are happy with their PC's then there is no reason to switch.
This PC Guys job is to show the faults in the PC and the Mac guy just needs to say this isn't a problem.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002

Ever use Windows XP or Windows Vista? The damn thing won't shut up about things you already know.

OS X is getting worse though, the fact that the OS has to remind me that I killed an app because it was being unresponsive gets on my nerves.

While this is certainly not the best ad Apple's put out in this campaign, it does make a fair point.

The problem is the general public is so used to how things are with Windows (and so unfamiliar with anything else) that you need something they find as approachable to explain to them the heavy burden they are being forced to carry (with respect to all the factors and elements of system maintenance, defense, etc.) are, in fact, optional, rather than a "normal part" of computer ownership.

A friend of mine recently observed that Vista is doing more for Apple than almost anything Apple's ever done, short of perhaps the iPod. I mean, how telling is it when WinXP is considered by many an upgrade from Vista?

It's taken a fair amount of pounding from all sides, but people are just finally starting to get the message that there are alternatives, and that those alternatives are viable ones.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
PeeCees

It is the point of the commercials. The PC Guy is actually the better actor and comedian. Their are two ways of advertising Make people feel good about the product, or feel feel bad about what they have.
Because more people use PCs, You will need them to realize that their PCs are giving them pain and show that the Macs are much easier. Saying how great Macs are won't do anything really because if people are happy with their PC's then there is no reason to switch.
This PC Guys job is to show the faults in the PC and the Mac guy just needs to say this isn't a problem.

This is true. PC users often need to be reminded of the hell they've become conditioned to tolerate, and come to realize that suffering isn't really necessary.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
I don't know if I want to see that commercial. I like them standing next to each other, not Mac giving PC a piggy back ride. Or, I guess it has the possibility to be the funniest commercial ever.

I think people don't like some of the commercials because now that there are so many of them, some just stand out as duds. Like the boxing one. I hate it so much, I try mute the TV when it comes on.

I love the podium one though. "Ask not what Vista can do for you, but what you can buy for Vista". My other favorite one is "Choose a Vista"

Hating the commercials makes them that much more effective for consumers - the more annoying - the more successful in the retail world.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA

John Hodgman (PC), ironically enough, offers more for the commercials than Justin Long (Mac). ...He's the comedian, Long is simply the actor. ...Without Hodgman, these commercials wouldn't be nearly as successful.

As far as this ad goes: meh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.